PDA

View Full Version : Finishing with TRU OIL question

phantasm
05-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm finishing a guitar with Tru Oil and have already put a few coats on- looks great, however, i'd like to change the color.
Right now it's a plain quilted maple.
What's the easiest most effective way to add a color?
Can i add a dye to liquid Tru Oil and apply it? If so, what dye should i use? I want a transparent color so the figure in the wood is still visible.

I thought about adding powdered RIT dye to the Tru Oil and i'm certainly not above going to Home Depot for a colored stain- i don't want to have to order anything online since i'd like to be able to knock this out when i get home from work tonight.

jaydawg76
05-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Yes you can add a tint to the Tru Oil. Something like this would work well- http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/ColorTone_Concentrated_Liquid_Stain.html

The problem is going to be getting even coverage when applying it by hand. It will tent to look blotchy. I would do some test on a piece of scrap first. It might be better to sand the guitar back down to raw wood then apply the color.

Terry McInturff
05-18-2010, 09:35 AM
The challenge being that resins now reside in the wood from the Tru Oil that will likely prevent a successful sandback/stain. You could try sanding back followed by an acetone wash. The soft areas will likely not stain evenly now.

Remember...if you use a dye that is soluable in Tru Oil then you may be heading for a big mess. The dye may bleed, get moved around by successive Tru Oil coats, etc. If that happens you will have a lot of Tru Oil in the wood and another try will be even harder!

Your best bet is to be patient and do it right the first time. I know it's hard to wait!

If I were you Id practice on scrap. Try sanding all of the Tru Oil off, followed by plenty of acetone in an effort to get it out of the pores. Be aware that acetone will destroy any plastic parts, binding, inlay, etc etc.

Next step is raising the grain-sanding back prior to staining.

Then get your color via water soluable aniline dye on the bare wood. Flow it on nice and wet via a cube of sponge. Keep it wet and keep moving...then wipe off all of the excess. Let it dry for a few days and then start Tru-Oiling.

Avoid Rit as it will fade. Avoid leather dye for the same reason. A stain from Home Depot will actually be a pigment and will not be water-clear. Big Topic.
Practise on scrap...my advise is from an informed guess...Ive never actually done a Tru Oil finish.

phantasm
05-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm not too concerned with the blotch factor since i'll most likely do many thin coats of the tint.
Thanks for the info. I figured it could be tinted, just not sure with what.

Terry McInturff
05-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm not too concerned with the blotch factor since i'll most likely do many thin coats of the tint.
Thanks for the info. I figured it could be tinted, just not sure with what.

If you follow my advise, you'll apply the color in ONE PASS.

phantasm
05-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks Terry- i think i'm too far along to sand it all back and start again.
Cool to know about washing it down with acetone too for when i mess up in thye future. Ha!
This is more of a test guitar, so it's not for a customer and it doesn't need to be perfect.

Tru Oil is a quick and interesting finish. Check it out sometime. Great for necks!

Terry McInturff
05-18-2010, 09:43 AM
I cant guarantee that the acetone will do the job if Tru Oil becomes cross-linked when dry.

Quarter
05-18-2010, 11:49 AM
A while back I mailed Birchwood Casey about adding dye to True Oil as a tinting agent and they advised against it, YMMV and testing on scrap first is the best advice.

Tesla_Energy
05-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm finishing a guitar with Tru Oil and have already put a few coats on- looks great, however, i'd like to change the color.
Right now it's a plain quilted maple.
What's the easiest most effective way to add a color?
Can i add a dye to liquid Tru Oil and apply it? If so, what dye should i use? I want a transparent color so the figure in the wood is still visible.

I thought about adding powdered RIT dye to the Tru Oil and i'm certainly not above going to Home Depot for a colored stain- i don't want to have to order anything online since i'd like to be able to knock this out when i get home from work tonight.

i've had sucksex with colortone stains mixed with tru-oil

dougk
05-19-2010, 10:49 PM
i've had sucksex with colortone stains mixed with tru-oil

I'm sorry but is sucksex new slang for failure?

I've tried this once before and it didn't really work out.

Tesla_Energy
05-19-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry but is sucksex new slang for failure?

I've tried this once before and it didn't really work out.

oops, success

dougk
05-19-2010, 11:33 PM
oops, success

Don't stress, I think I'm going to trademark sucksex as my new term :dude:facepalm:roll:roll:roll

Tesla_Energy
05-20-2010, 01:01 PM
first i stained the plate black
then i sanded down
then did a few coats of tru-oil, un-tinted
then added red stain to the tru-oil
i think the red stain actually stained the wood though
i'll do another plate cover and do a sealer-coat, and a few more coats of tru-oil, so that the tinted tru-oil layer wont stain the wood

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0db01b3127ccefa7d1de5a3c100000030O00EZtWbdo3aMQ e3nwo/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

phantasm
05-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I might still try doing this, but i might just leave it plain maple.
The next one i'll stain first- i was just in a hurry to get this one done and decided i wanted to stain it after i already started the finish.

There should be more threads involving suck sex.