PDA

View Full Version : Klon vs Tim vs Timmy vs OCD vs ?

Walsh Guitars
05-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Hello all,

So I am currently on the hunt for the next pedal. I currently own a Klon and it sounds amazing but I am a little bothered by the mid hump...yes there is a mid hump despite what some may say. With that in mind, I thought I would bring it before you guys to see what you think. I want a dynamic and transparent overdrive that pairs well with other pedals and is quiet. I have heard great things about the Tim and Timmy by Paul Cochrane and I have own a couple OCDs at one time or another.

But what are your thoughts? Which should I get or should I just stay with my Klon? Or shoot, I could keep the Klon and get one of these too. Or is there another pedal you might recommend?

For giggles here is my current pedal setup:
Ernie Ball Volume w/Boss TU2 from the tuner out--RMC 2 Wah--Jekeko fixed wah--MA Audio Boost 'n Buff--Klon--Morgan Amplification Shadow Fuzz--Xotic RC Booster--Electro Harmonix POG--Empress tap tempo tremelo--Electro Harmonix Holy Grail--Damage Control Timeline Delay with a MIDI out to the Rocktron MidiMate--Radial ABY switch--Morgan Amplification AC20 and 1965 Blackface Bassman into a 2 1x12 cabs (one loaded with a Celestion Gold and one loaded with an ASW Elegante) :beer

ES330
05-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I had a TIM pedal, but parted with it after I got the Honey Bee.
The HB works great stacked with other pedals.

Walsh Guitars
05-22-2010, 03:07 PM
I had a TIM pedal, but parted with it after I got the Honey Bee.
The HB works great stacked with other pedals.

Yea, you know I have looked into those pedals and i haven't been super amazed by them. They seem a bit thin and trebley to me. I like the idea of the TIM because I have have a light/medium drive on the right and a bit heavier on the left. It also seems to be quite transparent.

buddachile
05-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Sounds to me like a Timmy would be a good option 'cause it lacks the mid hump. I personally love the Klon mid hump. The Timmy really is great if you want dynamics. It's the best way of making it sound like the amp volume is turned up a bit without actually turning the amp volume up.

Walsh Guitars
05-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Sounds to me like a Timmy would be a good option 'cause it lacks the mid hump. I personally love the Klon mid hump. The Timmy really is great if you want dynamics. It's the best way of making it sound like the amp volume is turned up a bit without actually turning the amp volume up.

Thanks for the headsup. That is exactly what I have been hearing about the TIM and Timmy. By the way, how are you liking that Fargen amp of yours? He has done some great mods for me in the past.

macmax77
05-22-2010, 03:28 PM
my Tim pedal belongs inside my Heart!
I love it to death!

sick1982
05-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't go for an OCD(v4) because of the bass boost and lack of treble; I'm really disappointed in this pedal. I'd take a look at the Tone Freak Naked OD or the Timmy.

Guitarnotsoguru
05-22-2010, 04:17 PM
The Klon (I have 2 of them and I probably won't part with them) was my first "high end" overdrive and when I got it............it knocked my socks off! Currently, they sit in a drawer all tucked away. I'm sure I will rediscover it someday. However, I do really like my Tim and Timmy too, but they are tucked away. I guess I am in Dumble mode now. I picked up a couple of Menatone Howie pedals. I really like their overdrive. I also like OCD V4 (I do have V1, V2 and V3 tucked away as well). I also picked up a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive and A Rockbox Boiling Point just came in today as well. Many options out there......

Walsh Guitars
05-22-2010, 04:30 PM
The Klon (I have 2 of them and I probably won't part with them) was my first "high end" overdrive and when I got it............it knocked my socks off! Currently, they sit in a drawer all tucked away. I'm sure I will rediscover it someday. However, I do really like my Tim and Timmy too, but they are tucked away. I guess I am in Dumble mode now. I picked up a couple of Menatone Howie pedals. I really like their overdrive. I also like OCD V4 (I do have V1, V2 and V3 tucked away as well). I also picked up a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive and A Rockbox Boiling Point just came in today as well. Many options out there......

How do you like the Landgraff DO and the Rockbox Boiling Point? I have heard good things. Aren't they very similar pedals? Pricey though!

tnt365
05-22-2010, 06:16 PM
I keep telling people SRB808+ Original or Dual drive. After trying many ODs from low/med/high gain territories, IMO it has it all there. I'll have to make a demo or something...

Shnook
05-22-2010, 06:20 PM
I've owned three of the four pedals mentioned. For the record, I've not had the pleasure of owning a Klon. That said, I've had a Tim on my board since 2004. OCD was fine...but long gone. No need for a Timmy when Tim just does a little more. NO mid hump with the Tim.

Frankenstrat86
05-22-2010, 06:41 PM
TIM I love it

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cHOrpR0P2t0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cHOrpR0P2t0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Guitarnotsoguru
05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
How do you like the Landgraff DO and the Rockbox Boiling Point? I have heard good things. Aren't they very similar pedals? Pricey though!

Yes, I would say that the Landgraff and the Boiling point are similar. Both are awesome in their own right. The Rockbox has to be more versatile due to the extra toggle and they make big differences flipping them around. I bought the Rockbox and I received the Landgraff in a trade deal. For about $50 less, go with the Rockbox.

mad dog
05-23-2010, 07:38 AM
I had one of the first Klons. Had it for years. An excellent pedal for sure, but I ended up searching for more. Ran into several clean boosts I preferred, the Burriss Boostier and RC Boost namely, finally ended up with the TIM. TIM trumps anything else, at least for me. My lingering curiosity about other clean boosts and OD pedals remain, not because I really need one.
MD

reentune
05-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Be sure to check out the NOC3 Pure Drive.
It's Blend control makes it just the most-bestest OD around (for me).
And there's a tourbox going around. So just contact Nick and try it for free!
Sure to impress.

bsic
05-23-2010, 07:48 AM
I had a klon, it was cool, but not magic for me. I *do* want a mid hump for a solo boost, helps you cut thru. May not sound great in your bedroom, but live in a band setting a mid boost can be beneficial!!

Danny F
05-23-2010, 07:50 AM
I bounce between Klon and Analogman KOT - KOT definitely lacks the mids of the klon, but the klon is magic with single coils and 10 inch speakers. I'll keep both and actually hope to get a second, less collectible Klon soon (wihtout the horsey and years on my current box) but the KOT is my old standby.

ES330
05-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Yea, you know I have looked into those pedals and i haven't been super amazed by them. They seem a bit thin and trebley to me. I like the idea of the TIM because I have have a light/medium drive on the right and a bit heavier on the left. It also seems to be quite transparent.

I agree, the HB is thin into a clean channel.
However, it's the perfect pedal in the dirty channel
or stacking after another OD.

Kinda like salt by itself isn't very tasty,
but it does make other stuff taste better.

buddachile
05-23-2010, 11:27 AM
...By the way, how are you liking that Fargen amp of yours? He has done some great mods for me in the past.

The Fargen is working great for me. It records very well, takes dirt pedals very well, and the power scaling is awesome. I don't have a 4x12 but the two times I plugged my Fargen into one it sounded amazing. If money were no object I would get a 4x12 with Scumbacks, but as it is I can't justify spending the cash for a rig I'm going to be too lazy to lug around.

Walsh Guitars
05-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Yes, I would say that the Landgraff and the Boiling point are similar. Both are awesome in their own right. The Rockbox has to be more versatile due to the extra toggle and they make big differences flipping them around. I bought the Rockbox and I received the Landgraff in a trade deal. For about $50 less, go with the Rockbox.

Tonewise which do you like more? I am really digging that Rockbox. It wasn't in my wish list but it most definitely is now.

The OCD is officially out. I want to like it but it just doesn't do it for me.

Walsh Guitars
05-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Be sure to check out the NOC3 Pure Drive.
It's Blend control makes it just the most-bestest OD around (for me).
And there's a tourbox going around. So just contact Nick and try it for free!
Sure to impress.

Yea, thats a nice little pedal. I might have to contact him to see if I can try it out.

Guitarnotsoguru
05-23-2010, 09:23 PM
With a few hours of chops under my belt with the rockbox bp............it's a keeper. You know the first time you step on the switch whether you like it or not............and me likey!!!!

Tonewise which do you like more? I am really digging that Rockbox. It wasn't in my wish list but it most definitely is now.

The OCD is officially out. I want to like it but it just doesn't do it for me.

Walsh Guitars
05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
With a few hours of chops under my belt with the rockbox bp............it's a keeper. You know the first time you step on the switch whether you like it or not............and me likey!!!!

So I think I am going to go with the Rockbox. Does it have a lot of gain on tap? I think I am going to keep my Klon for slighty dirty gain and pursue the Boiling Point for chunky leads. I want something that can palm mute well but isn't TOO saturated...still keeps its clarity even at higher levels of gain. Will the BP do this?

Mapleneck
05-25-2010, 12:56 PM
If you want something that sounds great in a mix, you might like the Hotcake. Much like the Klon, it shines in its true environment. On stage, at volume, in a mix. I can't stop playing mine.

Griz
05-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Fairfield Barbershop OD.

It doesn't do what a Klon does. But it may be what you're looking for if you want a boost with just a bit of added grit, that still sounds like your guitar but has no mid hump.

Mine is "always on".

Cheers

:aok

drbob1
05-25-2010, 09:04 PM
I did enjoy the Pure Drive, still thinking of buying one. However, I wouldn't sell the Klon. It does what it does better than anything, and they're not making any more of them... The Tim/Timmy is VERY different than the Klon, it has no mid hump, great EQ, very transparent but it has a different, more jagged flavor of OD to my ears. While I love it, it's not my very favorite OD in all the world. That's still the place of my Zendrive. I don't use it for Dumble stuff, I use it for a low gain, very transparent, very flexible overdrive. It plays well with Fenders, with Marshalls and Voxes, like to stack with other ODs, isn't fussy about single or humbuckers... I actually own two.

Walsh Guitars
05-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Well guys I ended up going with the Rockbox Boiling Point. I tried it out earlier today and it ripped my face off...almost literally.

It is by far the most amazing and versatile overdrive/distortion I have ever played. So real and amp-like. Just blew me away. That coupled with my Klon is an unstoppable force of tone. Sooo good.

I can officially rest easy tonight. ;)

sick1982
05-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Well guys I ended up going with the Rockbox Boiling Point. I tried it out earlier today and it ripped my face off...almost literally.

I hate you! Now I also want to buy one! :bitch

marsos52
05-28-2010, 04:10 PM
i have been thru klon, landgraff, zendrive, barbershop, tim and many others

the klon and tim combo is what is left on my board..seems to cover all my overdrive wants and needs

the landgraff was awesome but after a few years i go tired of it. the zen was great but i only liked it when playing really loud and i liked it better with humbucking guitars
and i only use single coils.. the barbershop i loved from the gitt-go but ki hated its layout, i was so difficult placing it on my board (the inputs and outputs jacks)
but tone wise it is up there with the best of them...

so dont sell your klon ..just add another with it

pavlov
05-28-2010, 04:16 PM
I personally like my BB Preamp more than the Tim. I borrowed a Tim for a few months but rarely used it after the first few weeks.

Walsh Guitars
05-28-2010, 05:05 PM
so dont sell your klon ..just add another with it

Don't worry, the Klon isn't going anywhere. It is a great combination with my Boiling Point. Plus its a classic now ;)

gretsch22
05-29-2010, 11:23 PM
You know what you need to try if you are looking for something like a Tim... try out the King of Tone by analog man. It retains your natural tone and is transparent. Take a look and tell me what you think.

whiteop
05-30-2010, 12:27 AM
if Paul could only put those Tims and Timmy's out faster he'd be a multi-millionaire in no time flat

gitfiddler
05-30-2010, 10:03 AM
I yet to be able to try a Klon but have owned many of the high end pedals. As far as the KOT and OCD I was not impressed with them. Good pedals but Did not blow me away. The Tim on the other hand is top notch and if you like the sound of your rig without pedals and have worked as hard as i have to get that good sound you'll love the Tim! With the strong eq on the Tim you can cover sooo much ground! I wil mention one other pedal that blows my mind and that's the Pro Analog Dual Drive! Both of these pedals have a presence and thickness that sound like a amp not a pedal.

fenderman1379
06-02-2010, 06:45 PM
What about the Lovepedal Kalamazoo? Seems like it is pretty close to a Klon if you ask me.

southpaw pete
06-02-2010, 09:06 PM
The Visual Sound Open Road is also a very transparent overdrive.

dohootowl
06-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Has anyone mentioned Tim or Timmy?! I jest, but good gosh, with the right settings on your amp and the Tim, it's pure bliss.

dbeeman
06-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Timmy is a very natural sounding boost or OD. You can dial it in to sound a but Klonish - not quite there, but similar. I changes out ODs, but always have the Timmy on board

Realfi
06-02-2010, 09:39 PM
What about the Lovepedal Kalamazoo? Seems like it is pretty close to a Klon if you ask me.

We're lucky enough to rehearse & record at a wonderful recording studio up the road from my house and last night I decided to run some comparisons between a bunch of pedals I've been giving myself option anxiety with!

The pedals on comparion were:-

A new Timmy with the external toggle fitted with my fave LM1458 opamp. I also have an older hand wired model but I just got this one from Paul so I've been trying it lately.
My Klon. Along with a Timmy this has been one of my board constants since '06.
A ProAnalog Dual Drive v2
A King of Tone v4 with high-gain red side mod.
A Lovepedal Kalamazoo
These tests were done with the assistance of the studio owner/engineer at gig/recording volume with my CS tele with GVCG Lollar pickups and my AC30.

Pedals were tried on their own running off batteries straight into the amp & at various voltages from supplies in the case of the K-zoo and the Dual Drive and, in various combinations to see how they interracted as I tried to come up with a configuration for some shows I have coming up.

We tried to find what we thought each pedal did best, how we thought each one might be best used for me, and also attempted to clone the sounds of both the Timmy and The Klon which are the two that I've used for a long time and know the best.

It was a really interesting exercise and one that leads me to heartily recommend the Kalamazoo. This pedal is great value, looks beautiful and doesn't have a huge wait time.

The K-zoo could be dialled quite close to the Klon. Close enough for a number of uses I'd say. For me it still doesn't quite capture that low-mid thing the Klon does which has always reminded me of putting signal through a Neve or something. The K-zoo's top end though is excellent like the Klon in that it can be dialled to be really "present" and fat without becoming painful. It can get much closer to the Klon than the Timmy can if that's what you're after.

The Timmy is still the most transparent to me with my AC30. Nothing for me matches it for what I'd call a Tom Petty style jangle/crunch tone. The K-zoo is always a little more coloured but still can be excellent in this regard. The K-zoo has a little more fullness and is a little more dynamic in touch response, the Timmy a little more open and transparent.

The Dual Drive and King of Tone were excellent too in a number of ways but for now my board will be featuring the Timmy, Kalamazoo and Klon.

My advice is to buy a Kalamazoo now and get on the list for a Timmy. Both are bargains, they complement each other really well & stack really well together which surprised me as I'm not a big stacker of pedals

D0S3
06-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah I put my name in for a Tim yesterday. Have a K'zoo and I like it.

Realfi
06-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah I put my name in for a Tim yesterday. Have a K'zoo and I like it.

How do you lke the Effectrode out of interest?

D0S3
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
How do you lke the Effectrode out of interest?

Of all my OD/Distortion pedals its my number one. Huge headroom and solid sweet crunch. I use the stock tubes. I tried swapping some of the tubes out and I find the stock set up is my favorite. You can dial it down for a boost or put over the top for some major distortion.

phoenix 7
06-03-2010, 01:39 AM
I have a Klon, Timmy and an OCD. Never cared for the Klon's OD, but love its clean boost. The OCD is great, especially with my tweed Deluxe, but the winner for me is the Timmy.

10strings
09-23-2010, 12:21 AM

I am giving this a try... : )

neville5000
09-23-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm on the list for a Timmy, loved the Klon with my Super - not with my EL84 amp, didn't like the OCD.

10strings
03-22-2011, 05:30 PM

How does the Open Road compare with the Tim... I had an open road and sold it. Lookng for something open and transparent. I have a Lovepedal fuse I like the middle clipping stage because brings out palm mutting, picking, and strumming for some reason more than just a bost. Dose the Tim have similar clippng stages? Can you increase trebel on the Tim or just take out frequencies only?
Thanks

Pedal Dan
03-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Ya forgot the Kramer OD1! It's got a JRC4558.

southpaw pete
03-22-2011, 06:40 PM
How does the Open Road compare with the Tim... I had an open road and sold it. Lookng for something open and transparent. I have a Lovepedal fuse I like the middle clipping stage because brings out palm mutting, picking, and strumming for some reason more than just a bost. Dose the Tim have similar clippng stages? Can you increase trebel on the Tim or just take out frequencies only?
Thanks

Hey ElectricFiddle,
I haven't used a Tim yet (the closest I've tried is the Dano Timmy copy - sorry Paul) So I won't attempt a comparrison. :)

Are you still running through the Liverpool? Have you tried an OCD v4 through it yet? I really really like the OCD>Liverpool combo. It is quite open, and very responsive. I often leave it on (gain around 9:00), and just use picking dynamics to increase and decrease the amount of dirt. Still looking for the ideal od to stack with it though.

10strings
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey ElectricFiddle,
I haven't used a Tim yet (the closest I've tried is the Dano Timmy copy - sorry Paul) So I won't attempt a comparrison. :)

Are you still running through the Liverpool? Have you tried an OCD v4 through it yet? I really really like the OCD>Liverpool combo. It is quite open, and very responsive. I often leave it on (gain around 9:00), and just use picking dynamics to increase and decrease the amount of dirt. Still looking for the ideal od to stack with it though.

Yeah, I am still runnng the Liverpool (although I still use my ac15) ... I too am still looking for the perfect overdrive for this setup. 3rd time owning a lovepedal fuse, so there is something I like about it, going to try and open road for the 2nd time. I went to Prymaxe Vintage and tried nearly every overdrive on the market and played it against the fuse and nothing convinced me to buy, not even a honeybee. But still want to give a Tim a shot. Never tried a Klon direct, but hey...

Figaro
03-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Anyone compared a Barber LTD, LTD SR or 1/2 Gainer to any of these pedals?

DT7
03-23-2011, 07:45 AM
The pedals on comparion were:-

A new Timmy with the external toggle fitted with my fave LM1458 opamp. I also have an older hand wired model but I just got this one from Paul so I've been trying it lately.
My Klon. Along with a Timmy this has been one of my board constants since '06.
A ProAnalog Dual Drive v2
A King of Tone v4 with high-gain red side mod.
A Lovepedal Kalamazoo
Thanks for the review...it read quite well. My question concerns choice of opamps for the Timmy. I've always thought the stock JRC4559 was ideal for that pedal. What made you decide to go with the LM1458? Do you use your Timmy for grit, or cleanly? Just asking as I'm wondering about how much the change in opamps affects how well it interacted with the Kalamazoo...I'm thinking about getting one.