PDA

View Full Version : I have a splinter in my toe and I can't get it out...

furry
02-11-2010, 05:54 AM
what the hell do I do now?

Tone-Control
02-11-2010, 06:01 AM
amputate :(

clarkram
02-11-2010, 06:01 AM
maybe have girlfriend/wife dig it out? numb it up with ice for 15-20 minutes before they start digging.

cram
02-11-2010, 06:05 AM
you'll get as many suggestions for how to get rid of hiccups, but here's my tried and true method - my feet are as hard as a caveman's foot during the summer as I go days without shoes on my feet..

Sometimes soaking my foot in hot water will allow me to shred the dead skin around the area to excavate.
Using a combination of tweezers and needles can help.
Having a friend do the work is best (this side of a hot nurse) - they can see it better.

And in the beauty of the body's mechanism, I've been unable to get some or all of a sliver - both wood and glass. The thing is - there will be fluid build up around the object and your body will basically squeeze it out. This has happened to me several times.

-your friendly barefoot freak.
cram

ChmpgnSupernover
02-11-2010, 06:11 AM
First:

-Clean w/ hydrogen peroxide

-Try and get it out w/ squeezing the skin around it and a pair of really nice tweezers.

If that doesn't work:

-Try not to step on it.

-Let it sit over night.

-Try not to step on it when you wake up.

-Take a shower

-Clean w/ hydrogen peroxide

-Try and get it out w/ squeezing the skin around it and a pair of really nice tweezers.

nitehawk55
02-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Once it begins to fester it will loosen and make it easier to find and get out .

Blindspot
02-11-2010, 07:03 AM
The difference between purpose built, high quality splinter tweezers and common tweezers is the same as the difference between a scalpel and a butter knife.

Once I got the right tool, I have not had any extraction problems.

TNJ
02-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Sterilize the tweezers and put some iodine/mercurochrome on the area first.
Can you see the splinter? Can you feel the edge (is it sticking out at all)?
If so...and if you have someone who can hold a magnifying glass up to it, you may be able to do this.
If it's buried, or if you are allergic to antiseptic solutions...get to an urgent care clinic or your doc, and let them handle it.
Also, when was the last time you had a tetanus shot?

Good luck,
S.
j

pokey
02-11-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm with the let it fester a bit crowd. It will heal faster if you dont dig around for it.

defcrew
02-11-2010, 07:40 AM
They can be painful. I had a metal splinter that stayed in the opposite side of my thumb knuckle for years! Every now and again I would get bold and start digging for it with whatever tool came to mind with no luck. I don't know if it came out or just moved on, frankly. Typically they will build up pressure in pus or fluids. I had one that did this and I squeezed it and it shot a good three feet in the air. They never seem to get in an easily accessible spot, do they?

scottlr
02-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Mmmmm....tweezers....wait a minute, let me sterilize them. Give me your lighter.

Blindspot
02-11-2010, 08:03 AM
I also recommend a splinter tweezer with attached magnifying glass - if you don't have an assistant to help, these can be very useful tools.

SarasotaSlim
02-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Apparently nobody's parents ever used Icthamol drawing salve to get a splinter?! Goop a little on area - cover with bandage over night.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21sJ9HjUjIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

furry
02-11-2010, 08:31 AM
thanks all--it's pretty deep in there methinks. my wife tried to dig it out with no luck. I guess I'll let it fester a bit, and give it another go in a week or two.

it's in a spot that I can't get to myself. If I could, I'd just dig it out with a needle. I have a high tolerance for pain, so I'd probably end up with a pool of blood and a pile of toe-flesh, but I'd get the sucker outa there...

TNJ
02-11-2010, 08:40 AM
If it gets infected...it will be alot harder to get at.
Sometimes these foreign bodies form what is known as an
inclusion cyst...where they will become encased in pus/fluid and be
easier to get at. That doesnt always happen though.
And infection is nothing to mess with anyway.

Good luck...keep us posted.

S.
j

pokey
02-11-2010, 08:49 AM
thanks all--it's pretty deep in there methinks. my wife tried to dig it out with no luck. I guess I'll let it fester a bit, and give it another go in a week or two.

it's in a spot that I can't get to myself. If I could, I'd just dig it out with a needle. I have a high tolerance for pain, so I'd probably end up with a pool of blood and a pile of toe-flesh, but I'd get the sucker outa there...

A week or two? In a week or two it will be past the festering stage and will have turned into a callous with a splinter in it.

A few days should be long enough I would think. :dunno

Good Luck

Baloney
02-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Go see a Dr.

teleman1
02-11-2010, 09:40 AM
If you have insurance and a reasonable co-pay, I'd visit the Doc. Fester?? How about infected? How about, you can't walk? If you can afford to be down and challenge your high threshold of pain, go for it

ACfixer
02-11-2010, 09:43 AM
No way, let it build pressure then dig the top off with the corner of a razor blade. Squeeze and watch it launch like sidewinder missile followed by a pus trail.

jumpnblues
02-11-2010, 09:49 AM
"[...Once I got the right tool, I have not had any extraction problems....]"

You're takin' teeth out with 'em?!!! :facepalm :D

Tom

banjoze
02-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Sounds like the opening to a new ZZ Top song...

John Coloccia
02-11-2010, 10:56 AM
If it gets infected, you're going to be wishing you went to a doctor. This is nothing to fool around with, especially around feet where people generally have poor circulation if they're going to have it anywhere. See a doc.

Michael Hunter
02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
I got blisters on me fingers! :rockin

Seriously, get it checked out. Hope all goes well.

fredgarvin
02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Dammit, I'm getting sick of these Toe threads. Same thing over and over...why can't just stop?!

meterman
02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I usually pull out my pocket knife, hit it with a lighter flame to sterilize, and use the tip to dig it out.

Cottage
02-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Wait for the help of some small creature. After you'll owe it big time.

jaydub69
02-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Impossible to make a diagnoses without pictures.

Wood? Metal? Glass?

If it's wood and you can walk on it, just deal with it.

SarasotaSlim
02-11-2010, 07:27 PM
And they just kept right on blabbing and didn't hear a word I said. So since I'm just talking to myself I'll just tell myself - "self - the next time you get a really deep splinter that you can't get with a tweezer remember to go down to the drugstore and ask for that ol' black goo you mother used to use for that kind of thing" (Obviously not one of you has ever heard of this stuff - and I thought there were a few old timers around here?!)

Apparently nobody's parents ever used Icthamol drawing salve to get a splinter?! Goop a little on area - cover with bandage over night.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21sJ9HjUjIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

gainiac
02-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I got one in my foot once......It was there for over 2-3 years....then one day it came out!!!

My foot was hurtin', I won't even begin to tell you how grossed out I got....yer body will push it out....eventually!!!!!

nitehawk55
02-11-2010, 08:35 PM
My dad still has slivers of metal from WW2 working their way out after 64 years !!

Give it about a week but keep an eye on it and seek medical help if it really turns red and sore suddenly .

Festering is not so much an infection as it is located right where the sliver is and it's just a natural way your body works to remove/push such things out .

Ginglymus
02-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I'd recommend ten or fifteen minute soaks, and continuing your effort to squeeze or tweeze it out. A tablespoon or two of epsom salts in a gallon of warm water has a drawing effect and will help your body expel that sliver. Serosanguinous fluid, the clear liquid component of your blood, will help carry it to the surface. If that fails, your body will attempt to wall it off in an inclusion cyst. Epsom salt is also mildly anti-bacterial. You don't want an abscess or pus-filled cyst like what was described earlier in the thread.

MeMota
02-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Is it quarter sawn?

stratbred
02-12-2010, 05:14 PM
It depends what material it is, also how large a splinter. Try and dig it out is my recommendation.

Cobra
02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4704249/splinter2-main_Full.jpg

shibby
02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
alder or mahogany?

furry
02-12-2010, 08:17 PM
It depends what material it is, also how large a splinter. Try and dig it out is my recommendation.

as I've said, if I could get at it, I would go at it with a needle until I was left with a bloody stump. but I can't get at it. it's on the outside right edge of the middle toe on my right foot. I'd have to hyper-extend my knee to get at it...

crosse79
02-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Hey Furry - first you gotta shave da toe first :D

Sorry - I kid. You'll probably need soneones's help to do it since you're unable to reach it.

yardbird mac
02-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Go see a Dr.

+1... You could end up with a case of cellulitis (in some cases can be fatal). If you start getting any flu like symptoms (fever, chills, joint pain, fatigue, nausea), inflammation (large red/purple - warm to the touch) areas on your leg above the entry site, don't mess around. Go get medical help immediately!!!

I got a case of cellulitis from a hairline open wound that was contaminated in a leaky boot while hiking in Maroon Bells, Colorado. 'Ended up spending 3 days in the hospital. NOT FUN!!!

spitshineguitars
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I always have luck squeezing the area around the splinter for a while. Then pulling it out with tweezers. THEN....have a damn beer!

Jiffy_Jeff
02-13-2010, 02:12 AM
No way, let it build pressure then dig the top off with the corner of a razor blade. Squeeze and watch it launch like sidewinder missile followed by a pus trail.

I was thinking....... Use a Dremel!