PDA

View Full Version : Ever stay up all night for 2 nights in a row? Or more?

phoenix 7
05-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Had a major writing project due today and I finished it around noon. As of noon today (Friday) I had not slept since Tuesday. And I probably slept only about 4 hours per night for the 2 nights before that. So between Sunday and Friday, I'd gotten maybe 8-10 hours of sleep. :messedup

Judging from how our bottled water level dropped, I believe I drank gallons of coffee over the last 3 days. My blood is probably brown. The strange thing is that my mind continued to function pretty sharply. But there were a number of times when I felt like I could pass out from exhaustion if I wasn't careful.

It's not that I procrastinated on this project -- I'd been working on it for over a year. But I tend to go into hyper-overdrive mode when I'm really into something, especially when it's almost done. If I don't get to sleep much, so be it.

Went to bed around 1 PM today and slept until about 9:30 PM. Got up tonight and had breakfast. Still feel kind of screwed up.

Ever stay up for 2 nights in a row or more?

TwoTubMan
05-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Six days once. It wasn't fun. I have extreme sleep issues anyway.

phoenix 7
05-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Six days once. It wasn't fun. I have extreme sleep issues anyway.

Holy crap, 2TM! I imagine 6 days would mess you up pretty severely.

schmidlin
05-21-2010, 11:08 PM
I drove 36 hours straight once. Does that count?

(hello arizona thru atlanta, don't ask)

Entropy
05-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Friday to Monday a few years ago in Vegas.

phoenix 7
05-21-2010, 11:13 PM
I drove 36 hours straight once. Does that count?

(hello arizona thru atlanta, don't ask)

Hmm - wondering if the police or a woman were somehow involved.... :D

SLBlues
05-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Used to do that pretty regularly when I was involved in racing back in the 70's and early 80's. Finally got enough help we could just pull half days (12 hours) most of the time.

Bergle
05-21-2010, 11:17 PM
4 days. Pulled it off once, when I was in high school. By the end I had developed a philosophy of life based around lessons learned while playing Tetris. Not recommended.

Mr. E.
05-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Lots of times. Even when I don't completely stay up, I rarely get more than 4 hours sleep a night, usually closer to 2. But I have skipped 2 nights in a row a lot.

Lifelong insomniac. Meds don't work. Lucy, lucky me.

m@2
05-21-2010, 11:18 PM
i unfortunately have 2-3 sleepless nights a month... and have gone a couple days. To me it's like having a hangover without drinking.... i drop things, and have a lot of trouble focusing

jcmark611
05-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I think I stayed up 64 hours once... well I did nap while at work... on a moving train.... while driving it.

hank57
05-21-2010, 11:23 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/Keedspills.jpg

phoenix 7
05-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Okay. "CAFFEINE", you bet. We know only "legal" drugs were used. Glad to hear a shining example for the kids has been upheld.

Wow - you and the "illegal drugs".... :rotflmao

schmidlin
05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Hmm - wondering if the police or a woman were somehow involved.... :D
yes. Please don't ask further.

Armchair Bronco
05-21-2010, 11:52 PM
I was up for close to 60+ hours once working on some kind of business proposal in 1991. I remember when my girlfriend (now my wife) was driving me home to our apartment in Budapest when I finally decided to call it quits and get some sleep. I remember thinking in the car "Man, as soon as I get undressed and hit the bed, I'm going to fall deep asleep in under a minute!" And I did.

I think I slept for 20 hours straight.

Glenn D.
05-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Company XO, ARTEP. Six days, one hour of sleep in the morning. Seriously non-combat ready.

Hwoltage
05-22-2010, 12:33 AM
I had someone tell me years ago that they had once stayed up for 7 days straight and never left the front porch (obviously under the influence of a this or that) and told me, "Man rocks tell the greatest stories though!! You know why??!?"
"Uhh why"
"Because they've been around the longest man!!!" :messedup

RocksOff
05-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Many times. Stint in the Navy... training followed by a few more years of extended operations when it wouldn't be prudent to sleep. Then a few years partying hard playing in a band that was VERY busy. Fortunately, my military training taught me how to stay awake and still function! Has its benefits in a rock and roll band. Just a note: you have to catch up eventually, but fight the urge to catch up all at once. It can really throw your cognitive processes out of whack.

EADGBE
05-22-2010, 01:35 AM
I haven't. And that's something I would never want to do.

banjoze
05-22-2010, 01:41 AM
I once went from Sunday to Thursday evening with 14 hours sleep while attending college. Me and my partner were working on our comp. sci. final project that supposed to take 6 weeks and a team of 6 to do.... He slept 4 hours. Neither of us did any drugs beyond lots of coffee and sodas.

When I finally went to bed I slept 24 hours straight and woke up with the flu. Nasty stuff, very bad for the body.

bluesjuke
05-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Remember that thread about the guy that claimed to not have eaten in 70 years?

.....somebody had to watch him.

SmilingDave
05-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Back when I was back in college, mass quantities of caffeine helped me stay awake for 72 hours during finals week. After finally getting the chance to sleep, my room mates told me that they accidentally woke me after a couple of hours and I "got on all fours, growled like a dog, and then laid back down"--I don't remember it, but that was the last time I tried to stay up for days at a time.

tonedaddy
05-22-2010, 04:49 AM
I once stayed up for 6 days for a work project, no sleep/naps.
What was strange is that by about the 3rd-4th day, I was less tired than day 2.

By the 5th day, I had this fleeting thought that, "Hey, I think it might be possible to live without sleep."
Once the project was finished, my body told me, "No, you can't."
;)

charveldan
05-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Cocaine.

Teleplayer
05-22-2010, 05:44 AM
Never did it all night.

However, when my dog was going through the last three weeks of her life, her health was failing. I was up with her nearly the entire time, except an hour here and an hour there of sleep. I don't think I strung together three straight hours of sleep more than once or twice during that period.

I spoke with a close friend about this after she passed, and asked him if he noticed a change in my behavior during that period. He said "no". When I told him what she went through and what I went through with her, he was astounded.

The combination of: lack of sleep, stress and the feeling of utter helplessness as I watched her go through her final days was really difficult.

bluesjunior
05-22-2010, 05:44 AM
As a young trawlerman in the 60's I often went over 36hrs of non stop working. The most I ever did though was 56hrs straight on a three day trip when we hit big fishing straight from the off. I remember walking home with my crewmate after landing and we were having a conversation about something. The next day after catching up with my sleep I met my crewmate and we went for a drink. On walking into the pub another of our buddies asked us what language we had been talking when he had passed us the day before. As we only spoke English in our local Scots dialect we had no idea what he was talking about until realising we had been so tired we were just talking gobbledegook which only we could understand. True story. http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon10.gif

Doodad
05-22-2010, 05:46 AM
I used to work emergency response to hazwaste spills. The longest I stayed up was three days on a train derailment in SC. Busy the whole time too. Finally made it to a hotel the last night. Woke up to what I thought was the following morning and found I had slept an entire day.

Bo Faulkner
05-22-2010, 05:52 AM
I once went 8 days without even laying down... I nearly died.

cram
05-22-2010, 05:58 AM
3.5 - 4 days. I'm foggy on the detail actually, but it was more than three and a half.
no drugs.
- there were other adrenal methods available.

CyberFerret
05-22-2010, 06:11 AM
I hope you guys realise that sleep deprivation is a form of torture! :)

I've never gone more than about 36 hours without sleep. I guess I love my sleep too much.. :bonk

VintageKnob
05-22-2010, 06:51 AM
A number of times, mostly had to do with bands and or band mate fun.
Friday night would be awesome, sometimes by Saturday night, a bit foggy.

That was some time ago.

- D

enigma
05-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Yes. Participated in a 48 hr. dance marathon in college. Went to school the next day, but the following day I slept for 14 hrs!

scottlr
05-22-2010, 08:29 AM
During the summer in jr high, I'd stay up from Friday through Sunday almost every weekend.

Lots of times when I was on the road, we'd get done playing and tear down/load up and hit the road to the next gig. Left Minot ND at 5am Sunday morning and got to the next gig late Monday morning just in time to set up, clean up and play until 1am. We did that a lot.

Bob Longo
05-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I am a contractor and I lay pipe. When we do projects that include crossings of major roadways with a pipeline, we work 24 hours in continuous 8 hour shifts, until they're completed. We once did a 42 mile, 6 foot diamter pipeline and it crossed MANY major intersections. Most of them were 24-36 hours, done. One crossing went horribly wrong due to sewer line collapsing, water mains breaking, uncharted electric lines etc..it was a disaster. I was on site for about 60 hours straight. It was painful.
I remember driving 30 minutes home after that was very dangerous.

Bob Longo
05-22-2010, 09:39 AM
I once went 8 days without even laying down... I nearly died.

Not doubting you, but how in the heck did you do that??? I didn't know that was even possible!!

twinrider1
05-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Once.....
http://www.ibiblio.org/GameBytes/issue19/greviews/ufo2.gif

driver8
05-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Not doubting you, but how in the heck did you do that??? I didn't know that was even possible!!

After the first few days, it doesn't really get much worse. I once had a bad reaction to an SSRI and didn't sleep for about 3 weeks. Some days I would lie down in the afternoon and catch a nap for about 20 minutes, but as soon as I would drift off to actual sleep I would wake up with a start and that would be it for a few days. I tried every kind of sleep herb that exists - valerian, hops, skullcap, chamomile - drugs like xanax, ambien, etc. Nothing worked. One night I was so desperate I took 50mg of melatonin. Didn't phase me. Thankfully the insomnia gradually subsided, but while it was going on it was like something out of the X-Files. I just couldn't go to sleep.

Hwoltage
05-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Once.....
http://www.ibiblio.org/GameBytes/issue19/greviews/ufo2.gif

Is that Infantry?

wstsidela
05-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Back in my drug days...

twinrider1
05-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Is that Infantry?

X-Com: UFO Defense. The only computer game that ever made me lose track of time and space. Best game ever.