PDA

View Full Version : Ariens snowblower. Wheels turn but no torque/power?

zekmoe
02-17-2010, 01:51 PM
I have an Ariens snowblower, about 7 years old, in good shape, but using it today, it seemed to not have any power at the drive wheels. If I life the back, the wheels turn, and change speed at the rate of the drive lever, but if I set it down, it stops and doesn't have power to push the blower. It works, and the snow throws, but it's basically a push unit, which sucks. What would I look for to make the power hit the wheels again? The cotter pins on the wheel axls are there and they don't spin freely..i.e. are attached. What would I look at, and is there a quick fix?
Thanks.

RCM78
02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Sounds like the belt is slipping. You probably need both belts replaced after 7 years.

mark norwine
02-17-2010, 02:04 PM
There's a drive wheel on the axle shaft that makes contact with the flywheel......it's all "in the box" under the engine.

If that drive wheel is worn (and after 7 years, I bet it is), you lose traction & go nowhere.

New belts & drive wheel every 2-3 years......you'll understand how much performance you're missing once you upgrade.

Cpt. Picard
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
^^^Yup.

Friction disc loses it's grip/wears away after a bit.

Quick survey says:
Most common Ariens disc #'s run between 9-21 dollars.
Most common Ariens belts run between 16-20 dollars.

Blindspot
02-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Ha! My Top -o-the-line Ariens Pro with about 6 hours of total use on it does that same thing, but it is intermittent.

I used my professional diagnosing skills to conclude it is suffering from 'junkiosity.'

The Golden Boy
02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
^^^Yup.

Friction disc loses it's grip/wears away after a bit.

Quick survey says:
Most common Ariens disc #'s run between 9-21 dollars.
Most common Ariens belts run between 16-20 dollars.

And I'm envisioning Capt. Picard from the Star Treks in his little Star Trek outfit behind the counter at a ma & pa hardware store talking about Ariens snowblower parts... With that accent.

"One Friction Disc... make it so"

Cpt. Picard
02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp12/russellgotmuscle/picardpoint-1.jpg

zekmoe
02-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Are these reasonably easy to replace for a non-moterhead, or do I have to disassemble the whole thing to get to the belts/disk? I have enough car based tools, but don't want to spend an afternoon or whole day on a $100 job.

doublee
02-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Sorry but its simply the drive cable has loosened, it just happened to me, you need only twirl/tighten the connection down by where it connects, I just did it yesterday, and you can hand tighten it.....wish I could describe better,

zekmoe
02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Sorry but its simply the drive cable has loosened, it just happened to me, you need only twirl/tighten the connection down by where it connects, I just did it yesterday, and you can hand tighten it.....wish I could describe better,

Any chance you could post a pic of where this is? Thanks.

Jon C
02-17-2010, 07:58 PM
not sure but my new Ariens compact "consumer" level blower has chewed its way through more than 57"+ of snow in Va. (including a 19" and a 25" snowfall) in its first season and hasn't hiccuped ... I usually figure 1-3 uses per season maybe, a total of 1-3 hrs., which is why I went w/ the consumer grade model ... we're at 10+ hrs. already!

Let us know what the fix turns out to be though, my dealer here suggested that w/ our usual conditions, I could do a full tune-up/check every 3 yrs. instead of annually w/ annual oil changes and checking belt clearances/tension, etc per the manual.

Good luck, Jon

Hendrix95
02-17-2010, 08:32 PM

This also happened to me recently. There should be something in your manual for "Traction Drive Clutch Adjustment" that should explain it. There's something just above where the cable connects to what it's pulling back on that you can turn to adjust the amount of tension if I can remember it correctly. You should check this out as it's an easy fix if this is the case.

mark norwine
02-17-2010, 08:35 PM

My diagnosis was based on the idea that the cable had already been checked.

Indeed, if it hasn't been checked, that's the first thing to verify

Jon C
02-17-2010, 08:58 PM
This also happened to me recently. There should be something in your manual for "Traction Drive Clutch Adjustment" that should explain it. There's something just above where the cable connects to what it's pulling back on that you can turn to adjust the amount of tension if I can remember it correctly. You should check this out as it's an easy fix if this is the case.

just checking, assume you mean checking the tension on the cable on the left hand side handle (the drive handle, as opp. to the chute augur handle on the right side) for correct tension/engagement (e.g., so the clutch is fully released when the handle is released)?

thx,
jc

Hendrix95
02-18-2010, 02:01 PM
just checking, assume you mean checking the tension on the cable on the left hand side handle (the drive handle, as opp. to the chute augur handle on the right side) for correct tension/engagement (e.g., so the clutch is fully released when the handle is released)?

thx,
jc

Yes that is correct.

mark norwine
02-18-2010, 02:13 PM
while running, reach down & give that cable a firm yank. Does the torque return? If so, just tighten up that cable.

That cable pulls the flywheel into contact with the drive wheel I mentioned in a previous post. Could be that your drive wheel is fine.....but the flywheel isn't being asked to make solid contact with it because the cable is not tight enough.