PDA

View Full Version : High profile sideman salary is...

tubetwang
02-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Any of you's dudes and dudettes know what a high profile sideman like RUSTY ANDERSON gets in salary for playing guitar for Paul McCartney...

Just curious...and :knitting:knittingno...i do not want the job...

jb70
02-09-2010, 10:14 AM
i remember hearing that paul pesco made $300,000 on a madonna tour back in the 80's. i'm not sure how true this was but it sounds reasonable. i also heard that the guys in saturday night live band make about $150,000 per season. not a bad gig if you ask me!

OldSchool
02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
i remember hearing that paul pesco made $300,000 on a madonna tour back in the 80's. i'm not sure how true this was but it sounds reasonable. i also heard that the guys in saturday night live band make about $150,000 per season. not a bad gig if you ask me!

No......but $150,000 does NOT go very far in NYC trust me. Those guys had better be gigging their butts off as well. But yeah......it beats most 9-5 jobs for sure. (Do they have a retirement 401k?)

tubetwang
02-09-2010, 10:52 AM
conforting...:munch

Thanks Jack!

tubetwang
02-09-2010, 10:57 AM
No......but $150,000 does NOT go very far in NYC trust me. Those guys had better be gigging their butts off as well. But yeah......it beats most 9-5 jobs for sure. (Do they have a retirement 401k?)

Granted NYC is expensive...and you are in an extremely competitive market,

but 150k per season = is 600k

That is ok salary, i guess...:knitting

Papajuice
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
I know the last Bruce tour the E Street band got to split 50% of he profits between them, the Boss received the other 50%

tubetwang
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I know the last Bruce tour the E Street band got to split 50% of he prophets between them, the Boss received the other 50%

that's cool!:love:

jb70
02-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Granted NYC is expensive...and you are in an extremely competitive market,

but 150k per season = is 600k

i meant they make $150,000 each season of the show. so they make $150,000 over 7 or 8 months (i'm not sure how long a season of snl is)

dbeeman
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I know the last Bruce tour the E Street band got to split 50% of he prophets between them, the Boss received the other 50%

yes so both the boss and the band know what the future holds. All they have to do is ask their prophets.

I am still wondering how the split up the money :roll

Plague Dog
02-09-2010, 11:21 AM
A typical season in Television terms is like 13 episodes isn't it? of course something like David Letterman is a complete different story.

So you work 13 weeks out of 52 which leaves you 39 weeks to seek compensation from other ventures, and you have that you play on SNL or whatever on your resume`...

Not a bad gig at all.

Calaban
02-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I can't answer the question about sideman gigs, but apparently Dave Matthews splits everything evenly with his bandmates....EVERYTHING including publishing. That is pretty damn cool....

OldSchool
02-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I know that Bon Jovi is a paid gig too for Ritchie and the guys. Jon Runs the show and owns the name. He gets $100% and pays them accordingly. Must be generous though because they don't seem to be complaining. :aok

Dasein
02-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Any of you's dudes and dudettes know what a high profile sideman like RUSTY ANDERSON gets in salary for playing guitar for Paul McCartney...

Just curious...and :knitting:knittingno...i do not want the job...
Paul, like Jagger and Page is notoriously cheep. My guess is he pays his sidemen less than what other high profile artists would - simply because he can. There's a long list of sidemen who feel a bad after-taste as it relates to pay from Sir Paul -- I even recall a lawsuit once or twice.

OldSchool
02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Paul, like Jagger and Page is notoriously cheep. My guess is he pays his sidemen less than what other high profile artists would - simply because he can. There's a long list of sidemen who feel a bad after-taste as it relates to pay from Sir Paul -- I even recall a lawsuit once or twice.

Sure Pays his Ex wives well though doesn't he? http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon10.gif

Guitar55
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
yes so both the boss and the band know what the future holds. All they have to do is ask their prophets.

How much is half a Moses?

pickaguitar
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
It's gotta suck being in a long term band situation where the rest of the members are rich and you contantly try to keep up/fit in on a regular person salary

tubetwang
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=Dasein;7691553]Paul, like Jagger and Page is notoriously cheep. My guess is he pays his sidemen less than what other high profile artists would - simply because he can. There's a long list of sidemen who feel a bad after-taste as it relates to pay from Sir Paul -- I even recall a lawsuit once or twice.[/QUOT

wow...i knew Sir Paul knows the value of hard earned money...but i did'nt think he was cheap...but then again...what do i know...

i read that Jagger is not a big tipper...:knitting

Plague Dog
02-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Most people work for someone who is fairly rich while their employees struggle to keep up...

amc
02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Most people work for someone who is fairly rich while their employees struggle to keep up...

truer words were never spoken...............

Plague Dog
02-09-2010, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=Dasein;7691553]Paul, like Jagger and Page is notoriously cheep. My guess is he pays his sidemen less than what other high profile artists would - simply because he can. There's a long list of sidemen who feel a bad after-taste as it relates to pay from Sir Paul -- I even recall a lawsuit once or twice.[/QUOT

wow...i knew Sir Paul knows the value of hard earned money...but i did'nt think he was cheap...but then again...what do i know...

i read that Jagger is not a big tipper...:knitting

Yeah, there was a pretty famous lawsuit brought on by 3 partners sir Paul had in a band he was once in. When the band split up Sir Paul walked away with millions of dollars while the other three were left with gigantic debts.

ando
02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
half a moses, now that's funny!

Guitar55
02-09-2010, 11:46 AM
half a moses, now that's funny!

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

amc
02-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks, I'll be here all week.

try the veal...........

Flyin' Brian
02-09-2010, 11:52 AM

I have inside info on one of Paul's people and this couldn't be further from the truth. Paul pays VERY well.

blanche
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I know that Bon Jovi is a paid gig too for Ritchie and the guys. Jon Runs the show and owns the name. He gets $100% and pays them accordingly. Must be generous though because they don't seem to be complaining. :aok

where else are they gonna go?

Bobby D
02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
I can't answer the question about sideman gigs, but apparently Dave Matthews splits everything evenly with his bandmates....EVERYTHING including publishing. That is pretty damn cool....

when Dave got signed to RCA, he had already sold 90,000 units of his first CD as an indie.

that CD "remember two things" is still owned 100% by the band, and has sold over 6 million copies (last time i look at soundscan years ago)

so they make AT LEAST $10 per unit on that one......

that's 60 million alone.

and a 40 page merch catalog that RCA did not get their grubby hands on....

Dave and his band are doing OK...

tubetwang
02-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I have inside info on one of Paul's people and this couldn't be further from the truth. Paul pays VERY well.

thanks for the reassuring words Brian...

I always thought that Paul was a fair and cool dude...

tubetwang
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
when Dave got signed to RCA, he had already sold 90,000 units of his first CD as an indie.

that CD "remember two things" is still owned 100% by the band, and has sold over 6 million copies (last time i look at soundscan years ago)

so they make AT LEAST $10 per unit on that one......

that's 60 million alone.

and a 40 page merch catalog that RCA did not get their grubby hands on....

Dave and his band are doing OK...

Times are changing...

These guys are smart and have a good head on their shoulders...

So many artist are being screwd but...sad!

toddlee
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM

I think Jon actually redid that deal about 10 years ago and made Richie a Partner.....I think Richie demanded a little something extra due to the fact that he writes alot of the material for every album.

amc
02-09-2010, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=tubetwang;7691662]

Yeah, there was a pretty famous lawsuit brought on by 3 partners sir Paul had in a band he was once in. When the band split up Sir Paul walked away with millions of dollars while the other three were left with gigantic debts.

can you be more specific since this does affect how we view sir paul

otherwise, it's just nasty rumor and innuendo...................

btw: jagger was slammed as well. where did that info come from?

chrisgraff
02-09-2010, 12:39 PM
These days, the list of acts that pay more than $100k/yr. is a short one.

mik777
02-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I wonder what Robbie McIntosh gets paid??

84Bravo
02-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Sure Pays his Ex wives well though doesn't he? http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon10.gif

He only has one ex-wife.

Ted Witcher
02-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Top-tier these days is 18-20 a week or thereabouts. Sometimes an end-of-tour or holiday bonus. I do know that Bruce does the last show of a tour for the band -- meaning, the entire fee for the gig is the band's, not his, and they split it evenly.

John Thigpen
02-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I used to work with someone who knew a guitarist who played with Barry Manilow. I don't remember the details, but I got the definite impression that Manilow paid the musicians as little as possible.

John

Broken Cord
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM

Is that you Paul?

Bobby D
02-09-2010, 12:49 PM
i knew one of j-Lo's guitarists down here in miami, he was getting $5k per week on tour. not too shabby.:phones

Tone_Terrific
02-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Pino P seems to snap up every high profile bass gig he can find, although he seem to be a jazzer, at heart.
These in-demand guys must all have agents, accountants and lawyers on the team to keep the contracts straight.

chrisjw5
02-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Are touring musicians like pro baseball players who get a per diem to cover daily expenses (that they actually pocket because they pay very little in daily expenses)?

meterman
02-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I used to work with someone who knew a guitarist who played with Barry Manilow. I don't remember the details, but I got the definite impression that Manilow paid the musicians as little as possible.

John

Talk about adding insult to injury :roll

buddaman71
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
The advantage about major tour pay, is that it usually also pays a per diem for daily expenses, and you only have minimal expenses whilst on the road, so most of it can be directly deposited in your bank account and draw some interest while your traveling.

guitarua
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
I wonder what Robbie McIntosh gets paid??

I bet Mayer pays Robbie well.....or else he'll shit all over the slide solo in Daughters...j/k.

Mayer seems like a genuine guitar dude, so I bet Robbie is making what he's worth.

Hamp
02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
How much is half a Moses?

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4315/halfmoses2.gif (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/halfmoses2.gif/)

Ref (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Half-MosesCircle.html)

Kriskov
02-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Damn, I forgot to carry the one and raise a little Cain!

Thinsocks
02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=tubetwang;7691662]

Actually Paul filed suit against John, George and Ringo to dissolve the Beatles as a business partnership. His main aim was to oust Allen Klein, but since John, George and Ringo were partners in his business (The Beatles) he had to name them as defendants. Over time the other 3 Beatles eventually admitted that it was the right thing to do since Klein ended up being rather unethical. Paul was certainly a lot more savy then the other guys.

You can read about it here.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/paullawsuit.html

AJ Love
02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I thought it was cool that Mettalica paid Robert Trujillo a Million dollars to join the band, that he was brought in as a band-member and not treated as a sideman

Ted Witcher
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I thought it was cool that Mettalica paid Robert Trujillo a Million dollars to join the band, that he was brought in as a band-member and not treated as a sideman

Yeah, good on them. I think they made him a full partner. Very rare. Ronnie Wood didn't get the real bread until the 90s -- and I think he still makes less than Mick and Keith.

zzmoore
02-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Talk about adding insult to injury :roll
Yeah...... my sister lived next door to a guy, who rode the bus with a guy, that knew somebody, that said XYZ did not pay ABC much money at all for that huge tour he did with them in 2001. And I believe every word of it......

mik777
02-09-2010, 01:53 PM
:bonkWhy dont we just ask Pete Thorn?? He would know, wouldnt he?:dunno

Alister
02-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah...... my sister lived next door to a guy, who rode the bus with a guy, that knew somebody, that said XYZ did not pay ABC much money at all for that huge tour he did with them in 2001. And I believe every word of it......

THAT WAS ME!! I was the guy on the bus.
My brother-in-law -- well, my ex-brother-in-law, he worked with a guy who went to middle school with XYZ. Swear to gawd.
Wow. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Remind me to tell you about the time I almost saw Billy Gibbons at a Quick Shop.

lhallam
02-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I just finished reading "McCartney A Life".

According to the author, Paul made promises to the first rendition of the Wings band that they would share in the profits. As the players were mostly studio guys they were working harder and making less than if they had stayed in the studio.

They finally left when they didn't get what they felt they deserved.

HOWEVER, years later when reminded, Paul told them that "he'd make things right". Apparently they got their money in spades.

Pretty good book, I'd recommend it. I've read a few biographies and got some new tidbits out of this one. For example, Paul and Yoko get on better than most people perceive.

Yoko flew to England when John was with May Pang to tell Paul if John was good she'd take him back. It was Paul who told this to John who then took his advice and went back to NYC and wooed Yoko. "She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah."

In a certain sense, Paul inadvertantly sealed the deal that The Beatles would never get back together. Fairly ironic.

steve108819
02-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Is that you Paul?
No, it's Brian Ray, Pauls other guitarist. :D

dohootowl
02-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Are touring musicians like pro baseball players who get a per diem to cover daily expenses (that they actually pocket because they pay very little in daily expenses)?

You're darn tootin' they do! A little off-topic, but I met one of the road crew for Heart back in the early 80's and he said he made about 70k per year plus an insanely high per diem. That was serious money back then. It was also serious work with not a lot of sleep. Bands talk about being worn out from the road, but they don't compare to the roadies.

dohootowl
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Damn, I forgot to carry the one and raise a little Cain!
Wow. I wasn't Abel to comprehend that.

Papajuice
02-09-2010, 02:58 PM

I am corrected.

itkindaworks
02-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, good on them. I think they made him a full partner. Very rare. Ronnie Wood didn't get the real bread until the 90s -- and I think he still makes less than Mick and Keith.
He definitely makes less than Mick and Keith. They are the only credited songwriters, with a few rare exceptions.

Ted Witcher
02-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm not talking about writing money. I'm talking about tour and merch and other shit -- the real money.

joseph
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I had read that when Springsteen did the first 'reunion' tour, which I guess was back in the late 90s, that he and the band split the band's share 6 ways (or however many guys were in it)...which had to mean each guy walked away with 6-8 million dollars from around 12-15 mos touring.
He's gotten a bit more conservative if he's taking half for himself these years. Still, a huge amount of money by any reckoning. Also, who's to know if Springsteen pays for some of the other expenses for mounting the tour, etc etc

Flyin' Brian
02-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Is that you Paul?

LOL I wish!

With respect to Manilow and acts of that ilk, I just read a story in an aviation mag of how a company is suing Wayne Newton for the work and storage for one of his private airplanes. He's also on the Las Vegas musician's union's unfair list...sterling fellow.

Danke Schoen Wayne.

twinrider1
02-09-2010, 03:14 PM
High profile sideman...like Waddy Wachtel, Leland Sklar, Snowy White. Guys that are household names (well, sorta), but aren't really in the bands. Those are the guys I wonder about.

Bob Maximus
02-09-2010, 03:14 PM

Brian, I think Laurence Juber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Juber) was one of the sidemen that complained about Paul being very cheap. That's just from my memory. I haven't done any recent research. But I remember Paul disputing Lawrence's claim.

Cap'n Fingers
02-09-2010, 03:16 PM
i knew one of j-Lo's guitarists down here in miami, he was getting $5k per week on tour. not too shabby.:phones

Was that a salary amount he got whether or not they were working or strickly an on the road per/week?

Bob Maximus
02-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Was that a salary amount he got whether or not they were working or strickly an on the road per/week?

That's pretty good for playing along with a sync track :roll !!!

Sorry, couldn't pass it up :dunno

bluesjunior
02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I think musicians like Pino Paladino, Steve Gadd, Greg Philinganes, Nathan East, Andy Fairweather etc etc have the best jobs in the world. All the kudos of playing with the top guys and being paid accordingly without having all the hassles of the fame game. On top of that when it's all over they can easily get a big publishing advance for their memoirs to keep them in their dotage. Way to go.

Cap'n Fingers
02-09-2010, 03:40 PM
That's pretty good for playing along with a sync track :roll !!!

Sorry, couldn't pass it up :dunno

That was a J-low blow.
:beer

sinasl1
02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
It's kind of useless to talk about yearly salary- most artists pay you by the week. Sometimes there's a retainer for downtime, sometimes not. I raLly have no idea what I make every year til I do my taxes... And it usuallyvaries wildly from year to year. When you aren't on tour, unless there's a retainer, you aren't making anything. Which means- always keep your ear to the ground.... You better have a thick skin. If I know what I'm doing for the next 2 months, man that's as much job security as I've ever known.

Of course, no 2 gigs are the same, so there might be some bands out there that pay a set amount for the year. But almost every gig I've ever done, I got a weekly salary (that's sometimes pro rated for one offs , or sometimes less than 3 days a week=pro rated, 4 or more=full weeks pay

some artists pay bonuses too, like the Metallica story. I heard Paul Mccartney paid a huge bonus one year. I'm friends with Brian and know Rusty pretty well, but I'd never ask them specifics about such things, I consider it bad form...

Flyin' Brian
02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Brian, I think Laurence Juber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Juber) was one of the sidemen that complained about Paul being very cheap. That's just from my memory. I haven't done any recent research. But I remember Paul disputing Lawrence's claim.

I guess ultimately we'll never know, nor should we.

anais
02-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Not true. At all.

Rusty gets what everyone else in Paul's band makes. 1 million USD/year. Thats if they do one show or 100 shows. If Paul paid them all crap then why has Rusty and Abe been with him for almost 10 years now?:dunno

tubetwang
02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
It's kind of useless to talk about yearly salary- most artists pay you by the week. Sometimes there's a retainer for downtime, sometimes not. I raLly have no idea what I make every year til I do my taxes... And it usuallyvaries wildly from year to year. When you aren't on tour, unless there's a retainer, you aren't making anything. Which means- always keep your ear to the ground.... You better have a thick skin. If I know what I'm doing for the next 2 months, man that's as much job security as I've ever known.

Of course, no 2 gigs are the same, so there might be some bands out there that pay a set amount for the year. But almost every gig I've ever done, I got a weekly salary (that's sometimes pro rated for one offs , or sometimes less than 3 days a week=pro rated, 4 or more=full weeks pay

some artists pay bonuses too, like the Metallica story. I heard Paul Mccartney paid a huge bonus one year. I'm friends with Brian and know Rusty pretty well, but I'd never ask them specifics about such things, I consider it bad form...

interesting comments Sinas...

thanks for sharing!

tubetwang
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Not true. At all.

Rusty gets what everyone else in Paul's band makes. 1 million USD/year. Thats if they do one show or 100 shows. If Paul paid them all crap then why has Rusty and Abe been with him for almost 10 years now?:dunno

that is what i though without really knowing...

makes sense to me.

JPERRYROCKS
02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I think you have to manage your money as an artist.

Touring can be very expensive. The big acts like Madonna and the Stones are very differnt that average to middle artists playing 3,000 seats.

As far as Metallic - that was an ADVANCE for Rob agaist future earnings.

Listen to Lars in that video. Unless he changed what he said in the actual contract.

Either way, most of these artists are far better off that they would be otherwise.

How many talented folks are working 9-5 jobs and playing for $100 on the weekend at the local dive bar?

Dasein
02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Listen guys -- Paul today I have no info about -- but Paul of yesteryear - different story. You gotta understand about British working class musicians - the working class of Paul's generation was so bloody poor that it was and is not uncommon for them to be super tight with money. This is not really disputed and is readily understood. Paul, Jagger and Page -- all notoriously tight with their cash.

Paul did get sued by Denny Lane from Wings who made claims that he was not fairly compensated. Paul's response was something along the lines of I paid him 1 million pounds what's his problem --- the problem was that the million pounds was over 10 years -- and relative to what Paul earned (and probably what he paid Linda) Denny was left feeling underpaid. Famous lawsuit -- lots of history -- Denny filed for bankruptcy in the end (after selling off his publishing rights to Paul). It's one of the reasons why I thought Michael Jackson's purchase of the Beatles rights from under Paul's nose was Karma.

anais
02-09-2010, 05:58 PM
It's one of the reasons why I thought Michael Jackson's purchase of the Beatles rights from under Paul's nose was Karma.

That was basically a public sale of the catalogue. Michael asked Paul what a good investment was other than stock and such and Paul told him to buy catalogues.. If Paul had the proper money at the time and the right partners for the deal he could have acquired it. That is no secret...

Having said that, I can only speak of what I know for sure, and most of those guys are NOT tight with money... A friend of mine was on tour with Plant and Allison Krauss on their first tour and she was paid VERY well.

I also had the chance to hang out with Pino Palladino when I was producing a record in summer 2008.. he was tracking a Squeeze tribute record in the other studio, of all things, and obviously The Who came up in the conversation. When I asked how that was going his response was, "I have had hard shoes to fill but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to be able to retire someday, so I took the gig." So I guess some of those old, up from nothing, brit guys pay out a bit better than TGP's beloved John Mayer does on the road..

Most of those guys are getting older and know they dont have too much time left, and they are making money hand over fist faster then ever because people feel the need to pay hundreds of dollars for a concert ticket in order to grasp onto their youth a little harder. There is plenty of money to go around for the hired guns of the classic artists..

Guys like John Legend and The Roots shell out 750-1000 a week for hired help.. which seems like peanuts in comparison to being able to retire on a few tours..

JPERRYROCKS
02-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't think you can blame cats like Jagger for being cheap.

The stones got screwed out of untold millions with a bad business deal.

Most of their 60s hits royalties got taken by managers thru very bad publishing deals they signed when they were 20 years old.

solphilcox
02-10-2010, 03:14 AM
I don't think you can blame cats like Jagger for being cheap.

The stones got screwed out of untold millions with a bad business deal.

Most of their 60s hits royalties got taken by managers thru very bad publishing deals they signed when they were 20 years old.

awww diddums. sometimes the world is just beyond unfair.

rh
02-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Paul, like Jagger and Page is notoriously cheep.

Hmmm. I have it from a direct source that Jagger / the Stones are both NOT cheap, and a first class business organization to work with.

There's probably an exception to that out there somewhere. I'm just providing another data point.

GCDEF
02-10-2010, 06:24 AM

I remember reading about his divorce recently. His net worth was reportedly around $100 million. He's doing okay.

wstsidela
02-10-2010, 06:34 AM
I have Bill Wyman's email address. Maybe I should ask him how much money he made? :facepalm

tubetwang
02-10-2010, 07:33 AM
I have Bill Wyman's email address. Maybe I should ask him how much money he made? :facepalm

please don't...

wstsidela
02-10-2010, 11:06 AM
please don't...

LOL!! I wouldn't dare. I'm just honored to be on his personal email blast list.

V

OldSchool
02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I think Jon actually redid that deal about 10 years ago and made Richie a Partner.....I think Richie demanded a little something extra due to the fact that he writes alot of the material for every album.

Nope. Very recent interview reveled that they are all just paid employees of Jon Bon Jovi.

guitbeef
02-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Nope. Very recent interview reveled that they are all just paid employees of Jon Bon Jovi.

I don't know anything about the business structure of Bon Jovi, but that arrangement does bring to mind a successful Nashville based group that I know has a similar arrangement. In this band's case the singer is the CEO, owner, whatever-you-call-it. But I hear it never came about as a control-freak or ego thing on the frontman's part. What happened was once upon a time everything was reviewed, voted and decided as a group. One by one various remaining members wanted out of that headache (especially the business end of it, they just really wanted to play), so one by one they agreed to sell their individual ownership to the singer. It has never been a bad situation, however, as the remaining original members are compensated very well and respected and still have opportunities for input on a lot of matters, and everyone's happy (even the sidemen who very well taken care of). But technically the original guys went from co-proprietors to employees.

Wonder if Bon Jovi or any other groups have a happy ending like that? I'm sure there would be some horror stories, if we only knew...

Ted Witcher
02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, it was Jon's record deal. The guys were hired and presented as "Bon Jovi." It works in their case clearly because the band is phenomenally successful. No bitching about money or control/input -- you know clearly where you stand. We weren't grade-school mates and how can you do that to me? or anything like that. I believe artistic enterprises (and certainly commercial ones) tend to work best as benevolent dictatorships rather than democracies. The only way that works is if the band is on a salary, a huge one, if necessary. Saves the headaches.

Link Ramone
02-10-2010, 11:16 PM

Don't know where you heard that. I knew one of the singers on The Liverpool Oratorio -- sadly he passed on a couple years ago -- and he raved about Paul as a boss. Said Paul took care of everything from travel to day-to-day living expenses, paid extremely well and was a great guy to boot. Paul jammed with my acquaintance -- who was an Elvis nut -- several times, allowing him to play a bass formerly owned by Bill Black and some guitars once owned by The King himself. On a day off Paul even gave him a personal tour of Liverpool.

As if that weren't enough, my acquaintance said Paul was also very generous with his ... let's say herbal supplements. Moreover they were the greatest herbal supplements the singer ever tried!

phusana
02-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Hmmm. I have it from a direct source that Jagger / the Stones are both NOT cheap, and a first class business organization to work with.

There's probably an exception to that out there somewhere. I'm just providing another data point.

I'm thinking that Mick Taylor would have a different opinion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1213013/The-Rolling-Stone-whos-stony-broke-Why-Mick-Taylor-lives-rundown-Suffolk-semi-shabby-car.html

bunuel
02-11-2010, 01:04 AM

The skinflint nature of Jagger & richards towards side people is very well documented. For instance, in Ian MacLagan's recent-ish auto-bio he recounts that this drove him to quit touring with them--while they were raking it in, Jagger & Richards were constantly d**king around w/ him regarding pay. Keep in mind this was with someone they'd known & played with since they were all in their 20s. Poor stu, they even treated much worse, including monetarily.

missing_dave
02-11-2010, 02:09 AM
to get off paul and stones for a minute (neat thread btw) what about guys that play on say the keith urban tour? or doyle for clapton?

bluesjunior
02-11-2010, 03:04 AM
I don't know anything about the business structure of Bon Jovi, but that arrangement does bring to mind a successful Nashville based group that I know has a similar arrangement. In this band's case the singer is the CEO, owner, whatever-you-call-it. But I hear it never came about as a control-freak or ego thing on the frontman's part. What happened was once upon a time everything was reviewed, voted and decided as a group. One by one various remaining members wanted out of that headache (especially the business end of it, they just really wanted to play), so one by one they agreed to sell their individual ownership to the singer. It has never been a bad situation, however, as the remaining original members are compensated very well and respected and still have opportunities for input on a lot of matters, and everyone's happy (even the sidemen who very well taken care of). But technically the original guys went from co-proprietors to employees.

Wonder if Bon Jovi or any other groups have a happy ending like that? I'm sure there would be some horror stories, if we only knew...
A similar thing happened when David Gilmour reformed the Pink Floyd after Roger Waters left. Rick Wright didn't want to risk his own capital and rejoined as a sideman while Nick Mason and Gilmore split the investment 50/50 and then they released the Division Bell.http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon10.gif

Balok
02-11-2010, 04:28 AM
Back to the OP's question.
Any specific salary info around? Dollar amounts paid. (as opposed to "so and so is cheap I heard")
This is a very, VERY interesting topic.

stupidmunkey214
02-11-2010, 06:49 AM
to get off paul and stones for a minute (neat thread btw) what about guys that play on say the keith urban tour? or doyle for clapton?

Yea, I'm interested in how Clapton pays Doyle compared to how Waters did. Either way, it really not being any of my business, I'll just have to say that I enjoy the hell out of listening to both projects.

I wonder what this lineup would cost me:

Pino
Doyle
Doyle's wife on backup
JJ Johnson
Brian Blade
Chad Franscoviak

Tony
02-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Well, it was Jon's record deal. The guys were hired and presented as "Bon Jovi." It works in their case clearly because the band is phenomenally successful. No bitching about money or control/input -- you know clearly where you stand. We weren't grade-school mates and how can you do that to me? or anything like that. I believe artistic enterprises (and certainly commercial ones) tend to work best as benevolent dictatorships rather than democracies. The only way that works is if the band is on a salary, a huge one, if necessary. Saves the headaches.

Absolutely 100% agreed. Looking back, hindsight 20/20 and all, I would MUCH rather have focused on being a paid sideman than being a "partner" in the band. Too much headache. Just tell me when/where the gig is, what we're playing, and send me my check. Done.

Bob Maximus
02-11-2010, 09:10 AM

OK just for discussion and these aren't typical;

I know many people that play in national country acts...no names but someone that is in Travis Tritt's band pulled in $60k last year and is on retainer. A person that is in Toby Kieth's enterage pulled in about $40k and is also on retainer. I know a few others but that is a general idea. These gigs are incredibly hard to get. There is a waiting list a mile long.

CharAznable
02-11-2010, 09:39 AM
So how much should I budget to get Pino and Simon Phillips for my trio?

Bob Maximus
02-11-2010, 09:46 AM
So how much should I budget to get Pino and Simon Phillips for my trio?

hehehehe

The Who breaking up? :roll

Ted Witcher
02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Back to the OP's question.
Any specific salary info around? Dollar amounts paid. (as opposed to "so and so is cheap I heard")
This is a very, VERY interesting topic.

I know some of the figures for people mentioned, but there's a reason why you're not going to get any responses. 1) It's gauche to publicize somebody's salary, and 2) there could be some blowback, in that often some members of the same band are making more than others, even if they have comparable credentials. It's all about what you, individually, can negotiate for yourself. And management might even tell you, "Keep this [number] to yourself," not wanting to screw up relationships with other musicians.

So basically, if you want to hire Pino Palladino or whomever, ring him up. I'm sure he'll give you a price.

tubetwang
02-12-2010, 07:01 AM
I know some of the figures for people mentioned, but there's a reason why you're not going to get any responses. 1) It's gauche to publicize somebody's salary, and 2) there could be some blowback, in that often some members of the same band are making more than others, even if they have comparable credentials. It's all about what you, individually, can negotiate for yourself. And management might even tell you, "Keep this [number] to yourself," not wanting to screw up relationships with other musicians.

So basically, if you want to hire Pino Palladino or whomever, ring him up. I'm sure he'll give you a price.

we are just talking ball park figure here...plus or minus 50K say...

we want this to be enjoyed and fun for the whole family...

Lawyers are not needed here...:knitting

heavysoul
02-12-2010, 10:42 AM
i meant they make $150,000 each season of the show. so they make $150,000 over 7 or 8 months (i'm not sure how long a season of snl is)

150k for 7-8 months of work still aint a bad gig!

tubetwang
02-12-2010, 10:48 AM
150k for 7-8 months of work still aint a bad gig!

it's ok i guess...

i would'nt do it for any less but...

being on a retainer for 1 million a year is more like it...:knitting

dohootowl
02-12-2010, 11:43 AM

I know many people that play in national country acts...no names but someone that is in Travis Tritt's band pulled in $60k last year and is on retainer. A person that is in Toby Kieth's enterage pulled in about $40k and is also on retainer. I know a few others but that is a general idea. These gigs are incredibly hard to get. There is a waiting list a mile long.

This almost makes me glad that I'm not a sideman. That's pretty paltry, despite per diem.

dohootowl
02-12-2010, 11:46 AM

"It's good to be the king!".

aslandean
02-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Wow. I wasn't Abel to comprehend that.

Wow. You guys are impressing me. You've really gotta noah couple of things to carry on this conversation.

missing_dave
02-14-2010, 07:18 PM

wow..less than i thought..but a decent living and of course your playing big tours etc. playing period..that in itself is awesome..thanks for the post

Unburst
02-14-2010, 07:53 PM
wow..less than i thought..but a decent living and of course your playing big tours etc. playing period..that in itself is awesome..thanks for the post

Yes but being "on retainer" means they get paid that whether they are working or not and can take side gigs/teac/etc as long as they are available when needed.

gnashville
02-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I was a guitar tech for Tim McGraw in 01 and 02 and his band was paid about $75K in retainer/salary but then got an additional amt per week when he toured. THEN he demanded that his label let him use his band on his records (beginning with Tim McGraw and the Dancehall Doctors CD), so they got additional pay from the label (union scale). He's a generous guy...gave each band and crew guy a restored muscle car a few Christmases ago too. It's no wonder he's had the same band for soooo long. Believe me, there are better players in Nashville. Tim is a wealthy guy and could have Buka, McP, Rhodes, Needham, etc...on the road with him. But, he's a loyal guy who prefers to have his friends on the road with him. The same goes for Kenny Chesney who learned from Tim on his 01 tour.

I'm not an A-list player, but I'll just say that I've had offers from Little Big Town and Kelly Clarkson recently but they wouldn't match what I was making with Jeremy Camp. It's interesting. Sometimes artists/management take a "supply and demand" approach to hired guns. They will pay the lowest amount the market will allow them. Most guys let that happen b/c there's a certain prestige that comes with the higher profile gigs--plus you get to do things like Letterman, Leno, SNL, world travel, etc. In Nashville, there are hundreds of more-qualified guitarists lined up for my job, but thankfully Jeremy prefers having a a friend on stage rather than employee. Different mindset. From what I've gathered over the years, the top gigs here in Nashville are Tim, Faith, Carrie, or Keith, in terms of pay, hang, and music.

There's an adage here in town that goes like this: There are three reasons to take a gig: Good pay, good music, good hang. If you can get any two of those, you'll enjoy the gig. You can put up with bad pay if you're playing good music and like the folks you're with. You can put up with idiots if you're making good money playing great music. You can put up with bad music if you're paid well and like the peeps on the road. That litmus test has helped me make many career decisions.

For what it's worth...

pickaguitar
02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
we are just talking ball park figure here...plus or minus 50K say...

we want this to be enjoyed and fun for the whole family...

Lawyers are not needed here...:knitting
Yes...this :)

John II
02-22-2010, 12:07 PM
I was a guitar tech for Tim McGraw in 01 and 02 and his band used to make about $75K in retainer/salary but got an additional amt per week when he toured. THEN...he demanded that his label let him use them on his records (beginning with Tim McGraw and the Dancehall Doctors CD), so they got additional pay from the label (union scale). He's a generous guy...gave each band and crew guy a restored muscle car a few Christmases ago too. It's no wonder he's had the same band for soooo long. Believe me, there are better players in Nashville. Tim is a wealthy guy and could have Buka, McP, Rhodes, Needham, etc...on the road with him. But, he's a loyal guy who prefers to have his friends on the road with him. The same goes for Kenny Chesney who learned from Tim on his 01 tour.

I'm not an A-list player, but I'll just say that I've had offers from Little Big Town and Kelly Clarkson recently but they wouldn't match what I was making with Jeremy Camp. It's interesting. Sometimes artists/management take a "supply and demand" approach to hired guns. They will pay the lowest amount the market will allow them. Most guys let that happen b/c there's a certain prestige that comes with the higher profile gigs--plus you get to do things like Letterman, Leno, SNL, world travel, etc. In Nashville, there are hundreds of more-qualified guitarists lined up for my job, but thankfully Jeremy prefers having a a friend on stage rather than employee. Different mindset. From what I've gathered over the years, the top gigs here in Nashville are Tim, Faith, Carrie, or Keith, in terms of pay, hang, and music.

There's an adage here in town that goes like this: There are three reasons to take a gig: Good pay, good music, good hang. If you can get any two of those, you'll enjoy the gig. You can put up with bad pay if you're playing good music and like the folks you're with. You can put up with idiots if you're making good money playing great music. You can put up with bad music if you're paid well and like the peeps on the road. That litmus test has helped me make many career decisions.

For what it's worth...

I think Tim's Dance Hall Doctors record his is best. I love it from start to finish. Good for his touring band that they delivered arguably his best effort for him.

tubetwang
02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
great info right there Gnashville...

thanks a lot...

i just love insider's comments!

gnashville
02-22-2010, 12:34 PM
By the way, I meant nothing at all disparaging about Kelly Clarkson or Little Big Town. I have very close friends in both of those camps and I actually would love those gigs from a music and hang standpoint. Jeremy, however, books shows year-round rather than just seasonal touring and doesn't take time off. The downside of touring with an A-level artist is that they typically will take 6 mos to a year off from time to time leaving the band/crew to fend for themselves. I know with Jeremy I'll always have between 80-100 shows a year which leaves me lots of time to do other things. It's kind of a best-case situation for my wife and me.

Balok
02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I was a guitar tech for Tim McGraw in 01 and 02 and his band was paid about $75K in retainer/salary but then got an additional amt per week when he toured. THEN he demanded that his label let him use his band on his records (beginning with Tim McGraw and the Dancehall Doctors CD), so they got additional pay from the label (union scale). He's a generous guy...gave each band and crew guy a restored muscle car a few Christmases ago too. It's no wonder he's had the same band for soooo long. Believe me, there are better players in Nashville. Tim is a wealthy guy and could have Buka, McP, Rhodes, Needham, etc...on the road with him. But, he's a loyal guy who prefers to have his friends on the road with him. The same goes for Kenny Chesney who learned from Tim on his 01 tour.

For what it's worth...

Wow. Most interesting/ pertinent / valuable post I've read here in weeks. This kind of info is hard to come by, and around here, many pro level players lie low, and the celebrity players are all incognito to avoid the obvious deluge. Thanks for this info Gnashville.

freedom's door
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Great post Gnashville- thanks for actually saying something concrete and factual, instead of talking in in vague generalities or cryptic riddles like so many of the "pros" here often do.

gnashville
02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
how do you know any of that was factual? I play in the CCM industry. We're not really known to be all that trustworthy. ;)

guitbeef
02-22-2010, 07:17 PM
how do you know any of that was factual? I play in the CCM industry. We're not really known to be all that trustworthy. ;)

Good one! I worked in the CCM industry for a small, small stint in '93. Really appreciate your original post.

Gnashville was right and it is a real insight as to what can go on here. As for me, I've worked for an act for 9 nine years now, and I'm on salary year round- sorry, I'm not at liberty to say what the figure is. As far as being a sideman in this town, to borrow what a fellow TGP'er told me about the industry he works in, "it ain't gonna make you rich, and it ain't gonna make you poor". In my case, it's more money than I've ever made and it's a "home", and thankfully the guys I work for don't care in the slightest when I pick up other work, even with another recording artist. So I work a lot on the side and the extra money adds up, but honestly I'm so addicted to playing out and communicating with other musicians that I'd be sitting in for free where anyone would let me anyway (in fact, I still do from time to time). It can be tough during the wintertime for guys that work non-salaried artist gigs, but we're big believers in the "law of averages"- and also being smart with your money during the summer for the down time.

It's all relative, and I know I'm very lucky to have the gig I've had for so long, but the older I get I do dream of what it would be like to be at the big, big level of touring. Those top artists that Gnashville mentioned don't work a ton of dates a year- they usually do their big tour and that's about it. Might be 40, 50 dates or so, and they do take very good care of their loyal employees. That's a lot of sleeping in my own bed and having more time at the house, and also being in town more and networking can help for the future, too. But I ain't complaining one bit, as I'm just very thankful to play my guitar for a living in a major music city in the first place.

A sort-of mentor told me long ago "if you want to be a pro musician because you think it's easy or fun or might be a really cool thing to do for a living, don't do it as it's hell. But if you have NO other choice and know you MUST, then it's not hell at all, and a wonderful way to make a living".

Also, a big +1 on Gnashville's 3-point philosophy on working and what gigs to work. My main gig hits on all three, and I basically use that litmus test to decide which other work I want to take on. However, in this economy and my current electric bills, I'm taking just about every call that comes in for extra cash alone, much less the other two points, unfortunately.

Atmospheric
02-22-2010, 07:29 PM
about 10 years ago made about $40K/yr. It's considered a part-time position.

I was shocked when I heard this. I assumed that position paid at least $100K/yr.

Apparently not according a mutual friend.