PDA

View Full Version : Deathmatch between Grizzly bear and Male African Lion!! Who would win?

gregorybj
02-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Got in a total guy argument the other day over this.

I sided with the African lion because he is the king of a more dangerous environment. The male fights hyenas, other lions, and chases down wildebeest, zebra, and water buffalo. The bear can fight wolves and other bears and chase down deer. The grizzly might have a few hundred pounds on the lion but the lion has sharper fangs and a fighting style that emphasizes cutting the blood vessel of the opponents neck. On the other hand, bears use mostly their claws and bite whatever they can.

Your thoughts? Explain who you think would win in a death match?

Please vote in the Poll!

Thanks!

Frankee
02-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Anthony Hopkins

iamdavea
02-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I thought the male does basically nothing, while the female does all the hunting? That said, I'm going with the bear. The lion would have to make a move to get inside, and the bear would have a big-ass clawed paw waiting for him. If a bear can swat live salmon out of a river, he could hit a lion. And then it's (to quote from "Aliens") "Game over, Man!"

GTRJoe
02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Coach Ditka.

yellowecho
02-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I chose the grizzly.
While lions are extremely dangerous, they are more known for their pack hunting.
A deathmatch between a single grizzly and a single lion would likely result in the lion getting bitch slapped one time and being down for the count. :)

PUCKBOY99
02-08-2010, 11:48 AM
The lion would dive at the grizzly, the grizzly would catch the lion & snap it's back like a twig.......GAME OVER in about 7.3 seconds :D

Luke
02-08-2010, 11:48 AM
The bear stands on his two hind legs in a fight to allow him to use his front paws, thus making him too high for the lion to get onto his neck.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2060/1580257938_322e911f7c.jpg

Grizzly vs Cougar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7MuFDVEUro

This issue elsewhere:

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=546

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69002

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/grizzly-bear-vs-lion/414379/

ford
02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Da Bear....

BadCat
02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
A full grown grizzly can take a man's head off with one swipe of its paw.

Griz all the way

gururyan
02-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Da Bears!

Big_Daddy
02-08-2010, 11:56 AM

I have, unfortunately, seen video evidence of this actually happening when I worked for Parks Canada in Banff. A smart lion wouldn't even approach a full-grown grizzly. Total mismatch.

MOJO
02-08-2010, 11:58 AM
There was a show a couple of years ago that use to run these computer generate animal Vs animal scenario's (FWIW) ..can't rememeber the name of it...

If i remember correctly one on one ...the Grizzly won

PUCKBOY99
02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
There was a show a couple of years ago that use to run these computer generate animal Vs animal scenario's (FWIW) ..can't rememeber the name of it...

If i remember correctly the bear won

I saw an episode of that once & they had a great white vs.......a tiger maybe? Something retarded.....but it was cool to see them get all the data boiled down in the computer for the showdown. :aok

stevieboy
02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I thought the male does basically nothing, while the female does all the hunting?

The male's role is the protector of the females and cubs. He's a fighter not a hunter, and bad to the bone.

But the grizzly bear is a total bad ass and has a huge size advantage over the lion. As yellowecho said, a large enough group of lions could do in a grizzly as they showed them doing in an elephant in Planet Earth, but one on one it's got to be the grizzly.

Blindspot
02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Silly thread.

Nothing is certain.

But odd are well in favor of the bear.

Male lions are extremely strong and aggressive. Check out the Nat. Geo. "Eternal Enemies: Lions & Hyenas" video.

The female lions have their hands full with the Hyenas. But when they piss off the Patriarch, it is all over.

However, the Grizzly bear is just too much for a lion. Too big, powerful, and because of its much greater dexterity, able to defend and attack with greater effectiveness.

*I am not a world renowned naturalist, I just play one on TV

Shamus
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Average weight of an African male lion - approx. 460 lbs.
Average weight of an American grizzley male - approx - 525 lbs.

I think the environment would be of utter importance here.. If they were on the plains of Africa, the lion would have a good shot. Why? He could get a running start and knock the bear off it's feet, affording a clean shot at a neck kill. Obviously, if the contest was in a wooded area, this would be much more challenging.

I think it boils down to that initial strike. Lions can reach speeds of 50 mph, whereas, bears can reach 35 mph - advantage lion. Think of 460 lbs striking you at 50mph.... If the bear didn't see it coming, he would be leveled and disoriented. Even if he did, it's very tough to get a critical strike at a target moving that fast...

That said, if the initial strike fails, the bear has a huge advantage with the power and damage from his claws.

Blindspot
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
People don't realize how incredibly powerful bears are. Little teeny 400lb black bears can rip apart enclosures build from 4x4 lumber like it is a game. A lion would gnaw on such a thing all day and make a few splinters.

*I trained under Marlin Perkins

MOJO
02-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I saw an episode of that once & they had a great white vs.......a tiger maybe? Something retarded.....but it was cool to see them get all the data boiled down in the computer for the showdown. :aok

i think that one was a Croc vs Great white....Croc won

EricPeterson
02-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Grizzly for sure. No contest really. A grizzly could weigh 3-4 times as much as a lion.

Blindspot
02-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Grizzly for sure. No contest really. A grizzly could weigh 3-4 times as much as a lion.

A grizzly can weigh 50 times or more as much as a lion...if it is a baby lion.

But an adult male lion is only going to give up a few hundred pounds max to a grizzly. they are not too far apart in mass, unless you go with a really HUGE grizzly from some isolated population. then you may have over 1400lbs on hand. those grizzly bears can eat a lion whole without even chewing.

*See me wrestle sharks on TV!

RobRowland
02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
How about a Tiger vs. a Grizzly then?

In this case, the tiger would have the size advantage (they are around 650-700lbs).

Tuberoast
02-08-2010, 12:13 PM
I think the bear would wear the lions mane on his head as a trophy.

EricPeterson
02-08-2010, 12:13 PM

But an adult male lion is only going to give up a few hundred pounds max to a grizzly. they are not too far apart in mass.

I see your point on an average grizzly weight, but a grizzly can get over 1000 pounds.

Never the less, I go with the bear.

semi-hollowbody
02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
wow...I put lion
The bear has the brute strength but the lion is fast...lions have evolved bringing down large prey, bears eat fish LOL

Blindspot
02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
When I was hiking outside Vancouver, I saw a brown bear that probably weighed 1,200 lbs (Browns are the same species as grizzlies.) The thing was tipping over rocks to find grubs or whatever the heck was underneath than might make a nice snack.

The rocks were, no joke, the size of small cars. they had to weigh close to 2 tons each. the bear was pushing them around, sometimes with one paw. Awesome!

Big_Daddy
02-08-2010, 12:17 PM

But an adult male lion is only going to give up a few hundred pounds max to a grizzly. they are not too far apart in mass.

When I worked on the 2-man trail crew in Banff in the '70's, my partner and I came upon some fresh grizzly tracks in the mud. We took measurements (both of my hands end-to-end in the back pad print) and took them to the Park naturalist. He estimated the bear's weight at 1200 lbs. :eeks:eeks We regularly came upon grizzly "markings" along the trail. Grizzers like to stand on their hind legs and reach as far up a tree trunk as possible and rip off the bark with their claws, just to let the other bears in the area know how big they are. On one occasion in particular, when I was sitting in the saddle and reached up as high as I could, I could barely reach the markings...over 12 feet up. I guess they grow 'em big in the Rockies.:cool:

coreybox
I thought the male does basically nothing, while the female does all the hunting?

I also heard this on a Discovery channel show. Female lions do all the hunting.

Blindspot
I see your point on an average grizzly weight, but a grizzly can get over 1000 pounds.

Never the less, I go with the bear.

You caught me before my edit. Browns (grizzlies) can go way, way over 1000lbs - A big grizzly is substantially larger than the largest lion, except for maybe some freakishly fat one in captivity. No contest for a big bear, so I think you have to speculate using average weights.

MOJO
02-08-2010, 12:18 PM
How about a Tiger vs. a Grizzly then?

In this case, the tiger would have the size advantage (they are around 650-700lbs).

probably a better match up.. Male Lions are not really ambush predators tigers are more stealthy so it might have a better shot

Blindspot
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I also heard this on a Discovery channel show. Female lions do all the hunting.
Females do the hunting, yes.

Males do the sleeping, humping, and often, the brawling. And they can brawl!

sixstring531
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Chose the lion only because it's quicker and if it happened to get on the back the grizzly -- bye bye grizzly.

tonesurfer
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
In terms of raw purely physical strength and the bear would have it, the lion will have speed and agility the bear is nowhere near capable of. However lions and bears aren't really adversaries. In terms of raw power the polar bear is a level up from the grizzly but is nowhere near as aggressive and isn't particularly territorial.

Matt_C
02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I chose the grizzly.
While lions are extremely dangerous, they are more known for their pack hunting.
A deathmatch between a single grizzly and a single lion would likely result in the lion getting bitch slapped one time and being down for the count. :)

This.

Big_Daddy
02-08-2010, 12:23 PM
The polar bear is even more powerful than the grizzly but is nowhere near as aggressive and isn't territorial.

Sorry, but I have to dispute this... a "wild" grizzly will avoid contact with humans wherever possible. A polar bear will stalk you, kill you and eat you.

travisvwright
02-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I've enjoyed some humorous TGP posts in my day. This one ranks right up there.

Big_Daddy
02-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I've enjoyed some humorous TGP posts in my day. This one ranks right up there.

Only if you're not the one being eaten. :roll

tonesurfer
02-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Sorry, but I have to dispute this... a "wild" grizzly will avoid contact with humans wherever possible. A polar bear will stalk you, kill you and eat you.
If you look at attacks on humans, the polar bear numbers are low compared to the grizzly. The grizzly is much more willing to attack in general. The polar bear may attack you if it's starving or percieves you as seriously threatening. Like you're saying though when the polar bear goes to attack its severe.

Big_Daddy
02-08-2010, 12:36 PM
I think that probably has a lot more to do with the fact that the amount of humans in each type of bear's habitat favors the Grizzly.

Not to many people hang out where the polar bears live.

Jade

Couldn't have said it better. A grizzly, unless it is very sick or hungry will almost never hunt a human. Polar bears, on the other hand, include humans on the menu.

Blanket Jackson
02-08-2010, 12:37 PM
and the winner is ......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Futureman.jpg

FUTUREMAN!

tonesurfer
02-08-2010, 12:37 PM
I think that probably has a lot more to do with the fact that the amount of humans in each type of bear's habitat favors the Grizzly.

Not too many people hang out where the polar bears live.

Jade
True but they're also more misunderstood. Polar bears are actually the most friendly and social of the bears, on the other hand when they do attack they are the most severe and powerful of the bears.

gainiac
02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Average grizz is 500-900 pounds....Some Kodiak behemoths have been reported as much as 1500?

Lion....fairly large male is 600???

Lion is faster though land speeds have been recorded at 50mph....I'd assume that's for the females though.

The males usually help out with bringing down LARGE game, like a buffalo.

Wolverines have been known to ruin a bears day....

gainiac
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
A polar bear will stalk you, kill you and eat you.

They like to chew on submarines as well:

http://www.elanbentov.com/media/hell/Curiosities/Polar%20bear%20checks%20out%20US%20sub.jpg

It's Time!
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Da Lion ;)

TRIODEROB
02-08-2010, 12:43 PM
if the lion is anywhere near the size of the bear it wins easy,

cats are much better fighters than bears and i have seen video
where they are matched up.

cats can jump - they have huge fangs and and massive claws.

they are designed to kill very large pray in seconds.

Yankee Univox
I'm going with...*drumroll please*...

CHUCK NORRIS!!!! :boxer

Big_Daddy
They like to chew on submarines as well:

http://www.elanbentov.com/media/hell/Curiosities/Polar%20bear%20checks%20out%20US%20sub.jpg

Haha..awesome!

Killcrop
02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
How would a Lion kill a Griz? It would have to hit the jugular. Now way in hell a Grizz is going to let a Lion get to his neck. Yes, Lions are fast but so is a Grizzly. Plus the bear will have much more natural protection than the lion. Thick coat and fat. It would be hard for the Lion to do serious damage. The Bear is often battle hardened from fighting other bears. I think both would sustain serious injuries but the bear would previal.

gainiac
02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
It usually takes quite a few lions to take down a cape buffalo....that's a 1500 - 1900 pound critter with serious attitude.....but....

It don't have the weapons, instincts, or reflexes that a big bear would have.

My money is on the grizz.

ford
02-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Average weight of an African male lion - approx. 460 lbs.
Average weight of an American grizzley male - approx - 525 lbs.

I think the environment would be of utter importance here.. If they were on the plains of Africa, the lion would have a good shot. Why? He could get a running start and knock the bear off it's feet, affording a clean shot at a neck kill. Obviously, if the contest was in a wooded area, this would be much more challenging.

I think it boils down to that initial strike. Lions can reach speeds of 50 mph, whereas, bears can reach 35 mph - advantage lion. Think of 460 lbs striking you at 50mph.... If the bear didn't see it coming, he would be leveled and disoriented. Even if he did, it's very tough to get a critical strike at a target moving that fast...

That said, if the initial strike fails, the bear has a huge advantage with the power and damage from his claws.

Grizzlies in Alaska have weighed over 1500 pounds!

joemilitello
02-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Coach Ditka.

Hilarious!

I am going with bear.

ford
02-08-2010, 12:55 PM
When I was hiking outside Vancouver, I saw a brown bear that probably weighed 1,200 lbs (Browns are the same species as grizzlies.) The thing was tipping over rocks to find grubs or whatever the heck was underneath than might make a nice snack.

The rocks were, no joke, the size of small cars. they had to weigh close to 2 tons each. the bear was pushing them around, sometimes with one paw. Awesome!

Grizzlies are really just brown bears.. they are just named different things depending on where you see them.... if you ever hear of a Kodiak.. once again.. just a brown/grizzly....

RobRowland
02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
http://kuvaton.com/bshit/reaction.gif

gainiac
02-08-2010, 12:59 PM
My Bengal would kick both their asses:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6898/kublai011md8.jpg

iamdavea
02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Could this take the place of Pacquiao/Mayweather? Anybody got lion and bear hook-ups?

Cap'n Fingers
02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Da Bear.

A Grizz is pretty quick with the claws though they both might take a beating before it's over.

gregorybj
02-08-2010, 02:03 PM
If this fight was on the lions terms, he would stalk the bear andpounce on it when it was most vulnerable. In a straight out fight it would be hard to tell.

What if it was a Tiger vs. a bear?

gainiac
02-08-2010, 02:06 PM
What if it was a Tiger vs. a bear?

Big tigers top out at 700.

Julia343
02-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Isn't this why Detroit always gets is ass handed to it by Chicago?

gregorybj
02-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Big tigers top out at 700.

still Tigers lie with bears in India and have even forced them to evolve. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Interspecies-Conflict-3754/2008/2/African-lion-vs-grizzly.htm

Check this! Even briefly mentions the Tiger scenario

gainiac
02-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Isn't this why Detroit always gets is ass handed to it by Chicago?

lmfao!

gregorybj
02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7MuFDVEUro&feature=related

Check this!!!!!!

A cougar beats grizzly!!! Not even half the size of an African lion either!

edgewound
02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
wow...I put lion
The bear has the brute strength but the lion is fast...lions have evolved bringing down large prey, bears eat fish LOL

Well then...the bear is obviously going to win due to his heart healthy diet. The lion will wheeze and drop dead from a heart attack.

gregorybj
02-08-2010, 02:19 PM
In the end, I guess Tigers rule them all and are the most deadly land carnivore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTlTzC0K96s

Tigers kill and eat grizzlies!

bug0711
02-08-2010, 02:21 PM
http://www.wildanimalfightclub.com/Portals/41405/images//2893875876_7a238a713c.jpg

EricPeterson
02-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Check this!!!!!!

A cougar beats grizzly!!! Not even half the size of an African lion either!

I dont think that was a life and death situation for the bear. Not really the same thing. Now what if that cougar tried to attack some bear cubs?

gregorybj
02-08-2010, 02:26 PM
I dont think that was a life and death situation for the bear. Not really the same thing. Now what if that cougar tried to attack some bear cubs?

well we will never know for sure, but unless you can find some youtube vids that say otherwise I am sticking with my conclusion.:aok

dkals
02-08-2010, 03:04 PM
According to some quick research...

The largest lions on record are close to 700 lbs, with the typical LARGE lion coming in around 500 lbs The largest Grizzlys are close to, and possibly more than 1500 lbs, with typical Alaskan Grizzly males well over the 1000lb mark.

I'm thinkin' that me, and Tweedbucket could take both of em with our bare hands.

Jade

Tweedy is the second most interesting man in the world. As soon as that Dos Equis guy strokes out or has a grabber tweedy will be #1.

fredgarvin
02-08-2010, 03:08 PM
i think that one was a Croc vs Great white....Croc won
I saw a zombie vs shark, thanks to Mr. Fulci, zombie won.

tonesurfer
02-08-2010, 03:11 PM
With regards to polar bears, the adult males weigh 350–680 kg (770-1500 lbs). The largest polar bear on record, reportedly weighing 1,002 kg (2,210 lb), was a male shot at Kotzebue Sound (http://www.thegearpage.net/wiki/Kotzebue_Sound) in northwestern Alaska in 1960.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_bear

EricPeterson
02-08-2010, 03:22 PM
well we will never know for sure, but unless you can find some youtube vids that say otherwise I am sticking with my conclusion.:aok

Fair enough. :beer I tried too, but that is the only lion v. bear video I could find, oh there were some Wolverine v. Bear videos. Man wolverines are the shit. :cool:

Lution
02-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I did manage to find an actual matchup. . .sort of, though the bear used i think was a black bear, not a grizzly.

wCEWXB2HG7k

Blindspot
02-08-2010, 03:31 PM
In the end, I guess Tigers rule them all and are the most deadly land carnivore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTlTzC0K96s

Tigers kill and eat grizzlies!

Hee hee...hardly. Love the comments with that video....:argue

GA20T
02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Let's see, if a male lion in it's prime weighs in at <500lbs, and a mature grizzly can weigh >1600 lbs .... BOTH have speed, agility, and raw animal power.... My hiking partner once had to fire a shot off to thwart a run-in with a large male grizzly and that monster ran to the horizon at full speed. It's important to remember that while the Grizzly may look a little slow (in more ways than one), it's no sloth when it comes to hunting/defences etc. While the Lion is razor sharp, the Grizzly has a thick coat and immense strength. I've also seen plenty of footage of the brown bear's claws slicing through large game's hind quarters, just as the Lion's capable of. I've personally witnessed a grizzlies, on several occasions, dislodging giant stones above timberline in the fall to access moth larvae, as well as uproot trees that would require an axe & some labour to fell.

gainiac
02-08-2010, 04:06 PM
I've never seen a bear leap into a tree like a tiger can......

They may be lighter but pound for pound I'd say it's a stronger animal.

Look at the jaws as well......

Bear jaws don't come close to a cats.....

One is a pure (mostly) predatorial carnivore.....

The other an opportunist omnivore......

Then again I'd say they're both poorly adapted to fighting. The cat is however a dedicated ambush predator.

timmers
02-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Dumble wins, no contest.

Joe Robinson
02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I can recall reading a book in Grizzlies several years ago. It's not the Craighead book or any of the Doug Peacock books. Anyway, according to this book back in the days of Spanish Colonialism in California, in addition to the bull fighting, they would trap California Grizzlies (bigger than their modern day cousins due to abundance of foods and little need to hibernate) and have them take on all comers in the bull ring. Lions were tested as well as multiple bulls and such. The Grizzlies took the Lions out in very quick order. It makes sense in that bears have a lot of protection of vital organs with thick hides, multiple muscle layers and fat. In addition, Grizz are an evolutionary product of the North American plains. On the plains, there is no such thing as climbing a tree, or hiding in cover. Any threat to the bear needs to be dealt with directly, ergo, the Grizzly Bears aggressive nature. Lemme see if i can find that book author...

Here it is. The book is called "Where the Grizzly Walks", originally published in 1977.

http://www.billschneider.net/writing.htm

joemilitello
02-08-2010, 04:31 PM
This thread is immensely entertaining!

I have had up-close encounters with grizzlies here in Montana, so I am biased. They are big, they are nasty, they are strong, they are fast (they also stink to high heaven, but I don't think that is relevant here). On a full grown adult (in Montana- they are much bigger in Alaska), their paws are like freaking dinner plates.

I saw one, through a spotting scope, thank god, squabble with a pack of wolves over an elk carcass that the wolves had killed in Yellowstone National Park.

There were six wolves, and they just let that bear eat as much as he wanted.

I have never been more scared in my life than when I was hiking in Glacier National Park and came across a sow with two cubs. She false-charged, which means she ran straight at me, FAST, and stopped ten feet away, huffing, pawing, snorting and stinking.

I had pepper spray, which I didn't use, but I consider it a miracle I didn't shit my pants.

GA20T
02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I can recall reading a book in Grizzlies several years ago. It's not the Craighead book or any of the Doug Peacock books. Anyway, according to this book back in the days of Spanish Colonialism in California, in addition to the bull fighting, they would trap California Grizzlies (bigger than their modern day cousins due to abundance of foods and little need to hibernate) and have them take on all comers in the bull ring. Lions were tested as well as multiple bulls and such. The Grizzlies took the Lions out in very quick order. It makes sense in that bears have a lot of protection of vital organs with thick hides, multiple muscle layers and fat. In addition, Grizz are an evolutionary product of the North American plains. On the plains, there is no such thing as climbing a tree, or hiding in cover. Any threat to the bear needs to be dealt with directly, ergo, the Grizzly Bears aggressive nature. Lemme see if i can find that book author...

Here it is. The book is called "Where the Grizzly Walks", originally published in 1977.

Good read. I might also add that the Grizzly has no problem whatsoever scaling a large tree in a few seconds, they just aren't very handy at getting down. There are documented cases of hikers who have been followed up by the grizzly only to be dragged back down (Herrero, "Bear Attacks; Their Causes & Avoidance") etc.

Frankee
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Seriously.....Anthony Hopkins.

http://www.kinoweb.de/film98/Edge/pix/hopkins2.jpg

Blindspot
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
It is pretty clear who makes the best chair....

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8744/grizzlybearchair.jpg

GA20T
02-08-2010, 04:38 PM
^ disgusting.

Lution
02-08-2010, 05:02 PM
dude, sometimes I can't believe just how disgusting we can be as a race of living beings. what we to each other and our animal pals is really. . . just wow. a bear chair.

gainiac
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
^ disgusting.

6 legged bear!!!!

Blindspot
02-08-2010, 05:06 PM
What goes well with a bear chair? A mule skull fiddle, of course.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4048/muleskullfiddle.jpg

Brian D
02-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Check this!!!!!!

A cougar beats grizzly!!! Not even half the size of an African lion either!That bear isn't even trying to defend itself, much less attack.

And what kind of a world do we live in where the ability to find a YouTube video of something is proof of anything? :cool:

ACfixer
02-08-2010, 06:28 PM

And a full grown lion couldn't?

But yeah, the bear wins. Too big, too freaking mean.

Shiny McShine
02-08-2010, 06:41 PM
This should solve the whole question...

sVAP5qWnBek

freedom's door
02-08-2010, 06:59 PM
This thread is immensely entertaining!

I have had up-close encounters with grizzlies here in Montana, so I am biased. They are big, they are nasty, they are strong, they are fast (they also stink to high heaven, but I don't think that is relevant here). On a full grown adult (in Montana- they are much bigger in Alaska), their paws are like freaking dinner plates.

I saw one, through a spotting scope, thank god, squabble with a pack of wolves over an elk carcass that the wolves had killed in Yellowstone National Park.

There were six wolves, and they just let that bear eat as much as he wanted.

I have never been more scared in my life than when I was hiking in Glacier National Park and came across a sow with two cubs. She false-charged, which means she ran straight at me, FAST, and stopped ten feet away, huffing, pawing, snorting and stinking.

I had pepper spray, which I didn't use, but I consider it a miracle I didn't shit my pants.

It only bluff charged you once?

Did it take off after that, or did you have to make a cautious retreat?

jzgtrguy
02-08-2010, 08:20 PM
A full grown Grizzly weighs between 1200 and 1500 lbs an African Male Lion about 550lbs. What a miss match. A Tiger can approach 700 lbs. Either way no contest.

Julia343
02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I did manage to find an actual matchup. . .sort of, though the bear used i think was a black bear, not a grizzly.

wCEWXB2HG7k

Hey! Lions against the Cubs? No fair!

Lution
02-08-2010, 09:01 PM

sVAP5qWnBek

dude, i seriously nearly pissed myself laughing. hahaha.

Bassomatic
02-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Was that Jodi Foster?

Brian D
02-09-2010, 02:25 AM

sVAP5qWnBekDat looks like wanna dem der Bigfeets!

IIIBOOMERIII
02-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Coach Ditka.

Is it a mini Ditka? I gotta go with the mini Ditka and -7.5 points.

How do you know when you are looking at Grizzly crap? It has hiking bells in it.

Mark Ray
02-09-2010, 08:35 AM

wCEWXB2HG7k

I just want to know where Mr. French was? Damn, a high-paid butler falling down on the job!:roll

Mark

stratman34
02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I think the Lion would get his ass handed to him by a full grown Grizzly if they fought.

The Lion would more than likely be smart enough to realize this before hand, and GTFO of Dodge.

Jade

This ^^^ I think the bear would win by forfeit.

echale3
02-09-2010, 08:56 AM
The winner would be Chuck Norris...... No doubt about it....

joemilitello
02-09-2010, 12:23 PM
It only bluff charged you once?

Did it take off after that, or did you have to make a cautious retreat?

I backed sloooooowwly down the trail, trying to talk calmly to the bear, until I got around a bend.

She was satisfied with that & probably just wanted me away from her cubs.

gregorybj
02-09-2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7MuF...eature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7MuFDVEUro&feature=related)

once again I post this!! Cougar beats bear!

I really wish that I could embed the video in the post, but I had little time to post this and I do not know how anyway.

gainiac
02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7MuF...eature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7MuFDVEUro&feature=related)

I really wish that I could embed the video in the post, but I had little time to post this and I do not know how anyway.

I actually saw that on Discovery........

It's amazing what maternal instincts will do. I doubt the cougar could really deliver a killing blow to a large bear but a cougar is too fast to be caught as well.

Gorgeous animals. I diggeth the puddytats.

yellowecho
02-09-2010, 01:25 PM

I doubt the cougar could really deliver a killing blow to a large bear

This. It's not a matter of whether or not a bear is willing to get clawed for curiosity, it's a deathmatch. The bear just looked like he wanted to see what the fuss was about- he wasn't trying to fight. Even if they had fought, the cougar would have to kill the bear to win a deathmatch which I don't think he could do without the bear ripping its face off first.

gainiac
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
This. It's not a matter of whether or not a bear is willing to get clawed for curiosity, it's a deathmatch. The bear just looked like he wanted to see what the fuss was about- he wasn't trying to fight. Even if they had fought, the cougar would have to kill the bear to win a deathmatch which I don't think he could do without the bear ripping its face off first.

In the scenario in that youtube the bear (female BTW) was looking to dominate the area, but that cougar was defending cubs. I doubt a cougar would let a bear get o hold on it.......

Dana Olsen
02-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Joe's exactly correct:

Let's not forget history. The Romans used to do animal fights at the coliseum; when there were no Christians available for the Lions to 'battle', Eurasian Grizzly Bears were sometimes used to battle the Lions.

I can't site a particular history book that discusses this, but ....

I do remember that the Bears basically won every time - in fact, most of these Coliseum challenges were 2 Lions v 1 Grizzly, and STILL the Bear basically won 'em all.

IMHO, there's simply no question here - this has actually been done hundreds of time by the Romans, and the Bears won like 95% of contests with Lions.

Dana O.

Lution
02-09-2010, 03:04 PM

It looks to me like that bear was only playing with that cougar.

Mark Robinson
02-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Joe's exactly correct:

Let's not forget history. The Romans used to do animal fights at the coliseum; when there were no Christians available for the Lions to 'battle', Eurasian Grizzly Bears were sometimes used to battle the Lions.

I can't site a particular history book that discusses this, but ....

I do remember that the Bears basically won every time - in fact, most of these Coliseum challenges were 2 Lions v 1 Grizzly, and STILL the Bear basically won 'em all.

IMHO, there's simply no question here - this has actually been done hundreds of time by the Romans, and the Bears won like 95% of contests with Lions.

Dana O.

So the Centurion summons you, you're wearing sandals, carrying a spear and a shield. He says, "I've got a little project for you. Take this team of oxen and this wooden cart, and get your ass up to the barbarian lands east of those red headed jerks way up in the cold area, and get me a couple of bears for the Emperor." You say, " Uhh what is a bear"
He says "I think you know it when you see it."

"We have a big show coming up in three weeks" Gee thanks for the work.

jumpnblues
02-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Just to add to the discussion...the grizzly isn't the biggest, baddest, bear. Both the Kodiak and polar bear are much larger on average. The polar bear with it's longer neck is built for ripping and tearing. And some of the largest ones can approach 10-12 feet tall on their hind legs and weigh just a couple hundred lbs shy of a ton!! Kodiaks are about the same size as polar bears. Both are monsters. I don't know for sure but I would think a bear that size (or even 1000 lbs) would destroy just about anything else in short order. Male grizzly bears average around 600-900 lbs with some sub-species (Kodiak) approaching 1500 lbs. That's still a lot of very ferocious bear.

Tom

dead mike
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Anthony Hopkins
that sir was the shit. god that made me laugh.

lougio
02-09-2010, 10:33 PM

That Youtube of the Cougar and the Bear is from a movie. The Grizzly is larger, has a greater bite force and longer claws. While they are both very powerful the Grizzly is more powerful. So without a doubt the Grizzly would win.

Brown Bear and Grizzly are the same just their size varies according to regions. The Kodiak Brown Bear is a different breed because they are geograpically isolated from the other Brown Bear populations.

The Killer Whale is the baddest animal on the planet.

Sadhaka
02-10-2010, 04:56 AM
I'd love to say Lion but I had to vote for either way.

Due to the high proportion of North Americans on this forum there is a high propensity for close proximity encounters with bears. I know that they are badass!

But there has been no comment at all like "I was in Africa and this freakin Lion..."

I think it's gotta be speculation at this stage except the reports of Roman fights are pretty intriguing.

For example:

I always thought that I could take out a guard dog no sweat. I weigh 96kg (211lbs), am reasonably strong and quite agile. I stand on my hind legs and have a long reach. In a fight to the death (like if I was being attacked) I thought that I would go mental and tear the dog to shreds. I mean an alsatian weighs less than half me right? I could literally pick up the dog and swing it around and smash it if need be right?

Every person that I have discussed this with has thought that I was completely out of my mind and that the dog would just rip me to shreds. I sincerely hope that this match up never occurs!

So the reports here are Bear bigger = Bear Win.

Lions survive by being able to take out prey that has incredibly tough hide and layers and layers of muscle, with massive horns.

I just think that they are both such hardcore animals that it could go either way...

Sadhaka
02-10-2010, 05:11 AM
The bear stands on his two hind legs in a fight to allow him to use his front paws, thus making him too high for the lion to get onto his neck.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2060/1580257938_322e911f7c.jpg

Grizzly vs Cougar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7MuFDVEUro

This issue elsewhere:

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=546

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69002

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/grizzly-bear-vs-lion/414379/

I realise that this is a tiger, but watch this kitty jump!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jojNzvtP6LY

57special
02-10-2010, 06:53 AM

Dana O.

Man, i thought you were a bit older than me, but, DUDE!:p

57special
02-10-2010, 07:06 AM
That Youtube of the Cougar and the Bear is from a movie. The Grizzly is larger, has a greater bite force and longer claws. While they are both very powerful the Grizzly is more powerful. So without a doubt the Grizzly would win.

Brown Bear and Grizzly are the same just their size varies according to regions. The Kodiak Brown Bear is a different breed because they are geograpically isolated from the other Brown Bear populations.

The Killer Whale is the baddest animal on the planet.

Yeah, the Kodiaks get very big because of the abundance of fish. Other regions also get some big Grizzlies. 8-900 lbs, isn't rare at all for a male.
Basically the rules for encountering a Black Bear, Cougar, and Grizzly, are respectively;
- if cornered, fight back. Odds aren't good, but there are many instances of Black bears being beaten off. If you're an idiot tourist who got too close trying to get a posed picture of you and the bear together, then do the world a favor and just die.
- if attacked, fight back. There are instances of women fighting off Cougars, who max out at 200lbs.. Usually the ones who attack humans are either adolescent or starving, and therefore smaller than normal.
- play dead. Don't piss off a Grizzly. Most don't like the taste of humans.

No expert, but my old place on Vancouver island used to have Black bears (in the fall, when they'd gorge themselves on fallen apples and get drunk. Very funny!) and the odd cougar pass through.

gregorybj
02-10-2010, 07:49 AM

maybe, but it some of the only evidence that I have. Can you find a vid with some evidence to show that a bear would beat a lion?

gregorybj
02-10-2010, 07:54 AM
http://wikiality.wikia.com/Bears

really funny!

gregorybj
02-10-2010, 08:05 AM
tKH2oLjQIAA&feature

daddyo
02-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Let's not get carried away comparing a cougar to a male african lion. The male lion is on average twice as large as a male cougar. I still think that a grizzly would win as a well fed grizzly tends to be about twice as large as a male lion.

jumpnblues
02-10-2010, 08:53 AM
"[...The Killer Whale is the baddest animal on the planet....]"

Not sure I'd argue with that. I saw a vid of a killer whale biting a large great white shark in half!! They sometimes eat sharks.

Tom

Frankee
02-10-2010, 09:39 AM
that sir was the shit. god that made me laugh.

I think you're the only one that got the joke........that, or maybe it wasn't that funny....IDK. :dunno

siore
02-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Chuck Norris

Scott Peterson
02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
The one with the bigger gun.

(d'oh!) :peenut

hk45acp
02-10-2010, 10:45 AM
bear=big dog, lion=big cat, I pick dog
now Giant squid versus Loch Ness monster might be closer

57special
02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
A mother protecting her children will fight to the death. Most animals understand this, and don't go into such a fight willingly unless the odds are overwhelmingly on their favor. Why risk injury? The Cougar vs. Bear video is such a case.