PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between the EH LPB-1 and Xotic EP Booster?

brewbaker
04-28-2010, 12:18 PM
I know that each manufacturer describes the circuits differently but in actuality I'm wondering how close they are. The purpose of the pedal is the same in both cases. Is one more noisy than the other? Does on just do the job better The prices are sure far apart.

Kelsey
04-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I haven't used the EHX LPB-1, but I have a high quality LPB-1 clone and the EP Booster. Both pedals add some thickening, perhaps in the lower mids for the most part. The EP Booster has a smoother high end even with the bright switch on. My LPB-1 clone does the "fuzz face" or treble booster clean-up thing, where the sound gets noticeably brighter and thinner when you roll back the volume on the guitar. In contrast, the EP Booster, like many modern FET boosters (Bad Bob, Fat Boost), has a consistent tone as you roll back on the guitar volume.

Finally, there are major differences in the input and output impedances of these designs. The EP Booster would be a much better buffer than the LPB-1. I hope that helps until somebody more knowledgeable comes along.

famousbirds
04-28-2010, 01:49 PM
For me, there's no comparison.

The main difference being that my LPB distorts pretty soon. Strumming big chords with guitar volume open adds some grit. It's not terrible, but I'd rather have my dirt pedals add dirt, and have my clean boosters be.. well, clean.

zephaniah zion
04-28-2010, 02:05 PM
For me, there's no comparison.

The main difference being that my LPB distorts pretty soon. Strumming big chords with guitar volume open adds some grit. It's not terrible, but I'd rather have my dirt pedals add dirt, and have my clean boosters be.. well, clean.
This. The LPB1 adds some dirt even at low levels of boost. It is not a bad thing but I consider it more a "volume knob rider" treble/dirty boost.
I like it.

rancid.keone
07-09-2013, 03:16 AM
I have both LPB-1 and the EP-1 and there's no comparison: EP-1 is just the winner.

I noticed the LPB-1 always distorts after about 12:00 when I use it