PDA

View Full Version : What's Home Depot's return policy for purchases that go on sale 5 days later?

geoangus
05-17-2010, 05:42 PM
I picked up a mower Saturday - today I receive a coupon in the mail for 10% off purchases between 5/20 - 5/26. Will they refund me the 10%? Will I have to physically return the mower and purchase it back? Or can I just bring in the receipt?

I'll call HD later, but wondered if anyone here knew.

Thanks

ACfixer
05-17-2010, 05:45 PM
They should take care of you without a problem. My guess is you go in with the receipt and that coupon and get your 10% back.

Trout
05-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Back about 10 years ago I took A job with Home Depot over the winter between jobs.
They told us about their no quibble return policy as being the best in the industry.

The guy training us spoke of a customer who bought a mower every spring, used it all summer and then returned it each fall to buy a snow-blower for winter.
The story was the guy did it every season for several years. Back then, they even took products in return they never even sold!
I imagine policy has changed since then somewhat, but generally they are very easy going on returns.

Bryan316
05-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Go get a price adjustment. If not, return it, then KEEP it and go re-buy it! I've done that before to spite shady, bitter managers, heh heh.

Luke
05-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Of course the rub being they charged it back on the manufacturer, they were not eating these loses. It's easy to be easy when it is someone else's money.

Back about 10 years ago I took A job with Home Depot over the winter between jobs.
They told us about their no quibble return policy as being the best in the industry.

The guy training us spoke of a customer who bought a mower every spring, used it all summer and then returned it each fall to buy a snow-blower for winter.
The story was the guy did it every season for several years. Back then, they even took products in return they never even sold!
I imagine policy has changed since then somewhat, but generally they are very easy going on returns.

Roadeye
05-17-2010, 07:11 PM
call em.

geoangus
05-22-2010, 06:11 AM
I had a one week window, which I made to the day, for the price protection.

scottlr
05-22-2010, 08:59 AM
If they won't you can always do what my wife does in that situation. Go buy another one at the sale price, then return it unused the next day with the old receipt. She does this all the time when they don't honor the sale price. In fact one store made her do it that way in order to get the sale price on a sewing machine last year.

MuseCafeChris
05-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Go get a price adjustment. If not, return it, then KEEP it and go re-buy it! I've done that before to spite shady, bitter managers, heh heh.
What's shady and bitter about not honoring a sale price that wasn't in effect a few days ago?

guitarpkr67
05-22-2010, 10:18 AM
What's shady and bitter about not honoring a sale price that wasn't in effect a few days ago?

If they have a return policy that's more than 5 days and they will not refund the difference, that's very shady and bitter. It's no different than returning it and buying it again at the sale price. It's actually easier on both parties. If they don't honor the return policy they are shady at best.

hamstrat
05-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Maybe it's just me but I really don't understand the concept of going back to get a refund on something that was not on sale when you bought it but, a week later it goes on sale.

Where do you expect the line to be drawn? A week? A month? 90 days?

When you bought it you thought you got a square deal. If a retailer raised his price by 25% and he called you and said come in and pay the difference, would you? Often the retailer is getting a rebate during a certain period and they actually lose money refunding like that. Who pays? The "ethical" people that don't go back and aren't so anal as to be checking prices weeks after purchasing an item.

Silly rant I know. But there is not enough money in the world to get me to work in retail. Did it once, no more.

Joe Dirt
05-22-2010, 10:40 AM
It didn't go on "sale" you got a coupon in the mail. most of those read "not valid for previous purchase"

scottlr
05-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Maybe it's just me but I really don't understand the concept of going back to get a refund on something that was not on sale when you bought it but, a week later it goes on sale.

When you bought it you thought you got a square deal. If a retailer raised his price by 25% and he called you and said come in and pay the difference, would you? Often the retailer is getting a rebate during a certain period and they actually lose money refunding like that. Who pays? The "ethical" people that don't go back and aren't so anal as to be checking prices weeks after purchasing an item.

Silly rant I know. But there is not enough money in the world to get me to work in retail. Did it once, no more.

Most bigger stores have policy in place for this type of situation. As a wise consumer, one should do this if the store policy allows. Why not? It's no different than using a coupon.

MuseCafeChris
05-22-2010, 11:23 AM
If they have a return policy that's more than 5 days and they will not refund the difference, that's very shady and bitter. It's no different than returning it and buying it again at the sale price. It's actually easier on both parties. If they don't honor the return policy they are shady at best.
Agreed. I guess my issue is with the policy, which the big box stores instituted because they can absorb the hit. It's bullshit. I'm with hamstrat on this one.

guitarpkr67
05-22-2010, 11:33 AM

However long the return policy is, obviously. After that they have no obligation to do anything.

guitarpkr67
05-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Agreed. I guess my issue is with the policy, which the big box stores instituted because they can absorb the hit. It's bullshit. I'm with hamstrat on this one.

It's not really a policy. In order for them to do away with it they would have to do away with return policies. I'm definitely not down with that.