PDA

View Full Version : if you play slide this is a must have........

TRIODEROB
03-08-2010, 02:57 PM
so I waited several months but it was worth it.

a leaded crystal slide from England ~!

These blow away any pyrex, wine bottle or brass slide I have ever tried.

and you can order it custom to your hand - read the details.

I am not connected to them in any way , just telling you about a great product.......

check them out:

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/DB08/index.asp?n=13

D.G.
03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Yup, I'm a big fan of the diamond bottlenecks tonebars for my steel guitars.

sinner
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I tried one out the last time I was up at Lenny's Vintage Nationals in Santa Barbara, very nice!

He's got a good supply and plenty of info on choosing the best slide for you:

http://www.nationalguitar.com/national_guitar_accessories_slides/

pbradt
03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I lose them too often to spend $38 for one.

Dunlop 213s are right for me.

bluesjuke
03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I just might have to check one out.

Took a drawer out of my computer desk recently and while rummaging through it above the tile floor was suddenly and rudely reminded that all of a sudden I needed a new one.

bynt
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I just might have to check one out.

Took a drawer out of my computer desk recently and while rummaging through it above the tile floor was suddenly and rudely reminded that all of a sudden I needed a new one.

That sucks. Been there. Thanks to the OP, I'll have to check that out.

TRIODEROB
03-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I lose them too often to spend $38 for one.

Dunlop 213s are right for me.

thats pyrex -

this is leaded crystal

(night and day better on the tone - not even close)

remember bob brozman has had his same slide for 30 years!

(look at that photo- what a badass !)

http://www.miltontheatre.com.au/photospage/images/Bob-Brozman-2.jpg

Crazyquilt
03-08-2010, 08:53 PM
I keep meaning to order one. I'm just sure I'll either lose or break it. And I do love the tone of my Latch Lake Acoustiglide, which is (nearly indestructible) brass.

But someday...

doublee
03-08-2010, 08:58 PM
I read that Lowell used a Sears socket wrench type of thing....may want to look into that...

walterw
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM

i've been eying these for a while; in what way are they better than generic dunlop glass? (besides the custom-fit thing, which is way cool.)

slider
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
My brass slide will still be here, unchanged, long after i'm bone dust.

Whiskeyrebel
03-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I read that Lowell used a Sears socket wrench type of thing....may want to look into that...
I'll 2nd that. Sustain like a Shubb lapsteel bar. The weight takes getting used to though.

cbpickin
03-08-2010, 09:10 PM

I am not connected to them in any way , just telling you about a great product.......

check them out:

I've looked at these before. I can never decide on options. Which model did you end up going with? I'm currently using a blown glass slide with a thicker open tip.

Ransome
03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
I might add Ian is a great guy. I've had my Evolution (http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/DB08/index.asp?n=16) for years. The lead crystal side is like butter compared to any other "glass" type slide.

One thing I wish he would make a brass Evo. He and I have talked about this, but it's never come to light.

Carbohydrates
03-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd be pretty scared with one of those. I just use a brass one these days - I once dropped (and consequently smashed against the concrete) two glass slides in one band practice!

mtndog
03-08-2010, 11:50 PM
I'll 2nd that. Sustain like a Shubb lapsteel bar. The weight takes getting used to though.

in addition to the weight, I found that when I was trying one for awhile, it got rusty inside, so you might consider a means to counteract that. Did give a might fine tone......

JPF
03-09-2010, 01:41 AM
That looks like quite a different animal from my Duane-era Coracidin bottles. I think I'm going to have to order one - thanks for the link!

kimock
03-09-2010, 05:36 AM
i've been eying these for a while; in what way are they better than generic dunlop glass? (besides the custom-fit thing, which is way cool.)

You would have to compare them yourself, but it's the same thing as the difference between a real tortoise shell pick and a Fender heavy basically.
A material issue mostly.
If you enjoy playing bottleneck on electric and acoustic, and all you've ever used is pyrex, you should treat yourself to the difference. It's pretty dramatic.

I don't own/use a Diamond, I have some misc. uranium glass thing that somebody gave me, but it's basically the same deal compared to the pyrex.

Re: fit, the Dunlop number system for size is a pretty loose system.
You'll see a lot of variation in every dimension for the same number, so if you do find a Dunlop you like, you're going to have to search thru a bunch to find another that has the identical size.

A higher quality material with a consistent fit for a little more money is probably a good deal if you've got some skin in the game.

vintage66
03-09-2010, 06:20 AM
The bottleneck ones are only $12, which is a bargain since they sand down the seams and make the cut so smooth. The seams are the biggest pita with bottlenecks-hard to find a bottle that doesn't have one on each side that you have to avoid touching the strings.

I have a lead crystal (I think) slide from Silica Slides, which is very nice and is tapered inside. I'd like to try one or two Diamonds though. None of my slides actually stay on my finger when I point it toward the ground, which would be nice, but I only put them on up to the second knuckle, so that's hard to find. The Silica is almost there, but the taper starts just a bit too far up to make it stay on.

mannish
03-09-2010, 08:17 AM
I prefer a Craftsman deep well socket.....

ABKB
03-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Sigh, just take my checkbook. :messedup Gotta get one of just to try it :mad:

TravisE
03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I have a lead crystal (I think) slide from Silica Slides, which is very nice and is tapered inside. I'd like to try one or two Diamonds though. None of my slides actually stay on my finger when I point it toward the ground, which would be nice, but I only put them on up to the second knuckle, so that's hard to find. The Silica is almost there, but the taper starts just a bit too far up to make it stay on.

I'm pretty sure Silica Slides are pyrex. Though I love the fit, I don't care for the sound of Silica Slides. Mr. B's bottle-necks sound way better, IMO.

blues junkie
03-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Just think how better Derek Trucks would play & sound if he would quit using those shitty Coracidin bottles.

OM Flyer
03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I have a bottleneck from Diamond Slides, and it's awesome. Great guys to deal with - fast shipping and plenty of communication.

pbradt
03-09-2010, 11:39 AM
thats pyrex -

this is leaded crystal

(night and day better on the tone - not even close)

remember bob brozman has had his same slide for 30 years!

I ain't him. I lose slides. If I lose a $6 slide, ehh, I have more. If I lose a $40 slide, I'm going to be pissed. I'm pissed too much as it is.

I have been playing pyrex glass slides since I began playing slide and not a single person, including some pretty damned good sliders (Lee Roy, Sonny, Rob McNelley) have EVER told me "dude, that pyrex just sounds like crap, you need leaded crystal slides.

I've heard about cork-sniffing regarding a lot of things, but just like no guitar or amp is worth more than $1000 to me, no matter the brand name, no slide is worth more than about six bucks to me. That's what I get 213s for.

I'll keep it simple, thanks.

TRIODEROB
03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
here is the deal:

yes - there are great slide players who can make good music with anything but here is my tone report anyway:

pyrex slides are on the bottom for tone

from there you move to glass

the next step up is "limed glass " as found with old italian wine bottles
(very heavy and very deep green or sometimes a wonderful cobalt blue)

the final step up is leaded crystal as found on the diamond slide -
it has a huge tone and the high end rings like a bell !

what about brass, sockets etc ???

they are a whole other animal.

for electric guitar they are fine if that is the tone (aka johney winter)
that you are looking for - on heavy stringed guitars like a steel body national - I hate them -the glass blows the metal slides out of the water.

with the diamound slides you should go to nationalguitar.com and see
the videos on how to size and order them. there again I have no
connection with anyone here in any way.

its just that if you like to play slide this is a GREAT product.

Scott Auld
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I buy a bottle of wine once maybe every two months or so. I have a hacksaw and a vise and sandpaper.

I admit I pick wines based on the neck of the bottle.

S

vintage66
03-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Just think how better Derek Trucks would play & sound if he would quit using those shitty Coracidin bottles.

He uses Dunlop Blues Bottles, which are pyrex. I actually have a couple and they are my favorite corricidin type slides (got them before I found out he used them). Too bad I can't play like him.

vintage66
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Silica Slides are pyrex. Though I love the fit, I don't care for the sound of Silica Slides. Mr. B's bottle-necks sound way better, IMO.

Silica Sound's website says handblown glass. Personally, I like dark green winebottlenecks the best-never tried Mr. B's, maybe I will sometime.

Bluzeboy
03-09-2010, 12:32 PM
on heavy stringed guitars like a steel body national - I hate them -the glass blows the metal slides out of the water.

I can understand your passion however; as you know it's all personal preference. Metal slides were just fine for Son, Bukka, and a host of others playing nationals.

pbradt
03-09-2010, 12:32 PM
pyrex slides are on the bottom for tone

Says who? You? That's a subjective topic don't ya think?

Virtual Pariah
03-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I buy a bottle of wine once maybe every two months or so. I have a hacksaw and a vise and sandpaper.

S

That's about what I was thinking.
I have a Dremmel too and could I use that to buff out the rough spots?

What about if you have some old bottles from Sao Miguel? I have a bunch of empties from the 20's that came over with the grands.

TRIODEROB
03-09-2010, 12:43 PM
if you look at the diamond slide page - you will notice that
they use a old school wet diamond sander- hence the name.

the finsih is very different on these slides form a normal glass slide
that is home made - and sanded with sandpaper.

hard to explain but when you have it in your hand its very noticable.

back to the subject of metal slides.

there again if you like the raspy son house or bukka tone
by all means get a brass or chrome slide.

if you like the sweeter bob bozman tone for sure go with a heavy limed
glass or crystal slide..........................:beer

vintage66
03-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Exactly, like I said above, Derek Trucks uses pyrex. Best slide tone I've ever heard (in person). If I'd ever seen Duane live, my opinion might change.

TRIODEROB
03-09-2010, 12:47 PM

have you ever used a glass slide that was made with heavy "limed glass "
as found on an old italian wine bottle ?

vintage66
03-09-2010, 12:48 PM

S

How does that come out using a hacksaw? I use a glasscutter and a candle and when they break clean, which I usually get 2 out of 3 to be usable, 1 out of 3 to be great, they actually break very clean with very little sanding to do. I guess Diamond has the wet saw which would be ideal and the sanding tools to buff it to a fine finish-I've never gotten mine as smooth as, say, Delta Sliders, which are very nicely cut and finished, but usually it actually comes out with the cut being shiny and slick with only the edges needing to be sanded for smoothness.

TRIODEROB
03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Exactly, like I said above, Derek Trucks uses pyrex. Best slide tone I've ever heard (in person). If I'd ever seen Duane live, my opinion might change.

alot of his tone is do with his special fender super amp that "lord valve " fixed up for him - not the slide.

I have stood right next to him watching him play and have talked to his tech

(and his great playing of course .............)

vintage66
03-09-2010, 12:53 PM
alot of his tone is do to his special fender super amp that "lord valve " fixed up for him - not the slide.

I have stood right next to him watching him play and have talked to his tech

(and his great playing of course .............)

Of course, and he also uses the thick walled version so it's not as thin as a lot of bottles. A lot of it is his amp and of course, his feel. Generally, I agree that thin pyrex does not equal a good sound, especially with acoustics. I think it matters less with electrics.

pbradt
03-09-2010, 12:55 PM

No, and I'm not willing to fork out $40 to find out. This might be the worst example of "cork sniffing" I've ever read here.

If it's good enough for Lee Roy, it's good enough for me.

U8c05PEBdrQ

Nuthin wrong with that there tone, Bucky.

Bluzeboy
03-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Yes I have. Over the last too many years to count I have used damn near everything at one time or another and I gotta tell ya. Playing my National via the PA or my LP via the amp>PA people 3 ft away could care less what slide I'm using and it all sounds the same to them as long as I'm playing well.

mannish
03-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I am totally the opposite in regards to playing steel bodied national - I strongly prefer metal (socket) for me metal blows glass away on national.

for electric guitar they are fine if that is the tone (aka johney winter)
that you are looking for - on heavy stringed guitars like a steel body national - I hate them -the glass blows the metal slides out of the water.

TRIODEROB
03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
No, and I'm not willing to fork out $40 to find out. This might be the worst example of "cork sniffing" I've ever read here.

come on now....

there are threads about $10,000 les paul copies here on TGP

we are talking about a $30 item in this thread :messedup

pbradt
03-09-2010, 01:15 PM
come on now....

there are threads about $10,000 les paul copies here on TGP

we are talking about a $30 item in this thread :messedup

Hmm, didn't read for content, I see.

I place arbitrary values on things I use, which may or may not have any basis in reality but if they don't, then I do without.

No guitar is worth more than $1000 to me. Not even Bill Hullet's (now Nacho Banos') old 0514.

No amp is worth more than $1000 to me, not even Tag's Dumble.

And so it goes...no slide is worth more than $6 to me. I notice you didn't have anything bad to say about Mistah Parnell's tone. He uses the same slide I do.

And so it goes...

TRIODEROB
03-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Hmm, didn't read for content, I see.

I place arbitrary values on things I use, which may or may not have any basis in reality but if they don't, then I do without.

No guitar is worth more than $1000 to me. Not even Bill Hullet's (now Nacho Banos') old 0514.

No amp is worth more than $1000 to me, not even Tag's Dumble.

And so it goes...no slide is worth more than $6 to me. I notice you didn't have anything bad to say about Mistah Parnell's tone. He uses the same slide I do.

And so it goes...

i dont know......0514 is pretty sweet

pbradt
03-09-2010, 01:36 PM
i dont know......0514 is pretty sweet

I've played it and I like my CIJ Tele better. It's not as valuable, but for me, there is no Tele on earth that could replace it. The Ron Ellis pickups help a lot as do the Glendale saddles.

wsaraceni
03-09-2010, 01:44 PM
i have two diamond bottlenecks. not sure which ones they are. but i just sound SOOOO bad with them

kimock
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM

That's ok, plenty of folks get through life with no reality at all.

And so it goes...No, he uses the same slide I do, and I use that same slide for exactly the same generic rock effect. Nothing wrong with pyrex on a standard set up, light strings, gain etc. You could do just as well if not better with a lightweight ceramic with a good finish, but you'll just have to take my word for it until you find one laying in the parking lot while you're waiting for the liquor store to open.

pbradt
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I use pyrex on a dedicated slide setup, .013-.056 strings. Sings sweet to me.

stevieboy
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I have several different slides. I like them all, on different guitars, sometimes at different times on the same guitar. I wouldn't mind giving the diamonds a try, if they had them at a store near me I probably would have by now. I'd probably like them, but I don't think they would make me stop liking the other ones I have.

Oh wait, they do have them at Vintage Nationals, which isn't too far and I go that way from time to time. Been wanting to drop by there anyway. I'll have a look one of these days I guess.

playon
03-09-2010, 06:29 PM
For acoustic guitar playing it is indeed a bit more critical to have nice heavy glass for a slide, but real bottlenecks work fine for me. I find that when playing electric it's more about the right string guage -- and having plenty of gain, especially if you are in standard tuning.

I'm in the $40 is too much to pay camp... I'm sure they are great but I won't pay that kind of money for something that is too easy to break or lose. If you are a guy that never goes out with it and keeps it in a drawer then maybe it makes sense. I broke my favorite glass slide on a gig awhile ago, fortunately I can make another one from a wine bottle. In fact for $40 I could get a really decent bottle of wine, or two.

Ry Cooder prefers a clear glass neck from a certain whiskey bottle.

D.G.
03-09-2010, 06:34 PM
$35 is cheap for a tone bar. I don't play bottle neck, so that doesn't really matter to me, but as a tone bar I really like the wide diameter (easier for big hands to hold) and they make slants really easy. Every time I pickup up one of my Shubbs or other tone bars I quickly go back to the feel and tone of the lead crystal.

vintage66
03-09-2010, 09:19 PM
For acoustic guitar playing it is indeed a bit more critical to have nice heavy glass for a slide, but real bottlenecks work fine for me. I find that when playing electric it's more about the right string guage -- and having plenty of gain, especially if you are in standard tuning.

I'm in the $40 is too much to pay camp... I'm sure they are great but I won't pay that kind of money for something that is too easy to break or lose. If you are a guy that never goes out with it and keeps it in a drawer then maybe it makes sense. I broke my favorite glass slide on a gig awhile ago, fortunately I can make another one from a wine bottle. In fact for $40 I could get a really decent bottle of wine, or two.

Ry Cooder prefers a clear glass neck from a certain whiskey bottle.

Sucks that you lost your favorite one-I have a few that never leave the house because they're glass. With wine-bottlenecks, I have 2 that I bought that are really great and 2 that I made that are better than all the rest I've made so I keep them at home and use one of the better ones out of what I made ususally. Maybe if I new the stage was wood instead of concrete I'd take a nice one.

sharpshooter
03-09-2010, 09:44 PM
The price is kinda steep,though leaded glass is certainly not cheap.
However, I do prefer slides that are made out of a material that is softer then the strings, this allows the slide to have a "grip" on the strings, that glass, chrome, etc., can't get,,,they're to "slippery" for me.

vintage66
03-09-2010, 10:54 PM
The price is kinda steep,though leaded glass is certainly not cheap.
However, I do prefer slides that are made out of a material that is softer then the strings, this allows the slide to have a "grip" on the strings, that glass, chrome, etc., can't get,,,they're to "slippery" for me.

So, brass? Ceramic? Tin cans? I wish I could make a good slide out of beer bottles-they're just not shaped right and the glass it usually thin, but I'd have an endless supply. I don't drink wine so I'm at the mercy of wine drinkers to donate their empties. If I ever do buy wine though, I look funny at the store checking out all the bottles for the right shape. Box wines make terrible slides btw.

SkydogFan81
03-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Really digging mine!

playon
03-22-2010, 01:46 AM
So, brass? Ceramic? Tin cans? I wish I could make a good slide out of beer bottles-they're just not shaped right and the glass it usually thin, but I'd have an endless supply. I don't drink wine so I'm at the mercy of wine drinkers to donate their empties. If I ever do buy wine though, I look funny at the store checking out all the bottles for the right shape. Box wines make terrible slides btw.

Check your local restaurant or bar, I'm sure they'd be happy to supply you.

TomStrat
05-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I actually ordered on of these back in March from Vintage Nationals, they were back ordered on the one i wanted, then it finally shipped on 3/31 but i never received it. I had a few emails back and forth with them, they told me they'd send another one when their next shipment came in and to this day i still haven't received anything. April 17th is the last i heard from them when they said " big shipment coming any day"... I finally asked for a paypal refund today.

TomStrat
05-24-2010, 06:39 PM
They offered to send me one right away when i asked for a refund so i said "sure". just recieved it today and it is a VERY nice slide. Thanks again Lenny

Hecube
05-24-2010, 08:07 PM

check them out:

I read crystal lattice slide... :horse

sharpshooter
05-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Oh,,wow,, this thread came back,,. To answer your question Vintage66, the slide I use, that is not too slippery, is made of bronze, not brass.
Bronze contains a much higher proportion of copper than brass does, and that makes the metal softer. But to get one of real bronze, you'll have to get the material, and make-it yourself. It can/could be a chore to do that though, as real bronze is not an easy material to source.
I suppose it really does'nt matter what one uses, to get the sound they want,,, I'am just picky about things like that.

cherrick
05-24-2010, 09:10 PM
You know those old blues guys? The ones who pioneered slide guitar? The tones, style, note placement, empty spaces deliberately left for effect. The tasteful zing of their playing, coming at a time when no one had ever even thought of slide guitar, and yet all of a sudden there were tens of these virtuosos arriving from the Mississippi Delta in places like Chicago, playing the slide blues.

Do you want to guess how many of them were playing leaded crystal slides?

Yep. That's right. None of them.

Hope that helps.

vintage66
05-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Oh,,wow,, this thread came back,,. To answer your question Vintage66, the slide I use, that is not too slippery, is made of bronze, not brass.
Bronze contains a much higher proportion of copper than brass does, and that makes the metal softer. But to get one of real bronze, you'll have to get the material, and make-it yourself. It can/could be a chore to do that though, as real bronze is not an easy material to source.
I suppose it really does'nt matter what one uses, to get the sound they want,,, I'am just picky about things like that.

Interesting-so no one makes a bronze slide? I do have a brass one that's pretty nice-my favorite metal slide. I don't like chrome-too bright.

sharpshooter
05-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah,, as far as I know, no one makes slides out of real bronze. What we call "brass", is an alloy that contains ~25>40% zinc,, many of the "so called" bronzes also contain a lot of zinc, but the good stuff contains very little, (single digit percentage), so is around 90>95% copper, with just a little bit of other metals to give strength, machinability, etc.
I tried to get some good stuff a few years ago, but they only wanted to sell me a 10ft. length, and that would have to be a special order.

funkmaster
05-24-2010, 09:57 PM
$40?

I like my dunlop brass slide enough.........

Diamond
06-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Hi Guys!

Thanks for your most kind words & support of our sliding glassware ~ very much appreciated :)

Bronze slides are available from my good friend Lu Tatum at Big Heart Slides (www.bigheartslide.com (http://www.bigheartslide.com)) ~ his "Bronze Bomber" is a truly stunning piece of kit - but you'll require fingers like Popeye to use one...HEAVY!!!

In responce to earlier posts here, and with much respect, our leaded crystal 'Ultimate' slides are $44.00 with all shipping & packing costs to the U.S. from here in the U.K. included - and much of that price is for the work we do here in our shop. We purchase custom-order crystal tubes from three of the U.K.'s top glassblowers based in different areas of our country (we don't blow the glass in our shop ~ we just finish the 'raw' tubes upon arrival) and we need to take into account their own labor & materials costs, plus packing & shipping from their studio's to our workshop - then take into account our own labor & materials costs.....it all adds up!

....my own personal slide preference for a few years now is for three completely different materials to obtain three completely different tones ~ a 15 year-old Italian heavyweight soda-lime olive oil bottleneck; one of Doc Sigmier's Rocky Mountain Slides ceramic pieces....and a Craftsman Socket. Each supplies me with their own vibe & turns my resonator instruments into the equivalent of a three pick-up guitar...warm & smooth; 'gritty' with a little 'bite' ~ and all-out 'balls to the wall' :D

Thanks again to all & Slide On!

Ian & the Diamond Bottlenecks team.

WordMan
06-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Bronze slides are available from my good friend Lu Tatum at Big Heart Slides (www.bigheartslide.com (http://www.bigheartslide.com)) ~ his "Bronze Bomber" is a truly stunning piece of kit - but you'll require fingers like Popeye to use one...HEAVY!!!

I love heavy bronze/brass slides - and the Bronze Bomber qualifies. I was trying to find one - for a while they stopped production, according to their website about a year ago; prolly back on by now (ETA: yep - they are back available on the site). Anyway, I found this slide:

http://www.bottleneckguitar.com/slides.html

It is made by Kirk Lorange in Australia - big and heavy like a Bronze Bomber, but tapered on the inside so it fits snugly over your fingertip - super maneuverable. It is also a bit short - designed to cover 5 strings - which makes is a bit eastier to control. Just a great slide.

pbradt
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Ian, I wish you all the success in the world, I'm just too stupid and ADD to risk $44 on a slide I'll probably lose. I suppose if I were recording more, and I liked the sound, I'd snag one for recording but sadly, I don't.

I mean no disrespect to your product but I'm just too stupid to use it and not lose it. I can handle losing a $6 slide. A $44 slide is just too risky a proposition for me.

TDJMB
06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
My Dunlop glass slide fits the best but is dull, dull, dull compared to my Rocky Mountain slides. I have a glass Coricidin bottle-type and a ceramic type and they sound great but are a bit light for me. Or maybe I just like a thicker-walled slide. And they're too loose. So I ordered one from Ian. I chose a color that wasn't my first choice but was available right away. Just as he was about to send out my order, Ian emailed me a pic of a blue one he'd gotten in. I like the color much better and appreciate him taking the time to check with me. I play mostly at home and so don't worry about breaking a glass slide - besides, I've had the Dunlop for years. And I don't want to read about Derek Truck's tone (and I do love it) because he gets to turn up waaayyy louder than I do!

Diamond
06-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Hey pbradt ~ no disrespect taken at all here my friend - i understand your situation completely & thanks for your posting & your kind wishes:)....one of our slide endorsers constantly leaves his custom-made slides at gigs or passes them on to members of his audience ~ gets through around three a month :D

....yeah ~ i forgot about Kirk's internally-tapered brass beauties - excellent pieces of kit!!!!

Slide On ~ and thanks Joan!

Ian (D.B's)

AJ Love
06-16-2010, 10:32 AM
John Primer uses a metal slide that he makes for himsef, and his tone is about as good as it gets

TDJMB
06-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I just received my Ultimate slide. Gorgeous looks, gorgeous tone. Smooth, loud, and effortless. Far better playability and tone - there's just more information - than my other glass, ceramic, and brass slides. If you want the old blues "scritch", the Ultimate may not be for you. But, for smooth & singing, this is it. Thanks to the OP for spreading the word.