PDA

View Full Version : mxr micro chorus or malekko chorus?

rey
03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
ok guys looking for a new chorus pedal i narrowed it down to these two not familiar with malekko so help me out.at 80 bucks the mxr is a steal but im not crazy about the one knob and i dont think it uses the panasonic bbd chip is that true? lets hear your opinions......

erksin
03-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I've not tried the MXR, but the Malekko I've got sounds really good. It falls into the CE-2 camp to my ears, so analog warmth with a little more sheen on top than a CE-1 type sound.

rey
03-26-2010, 06:07 PM
thanks for the reply erksin, the micro chorus reissue just came out i wish someone would demo it against the 80's model.

MjCartney
03-26-2010, 08:08 PM
I have both the MXR reissue and the Malekko. The one named Erksin speaks the truth. The Malekko is very CE-2ish and is a very nice piece of kit. Erksin's description is right on.

The MXR is also very nice. If it were a spectrum and the CE-2 was on one end, and an EXH Small Clone was on the other, the MXR would be near the middle, but just a bit closer to the Small Clone end of things. The one knob works well IMHO. Lots of useable sounds throughout the range, and it also plays very nice with dirt. I haven't A-B'ed the reissue with an original, but it sounds like I remember it. It hit my expecations right out of the box.

ChorusCrackpot
03-27-2010, 01:18 AM
I would choose the Malekko.

Aslan
03-27-2010, 06:53 AM
I just got a MXR Micro chorus and was impressed with the tone, some chorus units sound a little like a phaser (Visual Sound H2O) that I don't care for others have a fat, full, organic tone that cause your tone to bloom, the MXR Micro Chorus is in the second category. I've had the following chorus pedals over the years:
Voo Doo Labs
Visual Sound H2O
Ibanez
Fultone Chorale/Flange
And to be honest I like the Micro Chorus the best for my applications ( I use chorus sparingly)
You ought to a least try one because for ~$80 they're a bargin, IMHO.

JeffOlson
03-27-2010, 11:08 AM
I am definitely going to try the Micro Chorus. it sounds great from the clips on the net, and it is hard to beat the price. While at it, I will probably also try the Zakk Wylde chorus...

Structo
03-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey if cost is an issue, I bought a Danelectro Cool Cat chorus that I think sounds pretty darn good.
It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but does a great job of chorus.
And it's true bypass if that is a concern.
It has wet/dry mix, EQ, speed and depth.

dlc1953
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Anymore opinion's? Have the Micro it's ok sound's better to me stacked with Phase 90 script can't decide on exchanging for Mallekko chorus.

Seeker of Rock
05-05-2010, 05:35 PM
80 bucks the mxr is a steal but im not crazy about the one knob and i dont think it uses the panasonic bbd chip is that true?

I haven't played either of these, but I can comment on the chip. The Panasonic MN3007 delay chip has been out of production for awhile and likely is only available from people who collect them to use in boutique pedals. The original micro chorus didn't use the panasonic chip anyways. I highly doubt MXR could find enough of these to mass produce micro chorus pedals even if they wanted to design a chorus around them now. There are other chip manufacturers producing their versions, but Panansonic is no longer making these and boutique builders like analogman are the only ones I know of using NOS mn3007 for chorus. Dunlop may be using chinese manufactured chips for these, I'm not sure but that is what I would guess.

Speeddemon
05-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I haven't played either of these, but I can comment on the chip. The Panasonic MN3007 delay chip has been out of production for awhile and likely is only available from people who collect them to use in boutique pedals. The original micro chorus didn't use the panasonic chip anyways. I highly doubt MXR could find enough of these to mass produce micro chorus pedals even if they wanted to design a chorus around them now. There are other chip manufacturers producing their versions, but Panansonic is no longer making these and boutique builders like analogman are the only ones I know of using NOS mn3007 for chorus. Dunlop may be using chinese manufactured chips for these, I'm not sure but that is what I would guess.
Doesn't CoolAudio make reissues/workables of these BBD's?
Since MXR also came with a RI Micro Flanger (original used the EXTREMELY RARE SAD512) and the analog Carbon Copy, I take it they must have found a decent supply of BBD's now.

Seeker of Rock
05-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Doesn't CoolAudio make reissues/workables of these BBD's?

I'm not sure, but if you know they do I would believe you.

Since MXR also came with a RI Micro Flanger (original used the EXTREMELY RARE SAD512) and the analog Carbon Copy, I take it they must have found a decent supply of BBD's now.

Don't get me wrong, there are delay and op-amp chips still being made, just not the Panasonic ones that the OP mentioned. There are some being made in China, I'm not sure how many more producers there are.

rey
05-20-2010, 06:29 PM
well i bought the mxr micro chorus at 80 bucks it was too hard to pass up, solid little box nice sound still have no idea what bbd chip they used i would open it up and take a look but i have no idea what to look for, so if any member knows please post the info.