PDA

View Full Version : RC Booster vs. Fulltone Fat Boost

A440
01-31-2005, 03:05 PM
both of these in the same price range.

the RC may be a bit more versatile with it's bass/treb controls?

any feedback regarding either of these is appreciated!

dankayaker
01-31-2005, 03:17 PM
I like my Fat Boost better, seems to thicked other OD pedals better IMO.

Scott Peterson
01-31-2005, 03:53 PM
I had a Fat Boost for two years; within 4 days of getting the RC Boost, the Fat Boost was sold to my bass buddy.

The RC just does more better IMHO. Sold me in a huge way. Felt more organic and sounded better across the spectrum from lows to highs.

Just my opinion.

vagn
01-31-2005, 04:14 PM
I have had Rc-booster for a year and I still think it smokes , I use voodoo1 for a milder clean boost with a vibe to it.
Im looking forward to hear more about the OCD Mthompson is really hyped about

Bradders
01-31-2005, 05:35 PM
the RC's just way more versatile than the fat-boost.

The RQ really works and you can dial in some pretty decent sounds using it.

Tons of volume and drive on tap - -just an overall good thing to have, in my humble opinion of course

Bradders

ES330
01-31-2005, 05:39 PM
RC Boost

vagn
01-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Yes the EQ on RC is great
When you boost the treble it sounds beutifull to me , no icy at all.
Just defined tube distortion
The basses are really tight and punchy.

EL34
01-31-2005, 07:04 PM
I'll join the chorus...had a Fatboost, thought I loved it until I got an RC. The Fatboost is long gone...:D

LSchefman
01-31-2005, 08:26 PM
I like the thing the Fatboost does with single coils.

OOG
02-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by LSchefman
I like the thing the Fatboost does with single coils.

i love it
but gotta admit, i haven't heard the RC

ToneDog
02-01-2005, 07:38 AM
The RC Booster was the 9th clean boost I bought and it was the one that made me stop looking for a clean boost. I've been using it for close to a year now and no other clean boost is as versatile or sounds as good in my rig. The hands-down winner for me. Other I tried include:

Rx Germ
Fatboost
Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
BJF Baby Pink
Nick Greer Sonic Boom
Nick Greer Royal Fromage
Z Vex SHO
Barber Launch Pad

jokerjkny
02-01-2005, 11:49 AM
yea,

i too like what the Fat Boost does with singles. the RC is a great pedal, but it feels different under my fingers. almost a more woody, stiffer feel, no matter the EQ. still, it does make it a heckuva lot more versatile.

either one would make a dooder happy.

bmf5150
02-01-2005, 10:03 PM
what amps have you guys tried the rc booster on?plexi?

Scott Peterson
02-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by bmf5150
what amps have you guys tried the rc booster on?plexi?

Bogner Shiva, Bogner Ecstasy Classic, GT Soul-O 45, Rivera Rake, GDS 18watt, VHT Pittbull 45, VHT Pittbull 50/ST.

zoooombiex
02-01-2005, 11:49 PM
i had both of these (among many other boosts). as people have mentioned, both of these are good, but i think they do different things. i liked the way the fatboost fattened up the tone (no pun intended), but the rc was probably a better neutral/clean boost. for what it's worth, i sold the rc boost and kept the fatboost (at least for now). i kept a zvex 2-in-1 for clean boosting.

[also, i do use single coils, so that seems to support the people above who said that the fatboost does much better on them than HB]

bmf5150
02-02-2005, 06:11 AM
thanks guys

steve10358
02-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Allow me to throw one more into the mix...

Time machine boost. Quieter than Xotic and simply more toneful.

S.

bmf5150
02-02-2005, 09:48 PM
im interested in the lynch time machine boost..

A440
02-03-2005, 11:13 AM
hmm....TMB, ay ?

would prefer the smaller footprint of an mxr size box (I know keeley does the katana).

I have a zoom pd-01 which does a nice clean boost. will have to give that one a try again.

guitarnyc
01-21-2007, 06:37 PM
I was in the market for a Fat Boost and Keeley sent me out a Katana...I played one at a show and fell in love with it...before that I was digging the fat boost...both great pedals !

Brett Valentine
01-21-2007, 09:12 PM
I see I'm going to probably be no help at all. I have both, like both. They have different characters. The Fat Boost does what its name says. The RC Boost can give you a flat boost, or you can tweak it to be shimmery or dark with a large bottom end, but different than the FatBoost. The reason I'm no help is that the 2 compliment each other. I tend to use the Fat Boost as a very low level OD. Run the RC Boost right in front of it with the treble boosted a bit, the output boosted just a bit, and the gain set to a light "sizzle" and you've got a great low OD tone (watch the bass of the RC going into the FatBoost). Run that infront of a slightly cooking amp and you've got a pretty great tone. Being able to switch between one or the other, or use both gives you some good options.

see what I mean? no help

btdvox
01-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Super Hard on for me. or Super Duper 2 in 1-

Realfi
01-22-2007, 06:29 AM
I had the Fatboost for a few years.

I really liked the way it thickened the trebles on my Teles but I found it a bit unbalanced in the way it made the bass strings bloom.

Next up was a Sexdrive- that was really cool but just a bit bright for me with the Teles. It had a great vibe though.

Next was the RC Boost which for me is more usable than either. The EQ enabled me to get a good match for my un-boosted amp sound and I can dial in a bit more compression or simulated "sag" with the gain control if I want.

The RC is the one I use if I want a fairly neutral sounding boost with very subtle thickening.

If I want FAT I use the Klon which although it is quite coloured, is both bigger sounding than the Fatboost and tighter on the low strings.

tinkercity
02-26-2007, 09:41 PM
I am looking for something to boost my solos with a very thick sustain that sings. I have a TS-9 Silver/808 that I would stack the booster with...I'm looking at the RC, Fat and the TMB....which would you recommend? Tones sought after: Trey Anastasio, Derek Trucks and Santana. All very mid thick sustaining and juicy tones.

Thanks! Sorry to dig up and hijack!:)
Mike.

Guinness Lad
02-26-2007, 10:52 PM
I had a Fat Boost for two years; within 4 days of getting the RC Boost, the Fat Boost was sold to my bass buddy.

The RC just does more better IMHO. Sold me in a huge way. Felt more organic and sounded better across the spectrum from lows to highs.

Just my opinion.

+1 the fat boost is Tubville in a big way. Unless your playing a Fender twin with the bright switch on and the treble at 6, I don't really think the Fat Boost is that great. The RC Booster is a great clean boost.

dewman
02-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Just bought the RC booster yesterday- will give it some time, but already I can see it is very nice. Hard to turn it off.

I have a fatboost so I am doing the A/B experiment now.

Anyone ever run them in tandem, set at appropriate levels?

the-tone
02-27-2007, 02:26 PM
The RC to me is 100% natural and that’s what I want. The Fat boost changed my sound.
The RC sounds like my amp, just louder and I can add a little grit if I want to and it still sounds like my amp, way more versatile and natural, It just feel better, To Me. RC does not mess with the feel of my amp, and I dig that.

phoenix 7
02-27-2007, 02:48 PM
I've got a FB and an RC. They're good for different stuff IMO. I like the clean boost on the RC better than the clean boost on the FB -- it's more natural across the frequency range. The FB is definitely more midrangey -- that's the "fat" thing. Transparent it really isn't.

I love the RC for crunchy, organic sounding rhythm playing, too, when you crank the gain on it. And the EQ is great too. But I like the FB better for slightly overdriven lead playing. The FB is now functioning as a third, light crunch channel for my Shiva. I use the RC to boost my Strat up to the level of my Les Paul and to EQ it a bit. The RC sounds a bit thin on solos when you crank the gain, but nice for solo stuff at cleaner settings. Neither is as good as my Klon for clean boost! Just my experience.

twangbanger
02-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Rc Booster,one of my favorite pedals!

shooto
02-27-2007, 06:25 PM
RC ....great pedal-

Desperado
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
I use a Twin Reverb and other 100watt amps and a Strat...what would compliment this sound better the RC Booster or the Fat Boost? I don't play with the bright switch on BTW. I also have nothing against the Barber Launch Pad or the Keeley Katana if people like those better.

GTRJohnny
03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
The FB gives a thickness to the high strings for solos, but also adds some sparkle to the top-end. I run it last in the chain and it really widens and helps overdrives. Never tried the RC, but would like to...

Brett Valentine
03-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Depends upon what you're after.

Okay, I'll do a "side by side" and record my impressions.

Tor the amp, I've gotta use the Guitar Port (especially at 11:00pm). Fender based amp (I assume you're talking about clean amp?). The guitar is a TexMex Strat -Classic Stack neck(switchable to single coil), stock middle, Lil '59 bridge (second tone pot re-wired as a "spin-a-split control to blend from hb to single coil) master tone control (TBX with a .047mf cap). Monster Rock Performer 500 cable.

FAT-Boost
The FatBoost can make a Strat sound a slight bit chunkier without taking away from the top end with the tone and with the input gain maxed out. Once you start rolling the tone back a little, the tone gets warmer, and then when you boost the volume, that makes it fatter. To get the Fat Boost to clip a little bit more, you really need humbuckers or a clean boost in front of it.

If you pick staccato with your fingers, the sound get's very percussive on the bottom end (great sound). What's nice is that the tone control gives you a lot of control over the amount of warmth (roll off) on the top end so it feels like it gets fatter before it gets darker (which happens from 9:00 to minimum). The bottom end is what it is. Response is very open and dynamic.

RC Boost
The RC Boost, with tone controls neutral and gain minimized sounds tonally neutral. You can feel it start to squeeze around the edges (in a really good, natural way) when you really dig in. With the gain at 12:00, you are at the maximum gain of the Fat Boost. With the gain maxed out, the bottom end get's a little bit bigger (a la Fat Boost) and the clipping get's a little bit looser.

Bringing the gain back to 12:00 and boosting the treble and bass to somewhere between 1:00 - 2:00 gives you chime with added percussiveness and fullness on the bottom end which balances the top end and keeps things from sounding shrill. Everything kind of gets a sheen and a sparkle around the edges. Great sound. Sort of like a bigger than life Strat. Just by rolling the treble back to 11:00 get's you into that warmer fatter territory, but the top end get's darker quicker as the roll off sweep is not as large as the FatBoost's tone control (especially as it is active cut/boost).

Rolling the tone controls back to around 10:00 and boosting the gain to 2:00 brings out the mids and makes things sound dirty. This tone on the neck p/u playing 3 and 4 note shell voicings makes for a very convincing (to my ears) alternative jazz tone.

With bass at 12:00 tone rolled off just a touch, gain at 1:00, and you can get pretty Knopfler-esque. Add an Orange Squeezer based compressor and some nice reverb and you're really there.

There are so many tones here, this pedal really needs presets!

Conclusions
Both have a subtle compression, but the FatBoost is a little bit more open. When pushed, the FatBoost can get a little aggressive but in a looser way than the RC Boost. The breakup on the RC Boost is a little bit tighter but still on the looser side of things, especially when set much past 1:00. The FatBoost can give you flavors of headroom and clarity depending upon the voltage you apply. Less than 9v gives less headroom and more grit. The RC Boost has the advantage of getting grighter and clearer without having to use the amp's bright switch.

For variety, the RC Boost is tough to beat, but the FatBoost has its own thing going. That bottom end percussiveness and tone rolled down is just funky (especially with fingers). My favorite thing about the Fat-Boost though is the way other pedals drive it. Run after a FullDrive2 (which is pretty smooth even in comp cut mode) the tone gets very aggressive (the combination feels more like a Boogie than a TS clone and a boost).

Any help? I can't tell you which one fits better as I think they both sound pretty good. The RC Boost is a lot more flexible though.

Brett