PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Sunglasses on Stage

darkstar11
05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Band member wearing sunglasses on stage for an evening cover band gig at the local bar/club.

Yes or no.

JPF
05-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Gotta be mirror shades, otherwise - no.

guitarman_nebr
05-09-2010, 04:51 PM
no, that went out with the Blues Brothers.

it is tacky. who is gonna take you seriously with sunglasses or Flowered Shirts?

it doesn't mean "fun and party" it comes off as "trying too hard"

dark_rainbow
05-09-2010, 04:54 PM
if they're covering ZZ Top, U2 and maybe a few other bands, then ok. Otherwise = DORK ALERT

guzman
05-09-2010, 04:55 PM
douchebaggery meets dorkiness. NO!

Mattbedrock
05-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Makes it too hard to see your tuner and pedal board.

And makes you look like a douchebag.

echoSE7EN
05-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Corey Hart attack!

mcdonaldkd
05-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Douchey, Douche, Douche. Makes your band look like it was designed by Ed Hardy.

JPF
05-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Well - maybe if you've got lots and lots of bright blue LEDs on your pedal board. You might still look dorky, but at least you'd have an excuse... Hey - I'm reaching, here, but maybe that'll cut some mustard and knowing nods from pedalfreaks and TGP technological cogniscenti. It probably won't get you laid, though.

Kyle Ashley
05-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Lots of factors to consider here:

How good is the musician?
What is the rest of his/her outfit like?
What style are the shades?
How dark are the lenses?

95% of the time it is desperate and DORKVILLE, but 5% of the time it works for the right person/look. Shades and hats are in the same category and their usage needs further qualification. For instance, if you wear a hat to cover a balding head...DORKVILLE, but if you rock a cool brim with a Detroit Lean over cool hair, you are stylin'. If you are a 100% badass player, and got your looks, physique, and wardrobe goin' on, shades will probably work.

OldSchool
05-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Not unless your playing an Arena with a massive light show or its outdoors......small bar club at night? very douchey. :dunno

RockDC
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Only in the sun... but I voted no because every time I've seen a band play with shades on I thought, "Wow do they look like a Douche!" So when I started to tour I never wore them... even in the sun I didn't wear them.

Julia343
05-09-2010, 05:45 PM
If you got a migraine, go for it. Otherwise, no. In the sun? fine.

Primakurtz
05-09-2010, 06:24 PM
If you got a migraine, go for it. Otherwise, no. In the sun? fine.

Agreed. Never assume someone in shades is trying to look cool; some of us have scotopic sensitivity disorder, migraines, etc.

That said, I try really hard to not look douchetastic by ever wearing them on stage.

Death to blue LEDs! :bitch

stevel
05-09-2010, 07:06 PM
We played outdoor Friday night with the sun aimed right in our faces. Sunglasses were mandatory.

There are far to many variables here to give a yes or no - it's only opinions.

Why are you asking? Is someone in the band wearing shades and it's bothering you?

Steve

DrSax
05-09-2010, 07:08 PM
don't care.

boynamedsuse
05-09-2010, 07:18 PM
If you need them, fine. If they are intended to be a fashion statement, no.

re-animator
05-09-2010, 07:28 PM
acceptable if you're under 30.... otherwise it reeks of poseur and even worse.... an old guy equating an arbitrary symbol with "feeling young."

the only time i've worn sunglasses on stage was fronting a "just for fun" george michael tribute band for one set.

Neer
05-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Judgmental, aren't we?

pbradt
05-09-2010, 07:31 PM
In the stated context, no.

re-animator
05-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Judgmental, aren't we?

perhaps only bitter.

coldfingaz
05-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Are you kidding me? Unless you are ZZ Top, Corey Hart or the Blues Brothers, lose the freakin' shades already!

I'm tired of all the hipster doofuses wearing them these days.

It should be noted that Bono was never part of a great record again once he started sporting shades 100% of the time onstage. Sure, he's a billionaire now & all that, but he looks ridiculous.

VanWhelan
05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Only time that it's advisable to wear sunglasses during a gig is if you're playing an outdoor gig on a very sunny day. Otherwise no sunglasses indoors & no sunglasses at night (sorry Corey Hart).

No Hawaiian shirts either

russ
05-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Making eye contact with your audience is way cooler than wearing shades...
unless you are playing outside in the sunlight.

Baminated
05-09-2010, 08:02 PM
if you have stage lights - shades are ABSOLUTELY necessary !

germs
05-09-2010, 09:04 PM
stage lights only allow me to project into the first few rows, especially with a low ceiling, like 8 feet or less above the stage height.

otherwise, as a general rule: no.

only a select handful of guys can wear shades on stage. and you don't really know until you try it, but chances are...you're not among the selected few.

and yeah, unless you "need" them, just don't.

Chill Mike D
05-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I voted "yes" in that I mean it's ok, but I don't think you have to if you don't want to.

http://swaggernotstyle.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/bono-zoo-tv.jpg

speakerjones
05-09-2010, 10:00 PM
I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that Roy Orbison > all of you.

If you can make sunglasses work for you, great. For me, it doesn't work, because I tend to make eye contact with bandmates and audience.

Chill Mike D
05-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Did someone mention Roy Orbison? (http://michaelkelly.artofeurope.com/orb1.htm)

bynt
05-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Only if you're in stevel's position. It creeps me out when I see that.

Texas_Blues
05-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Dr. Dog can pull it off, but they aren't a cover band.
http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/DR%20DOG%203.jpg

BeowulfKingsley
05-10-2010, 12:38 AM
It's all about the lights for me. Why not if you've got a few bigass lights blowing out your corneas? If it's a typical skankass dimly lit bar gig, then I won't wear 'em, the better to see you with, my dear. But I'll keep a pair in my bag just in case.

BeowulfKingsley
05-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Oh, and one more time I'll wear shades...the gig I like the least, the "NO STAGE" bar gig. What a delight those are. It almost guarantees some idiot who'll walk right up to a few feet of you and just stand there staring, or worse try to talk to you during your solo. I need a little psychic space in those situations, and sometimes I'll wear shades for those shows too.

Frankee
05-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Depends on the shades, and whether or not the guy can pull it off or not.

teleman55
05-10-2010, 03:33 AM
don't care.

Stratobuc
05-10-2010, 03:39 AM
If you're names not Roy Orbison, no.

Now if you want to take a band picture in front of a brick wall......

russ6100
05-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Some of you are a little harsh - there are legitimate reasons to wear dark shades onstage (and off).

Imagine this scenario:

1. G man notices my severely constricted pupils.
2. Armed with the state of my pupils as probably cause, he forces me to expose my arms, revealing more tracks than the B & O Railroad.
3. G man takes me downtown and I lose my cabaret card.

Now you think I'm gonna let that happen?? :nono

Catmouth
05-10-2010, 05:01 AM
I have always said, Two kinds of people wear sunglasses inside. Blind people and a$$holes.

defcrew
05-10-2010, 05:47 AM
Is it better not to wear regular glasses and have to play--literally--by feel or to wear them to compliment your graying rug with the two runways down both sides? Was it the 80s or so when folks just started walking around with shades on all the time in door and out? Michael Jackson get all that stuff going?

BadMelonFarmer
05-10-2010, 05:58 AM
I have always said, Two kinds of people wear sunglasses inside. Blind people and a$$holes.

I am with you and Larry David on that one:roll

mrkenny
05-10-2010, 06:43 AM
There's a place that I jam on Sunday afternoons, it's like a Ski Chalet, the ceiling is one big skylight. Sometimes the sun is bright so I'll wear my Ray-Ban's. Yes, I am old, wear sandles and Hawaiian shirts in the summer, I play the Blues. I've been playing for a long time and still having a blast. Do I care if you think shade look stupid? No

guitmatt
05-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Yes - BUT - I live in the tropics & do a lot of waterfront/tiki bar type gigs.:cool:

Stratobuc
05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Yes - BUT - I live in the tropics & do a lot of waterfront/tiki bar type gigs.:cool:

That's different. If you're outside - you're Grandfathered in.....

pickaguitar
05-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Just don't be a douche...wear them well and you can get away with it.

BadMelonFarmer
05-10-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't make the rules, but if I did.....

IF you are playing in the sunshine then it is acceptable to wear sunglasses.

If you are in a dark hall, it is not.

simples.

jjboogie
05-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Band member wearing sunglasses on stage for an evening cover band gig at the local bar/club.

Yes or no.

Oh woops! I voted yes originally but didn't read the initial post. For a local bar or club definitely NO!!!

SgtThump
05-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I personally think it's very dumb for a coverband musician to wear sunglasses on stage. It definitely comes across as trying too hard.

However, my all time favorite is when people put on their rockstar clothes, wear sunglasses, and whip out their best stage poses for their YouTube clips. That is ULTIMATE douchebaggery IMO.

pickaguitar
05-10-2010, 09:34 AM
However, my all time favorite is when people put on their rockstar clothes, wear sunglasses, and whip out their best stage poses for their YouTube clips. That is ULTIMATE douchebaggery IMO.
You can never be one unless you try. What if Jimi never tried?

SgtThump
05-10-2010, 10:11 AM
You can never be one unless you try. What if Jimi never tried?

How is dressing up like something you're not and posting videos on YouTube to impress people "trying?" It's not.

Getting out there and busting your butt playing in a band is trying in my book.

I have the same feelings towards the Harley guys that dress the part on the weekends trying to come across as a real "biker" when in fact, they're not.

pickaguitar
05-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Any effort made IS trying. No one has it all figured out. Jimi didn't always dress that way

Some take to the stage, some take to internet, some don't dress up and some do. There are no rules

Polynitro
05-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Its OK if the band is Roy Orbison cover or CSI Miami

SgtThump
05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Any effort made IS trying. No one has it all figured out. Jimi didn't always dress that way

Some take to the stage, some take to internet, some don't dress up and some do. There are no rules

Well, true. It is "trying" to be something their not.

Anyway, none of this is a big deal. I think it's just supposed a light conversation about something trivial. Sorry I even mentioned the goofiness of the YouTube rockstars.

saijo
05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
http://weblogs.dailypress.com/entertainment/music/pop/blog/joesatriani%5B1%5D.jpg

AirKuhl
05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Don't care. What a musician is wearing doesn't mean anything to me. As for myself, I played enough gigs with the lights blaring in my eyes that I carried a pair of shades with me, and wore them when needed.

The Golden Boy
05-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

I don't like when the glasses steam up. I don't like not being able to see clearly. I don't like sweat getting in my eyes. I don't like sunlight or bright stage lights blinding me. I don't like that hot chick knowing that I can see she's not wearing underpants under that skirt.

Ed G.
05-10-2010, 01:16 PM
They need to outlaw fat white blues dudes from wearing bowling shirts and backwards berets. The glasses only adds to the cheese.

Phil M
05-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I wore them for the first time at a gig last week, but it was during the day and they came off before the sun set.

I wouldn't wear them at night, I just don't see the need. I also don't care if someone else did though. What's the big f'ing deal?

The Golden Boy
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
What's the big f'ing deal?

You know what the big effing deal is!

coldfingaz
05-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Dr. Dog can pull it off, but they aren't a cover band.
http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/DR%20DOG%203.jpg

I saw them last summer. The band on before them was fabulous, but I left after two or three Dr. Dog tunes. I really tried, but it was unbearable. And, I can't say that their silly sunglasses didn't rub me the wrong way too... or I'd be lying.:barf

Phil M
05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
You know what the big effing deal is!

I don't think we can say it here, Dave...

yellowecho
05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/entertainment/07/11/01_bono_lgl.jpg
:barf:barf:barf:rolleyes:
no sunglasses- especially if there's no sun.
otherwise you look like a douche.
if you are a douche, please continue wearing the glasses so people know to avoid you (** see Ed Hardy, page.87)

boynamedsuse
05-10-2010, 02:08 PM
http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/entertainment/07/11/01_bono_lgl.jpg
:barf:barf:barf:rolleyes:
no sunglasses- especially if there's no sun.
otherwise you look like a douche.
if you are a douche, please continue wearing the glasses so people know to avoid you (** see Ed Hardy, page.87)
He was a lot better as an entertainer (many years past) than he is as a "star" and self-appointed social commentator.

Zero
05-10-2010, 02:09 PM
I recently got out of a cover band where two members alway wore sunglasses from the second they walked into the club until the crowd thinned out afterwards. Wore them the entire time, even on breaks in the bar. They were always pushing for everyone in the band to do this. Their theory was that it set you apart from everyone else in the bar - they will know your in the band (but do they care?). They always brought a change of clothes. Stuff like purposely ripped jeans with shiny and sparkly stuff on them.

One time we were playing "Sunglasses at Night" by C. Hart and they suggested, as a bit, everyone in the band put sunglasses on. At the time they had convinced 2 other members to wear them all the time too, so I was thinking, no one will even notice the difference! So I dug out these gigantic prank sunglasses. I mean they were huge. At least a foot wide.

cugel
05-10-2010, 02:11 PM
unless you name is lemmy, bono, garcia or orbison
i would not rec. sunglasses

jojo
05-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I recently got out of a cover band where two members alway wore sunglasses from the second they walked into the club until the crowd thinned out afterwards. Wore them the entire time, even on breaks in the bar. They were always pushing for everyone in the band to do this. Their theory was that it set you apart from everyone else in the bar - they will know your in the band (but do they care?). They always brought a change of clothes. Stuff like purposely ripped jeans with shiny and sparkly stuff on them.

:roll

OlAndrew
05-10-2010, 02:41 PM
I'll do it if the stage lights are to bright. Makes my eyes hurt, and maybe a headache in time. Other than that, no.

Stike
05-10-2010, 03:23 PM
If you really think it's cool it's not. If you rock some tacky ass Elvis shades ironically then sure.

recordist
05-10-2010, 06:15 PM
everyone should have to wear sunglasses all the time

datguytim
05-10-2010, 07:15 PM
I DON'T play in a cover band - I do play in an all-original band that tours & plays big stages in foreign countries. YES - I do wear shades on stage - RayBan Aviators - not for the whole show, just the 1st 5 or 6 songs. I also dress the part. Do I look like douchebag? Not at all. If you've got it, you've got it. Some do, some don't. (PM me an email addy & I'll send a picture from a recent tour (April) & you guys can make up yer own minds).

As for cover band guys - who cares?!? Music comes first, style comes after. I don't really care what a ham & egger playing 'Freebird' is wearing - I'm out the door anyway.

Cymbaline
05-10-2010, 10:41 PM
no, that went out with the Blues Brothers.

it is tacky. who is gonna take you seriously with sunglasses or Flowered Shirts?

it doesn't mean "fun and party" it comes off as "trying too hard"
First time I saw David Gilmour in 1984, he wore a flowered Hawaiian shirt and dark shades. (It was at Cal Expo in Sacramento, and the stage faced west, into the setting sun.)

musicofanatic5
05-11-2010, 12:34 AM
There's a place that I jam on Sunday afternoons, it's like a Ski Chalet, the ceiling is one big skylight. Sometimes the sun is bright so I'll wear my Ray-Ban's. Yes, I am old, wear sandles and Hawaiian shirts in the summer, I play the Blues. I've been playing for a long time and still having a blast. Do I care if you think shade look stupid? No

Me neither. Whatta buncha schmucks that are so self-important as to think they have a say in what how a real musician accessorizes. Or were y'all referring to fake musicians...?