PDA

View Full Version : Crafting a Good Emporium Ad

Blindspot
02-22-2010, 10:34 AM
I was just thinking about how important the quality of an Emporium ad can be to getting your gear sold (or traded) successfully.

When I look at an Emporium ad as a BUYER, I hope to see a clear explanation of the item(s) for sale, accompanied by several very clear photographs of the item. I appreciate some history of ownership if available (i.e. I've had this for x years, bought it from TGP'r xxxx and am the third owner.) And also, especially with vintage stuff, a very clear description of originality, changed parts, modifications, and , when known, who worked on the guitar or amp.

What throws me off of ads are:

Messy ads
Too many items in one ad
Lack of details
Bad photographs (whatcha hidin'?)
Lots of acronyms, jargon and lingo that is very specific to a particular brand or builder that I may not be familiar with
Crazy pricing
Listed on eBay
etc.

Thoughts?

:munch

Dr. Tweedbucket
02-22-2010, 10:43 AM
4 sale

mesa boogie stilieto BR3WT4L midz

ebay listing www.eby/brewt4l/fizz/thintone/music/gear/mesa/br3wt4L/rox.com (http://www.eby/brewt4l/fizz/thintone/music/gear/mesa/br3wt4L/rox.com)

$1,700 to gr pagr or partle trade 4 jeep lol lol omg ! 1111!

Blue Fin
02-22-2010, 10:45 AM
What I'm selling is the "best ever".

Rattle&Hum
02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
You absolutely must express your regret of letting it go... but must qualify it by stating that you are A) financially required to make such a sacrifice or B) so overcome by another instrument of superior craft (if its even possible) that the available item is not getting the play time it "deserves"

Blindspot
02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
4 sale

mesa boogie stilieto BR3WT4L midz

ebay listing www.eby/brewt4l/fizz/thintone/music/gear/mesa/br3wt4L/rox.com (http://www.eby/brewt4l/fizz/thintone/music/gear/mesa/br3wt4L/rox.com)

$1,700 to gr pagr or partle trade 4 jeep lol lol omg ! 1111!

That's the one! :eeks

kbphx
02-22-2010, 11:00 AM
"...I'm keeping 7 other instruments that aren't nearly as good, but selling this one...which is the best I've ever played; I hand-picked this one after spending hours trying eleventy-three of them in the store...It was personally built by Les Paul and Ted McCarty in Jimmy Page's garage."

sunburstrat
02-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Rare Strat, you have to have it, I certainly dont want to let it go but I have eight of them and I am thinning my collection.

$1800 FIRM, if you offer less I am just going to raise the price and kill your firstborn child. You pay shipping and PayPal (5% for my trouble) and I dont take any other form of payment.

I dont have pics or references, you just have to take my word for it.

Blindspot
02-22-2010, 11:06 AM
My favorite - I'm selling my AWESOME Vintage Fender amp for $3,500 because I just got a Dr. Boutiquester ZX 100 that does the Blackface and Tweed tones perfectly with two channels and awesome reverb! (Off I go to Google the Dr. Boutiquester ZX 100! - gotta get me one, Only $999!)

MartinPiana
02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Yes, I just want to know if it is a superior example of the equipment in question. And if it's a cheap Chinese knock off, is it better than the real thing? Do you wish you didn't have to sell it? And if you're going to eBay if I don't buy quickly, let me know that too.

Blindspot
02-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Here is a link to 200 bad pics of the amp in question. Sorry the link doesn't work.

mahler
02-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Well ,I don't have a good camera, but always point to where scratches are and use the best of my abilities to make sure where cosmetic damage is!

atquinn
02-23-2010, 01:44 PM
As a buyer, I always appreciate it when the seller tells me the item is "priced to sell". That way I know the price is great and can pull the trigger right away.

-Austin

fuzz_factor
02-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Ads describing the seller's dire financial straits always put me off a little bit.

If you are so desperate that you're selling the vintage guitar that your beloved dead grandmother gave you as a child, you are probably also desperate enough to rip me off...

The other kind of ads that bother me are the "help me out bro" types. OK, so you just bought a guitar at the Guitar Center for $1,000, but now you need money. Why would I want to "help you out" by buying said guitar for $1,000 + shipping when I could easily get the same item for much less either used or by negotiating a bit. "Help me out" by charging a decent price for your used guitar.

Come to think of it, my complaints are probably better directed at Craigslist than TGP.