PDA

View Full Version : Live Looping... Electric guitar AND vocals

jonlarsen002
03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
So I do a solo act through a Bose L1 system... and I want to be able to loop parts from both my guitar and my vocals. I want to run my guitar through a slightly hot tube amp, so I'm not sure I want the vocals to go through there as well.

What is the best way to handle this? Just bite the bullet and get 2 loop pedals? Or do I run a mic from the amp into the loop pedal along with a vocal mic. But then the looped guitar sounds will be slightly quieter and with less presence than when played through the amp AND the bose PA.

Any ideas?

CaseyI
03-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Use 2 loop pedals. It will give you many more options. The MASTER at this is Howie Day. Check him out if you haven't already.

jaywalker
03-24-2010, 10:55 AM
This is what I do for acoustic gigs with a guitar, GR20 and vocals:
Everything goes into a little behringer mixer on the floor and I feed all the signals into a looper via an aux.
I have 2 A/B switches so I can bypass the looping of either the guitar/gr20 signal or the vocals.

A/B 1 is chanbel 1 or 2 on the mixer - only channel 2 goes through the aux, same for the guitar/GR20 - channel 3 or 4 respectively. Easy as pie.
The looper output goes back into a channel on the mini mixer which I can plug into anything I want.

All you need is one looper, two simple A/B boxes and a few extra patch cables.

entraind
03-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Boomerang 3 is stereo with 3 separate loops, you could send guitar through the left channel and vox through the right channel.

Use one loop for guitars and the other for vox. you would need to run through a board or have a mute switch for each channel so they aren't recording while you are looping the others.

Off the top of my head the Boss RC-50 and the echoplex could do this as well. Still it may be simpler to use 2 loopers...

Moe45673
03-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Should be able to do it with the Digitech Jamman Stereo.

KT Tunstall, a performer well known for her using an Akai Headrush, plugs her guitar and vocals into a mixer and uses one of the various outputs on the mixer (not a soundguy, don't remember which!) to run into her Headrush, thereby getting it all in there.

But yeah, you'd probably need a looper with stereo outs that supports splitting the double signal

famousbirds
03-24-2010, 12:57 PM
My guitarist uses an RC-20 for looping - it's got an XLR input so he can record vocals as well. Granted, he's running it into a Twin Reverb so it's not so much an issue.

nic'o'caster
03-24-2010, 01:34 PM
I'd recommand the new Jam Man from Digitech.
http://www.digitech.com/products/images/products/JamManStereo.jpg

Moe45673
03-24-2010, 01:43 PM
My guitarist uses an RC-20 for looping - it's got an XLR input so he can record vocals as well. Granted, he's running it into a Twin Reverb so it's not so much an issue.

The RC-20XL (and RC-20) have a 1/4" Mic input jack, for some weird reason. The Jamman has XLR input. Why boss went for 1/4" is beyond me.

Plus, the Boss (and original Jamman) only do mono output, which won't help the OP at all

jonlarsen002
03-24-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd recommand the new Jam Man from Digitech.
http://www.digitech.com/products/images/products/JamManStereo.jpg
I think this is probably my best bet. btw, is there some method of saving a custom recorded loop under the rhythm functionality on this unit?

archtop
03-24-2010, 03:09 PM
You might want to check MOBIUS (http://www.circularlabs.com/) looping software out...

This software is FREE, and you can customise it to do what you want.
You just need a midi controller/computer solution that is appropriate for live use.

BLURB
Mobius is software for the real-time creation and manipulation of audio loops. It was inspired by the venerable hardware loopers of the past, but moves beyond them in many powerful and exciting ways. You can think of Mobius as 8 synchronized stereo loopers that can be used in any combination with extensive MIDI and computer keyboard control. Loops may be saved to and loaded from files. A powerful scripting language allows you to create macros or customize Mobius to support your unique style of performance.

Mobius is available for both Windows (XP and Vista) and OS X (10.4 or higher). It can be run standalone, as a VST plugin, or as an Audio Unit plugin on OS X.

famousbirds
03-24-2010, 03:34 PM
The RC-20XL (and RC-20) have a 1/4" Mic input jack, for some weird reason. The Jamman has XLR input. Why boss went for 1/4" is beyond me.

Ah, just checked. So it does.

*The More You Know*

EricPeterson
03-24-2010, 03:48 PM
EH Stereo Memory man has stereo ins and outs so you can run it with two amps and two inputs.

Lance
04-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Check out the Boss VE-20. It has both XLR & 1/4" jacks, and has about the same looping ability as the RC-20XL. Also, has tons of cool vocal effects, which is its primary function. I don't have one...yet!

sife
12-15-2010, 10:57 AM
2 loops is difficult because they are not on the same midi clock. unless there's a way to synch up midi clocks it's extremely difficult to use 2 loops at once. if there is a way, PLEASE let me know.