PDA

View Full Version : Nocaster vs Tonerider Hot Classic comparisons...?

WKG
04-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I recently found a great deal on a set of Nocasters for my CVC tele. I liked the stock pickups but wanted something hotter with a little more girth. The nocaster bridge is certainly thicker and hotter than the stock pups but still cleans up well, which is what I was looking for. The NC neck pup is great also. My interest is still piqued in the Tonerider HC bridge though and for only 40.00...

Has anybody been able to compare the current issue 7.3k Nocaster bridge pickup with the Tonerider Hot Classics? I know they are both Alnico III with the higher 9.1k on the Tonerider indicating a hotter output. The NC bridge just gets right up to the edge of where I like to go aggressively and I am curious if the Tonerider might be an improvement without sacrificing the clean/twang option.

I suppose I could just buy one and try it out but I thought I'd ask if anybody has used both and how they might compare.

WKG
04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Great sounding clips Kenny!

Looks like I might have to pickup one of the Toneriders and compare directly myself, seems like very few have actually had both. I can always sell whichever doesn't work best for me. I was just hoping maybe someone had been able to compare the two.

shark_bite
04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
You get what you pay for.

WKG
04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
You get what you pay for.

I agree for the most part but sometimes more, sometimes less.

WKG
04-14-2010, 10:19 AM
It would be great to find an earlier 10k nocaster bridge. I guess I am thinking the hot classic may be similar to that, hence possibly an improvement on the current nocaster bridge PUP?

I love pickup madness... :bonk

shark_bite
04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
The worst set of Tele pickups I have ever owned was a set of Tonerider Hot Alnico IIIs. The best set of Tele pickups I've had would be a tie between Lollars, Antiquities, and the handwound ones that came in my LSL. Coincidence? Probably not.

WKG
04-14-2010, 05:07 PM
The worst set of Tele pickups I have ever owned was a set of Tonerider Hot Alnico IIIs. The best set of Tele pickups I've had would be a tie between Lollars, Antiquities, and the handwound ones that came in my LSL. Coincidence? Probably not.

Thanks for your thoughts, one man's treasure is another's trash as usual.

Have you by chance had opportunity to compare the nocaster bridge with the Tonerider Hot Classic bridge for tele?

shark_bite
04-14-2010, 05:14 PM
I had a Nocaster neck pickup, but not a bridge. However, what's in my LSL is pretty much the same as what you'd get in a CS Nocaster (the LSL is basically a Nocaster anyway). There's no comparison whatsoever between the two pickups. The Tonerider... it's hard to describe. I mean, it sounded like a cheap pickup. No girth, no growl, nothing. Kinda like grabbing a Squier Bullet or MIM Standard Tele. It was like they tuned it to have the same relative frequency response as a Tele pickup and then called it a day. This surprises me given the higher DCR, but then again, that's something I think people get way more wrapped up (pardon the pun) in than they ought to. Materials play a big part too, as does the wind pattern. And the Toneriders just didn't have much going on at all. Thin-ish in the bridge, muddy everywhere else, and probably best characterized by having a very "undefined" sound.

WKG
04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Seems like you've had a bit of a different experience than others. I like the nocasters alot but am just curious, there are so many options available to sort out. I think I may stick with these for awhile and get to know them a bit better, probably add a 4 way switch for some different tones there.

mtlin
04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
I have some Toneriders in a strat and they sound great. I've had Fralins and Lollars (not in the same guitar). I'm happy with the Toneriders.

shark_bite
04-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Seems like you've had a bit of a different experience than others. I like the nocasters alot but am just curious, there are so many options available to sort out. I think I may stick with these for awhile and get to know them a bit better, probably add a 4 way switch for some different tones there.

Well it's also fair to mention that pickup swaps usually don't make that big a difference, so it should all be taken with a grain of salt. If you've got a dead guitar (particularly the neck), you're probably SOL no matter how much money you spend trying to upgrade things like pickups. I didn't hang onto the Tele with the Toneriders for very long, although incidentally I did use the neck in a parts build for a while before I re-assembled the guitar and sent it back out into the wild.