PDA

View Full Version : Replacement wah pots

Tone-Control
03-29-2010, 09:50 AM
I've got an early 80's Thomas Crybaby in need of a pot. What do you guys like and why? I was thinking of ordering the Area 51 pot.

jay42
03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Look at the pots at smallbear. Both the 100K and 200K "Black Top/Bear" are nice pieces.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Wah-Wah+and+Swell+Pedal+Parts%2C+Wah+Inductors

Tone-Control
03-29-2010, 01:50 PM
I believe I need 100k? How would a 200k pot affect the pedal?

4styx
03-29-2010, 02:13 PM
I believe I need 100k? How would a 200k pot affect the pedal?

Similar to rolling the gear pot back a notch or two.

JLee
03-29-2010, 02:14 PM
200K gives the effect of an old pot with a worn carbon track I believe.

Tone-Control
03-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Anybody else?

SocraticTele
03-30-2010, 08:38 AM
I asked this question a few times and never got a definitive answer. My conclusion: either the value of the pot makes no difference at all, or it does make a difference, but no one on TGP knows what it is or else is sworn to secrecy.

Tone-Control
03-30-2010, 08:57 AM
I asked this question a few times and never got a definitive answer. My conclusion: either the value of the pot makes no difference at all, or it does make a difference, but no one on TGP knows what it is or else is sworn to secrecy.

I guess I was curious if the Area 51 icar is any better than the Smallbear version. They look identical but Area 51 says they are not. I need a switch also and Smallbear has better prices.

bandofthieves™
03-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Technically this should be a direct replacement for your wah.You never mentioned the brand of pot in your wah..
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=363

Tone-Control
03-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Technically this should be a direct replacement for your wah.You never mentioned the brand of pot in your wah..
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=363

It had a teese bought from Analogman back in the 90's.

bandofthieves™
03-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Did it have a black or white gear?

Tone-Control
03-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Did it have a black or white gear?

White.

jay42
03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
I have a Hot Potz I or II...can't remember...anyway, I don't like it compared to the ones with the black cover...these are custom Alpha pots, btw. The black dust cover is the same as you can buy from a hardware store.

Tone-Control
03-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Area 51 is supposed to be CTS. I believe the smallbear black top is also CTS. I may just order the smallbear 100k and give it a shot.

jay42
03-30-2010, 02:33 PM
I remembered wrong. I have one here that measures 178K, bought from new sensor. The pot itself, is stamped "PRO-POT." The one I bought from Hoffman is in a pedal elsewhere, so I can't look at it right now. fwiw, the fiberglass waffer is too dark to be CTS, however, the pot is clearly a 1W, so it's no Alpha.

Mr. Kite
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM

That is a hard to get pot. Try taking it apart and cleaning it with a q-tip and caig deoxit. I'll bet it will be good to go. If you are dead set on replacement will you let have the pot? I'll pay the shipping & handling.

Tone-Control
03-30-2010, 03:22 PM
That is a hard to get pot. Try taking it apart and cleaning it with a q-tip and caig deoxit. I'll bet it will be good to go. If you are dead set on replacement will you let have the pot? I'll pay the shipping & handling.

Sorry that pots out with the trash. It wasn't scratchy, it really wouldn't do anything unless you firmly rotated the gear by hand. Weird I know. I spent an hour checking various parts of the wah and it was the pot. I was happy to see it go.

americananalog
03-30-2010, 03:56 PM
I've had some bad luck with ICAR replicas and I'm done with them. It's Dunlop HotPotz from now on, they're more robust with a slightly more aggressive sound, and they feel nice under the foot.

jay42
03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
I've had some bad luck with ICAR replicas...How so? The one I bought from Hoffman opened up immediately from the soldering process. I fixed it with conductive paint.

zombiwoof
03-31-2010, 12:48 PM
There has been a lot of discussion about the difference between the 100k and 200k wah pots and the consensus at the pedal building forums has been that it doesn't really matter that much. The reason the Blacktop pot is 200k is that it was a copy of the first Geoffrey Teese pot, which was cloned from an original ICAR that he had, which measured around 200k (even though the orig spec for the Vox pots was supposedly 100k). I have the 200k Blacktop in one pedal and it works fine. Many people thought that this was wrong so Small Bear had them make it in 100k. The other component values in the circuit have much more influence on the range and sweep of the pot than the value of the pot itself. I would go for one of the pots that are made by CTS, I think the construction of the CTS is better than the others I have tried. So, the Blacktop, the Area 51, or the one that the Whipple Inductor guy sells would be my choice.

Al

Tone-Control
03-31-2010, 12:57 PM
There has been a lot of discussion about the difference between the 100k and 200k wah pots and the consensus at the pedal building forums has been that it doesn't really matter that much. The reason the Blacktop pot is 200k is that it was a copy of the first Geoffrey Teese pot, which was cloned from an original ICAR that he had, which measured around 200k (even though the orig spec for the Vox pots was supposedly 100k). I have the 200k Blacktop in one pedal and it works fine. Many people thought that this was wrong so Small Bear had them make it in 100k. The other component values in the circuit have much more influence on the range and sweep of the pot than the value of the pot itself. I would go for one of the pots that are made by CTS, I think the construction of the CTS is better than the others I have tried. So, the Blacktop, the Area 51, or the one that the Whipple Inductor guy sells would be my choice.

Al

Good info. Thanks. I actually ordered a NOS Hot Pot I from Smallbear this morning. It reminds me of the original pot. Hopefully they are decent.

bandofthieves™
03-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Good info. Thanks. I actually ordered a NOS Hot Pot I from Smallbear this morning. It reminds me of the original pot. Hopefully they are decent.
If memory serves me and the old pots I have here do not lie,The original Hotpotz were indeed made by Clarostat-A-B.Prior to that 72-80 according to my wahs was Centralab.The White geared pot by RMC that you got from Analogman was a rocpot 1 100k.Rockpot 2 was 100 and 200k..RMC was not selling those at the time..If you had a rocpot2 with black gear it was a counterfeit. CTS needs to retool,their pots are pretty bad.Builders that have them know this and just deal with it.

mjkk
03-31-2010, 02:46 PM
try an arteffect pot, just installed one with their inductor and I was pleased.

hazel-rah
03-31-2010, 02:49 PM
I put an area 51 pot in my old 846, and it was significantly noisier than the fulltone pot that it replaced (the fulltone had died). I put something from ebay---whipple maybe?---in my king vox and it sounded much better, I thought (less "ocean sounds").