PDA

View Full Version : Fuzz Face and Rangemaster Circuit In One Pedal

Captain Zero
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Fuzz Face and Rangemaster in one pedal.

Anything like this, besides the Sunlion, exist?

Ideally this is what I want. I'm sure something this detailed will venture into the custom, or DIY realm. Anyways, here it goes. A Ge FF circuit, with a Rangemaster circuit that is switchable (FF-->RM or RM-->FF). The Rangemaster circuit would have the option of being Ge, or Si. Kind of like PCE's Ranger and Tone Master.

So any info on a pedal like this, or a company that does custom work, would be greatly appreciated. I know PCE does custom pedals. Not sure if what I'm looking for could be done or not. I know that I could just buy a FF and RM seperately, but I'd like it to be in one box. Simplify things for gigs.

Thanks in advance guys! :wave

j4j
03-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Hey,

I'm actually building pretty much exactly what you described right now.

It's a Fuzz Face with NPN germanium transistors, and a Rangemaster with an NPN germanium. I'm putting a switch in to change the order, and the FF will have tone and bias knobs along with fuzz and volume. The battery will have a switch to turn it off, and the tone control will have a bypass switch too.

j4j

macca
03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.phoenixcustomelectronics.com/uploaded_images/SDF1-761976.JPG

looks like PCE does do what you are asking for . . . at least the combo part, not sure about all that switching . .. probably worth contacting him, I think his booster pedals sound very good (I haven't tried his Fuzz Face)

Captain Zero
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
j4j, you should make a post about your build.

macca, the last paragraph in my op, mentions PCE. I've emailed them this morning. I've had great experiences with PCE in the past. A great company to deal with.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

zep41
03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Not to act like what you are looking for isnt a great thing -- I have a Sunlion and its the best pedal I have ever owned..... but what is the big deal if the overall effect is in one pedal or two?? I mean it sucks that AnalogMike doesnt make these Sunlions any more, but why not just get a Fuzz Face and a Beano? That's exactly what the Sunlion is --- if its one or two pedals, there is no difference. You will get the same tones and the same capabilites.

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy here, and I am sure you understand my point -- but I'm just asking what the big deal is. I hear people all the time saying "oh I wish the sunlion was still available..." and the answer is IT IS. Just in two different pedals.

chemical69
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Not to act like what you are looking for isnt a great thing -- I have a Sunlion and its the best pedal I have ever owned..... but what is the big deal if the overall effect is in one pedal or two?? I mean it sucks that AnalogMike doesnt make these Sunlions any more, but why not just get a Fuzz Face and a Beano? That's exactly what the Sunlion is --- if its one or two pedals, there is no difference. You will get the same tones and the same capabilites.

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy here, and I am sure you understand my point -- but I'm just asking what the big deal is. I hear people all the time saying "oh I wish the sunlion was still available..." and the answer is IT IS. Just in two different pedals.

Maybe you only have one power supply tap left? That's one reason why people need a 2-in-1 box.

Captain Zero
03-05-2010, 03:31 PM

I have a few FF pedals and 2 RM pedals already. 2 reasons to why I want this.
1st reason, to simplify things. I know that it is only two pedals and a patch cable. A 2 in 1 pedal is just easier to grab and go.
2nd reason, not to sound like a jerk. I have the money and I want it. Simple as that.

coreybox
03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Maybe you only have one power supply tap left? That's one reason why people need a 2-in-1 box.

Having two circuits in one box is no different than daisy-chaining two boxes together.

oxfuzz
03-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I can`t say.

coreybox
03-05-2010, 03:34 PM
You could contact: www.retroman-music.com

He makes a pedal similar to what you are asking, but with a Si and Ge fuzz... the Sybil. It has the routing capabilities you are seeking.

He also makes a rangermaster clone. I'm sure he could substitute the beano for one of the fuzz sizes.

Philly Fuzz
03-05-2010, 03:37 PM
I can`t say.

hmmm... does ken have something up his sleeve perhaps?? :eeks

abnerfm
03-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Treble Booster into a fuzz face is ear-piercing.

Jack DeVille
03-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I built two units a while back in this configuration. Added a treble/full-range selector for the RM side.
It was a hip stompbox.

Here are pictures of one of the two:

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz311/jackdevilleelectronics/vtb1.jpg
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz311/jackdevilleelectronics/vtb2.jpg

bandofthieves™
03-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Y cable runs about $10 :idea

marvelboy_04
03-05-2010, 05:00 PM
im sure jhs pedals could do this

j4j
03-05-2010, 05:44 PM
j4j, you should make a post about your build.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

I'll post some pic's of it as I build it.

j4j

candletears7
03-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I have a bunch of pedals I need to finish for a few peeps, but the other day I ran one of my Rangemaster clones into a Silicon Fuzz Face clone, and I loved it. I will be exploring this option with a flipper switch to place Rangemaster before and after the fuzz, and with switchable fuzz transistors between Germanium and Silicon. These 2 options are why it is worth having in one pedal, but you do need common ground for both circuits, or at least the same polarity.
If people are happy to wait about a month or so I can post my progress with this circuit. IMHO it gave something a little different to a Tonebender, like a modern less garage-y sounding Tonebender. Mind you, Garage-y is very cool too! :)

Skreddy
03-05-2010, 07:17 PM
I did one too. Was, as it turned out, merely a step in my research & development of the Screw Driver. The proto:
http://skreddypedals.com/circuits/ScrewDriver/FuzzBoost.jpg

candletears7
03-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Cool proto, Skreddster!

I like how you got the jacks down south there. Does this proto not use the BS170/BC109/AC128 trio? If not, what made you decide on those final three, as opposed to say an OC44/OC75 into a pair of BC109's, or was it the Mosfet boost into a hybrid Ge/Si tranny pairing that led you to the final Screwdriver layout? The OC44 into 2 BC109's gives this insane amount of pregain into a real gritty fuzz, almost like a metal/hardcore fuzz tone that can be palm muted like a mofo with great sustain - maybe the Mustaine Sustain???
I'm building a clone of your Deluxe (not for profit, purely cos I can't wait 5 months!), and I'd love to know why you chose those 2 cap values in your pedal to be tropical fishies - does that component type just best there in the circuit?
And props on your killer pedals man!

Captain Zero
03-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks again for all of the input guys!