PDA

View Full Version : Brand new car, blew a tire on vacation. Warranty on tires?

jimmyohio75
04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
My wife and I bought a brand new Chevy Traverse a few months ago. We took it on vacation last week to Hilton Head. 5 hours into the trip we blew a tire. The tow truck guy who helped us out examined the tire and determined that due to the 3 inch slice and shredding on the sidewall of the tire he thinks that the tire simply blew. The weather was perfect. I was cruising at 70 mph on highway 77. There was nothing on the road and I did not hit a nail.
My question is this. The car only had 2300 miles on it.
It is fairly obvious to the tow truck guy that the tire simply failed. He thinks it was defective. Do I have any recourse to be reimbursed for the $298 that it cost for a new tire?
It seems to me that a brand new tire should not "pop".
What do you guys think?

Jon C
04-12-2010, 06:45 PM
you'll have to prove defect vs. road hazard ... slim chance it's covered on a new car where you didn't buy road hazard coverage at the tire store....

ACfixer
04-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I'd certainly hit up the dealership and raise a stink. I think that's your best chance, maybe 50/50 that they might help you.

Bryan T
04-12-2010, 06:50 PM
According to this site: http://autos.yahoo.com/2010_chevrolet_traverse_2lt_fwd-warranty/
they should be under warranty.

RichieD
04-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Tires aren't Firestone, are they?

Mr. New Dilemma
04-12-2010, 07:03 PM
When I bought my new car, it had tire warranty, it was stuffed in among the other ton of papers. The tires lasted just long enough to outlive the warranty by a few miles.

jimmyohio75
04-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Tires aren't Firestone, are they?

Nope, Goodyear

This one:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/img/catalog/tires/full/010800360104109042.jpg

Luke
04-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Try the dealer first. Causing a scene in the showroom when they are busy does wonders.

Otherwise, send a certified letter to Goodyear with your supporting documentation.

Doug's Tubes
04-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Try the dealer first. Causing a scene in the showroom when they are busy does wonders.

Otherwise, send a certified letter to Goodyear with your supporting documentation.

Tire warranty's are separate from the manufacturers warranty on the car.

gayler
04-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Tire warranty's are separate from the manufacturers warranty on the car.
Yep It's true! Better go see the Goodyear man.

Gitarman
04-13-2010, 06:11 AM
I'd start with the dealer. It's in his interest to make you a happy customer (especially since you just bought the thing). Raise enough of a stink & I'm sure that he'll make it right.

You also might find that the tire isn't covered by GoodYear... there's a good chance that they're more than a couple of years old and are therefore out of warranty. They may have sat rotting away in some huge warehouse waiting for Chevy to put them on a vehicle and then sat some more in the time between when your car was built and when you purchased it.

P.S. I'm not trying to knock Chevy, btw. My '02 Silverado has been damned near bulletproof since day 1 (the stock tires sucked, but still lasted me ~25k).

strat6866
04-13-2010, 06:47 AM
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of months ago. I started with the dealership (where I know a few employees by the way) and they laughed me out of the showroom.
Next stop.......NTW for a new tire.

I did sent a letter to our state highway dept..........never heard back of course.

germs
04-13-2010, 06:54 AM
if there's no documentation on tire warranty, the burden of proof is on the customer to prove defective workmanship.

that's not to say they shouldn't try to offer a compromise to make things right. maybe not a new tire, but a discounted rate?

fwiw, i work in the service dept at a large GM dealership. whenever something like this happens, it's usually a customer pay situation unless there's specific warranty coverage.

bummer though. never fun to have a blowout. roadside assistance was free though, right?

hamstrat
04-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Most sidewall "blowouts" or failures are a result of a road hazard. Not running over a nail type but an impact of some sort. It can happen when the truck was being delivered or anytime thereafter. Why didn't it blowout right away? Sometimes they do but more often the damage is centered between the sidewall plies (simplifying it a bit) and will most often fail with time or when heated up enough to its failure point. They most commonly start as a finger break or bulge perpendicular to the wheel (pointing from the wheel to the tread area). Boring, I know.

Sidewall defect failures in tires are rare but can be diagnosed. Your best bet is to take it to an independent Goodyear dealer and see if they can find a defect. It's in their interest to do so, as they get paid to handle the adjustment and would like you as a future customer buying your expensive tires from them.

I'm not a typical TGP expert in this area (as I am in others) as I spent about 25 years in the tire business. If you can't get satisfaction from the car dealer or the Goodyear dealer ask for the Goodyear rep's phone number and call him and see what he can do for you. Don't waste your time emailing him-call him or have the dealership have him call you. You would be surprised what they can and will do if you are polite and state your case well. Polite is the key. Nobody likes dealing with a dickhead.

edit- the statement above by germs is 100% correct

ImmortalSix
04-13-2010, 07:50 AM
It's your problem.

It's certainly not Chevrolet's problem, and it's even less of your local Chevrolet dealer's problem.

The less we try to make our problems someone else's problems, the better the world will be.

If I were you, I would buy a new tire.

jimmyohio75
04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
It's your problem.

It's certainly not Chevrolet's problem, and it's even less of your local Chevrolet dealer's problem.

The less we try to make our problems someone else's problems, the better the world will be.

If I were you, I would buy a new tire.

I already bought a new tire. It cost me $298!! This was on top of the friggin' $33,200 I paid for the damn vehicle 2 months ago!
I would expect the damn tires on a $33,000 vehicle to last longer than two months. Someone needs to reimburse me for the defective tire that came with my vehicle. I was driving in the center lane of the highway at 70 mph on a bright sunny day. I didn't run over anything. I didn't hit anything. I guess you just sit back and take it in the ass whenever you have a "problem"?

Hey Immportal Six, I appreciate your poignant philosophy regarding this issue. Maybe you should have your quote printed on coffee mugs?

I'm not trying to make "my problem" someone else's problem. I just don't feel like I should have had to spend $300 on a new tire when I had 4 new tires on the car to begin with. Am I being unreasonable? NO.

neastguy
04-13-2010, 08:13 AM
what I want to see is you getting a free tire and me getting some pics of the vacation. (sick of the weather, even though it was kinda a nice last week, but not today). I showed up at your house with a 4 cases of Schlitz to take on the trip, but you already left

coreybox
04-13-2010, 08:23 AM
I think it will be rather difficult to know (and prove) whether the tire was defective, or if it had some user applied stress sometime during the 2 months you've had it.

jimmyohio75
04-13-2010, 08:24 AM
what I want to see is you getting a free tire and me getting some pics of the vacation. (sick of the weather, even though it was kinda a nice last week, but not today). I showed up at your house with a 4 cases of Schlitz to take on the trip, but you already left
Oh that was awfully nice of you neast! I left with a case of Labatts and came home with two cases of Yuengling! I'm still working on getting the family pics into the computer!

brett s
04-13-2010, 08:31 AM
It doesn't hurt to ask, but the vast majority of times that sort of failure isn't from a defect.

As already said you'll need to dig out your tire warranty & follow up with the tire manufacturer, not the dealer or car manufacturer.

bigdaddy
04-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Any Goodyear retailer should have handled the tire warranty. Your tires are not warrantied by your dealer nor by Chevrolet, but by their manufacturer, Goodyear.

Who sold you a $300 tire? If it was a Goodyear retailer, that's where you should start.

zekmoe
04-13-2010, 11:22 AM
If you didn't take it to a goodyear dealer with recipt of new car purchase, and then just bought a tire yourself, I doubt anyone will reimburse. Worth trying though. Call around and ask a dealer what they'd do. Ask the car dealer what they'd do as well. Often they can tell you what process to follow.
Agree to with the "it's your problem" don't try and make someone else pay scenario. (opinion, so don't blow your stack like you did with the other poster who trying to make you own up).

hamstrat
04-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I think it will be rather difficult to know (and prove) whether the tire was defective, or if it had some user applied stress sometime during the 2 months you've had it.

No, actually it's really not hard to tell why the tire failed. You just have to know what you are looking at...

Jimmyohio, I just noticed you live in Akron, Ohio-same as Goodyear's Corporate headquarters. They have labs that would love to look at tire failures. You just have to ask the right people.

coreybox
04-13-2010, 02:54 PM
No, actually it's really not hard to tell why the tire failed. You just have to know what you are looking at...

Easy to tell what happened, or why it happened?

jimmyohio75
04-13-2010, 03:23 PM
If you didn't take it to a goodyear dealer with recipt of new car purchase, and then just bought a tire yourself, I doubt anyone will reimburse. Worth trying though. Call around and ask a dealer what they'd do. Ask the car dealer what they'd do as well. Often they can tell you what process to follow.
Agree to with the "it's your problem" don't try and make someone else pay scenario. (opinion, so don't blow your stack like you did with the other poster who trying to make you own up).

Let me explain the details surrounding how this situation unfolded. First off the tire blew at 7PM on a Friday night, just outside of Wytheville, Va (not a thriving metropolis). After The tow truck driver helped me put on the spare I drove 9 miles to a Hampton Inn. Keep in mind we are on the first day of our vacation headed to Hilton Head. I have my wife and two young daughters in the car. Upon waking up Saturday morning I began to try and locate a new tire for the car. There are three tire joints in Wytheville, Va. Two are closed and the third did not have the tire I needed. I began calling all tire dealers and Chevy dealers in a 70 mile radius. Keep in mind that if I cannot find a new tire we will be spending Easter in a Hampton Inn in Wytheville, Va. Not my idea of a great Easter. After roughly 40 phone calls I finally reached a Chevy dealer in Princeton, W.Va which is 40 miles North of Wytheville. I convinced the manager to take a tire off one of their stock Traverse's and sell it to me.
After two hours and $298 later we were back on the road headed to Hilton Head. As you can see my options were limited given the circumstances.
My only goal was to get my wife and kids out of a hotel and back on track to our original vacation destination.
I did keep the receipt but there were no Goodyear stores within a 300 mile radius of our location so I couldn't have an in depth discussion regarding who is to blame for the blown tire. I'm more angry than anything else.
I want someone to take responsibility for the fact that a brand new tire with 2000 miles on it popped and there were no signs of nails, blades, chains or any other road hazard which might have caused the failure. Goodyear will be next on my list of people to cal for answers.

Doug's Tubes
04-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Let me explain the details surrounding how this situation unfolded. First off the tire blew at 7PM on a Friday night, just outside of Wytheville, Va (not a thriving metropolis). After The tow truck driver helped me put on the spare I drove 9 miles to a Hampton Inn. Keep in mind we are on the first day of our vacation headed to Hilton Head. I have my wife and two young daughters in the car. Upon waking up Saturday morning I began to try and locate a new tire for the car. There are three tire joints in Wytheville, Va. Two are closed and the third did not have the tire I needed. I began calling all tire dealers and Chevy dealers in a 70 mile radius. Keep in mind that if I cannot find a new tire we will be spending Easter in a Hampton Inn in Wytheville, Va. Not my idea of a great Easter. After roughly 40 phone calls I finally reached a Chevy dealer in Princeton, W.Va which is 40 miles North of Wytheville. I convinced the manager to take a tire off one of their stock Traverse's and sell it to me.
After two hours and $298 later we were back on the road headed to Hilton Head. As you can see my options were limited given the circumstances.
My only goal was to get my wife and kids out of a hotel and back on track to our original vacation destination.
I did keep the receipt but there were no Goodyear stores within a 300 mile radius of our location so I couldn't have an in depth discussion regarding who is to blame for the blown tire. I'm more angry than anything else.
I want someone to take responsibility for the fact that a brand new tire with 2000 miles on it popped and there were no signs of nails, blades, chains or any other road hazard which might have caused the failure. Goodyear will be next on my list of people to cal for answers.

Don't forget to mention to Goodyear that you were forced to spend the night in a hotel due to the tire failure and they should reimburse you for that too! :beer

jimmyohio75
04-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Don't forget to mention to Goodyear that you were forced to spend the night in a hotel due to the tire failure and they should reimburse you for that too! :beer

Never thought of that...good point!