PDA

View Full Version : Cmatmods Deeelay vs. Malekko Ekko 616

phusana
03-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Which of these would be best for just a basic slapback for roots/alt-country? Both priced the same.... Has anyone tried both?

dmc777
03-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I just got a 616 and am still trying to get used to it. It's a brighter analog delay and the repeats are pretty distorted. It also self oscillates way too easily. It has it's positives though. The deeelay seems to be a really nice darker sounding digital and I've yet to try one of Chads pedals I didn't like. I'd probably go with the deeelay or if you're just wanting slapback look into the Aquapuss.

waters
03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Just for slap back I would also go with the Deeelay or an Aqua Puss reissue. The Deeelay sounds a lot alike the Aqua Puss to my ears.

phusana
03-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the quick info. Looks like Aqua Puss vs. Deeelay now!

waters
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
It appears there are some Aqua Puss pedals selling on ebay for around $100. Or you can test one out from somewhere with a return policy. I have both the Deeelay and the AP, you can't go wrong with either for what you want it to do. I noticed you have a DD7 so the 300ms AP could be the way to go to cover the short delay needs and the dd7 for the long stuff.

phusana
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I'm catching up on the AP reissue threads,good reading! There's also a Deeelay on my local CL for a good price. Might be leaning that way.

I do have a DD7, which is often missing from my board and I find it being used by my teenage daughter as a looper for her violin.:rockin I figure she has better use for the DD7, overkill for my current slapback only needs anyway.

waters
03-09-2010, 03:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BubYedJ11ag

This is a good short comparison of the two, the AP is an original though not a reissue.

r9player
03-09-2010, 03:45 PM
That's a nice comparison. Sound very similar. Wish I could've heard the base clean sound as well on that. (w/o effect)

BradB41
03-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I own an Aqua Puss RI and a Deelay. The Aqua Puss is much warmer sounding to me. The Deelay is a cool pedal, but the AP reissue is on the board. I didn't mean to hijack your thread either...no experience with the Malekko. I think it comes down to what your ears want. I like the warmth of analog.

cuz/karl
03-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I use the Deelay for the exact same thing you ask about.Love it.I may get another to replace my CC on my coverband board.Great pedal & can be had for $100 used.

Redfish
03-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I've owned a lot of delay pedals including a nice vintage ad-80 and the Deelay is on my board. It's just really hard to beat. I haven't tried the AP but if it's warmer than the Deelay then it's really, really warm. The Deelay is just so simple to use and I don't end up twisting knobs the whole time I'm using it. I dare you to get a bad sound out of it and it's really reasonably priced. Sorry, I haven't tried the Malekko.

BradB41
03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I put the Deelay on the board next to the AP and have been playing around with both. AP just has a rounder, warmer sound than the Deelay and sounds more authentic if you are going for a rockabilly slap back. The Deelay has a longer delay and would probably be the more versatile of the two. The Deelay is "clearer" or cleaner sounding. Really I think that is just the difference in analog and digital.

In a band setting I use it to get the rockabilly slapback thing going for some Carl Perkins stuff as well as for some surf music. If we did more classic rock I'd have the Deelay on the board for gigs. In the music room I like the Deelay for the rock stuff...been especially digging the Gilmour tone you get adding the Deelay to my fuzz pedal (Britbender).

Buy one of each! They're both awesome pedals.

venivici
03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
I have 2 Malekko Ekko 616s and love them, I don't use them for short delay though. I have one set medium and the other longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNt3Qvah2iA
This demo, around 4:00, he has a malekko set shorter.

dmc777
03-09-2010, 08:43 PM
I have 2 Malekko Ekko 616s and love them, I don't use them for short delay though. I have one set medium and the other longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNt3Qvah2iA
This demo, around 4:00, he has a malekko set shorter.

Do you not find that your 616 is distorted, noisy, and oscillates too easily? Or is that what you like about yours? I'm going to adjust the gain trimpot again and hold on to if for a little while as my opinion often changes once I do get rid of a pedal.

On the other hand...the deelay and ap did sound quite similar "in that video" atleast. I'd love to have both but really wish the ap had longer delay time.

phusana
03-10-2010, 07:40 AM
I use the Deelay for the exact same thing you ask about.Love it.I may get another to replace my CC on my coverband board.Great pedal & can be had for $100 used.

^this

Thanks for all the great info. I'm picking up a Deeelay today from CL for $100, must be fate...

rummy
03-10-2010, 07:43 AM
I already own two cmatmods pedals. My third one will be this Deeelay.

waters
03-10-2010, 09:10 AM
^this

Thanks for all the great info. I'm picking up a Deeelay today from CL for $100, must be fate...

Good choice!