PDA

View Full Version : Egnater Tweaker build quality?

jay24
03-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Hey guys. Any insight, gut shots, opinions on the build quality of this amp? Power tubes chassis or pcb mounted? Thanks.

jay24
03-24-2010, 02:30 PM
any opinions? Thinking of picking one up today..

strat56
03-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Would taking it apart void the warranty? I think so, may be why there are no gut shots? I got one today, like it so far.

Fifthstone
03-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Would taking it apart void the warranty? I think so, may be why there are no gut shots? I got one today, like it so far.

I don't think opening up the amp and exposing the chassis would void the warranty.

strat56
03-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I took a peek at the chassis today when I changed the tubes to 6L6's. Everything is board mounted. It is very neatly done all wiring is neat and bundled well. Very busy place in there, couldn't see much of the board.

I personally have no issues with board mounted tubes or components. I think with this amp, with the tubes on top, there probably wouldn't be a heat issue anyway.

jcbranam
03-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I took a peek at the chassis today when I changed the tubes to 6L6's. Everything is board mounted. It is very neatly done all wiring is neat and bundled well. Very busy place in there, couldn't see much of the board.

I personally have no issues with board mounted tubes or components. I think with this amp, with the tubes on top, there probably wouldn't be a heat issue anyway.

What does changing the tubes to 6L6 tubes do to the sound of this amp? Increase the clean headroom?

Waxhead
03-30-2010, 08:48 PM
What does changing the tubes to 6L6 tubes do to the sound of this amp? Increase the clean headroom?

Will 6L6 tubes even fit in a Tweaker ??
They won't in my Rebel 20.
The cabinet isn't tall enuf to fit the bigger 6L6 tubes.

Plus the Tweaker has only been for sale a short while.
Not enuf time for any accurate assessment of build quality IMO.

Head+Cab
03-30-2010, 08:58 PM

Easiest approximate way to find out is to just use some JJ 6V6 tubes, which more closely resemble 6L6 tubes.

strat56
03-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Will 6L6 tubes even fit in a Tweaker ??

They fit because the top vent is directly over the power tubes. Same with EL34's. I took the back cover off the amp and the top vent, removed the 6V6 and put the 6L6 and EL34 tubes in from the top. The top vent will go back on and the tubes don't touch it.

I don't think the 6L6 will add any headroom because according to Egnater they don't change the wattage. It sounded to me like they made the tone more balanced and full, rounder. I tried the original 6V6, JJ 6L6's and GT EL34's and I liked the 6L6's best, YMMV. I have some NOS JAN Phillips 6V6 in another amp I might try but I'm really liking the 6L6.

I agree no way to know about reliability for a while, but I'm guessing if it's like most mass produced amps, from a respected builder, it will be OK. I don't think a builder with the rep of Egnater is going to put out something that will hurt him. Again, just my opinion.

I'm still liking it, gonna try it plugged into a 4X12 Rivera cab at rehearsal this week, will let you know how it goes.

jcbranam
03-30-2010, 10:01 PM
So you can change from 6V6 to 6L6 or EL84 on this amp? Is there anything special you have to do to do this, like rebias?

Danzego
03-30-2010, 11:34 PM
So you can change from 6V6 to 6L6 or EL84 on this amp? Is there anything special you have to do to do this, like rebias?

Cathode biased, so nope. :)

DanJep
03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Didn't read anything on this amp yet so I might be wrong. 6V6 & 6L6 use the same socket but EL84 use an altogether different socket. Unless the amp is designed to support one I am afraid you will not be able to take out a 6V6 and put in an EL84

This is correct but you can put an el34 in the amp.

Danzego
03-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Didn't read anything on this amp yet so I might be wrong. 6V6 & 6L6 use the same socket but EL84 use an altogether different socket. Unless the amp is designed to support one I am afraid you will not be able to take out a 6V6 and put in an EL84

Oh geez, I didn't even see that! Skimming over it, I thought he "said" EL34, since that does use the same socket as a 6L6 and 6V6. Good catch. :)

Waxhead
03-31-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't think the 6L6 will add any headroom because according to Egnater they don't change the wattage. It sounded to me like they made the tone more balanced and full, rounder. I tried the original 6V6, JJ 6L6's and GT EL34's and I liked the 6L6's best, YMMV. I have some NOS JAN Phillips 6V6 in another amp I might try but I'm really liking the 6L6.

I agree no way to know about reliability for a while, but I'm guessing if it's like most mass produced amps, from a respected builder, it will be OK. I don't think a builder with the rep of Egnater is going to put out something that will hurt him. Again, just my opinion.

I'm still liking it, gonna try it plugged into a 4X12 Rivera cab at rehearsal this week, will let you know how it goes.

Thx - interesting comments and yeah - knowing Egnater products a bit now I'd expect the build quality of the Tweaker to be excellent as usual :)

fierce_carrot
03-31-2010, 07:01 PM
I put EL34's in mine today and this amp went straight into KICK ASS mode!....I am gonna like this little sucker....

EataPeach
04-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I just put some 6L6's in mine...I love it.
Like the other poster said,they sound smoother,a bit warmer than the 6V6's...

BTW--Where does it say that one can change out tubes to 6V6's...6L6's ,EL34's....Iknow I ask too late as I already did it..But I like to know the facts...Did it come from Bruce etc??

Carrot...How do the EL34's sound ? I dont know much about them in general. Anything like EL 84's?

Looking down through the top...Which 12ax7 is V1? I was thinking of putting a NOS 12at7 in there....

Thanks.

bluesmann8
07-28-2010, 09:57 PM
:JAM