PDA

View Full Version : OK so I'm listening to some Derek Trucks...........(Jimmy Herring content)

OldSchool
02-26-2010, 11:11 PM
On my sirius FM. It was song called "kicking back" off of Out of the Madness.

Started off nice and slow, some very cool melodic lines........just sweet signature Derek . Then as the song progressed it just exploded with incredible Lead playing. No slide just super fast almost on the verge of sweep picking , over and over . I was like.........:eeks:confused: thats not Derek! So I did some research and found out that was no other then Jimmy Herring playing on that cut. Bought the album today. That guy is a Monster!! Love derek to death, Warren Haynes is on the disc as well. But Jimmy's playing is the highlight of that disc.

Who here has Jimmy's solo disc? Can he write great music as well or is he just a great hired fast gun? I have the Frog Wings disc as well , and its cool........but Nothing like he unleashed on that solo in "kicking Back". :bonk:bow

Fantasic tone on that one too. He's a PRS man correct?

GAT
02-26-2010, 11:13 PM
I love that CD, Herring and Trucks are magic together. Herring is great. His solo CD is very good too, but I like him more in the context of ARU and Trucks.

OldSchool
02-26-2010, 11:38 PM
I love that CD, Herring and Trucks are magic together. Herring is great. His solo CD is very good too, but I like him more in the context of ARU and Trucks.

Does he pull out solos like "Kickingback" on ARU ? I have Frog Wings and its a bit out there for me.......I think John Popper dominates that disc too much. I have to check out ARU. http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon14.gif

GAT
02-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Yeah, he is on fire on the ARU CDs. Also, the Colonel Bruce Hampton and ARU Live CD is killer as well.

StratManKudzu
02-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Herring has been touring with Widespread Panic recently too. Great musician with diverse playing styles. I've seen him playing modified strats with Panic in addition to his PRS guitars.

Tone Loco
02-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Yeah, he is on fire on the ARU CDs. Also, the Colonel Bruce Hampton and ARU Live CD is killer as well.
What other Trucks band records is Herring on?

BIGGERSTAFF
02-27-2010, 03:00 AM
I think his solo record is probably the most accessible of his recordings, and has some of his scariest playing too. He did some great stuff on the Endangered Species CD too(w/ T. Lavitz, Richie Hayward, and Kenny Gradney), that was more on the inside of his style too. Project Z is more diverse, and has some examples of his more outside styles. ARU which has been mentioned is also fantastic, as is Jazz is Dead, and Frogwings.

loofery
02-27-2010, 03:19 AM
fyZZ6xx1ROM

He really cranks it up around 3:45

If you liked that clip you can get that song here: http://www.archive.org/details/dtb2009-09-16.schoepsmk21

You can download loads of taped shows with Jimmy for free from archive.org - with Trucks, ARU, Codetalkers (probably my favorite) etc.

I like his solo album a lot but I'm into jazz and fusion, don't know if you find that accessible. Great tunes though.

ethomas1013
02-27-2010, 03:48 AM
Who here has Jimmy's solo disc? Can he write great music as well or is he just a great hired fast gun?

Jimmy's solo disc is great. Definitely some good tunes and great playing. Well worth picking up IMO.

aiq
02-27-2010, 06:12 AM
Jimmy played with Phil (Lesh) and Friends for several years as well. So special was this band that Phil Started to refer to it as the Quintet.

Not exactly jazz/fusion but some great gruop improv in the Dead tradtion.

Many, many downloads avaialble from eTree and the Archive.

AdamCook
02-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Jimmy's solo disc is one of my favorite instrumental guitar records of all time. Just incredibly complex and tasty at the same time. Tones are to die for. Some of the tunes are surprisingly straight ahead jazz...it is not all "fusion" or "jam band".

kokohi5
02-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Fantasic tone on that one too. He's a PRS man correct?

He played PRS a lot with Jazz Is Dead (also worth checking out if your into the Dead style but you don't want to have to listen to Phil Lesh "sing"), but Jimmy seems to always go back to his modded strat.
I've been lucky enough to meet Jimmy a couple of times and I think it's important to say how nice of a guy he is. He's incredibly humble and down to earth. Makes me appreciate his talent even more!

harmonicator
02-27-2010, 09:25 AM
One of my top 5 players for sure. That "shuffle picking" nonsense remains a mystery for the ages...so smooth!

the ones to get are 'mirrors of embarassment', and the self-titled live one he did with ARU.

Guitar55
02-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Where should I start with ARU?

B_of_H
02-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Aru put out a live disc that is fantastic. I'd start there.

Dexter.Sinister
02-27-2010, 10:40 AM
JH is a sweet soul and a talented player. I enjoy transcribing his pieces (especially the JID sessions).

I thought Project Z was interesting, too...

Wish he'd drop in here some time...we are so far from EVERYTHING...

DS

OldSchool
02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
fyZZ6xx1ROM

If you liked that clip you can get that song here: http://www.archive.org/details/dtb2009-09-16.schoepsmk21

You can download loads of taped shows with Jimmy for free from archive.org - with Trucks, ARU, Codetalkers (probably my favorite) etc.

I like his solo album a lot but I'm into jazz and fusion, don't know if you find that accessible. Great tunes though.

That kicked ass! Thanks for sharing! Time to start discovering Jimmy more even though he's been under my nose for quite a while!http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon14.gif

OldSchool
02-27-2010, 02:17 PM
JH is a sweet soul and a talented player. I enjoy transcribing his pieces (especially the JID sessions).

DS

Isn't it the truth? I grew up in NYC where I was at the center of it , to South Florida where you would be lucky to get something cool within a 3 hour radius. http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon9.gif

eoshreds
02-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Scapegoat Blues from Lifeboat is pretty amazing.

Brooks
02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Jazz Is Dead (also worth checking out if your into the Dead style but you don't want to listen to Phil Lesh "sing")

ha. yep. JID's "blue light rain" has some great stuff. the dead is like dylan or monk; i like the songs, but only when someone else does 'em.

to me, herring is like eric johnson or yngwie; amazing, but kinda too good. i prefer the seat of the pants jeff beck/wayne krantz chaotic vibe.

arthur rotfeld
02-27-2010, 07:35 PM
I haven't heard all that much from Jimmy, but what I have is great.

I just watched that clip loofery posted.....that's real good. I like it when a soulful-type player has some excellent chops. Very together.

Ed DeGenaro
02-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Scapegoat Blues from Lifeboat is pretty amazing.
Is it ever, I actually transcribed the hed for one of my students last week...

OogieBoogieMan
02-28-2010, 05:52 AM

DS

I dig Project Z as well

My favorite playing by Herring is on With A Little Help From Our Friends by Gov't Mule. Awesome stuff.

OldSchool
03-04-2010, 05:20 AM
I dig Project Z as well

My favorite playing by Herring is on With A Little Help From Our Friends by Gov't Mule. Awesome stuff.

he was on that as well? man......How did this guy float under my Radar for so long? :huh:JAMhttp://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon14.gif

tone4days
03-04-2010, 05:52 AM
cant recommend herring's lifeboat highly enough

really amazing disc

BadAssBill
03-04-2010, 06:03 AM
fyZZ6xx1ROM

I was at that show too. Probably the last 4 times I've seen Dereks band Jimmy has come out and played with them. I'd say it's more likely to happen than not at this point.

OldSchool
03-04-2010, 07:02 AM
cant recommend herring's lifeboat highly enough

really amazing disc

That disc is floating its way toward my home via Amazon.com as we speak.......http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon14.gif

Appriciate all the great info here!

flyingvees
03-04-2010, 08:11 AM
For me, ARU doing " How tights your drawers" is a Jimmy solo that encompasses his overall playing in a nice tight package. Bluesy, angular and just bad out mean Kung Fu...:bow

peacebone
03-04-2010, 08:36 AM
I transcribed most of Jimmy's solo from "Kick'n'Bach" waaay back in the day. What a trip it was just attempting to play that thing.

On the frogwings live disc, I'm pretty sure that Jimmy was using a Strat

OldSchool
03-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Lifeboat finally arrived yesterday. Jimmy is maybe The worlds best unknown guitar player since Danny Gatton is on the other side. http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon14.gif

SouthernShred
03-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Jimmy is my all time favorite...killer dude. I saw him in Atlanta this past May and stood maybe 5 feet from the stage...unbelievable performance.

I love "No Ego's Underwater" from ARU...I've been working "Scapegoat Blues" up to speed lately...man he just really twists his fingers around those angular string crossing licks doesn't he?