PDA

View Full Version : Need a thick fuzz for heavy riffing

Blingdogg
02-05-2010, 06:36 PM
I have a Big Muff already, and while I like it, sometimes it sounds too over the top, too much feedback and gain, and too modern. I like a late 60s and 70s rock sound (Hendrix, Zeppelin, Clapton etc...) but also a kind of Black Keys heavy fuzz. Besides the Muff, I have a Hendrix fuzz face and an EHX Double Muff. I'm looking for not a fuzz that's always on, but stomped on for the riff. Doesn't need to clean up with the volume or anything, I'd probably stack it with my fuzz face that's always on.

Maybe a tonebender? I never tried one. Or maybe a toned-down, blues-rockier, tamer Muff-style fuzz.

I had my eye on the Deep Trip Hellbender. I heard the Stomp under Foot fuzzes are good too.

Purplexi
02-05-2010, 07:12 PM
MJM China Fuzz(boutique version of Univox Super fuzz, slight octave tone)
Mahoney BuzzTone(reissue of the jordon BossTone fuzz)
KR Fuzzoid(KR's Baldwin Burns "Buzz Around" fuzz)

triple fun!

basicaudio
02-05-2010, 07:17 PM
+1
Mahoney Buzztone !

marvelboy_04
02-05-2010, 07:32 PM
maybe a muff with more clarity? ive heard goo dthings about the stomp under foot violet rams head muff or blackout effectors musket or fixd fuzz?

zerorez
02-05-2010, 07:40 PM
D*A*M Meathead highly recomended! ;)

Snowdog74
02-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Devi Ever has a lot of cool fuzz pedals to pick from , I'm getting one soon as I decide which one.

fieldsroyal
02-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Might i suggest the Prescription Electronics Yardbox - nails the Zeppelin sounds imo - and not quite as rude sounding as other (more fancied) bender clones.

amphead777
02-05-2010, 09:07 PM
KR Fuzzoid(KR's Baldwin Burns "Buzz Around" fuzz)+1 the clip on his website is stunning

LowWatt
02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler. Here is a review I wrote recently :
http://www.guitarscanada.com/content.php?197-Dr-Scientist-Frazz-Dazzler

this1smyne
02-05-2010, 10:01 PM
musket fuzz... can get most fuzz tones out of it, my only complaint is that its not really 'loud' but definitely does the wall of noise.

cbpickin
02-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Musket V2 will do what you are asking for perfectly.

jazzandmetal?
02-05-2010, 11:38 PM

This. Or get a Skin Pimp MKIII and ask for a little more bass.

NBarnes21
02-05-2010, 11:44 PM
I have a Big Muff already, and while I like it, sometimes it sounds too over the top, too much feedback and gain, and too modern. I like a late 60s and 70s rock sound (Hendrix, Zeppelin, Clapton etc...) but also a kind of Black Keys heavy fuzz. Besides the Muff, I have a Hendrix fuzz face and an EHX Double Muff. I'm looking for not a fuzz that's always on, but stomped on for the riff. Doesn't need to clean up with the volume or anything, I'd probably stack it with my fuzz face that's always on.

Maybe a tonebender? I never tried one. Or maybe a toned-down, blues-rockier, tamer Muff-style fuzz.

I had my eye on the Deep Trip Hellbender. I heard the Stomp under Foot fuzzes are good too.

I can't believe I'm the first one to suggest the Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz. It is exactly what you describe, a toned down, blues rockier, tamer Muff style fuzz. It's what the Black Keys used on "Strange Times". I highly recommend it, it's like a muff but more focused with a tighter low end. Trust me.

http://www.earthquakerdevices.com/devices/hoof.htm

orogeny
02-05-2010, 11:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og-SowGczXY

i'm in love with THIS right now. . . . .

brandon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

our own EXP

sorry bro. .. i HAD to post it. . . .

sutherland
02-06-2010, 12:24 AM
As many have said before, the Musket.

H.P. Lovecraft
02-06-2010, 07:36 AM
For the Black Keys tone you might want to check out the following:

EarthQuaker Devices Hoof (modd'd version of an old Green Russian)
EarthQuaker Devices Dirt Transmitter
Bass Big Muff (very close to the old Green Russians)
Fulltone SoulBender
Analogman Peppermint Fuzz
Analogman NKT 275 High Gain Sunface
Maestro MFZ-1A (the big silver/black one with the wheels on the side) or a clone.

peridot1
02-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Wampler Triple Wreck is good at this.

Tbone135
02-06-2010, 08:18 AM
I like the fuzz factory for big riffs.

Ti-Ron
02-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I can't believe I'm the first one to suggest the Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz. It is exactly what you describe, a toned down, blues rockier, tamer Muff style fuzz. It's what the Black Keys used on "Strange Times". I highly recommend it, it's like a muff but more focused with a tighter low end. Trust me.

http://www.earthquakerdevices.com/devices/hoof.htm

I'm with NBarnes here! This is the way too go!
If you want something more like a distortion with fuzzy proprieties try the subdecay blackstar, it's black sabbath in a box! ;)

Blingdogg
02-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. There's a lot of different fuzzes for me to look into, so I'm going to check out each one that was recommended in this thread. Local stores here in my city never carry anything beyond the generic, everyday gear so I can't test them out and I'm going to have to base my decision on internet clips/reviews (http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/cry.gif). It's going to take a while to sort through all the ones listed here, but I'm going to try.

So far, I think I'm leaning towards a tonebender of some sort, or maybe one of those used by Dan Auerbach, like the EarthQuaker devices hoof.

Blingdogg
02-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Well I checked out demos of all the fuzzes mentioned here and actually decided to go with the first one mentioned: the MJM China Fuzz.

I didn't think I liked octave fuzz, but the MJM seems to have a more subtle octave compared to others I've heard. And I like the kind of harsher, aggressive tone compared to other fuzzes I was checking out.

I got a couple fuzz pedals I'm planning to buy this year, and the MJM China fuzz will be first. Next will be a tonebender of some sort and a Devi Ever Torn's Peaker.

SUPROficial
02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
For the Black Keys tone you might want to check out the following:

EarthQuaker Devices Hoof (modd'd version of an old Green Russian)
Bass Big Muff (very close to the old Green Russians)
Fulltone SoulBender
Analogman Peppermint Fuzz
Maestro MFZ-1A (the big silver/black one with the wheels on the side) or a clone.
I just got my Stomp Under Foot "Green Russian" Muff and all I can say is it has "that" sound in spades! Outrageously big sounding and quite distinct from the other versions.

imguitardan
02-09-2010, 06:08 PM
+1
Mahoney Buzztone !

Kudos to John for supporting other builders. I'd have pointed him to the Basic Audio Foxey Lady. There are some clips around here somewhere.

Sofus
02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Sounds llike a Tonebender MKIII style of thing would fit the bill :) - you have a muff already :)

orogeny
02-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Kudos to John for supporting other builders. I'd have pointed him to the Basic Audio Foxey Lady. There are some clips around here somewhere.
i don't see that one on his website. . . .

funkycam
02-09-2010, 06:52 PM
skin pimp mkIII is a gr8 pedal.
I can't imagine needing more bass than it can provide...

amphead777
02-09-2010, 07:30 PM
+1 great,great pedal, unique
The KR Gypsy Fuzz is amazing as well.

Cirrus
02-10-2010, 04:52 AM
Can't offer pedal suggestions but I've noticed for "big" riffs, that turning the sustain knob down to like 8:30 then hitting it with a tubescreamer type boost makes a really big sound.

pulse.
02-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Meathead and Mayo

lux_interior
02-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Stacking with an od before or after it usually helps a fuzz get into the monster riff sonic ground, but the only ones I've seen that can easily do that by themselves are the ZVex Fuzz Factory (with careful tweaking), the Wattson Fuzz and the Meathead. The drawback of the Meathead is that it can't show what it's capable of at low volumes and on amps that are not LOUD. The other two can do that.

The SoulBender and the Maestro MFZ-1A are good (still own the first, have played quite a lot with the second) but they are not really for heavy riffing. Of course, almost any fuzz in the right hands and with the right bass-heavy amp can go there, but some can get you there quicker, easier and with more interesting results, and I wouldn't really recommend finding and paying quite a high price for a rare Souldbender or that Maestro.

digiTED
02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Musket, Hoof, Fuzz God or Swollen Pickle.

aawshred
02-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Black arts PHARAOH. perfect for this

digiTED
02-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Yup, forgot that one!

Dale
02-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Have you considered a Rat?

Holy Schnikes
02-12-2011, 05:23 PM

+1...The Pharaoh is easily the best muff-type fuzz I've ever owned.

Recently replaced my Musket, played them side by side and the Pharaoh just sounds HUGE and more natural in comparison, and I liked the Musket. Also has plenty of tone and attack control along with Hi/low gain and diode option toggles. It's capable of anything from crunchy low gain OD, punchy distortion, and excels at all out thick, smooth, fuzz tones that bloom from your speakers, dishing out as much low end as you'll ever need. You can zone out for hours with this one, I did.

Lastly, Mark is awesome to deal with, very friendly and knowledgeable guy, price is right, and cosmetics are killer!

DraggAmps
02-12-2011, 06:25 PM

Another +1 for the Black Arts Pharaoh. This is the fuzz you NEED man. Get one before they blow up like crazy and you have to wait forever for one. And get the $10 germanium option.

Blingdogg
02-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Hey guys,

This thread is actually a year old now, it's from 2010. So I'm not looking for a fuzz anymore.

My current dirt pedals are I the Dunlop Fuzz Face I stuck with, and I also got an EHX Germanium4 Big Muff PI.

sahhas
02-12-2011, 08:16 PM
i like my WH swollen pickle
and my fuzz machine (ff clone)
no idea if they are "thick", they sound good. good for riffing, single note stuff. no idea if that counts as "heavy riffing".
good luck

Jagermonster
02-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Basic Audio has a lot of offerings that might fit what you're looking for.

Black Ice
02-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper, you should give it a shot even if you aren't looking for fuzz anymore. It really sparked my interest in other fuzzes and can get nice and heavy/saturated as well. It stacks well with other drive/boost effects as well.