PDA

View Full Version : Danelectro Fab Tone ( Mid 90s )

Buffalo Crispy
02-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I was digging through some old box's in the spare room of the house and found a old danelectro fab tone pedal that I bought back in the mid 90's so I plugged it in and forgot how much fuz this thing sizzles out! Kind of fun to play with right now for the moment. Anyone else have one of these older fab tone pedals? this is not one of the small ones....

:hide

dick wiewy
02-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah and I'm not getting rid of mine either. There's plenty of usable fuzz in those things & their only drawback IMO is the frickin' knobs are jammed so close you practically need needle nose pliers to adjust 'em. I found the Daddy O OD from this series is tight and awright too.

Of course this is TGP and most of the cork sniffers would rather be caught dead & blind rather than admit to owning one of these sleepers let alone enjoying it.
There's no goop, swirly paint, biblical references, long waiting lists, etc. how's that
gonna be cool? YMMV

GTRICH
02-06-2010, 04:01 PM
If I had to choose between my Pete Cornish SS-3 or my old Danelectro Fab Tone, I would choose the Danelectro. I am not kidding.

DrumBob
02-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I have one and I also have a Daddy-O. I thought about selling them, they were some of the first stompboxes I ever bought, but they don't bring much $$. I guess I'll hold onto them, as they could come in handy one day. Like Dick said, no swirly paint, no long wait time, no supposed mojo, just decent sounds. They're not cool, but who gives a sh**?

Dale
02-06-2010, 06:27 PM
I loved the one I had, until it died.

sutherland
02-06-2010, 06:28 PM
If I had to choose between my Pete Cornish SS-3 or my old Danelectro Fab Tone, I would choose the Danelectro. I am not kidding.

Cool! I'll trade ya the Cornish SS-3 for 5 Fab Tones!

88mm
02-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Funny. I did this very same thing 2 days ago.
The Fab Tone is fun to pull out and rock some fizzy fuzzy licks.

jguitarnash
02-06-2010, 08:23 PM
I have always wondered why the Fab Tone isn't more popular. It is a WALL of sound and can give some really distortion/fuzz sounds.

wingwalker
02-06-2010, 08:34 PM
I have one!! I hate how close together the knobs are and the jacks are PCB mount and are prone to crack but so far mine has been fine in that department...

I use it for more modern sounds and for thick walls of crunch and distortion.

Gary Moore used one of these all over the Scars album.

wingwalker
02-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I have one and I also have a Daddy-O. I thought about selling them, they were some of the first stompboxes I ever bought, but they don't bring much $$. I guess I'll hold onto them, as they could come in handy one day. Like Dick said, no swirly paint, no long wait time, no supposed mojo, just decent sounds. They're not cool, but who gives a sh**?

How is the Daddy-O??

I've wondered about that several times since seeing one on Mike Campbells pedal board!

shakeshakeshake
02-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I had one for a long time when I was about 17

it was laughably bad

EricPeterson
02-06-2010, 08:46 PM
A biddy of mine had the Daddy-O it was quite nice. I liked the 3 band EQ as well.

cvansickle
02-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I still have my Fab-Tone, along with an original Cool Cat chorus and Dan-Echo. I haven't played them in years though. Good sounds, but talk about tone-suck in bypass mode!

Analog Assassin
02-06-2010, 08:52 PM
The daddy-o is based on the guv'nor. I think it gets a nice Billy Gibbons crunch.

DrumBob
02-06-2010, 09:46 PM
How is the Daddy-O??

I've wondered about that several times since seeing one on Mike Campbells pedal board!

It does suck your tone a bit, but not too bad. The sound is crunchy and a little metal-ish. I do not like the way the knobs are set up either, and they are prone to breakage, but mine haven't broken. You can get a real nice scooped mids sound by fiddling with the knobs. Very nice on a Strat.

RocksOff
02-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I still use the same Dan-Echo I've used on countless stages for years. I love it, and I get some kick ass noises out of it be applying guitar signal and then tweaking by hand. Awesome. Those first three pedals they put out were pretty cool.

coalblackhorse
02-07-2010, 12:20 AM
In the late 90s I did a couple of demos in a metal band and people really complimented me on my tone. I told them it was an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, a Fender Deluxe and a Fab Tone, no one believed me. It was the truth.

people are so lame sometimes.

scr@tchy
02-07-2010, 02:09 AM
They are also my favourite bass fuzz. But I did have to put a true bypass in, even on bass it cut out to much of the tone when off.

Dale
02-07-2010, 08:14 AM

They were some of my first as well. While the Fab died, I still mess with that old Daddy-O now and then.