PDA

View Full Version : Snow White Wah vs Discumbobulator

ruger9
04-24-2010, 04:05 PM
I've watched the demos, read the press... for those of you that have both, how would you compare & contrast the two?

I recently go a Boss Dynamic Wah, and I LOVE the effect. But all the bottom drops out when it's engaged. I'd like it to not rape my base tone, espcially the low end, when engaged. So I've decided to srop some real coin on a really good one.

I know the Emma is coming out with a mkII version this year, anybody got the scuttlebutt on that?

Lucidology
04-24-2010, 04:12 PM
I have 'em both .. the SWR is much more of a rock toned autowah IMO ...
It's overall attack is softer then the Emma...
The Emma has a lot more snap & quack ...
Just a matter of preference of reference to the genre one might use it in ...

MK11 version ... really? Would like to know more about that too ..!!

ruger9
04-24-2010, 05:48 PM
So, would you say the Emma would be more "funky" (as opposed to the snow white "rock"?)

nic'o'caster
04-24-2010, 06:17 PM
The SWAW is really a strange beast. At first it seems a bit limited but the 4 controls are very interactive and after a bit of practice you can achieve different types of autowah/filter effects. It's really a fat and smooth device, very analog and liquid sounding, without any artifacts you can hear on many filters (I could not stand the Maxon because of that) but it's not as quacky as a EHX Q-Tron. I find it so fat it's almost too much, I like to put it in a wet/dry blender so I can retain the original attack of the notes.

ruger9
04-24-2010, 07:10 PM
"fat" & "smooth" are always descriptors I look for, but since I'm new to Auto-wah, I'm not really sure how much quack I want... I know the amount of quack in the AW-3 is fine, but that pedal robs all low end... making it somewhat anemic compared to the dry signal.

ruger9
04-25-2010, 03:03 PM
:bumpbump

cbpickin
04-25-2010, 03:34 PM
I had both and chose to stick with my Emma. I did experiment a lot with the SWAW. The controls are very interactive and there are a lot of sounds in the pedal, but for I could never match the top end bite and sharpness of the Emma. For funk, I think the Emma is the winner.

ruger9
04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Comparing the PGS vids, the SWAW sounds warmer/rounder than the Emma, which seems to be the opposite of what you're saying...? I'll say that I don't like high peaks... I had a CAE wah, and I LOVED the red fasel (darker), but didn't care for the yellow fasel (brighter). So I'm looking to apply that to an auto wah.

Lucidology
04-26-2010, 07:26 PM
I had both and chose to stick with my Emma. I did experiment a lot with the SWAW. The controls are very interactive and there are a lot of sounds in the pedal, but for I could never match the top end bite and sharpness of the Emma. For funk, I think the Emma is the winner.

Exactly my experience & my conclusion ...

CaptainAwesome
04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Ive tried for a few minutes to put together a paragraph that explains this, but the words elude me... So, in simple terms, the Emma is more pronounced IMO and has the "true" Funk sound. The SWAW doesn't nail this as well (from the demos i have heard), but given it's flexibility I am guessing it could get close.

I bought an Emma a few months ago and haven't researched Envelope Filters since...for the money it has my vote.

plan-x
04-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Got an Emma recently for the same reason. Bottom was dropping out of my MXR-120 auto-Q. I am very satisfied now with the Emma. Finally! An auto wah that doesn't kill my tone.

thesjkexperienc
05-15-2010, 09:11 PM
I am also trying to decide between the two and am looking for the Jerry Garcia tone (Grateful Dead) especially the song Estimated Prophet as a tone reference. I cant find a clip that shows either doing that, but I have heard the Emma is a Mutron clone(?)

Lucidology
05-15-2010, 11:04 PM
I am also trying to decide between the two and am looking for the Jerry Garcia tone (Grateful Dead) especially the song Estimated Prophet as a tone reference. I cant find a clip that shows either doing that, but I have heard the Emma is a Mutron clone(?)

The Emma hands down ... & that's coming from a Funkster

mjm59
05-15-2010, 11:19 PM
This one sounds interesting and has the Hi/Band/Lo pass filters that the Mutron has (in case you're looking for that Jerry tone, I think there's a reason it's called the Super Fatman):

qGxT8fwy_wM&feature=related

thesjkexperienc
05-15-2010, 11:54 PM
HA! I LOVE IT! I am listening to it now. Not sure why they put the DC jack in the way of a RT angle cord going into input?

I cant find a good demo of the Emma Pedal. Even on the Emma site, so maybe a version 2 is in the mix?

I have never owned a pedal of this type, so I am not too sure what I need to look for and I suppose this type of pedal(s) is THE most rig dependent of any sort.

thesjkexperienc
05-15-2010, 11:57 PM
The Emma hands down ... & that's coming from a Funkster

Thanks, I suspect someone from Monterey has a good idea of what I am talking about ;)

Lucidology
05-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks, I suspect someone from Monterey has a good idea of what I am talking about ;)

There's an actual setting to do the JC thing ...
& yeah, Jerry was a big hero of mine when I first started out ...
& then in the last few years of his life I was very fortunate enough to hang out with him several times when he would come to the Monterey/Carmel area ...

Jim Moulton
05-16-2010, 02:33 AM
I have heard that the EHX Qtrons were decent in doing Jerry stuff, Heard a dynamite version of "Estimated Prophet " tonight on a new DVD from 89 the Dead released, A show in Philly, in fact, the whole show is killer.

ruger9
05-16-2010, 08:18 AM
I cant find a good demo of the Emma Pedal. Even on the Emma site, so maybe a version 2 is in the mix?

When I first posted this thread, the Emma website said a v.2 WAS coming. But now I can find no such info on their site???

thesjkexperienc
05-16-2010, 09:15 PM
When I first posted this thread, the Emma website said a v.2 WAS coming. But now I can find no such info on their site???

It would be bad for current sales to mention a new model coming out, but who knows.

I missed out on an Emma and a SWAW tonight, so I have to sit and wait a bit longer. :cry:

Has anyone used a fuzz after the Emma Discumbobulator? I was wondering how friendly the buffer is with other pedals.

Lolaviola
05-17-2010, 05:53 AM
Hi
I have to chime in here. I have not tried the Snow White...
But I did a head-to-head comparison a while back with a few filters.
The OP says he does not like the low-end drop ...well that is exactly why I returned my Emma: it lost a bunch of low-end. The sweep range was there, but the low end was not. This was directly compared to Mutron 3, MXR vintage EF, Emma, and E-H Q-Tron. The closest to my Mutron, and for JG, was the Q-tron.

[edited to add: The Q-Tron was an old big-box that came in the wooden box.]

Staticbuster
05-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Hi
I have to chime in here. I have not tried the Snow White...
But I did a head-to-head comparison a while back with a few filters.
The OP says he does not like the low-end drop ...well that is exactly why I returned my Emma: it lost a bunch of low-end. The sweep range was there, but the low end was not. This was directly compared to Mutron 3, MXR vintage EF, Emma, and E-H Q-Tron. The closest to my Mutron, and for JG, was the Q-ron.

Was the qtron you used in this h2h an original 90s big box, mini, or micro?

Scott Whigham
05-17-2010, 07:40 AM
I tried out the WMD Super Fatman, the Q-Tron Riddle-whatever, and the Pigtronix EP2 but was never happy with any of them. I picked up the SWAW and stopped looking for EFs then. It is very natural and, when the attack is high and you pick fast notes, you almost feel as though the AW is not engaged. I love that - I play improved solo stuff on it and the tendency for a lot of EFs is to get muddy or to colorize the tone with too much treble during fast runs.

Gotta go find an Emma to try now...

thesjkexperienc
05-17-2010, 08:10 AM
A local guy has an Emma I am going to pick up soon! Hopefully today. But, I am still on the lookout for a SWAW for a reasonable price.

soli528
05-17-2010, 08:50 AM
I found that the SWAW was more dynamically reactive than the Emma. The right hand attack has a lot more effect on the sensitivity of the envelope with the SWAW from what I remember. I thought the Emma got really close to the Estimated tone.

blue_lu
05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
emma is the ticket...

lv
05-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Ruger,

Do you have a regular wah? If you liked the red inductor on the CAE you will LOVE the SWAW - the other pedal to check out is the Jacques Trinity, SWAW-like performance at much less $. Hard for me to justify $350 on the SWAW since I don't use auto-wah that often, but the SWAW has a fun factor no other pedal I've tried can match.

ruger9
05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Ruger,

Do you have a regular wah? If you liked the red inductor on the CAE you will LOVE the SWAW - the other pedal to check out is the Jacques Trinity, SWAW-like performance at much less $. Hard for me to justify $350 on the SWAW since I don't use auto-wah that often, but the SWAW has a fun factor no other pedal I've tried can match.

THANKS FOR THAT!! I DID have a CAE, and loved the red fasel. I too just can't pay $350 for the SWAW... but I think all the MP stuff is overpriced, so...

Trinity huh? That's good info... I've never heard it compared to the SWAW, and haven't seen a good demo of it yet, at least not one where it sounds like the SWAW... I might have to look into the Jacques... does it also sound alot like the red fasel CAE? My big concern is I want a full sound- especially without low-end loss- and I've been reading reviews of the Jacques and several people seem to think they are bright and/or quacky?

Lucidology
05-18-2010, 02:01 AM
THANKS FOR THAT!! I DID have a CAE, and loved the red fasel. I too just can't pay $350 for the SWAW... but I think all the MP stuff is overpriced, so...

Trinity huh? That's good info... I've never heard it compared to the SWAW, and haven't seen a good demo of it yet, at least not one where it sounds like the SWAW... I might have to look into the Jacques... does it also sound alot like the red fasel CAE? My big concern is I want a full sound- especially without low-end loss- and I've been reading reviews of the Jacques and several people seem to think they are bright and/or quacky?

If U don't like Quacky ... forget the Emma then...
I love quacky ...

ruger9
05-18-2010, 06:15 AM
yeah, not looking for too much quack, definitely like the warmer, lower-voiced wah sounds.