telecopter
02-12-2010, 04:27 AM
I'm addicted. Lots of cool things brought in the store....:phones

BlindLUCK
02-12-2010, 05:05 AM
yeah me too...good show man.

amigo30
02-12-2010, 05:18 AM
There is nothing about that show that should be appealing to me. Yet I watch it every time I'm flipping channels and it's on.

Now there's just one thing I need to know. What's up with that?

davebc
02-12-2010, 05:29 AM
I LOVE THE SHOW.
It's also a real wake up call for people who never understand the concept of "value".

Trandy
02-12-2010, 05:58 AM
I never miss it...it's a wake up call to many.

CharlieS
02-12-2010, 06:00 AM
I enjoy it, but reading how heavily scripted it is has taken away some of its luster for me. It's hard to tell how many are legit sales and how many are completely staged.

THebert
02-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Yep, I record each episode. You can learn stuff, too. Did you guys/gals see the mint 79 Les Paul std? It looked real neat to me.

mrkenny
02-12-2010, 06:19 AM
I enjoy it, but reading how heavily scripted it is has taken away some of its luster for me. It's hard to tell how many are legit sales and how many are completely staged.

I would guess that all of the transactions are scripted as well as staged. I find some of the items interesting and seeing some of the larger items after they have been restored. The reality show genre' is lost on me, maybe I'm just burned out. To me the ghost/spirit/haunting type shows REALLY seem silly.

humbuster
02-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Great show, although I think Rick pays too much for some things.

Old Man is great.

MOJO
02-12-2010, 06:36 AM
I watch it too

Randy
02-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Good show, although I can't stand Big Hoss.

ACfixer
02-12-2010, 06:52 AM
I like this thread, and I really want this thread in the forum... but I gotta know if it's the real deal. I have a friend that knows all about forum threads and I'd like to call him in to take a look at it before I make an offer...

Garygtr
02-12-2010, 07:21 AM
I like this thread, and I really want this thread in the forum... but I gotta know if it's the real deal. I have a friend that knows all about forum threads and I'd like to call him in to take a look at it before I make an offer...

:roll

I enjoy it too, I know it's staged, but still fun and sometimes informative. Like pro wrestling.

LSGoCards7
02-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Good show

CharlieS
02-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Good show, although I can't stand Big Hoss.

He's my least favorite. I like the old man, and Chumlee is growing on me.....like a fungus. He's funny in a simple-minded way.

The Kid
02-12-2010, 08:12 AM
It's entertaining. I wish they had more guitars & amps come through there though... :)

jrm
02-12-2010, 08:18 AM
I dig Pawn Stars. Another shwo I find similarly fun to watch is American Pickers. They jsut drive around and find people with tons and tons fo old antiques and stuff. Then they spend hours picking through their "collections" or junk piles and buying what they can. Kinda fun to watch!

Tonekat
02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
American Pickers seems to draw on two sources for "stuff":
1. Old guys who just collected a lot of stuff over the years, and;
2. Guys who inherited their parents house, didn't change anything, and just piled additional "stuff" on the existing "stuff" that was there.

Brock
02-12-2010, 08:58 AM
When they interview Rick about a item, there is sometimes a Les Paul with what looks like an ABR bridge. Sometimes it's there.... other times it isn't. Anyone else see it?

spectreman
02-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Fun show to watch and learn about random stuff of value...I like how they have an expert come in for everything!

I liked the portable electro-shock machine!

thewhit
02-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Fun show to watch and learn about random stuff of value...I like how they have an expert come in for everything!

I liked the portable electro-shock machine!

This ( expert on hand) aspect cracks me up. I'm thinking the town is not that big.

Oh look,,,,,, some guy brought in some fine examples of Elizabethan Cuticle Art. UHHHHHH Oh yeah there's the worlds most renown expert who happens to live down the street.

MudPies
02-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Lots of people with lots of knowlege live in and around Vegas. That's not too far fetched IMO.

Bobby D
02-12-2010, 09:37 AM
love it.

very interesting show.

spent many years of my life hanging around pawnshops, back before ebay and "american pickers" and this show

used to be some deals to be had.

now? you find something halfway interesting, ask the price, and someone begind the counter flips open a laptop, goes to ebay's completed auction listings, sees a similar model (but in much better condition and probably restored) for $500......and says "we'll take $450":rolleyes:

ldizzle
02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
One of the most addicting shows of alllll time.

demillso
02-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I dig Pawn Stars. Another shwo I find similarly fun to watch is American Pickers. They jsut drive around and find people with tons and tons fo old antiques and stuff. Then they spend hours picking through their "collections" or junk piles and buying what they can. Kinda fun to watch!

I dig this one too. Watched the first episode and liked it, then found out their shop is about 30 minutes from where I work. That guy with the carnival rides lives about 10 minutes from my house. It seems to make the show all the more interesting that they are finding all this cool stuff around here.

78deluxe
02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I enjoy it, but reading how heavily scripted it is .
Link?

captain_bob
02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
My thoughts exactly!

airwarrior
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
They get some facts wrong sometimes. I like American Pickers better.

I rarely watch the History Channel anymore though. It was much better 10 years ago.

blood5150
02-12-2010, 02:44 PM

I get some kind of "dirty" vibe from those guys... like they are looking to rip off someone who doesnt really know what they have in their possesion... and most of the towns they "pick" from are not very affluent.

just my opinion....

Love Pawn Stars though....

jrm
02-12-2010, 02:51 PM
I get some kind of "dirty" vibe from those guys... like they are looking to rip off someone who doesnt really know what they have in their possesion... and most of the towns they "pick" from are not very affluent.

just my opinion....

Love Pawn Stars though....

I could see that. That was my initial perception too... then I saw one where they were picking through stuff at a lady's house. She was telling them $5 for this , $10 for that. They told her that was too low and set their own prices of $25 and up on the same pieces. I thought that was pretty cool.

jcmark611
02-12-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't see American Pickers lasting more than the first season. The two "pickers" are annoying people. At the same time, it does seem a little weird the way they go about finding their items.

MudPies
02-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Pickers is pretty cool. I grew up with a distant neighbor who's back 40 was filled with 50 years of stuff. I'd love to go picking through there as an adult.

I figured TGP would love those guys. They like items that are relic'd.

CharlieS
02-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Link?

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32232&sid=28e10899ae9ad0f262827c89ebe224a7

MudPies
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Actually I suspect that alot of the experts they bring in for appraisals actually own the stuff they are appraising
Just check out this post about Pawn Stars that I found on a forum for guys that collect vintage gas pumps:

"speaking of entertainment...

I wrote Rick today...found him online and sent him this:

Hi -

Are you the same 'Rick's Restorations' that was on the History Channel show 'Pawn Stars' last night?

...and I got this reply:

To:
Subject: Re: Pawn Stars?
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 21:38:45 -0500

Yes

Thank you,
Rick Dale
Rick's Restorations - Everything old is new again!
(702) 655-5544

...so I sent him the following:

Hi Rick -

Wow...what a small world!

Hey, that was some Coca-Cola machine! I gotta tell you, it looked like a different machine when you were finished with it.

I mean that - it really looked like a different machine. It looks like you started with a trashed machine, maybe a Vendo?...and finished with a Cavalier. My buddies and I were trying to figure out how you got the embossed Coca-Cola logo to be smaller on the 'restored' machine than on the original. We all thought of the number of hours it would take to do all of that work (and how much it would cost), and we decided it would have been easier for you just to roll out a restored Cavalier, and pass that off as if you had transformed that rusty junk into another make/model Coke machine. That dope on Pawn Stars couldn't tell the difference, right?

Hey - I guess that's why you're on TV...

One more thing - that gas pump you restored for the Pawn Stars...funny, the man that sold that pump to you years ago is a friend of mine! (Small world, right?) Anyway, he was watching the show with his wife, and - in his words - he almost fell out of his chair when he saw that pump. His wife actually recognized it! I mean, what are the odds that a pump you bought got sold unrestored to someone, who just happened to bring it into that Pawn Shop - only for them to buy it and return it to you for restoration? They'd have to be astronomical!

If I didn't know better, I'd almost think the people bringing stuff into that cool pawn shop were bringing your stuff in there and just acting like it was their stuff. What a set-up that would be! The guys filming the show would get a plot, and you'd get a 30-minute commercial for your business on the History Channel. Heck, you could get your employees or friends to play the part of the 'seller' at the pawn shop - and you wouldn't even have to pay an actor!

But, hey - that would all be a big fraud, wouldn't it?"

Interesting

Guitar Slinger6
02-12-2010, 06:48 PM
http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32232&sid=28e10899ae9ad0f262827c89ebe224a7

I went and hung out an afternoon at Cowtown guitars, the guy who I dealt with was Jesse Amoroso. Really cool guy, let me hang out and play a '63 Strat for a couple of hours on several cool amps they had there. He showed me some really cool pedals they had while we discussed over drives.

jcmark611
02-12-2010, 06:52 PM
The guy who wrote that e-mail must be a real dick. It's TV, get over it.

CharlieS
02-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I don't get tweaking the guy with that email. I suppose if they film most things that get brought in, they're dealing with video games and a lot of junk--not very entertaining TV.

Moe Zambeek
02-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Since watching that show, I wonder how many deals they make that they lose their ass on that don't get shown?

PAF
02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I like the show but was amused the dope who brought in the cool Coach gun w/the bayonet valued by the "expert" at $10Gs 7 then decided he really wanted a guitar so accepted a boat anchor late 70s Norlin goldtop in trade straight across valued at like $4000 or somethin =P

newking70
02-12-2010, 07:22 PM
yea, just cause its old doesn't make it valuable. like this old lady who wanted big bucks for her old typewriters. :thud

airwarrior
02-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I don't get tweaking the guy with that email. I suppose if they film most things that get brought in, they're dealing with video games and a lot of junk--not very entertaining TV.

It's all for teh lulz

Wilson Effects
02-12-2010, 08:56 PM
watching it now!!

sodapopinski
02-13-2010, 03:45 AM
idk, each episode is the same now... i can't see this lasting for too much longer, there really isn't much suspense to be had...

scottlr
02-13-2010, 08:25 AM
I think it's funny. The Old Man cracks me up. Of course it's all BS. It's on TV. TV is all about BS these days. It entertains me, though.

It "should be" common knowledge that a pawn shop will pay no more than 1/2 what they think they can sell an item for. Knowing that, I'd never take a guitar or amp or any gear there. But I have sold a few stereo components at a local pawn shop. If they didn't buy them, they'd have gone to Goodwill. Cheap DVD player. Paid $60 they should be able to get $30, so I asked $15. That was $15 more than I had in my pocket, and an easy sale. Yes, I probably could have put it on CL and waited 2 weeks for someone to maybe buy it. Not worth it.

joeybsyc
02-13-2010, 09:14 AM
I like how it doesn't matter WHAT price anyone says they'd like to get for something, be it 10 bucks or 10 grand, they laugh at them like they are insane for asking such a rediculous price... Another thing that bugs me is that sometimes AFTER the "expert" comes in, verifies the item, and says its worth way more than either Rick or the seller estimated, they STILL sell it for peanuts. Maybe everyone in Vegas is an addicted gambler or something, but sometimes I think these people could sell their own crap for way more money on ebay. With that said, i still watch it every time it's on... and think it's a pretty entertaining tv show.

BR532
02-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Oh, never mind.

telecopter
02-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Anybody here from Vegas actually been in their store?

Cobra
02-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Every time I read the thread title, I can't help but think of dropped R's:
Pahn Stahs...
Like this:
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/jenna_jameson_10.jpg

Brian D
02-14-2010, 01:36 PM
...but sometimes I think these people could sell their own crap for way more money on ebay.I'd say that is true most of the time. This is one lesson to be learned from Pawn Stars.

davebc
02-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Every time I read the thread title, I can't help but think of dropped R's:
Pahn Stahs...
Like this:
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/jenna_jameson_10.jpg

Ain't it the truth! That's usually the reaction I get whenever I ask someone if they've seen the show.

btw, Does Jenna still look like that?

DonW
02-14-2010, 04:15 PM
I like the show, also like American Pickers & Operation Repo but when it's over I forget all about it. Reality TV is a fad that's lasted awhile. I now officially hate ESPN after many years of liking it but it's reality tv too.

eurotrashed
04-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I was watching this when a guy brought in a Gibson L-7. Rick acted like an expert and listed all these problems with the guitar and offered the guy $1000 for it. Then it was "restored" by a polish and new frets for $300. The cracks and such that Rick was all worried about were not issues. While I understand pawn shops are businesses, I really feel people can get ripped off real easily on the show.

I would really love it if someone took in a 59 Les Paul and acted as if they found it in their grandfathers attic and had no idea about it. See if Rick would actually get an expert, or actually know something about it, or just offer the guy $4000 for it or something.

Didn't some guy on here say they got an old 50s Gold top for a few hundred bucks at a pawn shop in the 90s because the pawn shop owner, a self professed expert, claimed that it was a copy and that all Les Pauls have pancake bodies like the Nolins?

Jahn
04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
going to vegas this weekend. gonna check this joint out!

SteveO
04-05-2010, 10:17 PM
going to vegas this weekend. gonna check this joint out!

I was in Vegas for a few days last week, thought about it but didn't go. I DID hit the Guitar Center there, though!

Somniferous
04-05-2010, 11:39 PM
The show is good, although I have no idea why the History Channel seems to play it all the time now. I really miss what the History Channel used to be before the "Reality" TV shows became popular (Discovery, TLC, MTV, and VH1 as well)

Brain2Me2
04-05-2010, 11:50 PM
I come in here with a clear mind, and first thing I see is a huge Jenna picture when she was hot....Now I can't think straight...Thanks Cobra :banana

Jiffy_Jeff
04-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Anybody here from Vegas actually been in their store?

Just got back from Vegas.

Picked up my Chumlee T-Shirt!!!

SSSWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTT!!!!!

Blue Fin
04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
I think the Old Man is a riot.

teefus
04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
couple of things, i watch the show and find it entertaining. the firearms and antique experts are pretty cool.
my wife wants to make a drinking game for when rick says "i have a buddy that is an expert, how about i call him in to take a look.....".
it's a business. they have to be able to sell the piece for more than they paid for it to keep operating.
let's face it, if you are selling something at a pawn shop you are setting yourself up to accept much less than top dollar. if you knew what it was worth or really wanted top dollar you would auction it or get it appraised on your own. the pawn shop gives cash.

ford
04-06-2010, 07:19 AM
I've never watched a full episode, but I can see the appeal.. I'll stop on it if it's on when I'm passing by..

neastguy
04-06-2010, 07:21 AM
pawn stars is starting to get on my nerves with how staged it all is.... american pickers I just don't get how they stay in business... the numbers really don't add up for all the traveling they do.. but then again.. I'm sure they are getting paid decent to do the show

ACfixer
04-06-2010, 07:27 AM
pawn stars is starting to get on my nerves with how staged it all is.... american pickers I just don't get how they stay in business... the numbers really don't add up for all the traveling they do.. but then again.. I'm sure they are getting paid decent to do the show

Boy ain't that the truth.

"Picked $60 - Value $100"

Big deal. Like I'm going to rummage through someone's junk and take a chance on needing a tetanus shot over $40.

teefus
04-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Like I'm going to rummage through someone's junk and take a chance on needing a tetanus shot over $40.

i have thought the same thing on several occasions.

Garygtr
04-06-2010, 08:06 AM
OK, on last night's episode (Pawn Stars), a guy came in with an awesome double flintlock with a flip out bayonet between the 2 barrels. The expert said it would fetch maybe 10k at auction. The seller has made it known he's selling to fund a guitar purchase. They haggle on the price, Rick is holding fast to 4K. Then Rick offers him a mint '78 LP as a straight trade, and the guy quickly accepts.
Is a Norlin LP, in any condition, worth $4k? Did this guy just get screwed? I honestly don't know, I'm not up on Norlin-era Gibson values.

flyingvees
04-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Yes he got screwed tenchincally, but remember he was hoping to get a few hundered dollars for it in the pre-interview....The best one was the guy with the original cobra body, he got paid!

redgold
04-06-2010, 08:25 AM
When they interview Rick about a item, there is sometimes a Les Paul with what looks like an ABR bridge. Sometimes it's there.... other times it isn't. Anyone else see it?

The one that gets me is there is often a blue sparkle dano behind Rick, but other times it changes to a different dano... why do they swap the guitars between interviews? It's weird.

Great show, funny characters and some cool stuff.

pj29
04-06-2010, 09:23 AM
I can't stand Pawn Stars anymore. It is so staged and it just plain feels wrong. I understand that it is a business and they are trying to make money, but for some reason it just seems like such a dishonest living. Their thrill is when they "got one over" on the seller and can get something that is worth thousands for a couple hundred. It just seems to pray on the lowest common feelings of need that people display, and I just can't take it.

As for Amerucan Pickers, I also don't get how they stay in business, but I like it. As apposed to Pawn Stars, I find their negotiations to be refreshing. They also are looking for a deal but it somehow doesn't feel slimey.

Garygtr
04-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Yes he got screwed tenchincally, but remember he was hoping to get a few hundered dollars for it in the pre-interview....The best one was the guy with the original cobra body, he got paid!

So he should have taken the 4K and gone over to Cowtown!

bigdaddy
04-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I can't stand Pawn Stars anymore. It is so staged and it just plain feels wrong. I understand that it is a business and they are trying to make money, but for some reason it just seems like such a dishonest living. Their thrill is when they "got one over" on the seller and can get something that is worth thousands for a couple hundred. It just seems to pray on the lowest common feelings of need that people display, and I just can't take it.

As for Amerucan Pickers, I also don't get how they stay in business, but I like it. As apposed to Pawn Stars, I find their negotiations to be refreshing. They also are looking for a deal but it somehow doesn't feel slimey.

I truly don't understand this way of thinking. Rick is very up front about helping people find out what they have. He could just as easily make the consultation with his expert buddy a closed conversation. That way he would have a leg up on the seller. He doesn't, he uses his connections to educate the seller (for free!) before the transaction takes place. The seller then has a good idea of the value of his item before he entertains Rick's offer. How could this possibly be more above board?

IMO, any salaried job is a "less honest" living than Rick's because a salaried employee gets paid regardless of the effect of their work on the bottom line.

The Pickers are actually a little more shady in their negotiation tactics. They will often offer more than the hoarder asks on an inexpensive item to set themselves up as "honest" traders.

I first tuned to American Pickers because I was hoping it would be a show about, you guessed it, Tele players...

jguitarnash
04-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Good show, but Rick and Co treats the customers badly IMHO. I know they have to make a profit, but they really are rude about it and just need an attitude adjustment. I like American Pickers a bit better.

silencer eleven
04-06-2010, 10:33 AM
American Pickers seems to draw on two sources for "stuff":
1. Old guys who just collected a lot of stuff over the years, and;
2. Guys who inherited their parents house, didn't change anything, and just piled additional "stuff" on the existing "stuff" that was there.

American Pickers is amazing!

jguitarnash
04-06-2010, 10:34 AM
OK, on last night's episode (Pawn Stars), a guy came in with an awesome double flintlock with a flip out bayonet between the 2 barrels. The expert said it would fetch maybe 10k at auction. The seller has made it known he's selling to fund a guitar purchase. They haggle on the price, Rick is holding fast to 4K. Then Rick offers him a mint '78 LP as a straight trade, and the guy quickly accepts.
Is a Norlin LP, in any condition, worth $4k? Did this guy just get screwed? I honestly don't know, I'm not up on Norlin-era Gibson values.

My buddy bought one (78) in wine red in good condition, and it was $2000 all original. I really think that guy who traded the gun for the guitar got screwed by several grand if not more than that. I couldn't believe he took that as an even trade. Heck, I would auction that gun off myself for say 6-7 grand versus that Les Paul.

He didn't even play it at all or plug it in (at least in the episode.)

Flinto2002
04-06-2010, 10:45 AM

I thought he got the $4K AND the LP. They offered him $4K in cash, but he was holding fast to his demand for 5K, so the guy goes wht if I throw in the cash and a guitar.... then the gun seller goes "well it would have to be better than a $50 squier" and then the broker pulls out the Norlin.

I actually thought the gun seller got a good deal, as it appeared they only valued the Norlin at $1K

Flinto2002
04-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Anybody watch Hoarders on A&E? The absolute worst thing that could happen is if a real hoarder gets wind of the the show 'Pickers'.... Then they'll all be convinced their heap of shit collection will one day make them wealthy.

jcmark611
04-06-2010, 10:58 AM
With American Pickers, I'd say we only see a very small amount of the stuff they buy. Looking on their website (http://www.antiquearcheology.com/buy.php) and they've got over $3,000 of stuff for sale right now. I'd also guess they have a very healthy network of antique stores and collectors they sale to.

jcmark611
04-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Anybody watch Hoarders on A&E? The absolute worst thing that could happen is if a real hoarder gets wind of the the show 'Pickers'.... Then they'll all be convinced their heap of shit collection will one day make them wealthy.

Hush you! One day my poster for Bill Cosby movie "Ghost Dad" is going to be worth thousands!

pj29
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I truly don't understand this way of thinking. Rick is very up front about helping people find out what they have. He could just as easily make the consultation with his expert buddy a closed conversation. That way he would have a leg up on the seller. He doesn't, he uses his connections to educate the seller (for free!) before the transaction takes place. The seller then has a good idea of the value of his item before he entertains Rick's offer. How could this possibly be more above board?

IMO, any salaried job is a "less honest" living than Rick's because a salaried employee gets paid regardless of the effect of their work on the bottom line.

The Pickers are actually a little more shady in their negotiation tactics. They will often offer more than the hoarder asks on an inexpensive item to set themselves up as "honest" traders.

I first tuned to American Pickers because I was hoping it would be a show about, you guessed it, Tele players...

I agree with most of what you said. It's just my overall "feel" from Pawnstars. It just feels slimey, FWIW. You are right, Rick appears to be up front in general with the expert knowledge, etc. I wonder how much of that knowledge is actually shared in real life deals? Probably not too much.

pete692
04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I hated these guys and refused to watch it for months, then over the summer during a marathon, I got hooked. Something about the way they produce and pace these shows just hypnotizes and relaxes my brain. Same thing happened with the Deadliest Catch. There's a new show now called American Pickers. The main characters are revolting at first, but I love the subject matter and locales so much that the show has started to entrench itself in my TV line-up as well.

Tonekat
04-06-2010, 11:10 AM
I don't think you can compare a pawn shop's pricing with the world that everyone on here is familiar with, people who patronize those places need money, and they need it now, and they are not all that familiar themselves with the stuff they bring in.

On a different note, did you see the episode that opens with some jerk getting in Rick's face insisting that his fake sculpture is authentic? That was the first time I saw their huge security guard, Antoine, striding down from his station near the door, his gun hanging in his belt. Don't mess with Antoine.

jrm
04-06-2010, 11:23 AM
I dug Pawn Stars when it first came on, but my wife and I enjoy watching American Pickers together. I think I might have mentioned it beofre in this thread, but the dudes from American Pickers seem to be like good fellas. They pay good prices (sure they're not going to pay retail, they gotta make some profit too) and they seem to treat their "clients" well.

A few episodes ago they paid $100 to buy a sign that they knew one of their clients would like. In last night's episode they showed up at this old guy's house (after being invited back) and gave it to him. I thought that was a cool gesture. Seemed pretty up and up to me.

I think one of the things I like the most is when they go find someone who is very reluctant to sell anything. After a while the person warms up and sells something... generally there is a look on the "client's" face that is almost one of relief... like a weight has been lifted off their shoulders to begin to finally free themselves from the stuff that dominates their life. Seeing a 98 year old man smile makes me happy... It may just be the way it is shot, but I find those guys quite respectful and personable.

airwarrior
04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I dug Pawn Stars when it first came on, but my wife and I enjoy watching American Pickers together. I think I might have mentioned it beofre in this thread, but the dudes from American Pickers seem to be like good fellas. They pay good prices (sure they're not going to pay retail, they gotta make some porfit too) and they seem to treat their "clients" well.

A few episodes ago they paid $100 to buy a sign tht they knew one of their clients would like. In last night's episode they showed up at this old guy's house (after being invited back) and gave it to him. I thought that was a cool gesture. Seemed pretty up and up to me.

I think one of the things I liek the most is when they go find someone who is very reluctant to sell anything. After a while the person warms up and sells something... generally there is a look on the "client's" face that is almost one of relief... like a weight has been lifted off their shoulders to begin to finally free themselves from the stuff that dominates their life. Seeing a 98 year old man smile makes me happy... It may jsut be the way it is shot, but I find those guys quite respectful and personable.

This, also, they know what the hell they are talking about when they discuss an item. The Pawn Stars guys rarely, if ever, do.

Just last night I watched one where a guy comes into the store with a 1777 Charleville (a fake, but irrelevant). Not only do they insist on calling it a rifle, but then the retarded "expert" calls it something that would have been used by Americans during the Revolution.

I hate that show.

DonW
04-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm not far from the pickers and plan to go there to snatch some cool stuff for a room when I'm done remodeling. I find the shows good harmless fun but I don't get all wrapped up in them.

Garygtr
04-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I thought he got the $4K AND the LP. They offered him $4K in cash, but he was holding fast to his demand for 5K, so the guy goes wht if I throw in the cash and a guitar.... then the gun seller goes "well it would have to be better than a $50 squier" and then the broker pulls out the Norlin.

I actually thought the gun seller got a good deal, as it appeared they only valued the Norlin at $1K

I'm pretty sure it was the gun for the guitar, straight up. At least that's the way it played out on camera. I would have to see it again, but that was the impression I got.

Garygtr
04-09-2010, 10:43 AM
For those that missed it here is the Les Paul Episode:

Start from 5:04 on Part 2... continue to Part 3:

Ah, I can't see Youtube here at work. So what's the verdict-did he get the guitar and $4K, or just the guitar?

scmavl
04-09-2010, 10:58 AM
I saw it for the second time last night. It was gun-for-guitar, no cash paid out. I think the seller probably could've gotten a few hundred to boot, but he seemed happy. He was only expecting a couple hundred bucks for the gun anyway so to leave with a somewhat vintage LP in good condition makes it a good day. :)

Blue Fin
04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Is Chumly really that dumb?

Garygtr
04-09-2010, 12:05 PM
It wasn't a 1960 after all, it was from the early to mid 70's. He was offered $2,000 and he turned it down.

Oh, different incident/episode, I didn't see that one but heard about it. I was talking about the guy that traded an antique gun for a '78 LP.

MudPies
04-09-2010, 12:06 PM
On that one he says "$4,000 in guitar". There was no cash exchanged, but if it wasn't a scripted setup (there is a rumor), the customer looked happy with the deal. That's all that really matters.

brlfq
04-09-2010, 12:07 PM
It's a PAWN shop. Pawn shops make money on loaning money. I had a buddy who was int he Pawn shop business for many years. I was surprised to learn from him that Pawn shops don't prefer to buy your stuff. They'd rather loan you $1000 on your 70's Les Paul. Then have you come back and pay off the loan in 2 months with . .. say a $200 profit! Then you bring your 70's Les Paul in a few months later, pawn it and pay it off again. A repeat pawn customer is the bread and butter of Pawn shops. Buying and selling are certainly a part of the business but the moneymaker is loaning money!

I enjoy the show but IRL Pawn shop operators are not going to ask an expert to come in and evaluate something in front of a customer. Pawn Stars' Rick seems to have every item evaluated by an expert before purchasing it!

BTW, has anyone seen them take anything in as a PAWN?

The conversations appear to be pieced together and somewhat scripted but that's OK, I like the show.

Garygtr
04-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I saw it for the second time last night. It was gun-for-guitar, no cash paid out. I think the seller probably could've gotten a few hundred to boot, but he seemed happy. He was only expecting a couple hundred bucks for the gun anyway so to leave with a somewhat vintage LP in good condition makes it a good day. :)

I still say $4k in hand and a trip to Cowtown would have been the way to go ;)

Tomo
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I never see the show yet.

Tomo

carrier street
04-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I never see the show yet.

Tomo

It's like antinques road show, but with more mouth breathing.

Bobby D
04-09-2010, 12:19 PM
the show is somewhat accurate as real life pawn.

of course HUNDREDS of boring transactions take place every day that DONT get filmed.....someone pawning their jewelry. it's boring TV.

we had a family owned place in tampa like that for 20 odd years....they were old arms collectors, TONS of vintage firearms, and the "old man" there was REALLY quite something, ex-Marine Gunnery Sgt....you think anyone f$%ked with him??? no.........if he said it, it was LAW :YinYang

they seem to be more fair than most real life pawn shops.....no pawn shop i have ever been to ever offered to "call in an expert". if they wanted something, they just made and offer, usually a really low one.

it DID make me LOL...that episode where they offered the guy $4k for that antique gun.......and he WENT FOR the '79 natural les paul.....without even playing it or plugging it in!

i would have taken the $4k and went to see Mark at Cowtown Guitars :band

MudPies
04-09-2010, 12:23 PM
of course HUNDREDS of boring transactions take place every day that DONT get filmed

Exactly.

jcmark611
04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
BTW, has anyone seen them take anything in as a PAWN?

They once pawned an 18 wheeler! I couldn't believe it either.

BTW: The show takes place in Vegas so, I don't think it's going to have the "typical" customer base. I'd say these people are a little more desperate for cash right now.

Flinx
04-10-2010, 12:40 AM
I like American Pickers better...Pawn Shops creep me out.

carrier street
04-10-2010, 12:48 AM
I worked in pawn shops for years until about six months ago. I understand why they have such bad reputations, but we tried really hard to break that. Clean, organized, and well lit (it's amazing how many small businesses ignore this) and treat everyone as well as possible. Those were our rules.

I always rationalized by explaining to people that we were Citibank for people who couldn't get credit anywhere else. The vast majority of the business was repeat loan business. Honestly though, it wears on you after a while.

whitehall
04-10-2010, 04:47 AM
If Rick were really that smart about everything under the sun, he would have a better job. And I love all the "experts" who all seem to appraise things for free and all happen to live in Vegas. But, hey, it's televison.

scmavl
04-13-2010, 06:17 AM
It's like antinques road show, but with more mouth breathing.

Hahaha!!!