PDA

View Full Version : DRRI or Princeton style amp in head version?

kleydj13
03-18-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm looking to buy a new amp and really enjoy the Fender mid sized 6V6 amps. I really would prefer to have a head to a combo and I'm wondering if someone else makes something that would meet my wishes? What's out there? My budget is under $800, I have a PRS C24, and I play blues, rock, and worship music. Thanks.

dividedsky
03-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure anyone is making them in a complete version but you can buy a PR or DR chassis and head cabinet. Chicken Pickin Amps will sell you a completed chassis and there is also someone on ebay selling them. Mojotone has PR and DR head cabinets. The chassis will run somewhere around $725+ and the cabs are $200+ so somewhat out of your budget but it's all I know of. Hope that helps.

Oh actually you could buy either a DRRI or PRRI for under $600 used, put the chassis and reverb in one of the Mojo Tone head cabs for a total of around $800 and sell the PRRI or DRRI cabinet and speaker for maybe $100 or so. Maybe a bit more work that way but it would do the trick.

dk123123dk
03-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Frenzel?

lpdeluxe
03-19-2010, 07:52 AM
You can also leave the combo alone and plug another cabinet into the speaker output. I've done that with my DRRI. I'd rather have a "real" head, but I like the portability of the combo, so I'll leave it as it is.

kleydj13
03-21-2010, 05:02 PM
I was looking up Frenzel as I've never heard of his work and I was really impressed. It really seems to be what I'm looking for. I emailed him with some questions and got a really quick and informative response. The sound clips have been impressive, and what's more well-known than a 5E3 circuit? Also a price tag around $600 is really nice!

pula58
03-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Allen Sweet spot - there is a head version...
Almost exactly like a Princeton reverb...except more headroom, capability to use 6L6 tubes, bright switch, middle tone control..I have heard nothing but good things about this amplifier.