PDA

View Full Version : Best vocal condenser mic under $500?

jmcloud
04-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Looking to expand my mic locker with some extra session money I had come in this week. Anyone have any opinions on what the best vocal condenser under $500 is?

buddaman71
04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
The Studio Projects mics are fantastic in that price range and below. I worked at Sweetwater and, via critical listening, personally compared them to mics costing 5x as much and they definitely held their own.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c105--Studio_Projects--Condenser_Microphones

Les Paul Guy
04-12-2010, 10:21 AM
here's a 2nd for the Studio Projects. I know a few guys whose project studio is built around their mics and they have nothing but good things to say about them.

loudboy
04-12-2010, 11:11 AM
We did 2 shootouts w/2 differents SP C-1s, along with about 8 other mics, in various price ranges, and every one of us put the C-1 dead last.

Even the female vocalist we were using for the demo - "Is that one broken?" <g>

I would look at Audio-Technica or Shure, in that price range.

Not sexy, but very good all-rounders.

kludge
04-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Depends on the singer, really. Male or female? Range? Tonal quality? What sort of sound are you going for?

My favorite vocal mic is an Oktavamod 219, but I work mostly with female singers, and it LOVES women's voices. Male voices often benefit from a good dynamic (EV RE-16, out of production) or a ribbon.

mj07
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I like Rode for vocals. SE electronics makes some pretty good copies of much more exspensive mics. I have a pair of their TLM copies and they sound great.

Les Paul Guy
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
If you're not on the Studio projects train, you could go with the Shure SM7b. Everyone and their mom has done vocals on one of those.

meterman
04-12-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't know about best but I have an MXL v67g modded by Michael Joly @ Oktavamod that sounds really good and was around $300 total...

http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_46&products_id=127

I've also got an SM7B which is a good mic too but I prefer the LDC for vocals

straticus
04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I highly recommend checking out the Rode NTK. It's a very nice sounding mic on lots of different sources.

Julia343
04-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Depends on the singer, really. Male or female? Range? Tonal quality? What sort of sound are you going for?

My favorite vocal mic is an Oktavamod 219, but I work mostly with female singers, and it LOVES women's voices. Male voices often benefit from a good dynamic (EV RE-16, out of production) or a ribbon.

Thank you for this suggestion. I've been looking for a better mic.

tfunster
04-12-2010, 02:34 PM
I would recommend the ADK Hamburg MK8 mic which runs around $350. I have the custom shop version which is excellent---smooth, detailed with no harshness and no nasalness. The Custom Shop version has upgraded parts and capsule, but Larry from ADK has done his homework with the lower end mics and they are supposedly fabulous as well.

GuitarsFromMars
04-12-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't know about best but I have an MXL v67g modded by Michael Joly @ Oktavamod that sounds really good and was around $300 total...

http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_46&products_id=127

I've also got an SM7B which is a good mic too but I prefer the LDC for vocals

Both good choices, but you need a serious (65dB) pre to use an SM7B, the V67G is the best bang for buck in a home studio LDC.

atticus
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Why does it need to be a condenser? You can get a Beyerdynamic M88, which it a high end dynamic, in the $300 range. Those are excellent on a variety of sources, including vocals.

southpaw pete
04-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I highly recommend checking out the Rode NTK. It's a very nice sounding mic on lots of different sources.
+1 Yeah the NTK is a great mic- plus it's got tubes. ;) On our last Cd, out of the mics available with the engineer/studio we were recording with, we ended up using the NTK on just about everything with great results. We used it on:
Male vocals, female vocals, acoustic guitar, violin, mandolin, harp, flutes, tinwhistles, and a number of hand drums. Sounded great.