PDA

View Full Version : Two moving guys, private company, do you tip?

MudPies
05-26-2010, 07:05 AM
I hired two moving guys to help load and unload the truck. Licensed, bonded, insured, you know, all that stuff. Twenty per hour per person plus forty bucks to travel back and forth.

Do I gotta float them a tip too?

Pat Healy
05-26-2010, 07:09 AM
I did something similar for my last move, and they did a great job, so I tipped them. Don't remember how much. It made sense to me since I was saving a bunch of money by going with them vs. a big name moving company.

mr coffee
05-26-2010, 07:09 AM
I would.. esp if they busted hump...

mbargav
05-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Did this two years ago. I tipped 20/guy.

fretnot
05-26-2010, 07:10 AM
yep.

jjboogie
05-26-2010, 07:16 AM
They will be pissed if you don't!

gururyan
05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Tip them.

Joe Dirt
05-26-2010, 07:24 AM
I don't, but then again I don't tip when I go out to eat. You want more money? Get a better paying job.

Hendrix99
05-26-2010, 07:30 AM
I don't, but then again I don't tip when I go out to eat. You want more money? Get a better paying job.

Wow. Bet you get great service. Way to go :aok

You do know that waitstaff get paid below minimum wage and depend on tips? It is one thing if it is bad service, but to not tip at all is pretty low.

arthur rotfeld
05-26-2010, 07:32 AM
I think Dirt was trolling, but if not.....Tips are figured into the decision to take these types of jobs. In the US, tips are expected in certain jobs. If you are not tipping at a restaurant and it's not due to horrendous service, you are stealing the service. There is an unspoken rule between you and the owner of the restaurant that you share in the payment of the waitstaff...just the way it is.
Don't like it? Go to eat in other countries where tip is included or go out here in parties of six or more when 18% is decided for you.....

Anyway, yes, tip the moving men, especially if they do a good job. I appreciate the care they take in carrying objects carefully.

twinrider1
05-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Just never eat at the same place twice. :-)

I would tip them if they hustled. I'm not sure about the $30 traveling cash though.

mbargav
05-26-2010, 07:33 AM

Wow, you're just the coolest dude.

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx19/bargavm/fonzie.jpg

edgarallanpoe
05-26-2010, 07:36 AM

Remind me to never go out to eat with you. Having worked in food service for several years, I can say with confidence that you are eating more than you want in your dish. The waiters/waitresses remember stiffs, trust me. I shudder at the amount of insects and boogers you have probably eaten.

Tony Foran
05-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Yes.

Tom CT
05-26-2010, 08:28 AM

I'd guess you're paraphrasing Reservoir Dogs, but if not...

Nice trolling, Troll.

whiteop
05-26-2010, 08:38 AM

Work in their shoes for a day. You'll appreciate them more the next time around. Any tips are always appreciated especially if they do a good job and take pride in it. Sadly it's become rare to find employees that take pride in their jobs and really take care of their customer's needs in a professional manner without being forced to by their supervisors. When you come across one they're a true gem.

Endr_rpm
05-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I tipped my movers $20/man when we moved across town last year. A couple weeks later, the moving truck pulls up, and one of the guys gives me back some minor hardware from some book shelves that had been left in his tool box. I hadn't noticed they were missing, but I have to assume if it were something more important, he would have brought it back too.

So yeah, tip away.

Pat Healy
05-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Work in their shoes for a day. You'll appreciate them more the next time around. Any tips are always appreciated especially if they do a good job and take pride in it. Sadly it's become rare to find employees that take pride in their jobs and really take care of their customer's needs in a professional manner without being forced to by their supervisors. When you come across one they're a true gem.

Don't worry about Dirt, he's a well-known troll. Funny at times, though.

joemilitello
05-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Yeah- tip those guys.

I helped a recently divorced buddy move 3 U-haul truckloads of furniture to a storage place. I worked for ten hours. You couldn't pay me enough to do that for a living.

MudPies
05-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the push guys. We figured it was the right thing to do but just weren't sure. It seems everyone gets tips today.

sleshnyc
05-26-2010, 09:07 AM
20 an hour? crap. i just paid 275 an hour for 6 guys plus i tipped them each 60 bucks after an 8 hour day.

Jetrow
05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Hell yeah if the guys are professional and do a good job that should be encouraged and rewarded anytime. I like to tip big at places I return to. I usually return only to places that have great food and excellent service. I bring business with me too when I know a place is top notch.

While it's 20 or 30 beans out of your pocket, often it brings back much more value in the long run. They remember you and when someone drops your name as the one who recommended them, they get treated well.

When you're local, some of that money is going to find it's way back into your wallet. So it makes good sense.

JCM 800
05-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Tip them well and tip them up front! They will hustle but take extra care of your stuff. It's well worth it.

Midnight Lady
05-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Yesterday we paid $115 per hour (this included travel time) for three guys to move our furniture into the new place. They did everything so well, were pleasant and friendly and helpful. It was 94F in the shade and they consumed several gallons of water. Yes we tipped them $100 + $60 + $60.

In your case, not as much, but IF, repeat IF, you are pleased with them and think they did a very good job for you, then yes.

I don't, but then again I don't tip when I go out to eat. You want more money? Get a better paying job.Oh. Either you are "one of those" or you're a troll, in either case, why bother adding such a comment to a thread like this?

If this was in Canada, those servers would be paying income tax on money that you never gave them. It is assumed that waiters/waitresses earn 15% tips and the gubmint taxes them on that basis. (they do however earn a living wage here and could survive without the tips - therefore, they are given for good service not an economic necessity).

guzman
05-26-2010, 09:31 AM
It's pretty simple; good job = tip, bad job = no tip.

taez555
05-26-2010, 09:47 AM
When we last moved, not only did we tip, we bought them water and snacks.

Moved our entire 3 bedroom apartment to our house, 25 miles. From the second they showed up at apt, to left our house, after setting up furniture, 4 guys, 4 hours. Best money I ever spent.

John Coloccia
05-26-2010, 10:16 AM
re: tips at restaurants
Gee, what's worse: not giving a tip or screwing with someone's health by tainting their food? Anyone who would do that belongs in jail, IMHO.

re: tips for everything else
If someone does a great job for me, I'll tip them. Occasionally I order from PeaPod. The driver is fantastic. He gets a tip. I gave one set of movers a tip because they were great. I had another set who were lucky I even paid them...laziest pair I'd ever seen. I was stacking faster alone than the two of them combined, and they were both in their early 20s. BAH.

If my movers are especially good, work diligently (i.e. at LEAST as hard as I'm working) and take care, I'll buy them lunch and give them a great tip at the end of the day. If they're dragging, not careful and are just generally more trouble then they're worth, they get nothing. I've had pretty good luck with movers so far and am generally pretty pleased with my service.

MudPies
05-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Lunch is a given. I'll be supplying finger swanniches pop water and chips.

edgarallanpoe
05-26-2010, 10:42 AM
re: tips at restaurants
Gee, what's worse: not giving a tip or screwing with someone's health by tainting their food? Anyone who would do that belongs in jail, IMHO.

Agreed 100%, but that doesn't stop it from happening...trust me. I can tell you from first had experience that acting like a douche to a person who has complete control over what you eat is simply not a smart move.

Thinsocks
05-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Yes. I just moved last month. It was $65 a hour for two guys. I'm sure after all is said and done these guys get under $10 a hour, so I made sure they got a nice tip.

yellowecho
05-26-2010, 10:46 AM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2010/3/8/634036419171451045-MrPink.jpg

MudPies
05-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Yes. I just moved last month. It was $65 a hour for two guys. I'm sure after all is said and done these guys get under $10 a hour, so I made sure they got a nice tip.

That's partly why I went with these guys. They own the company themselves so no higher up guy to pay off (except for .gov)

tonedaddy
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I've always tipped movers, especially according to the care they show for my belongings.

Zilmo
05-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes, of course you tip. Unless of course you are just a cheap bastard.

LDS22
05-26-2010, 01:12 PM

indeed. paying for the movers with a sizable tip was the best thing i spent money on when we moved to the new house.

Tom CT
05-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Agreed 100%, but that doesn't stop it from happening...trust me. I can tell you from first had experience that acting like a douche to a person who has complete control over what you eat is simply not a smart move.

I have close to 30 years in the restaurant business, starting at a now-defunct chain that was enormously popular through the '70s and '80s, and the last 18 years at a privately-owned local eatery. We've been open (and busy) for 24 years, a remarkable feat for any restaurant.

I have never ever met an employee in the front or back of the house that have tampered with a customer's food or drink. Ever. We bitch and moan and curse, but that's the extent of the negativity. And I've worked with many hundreds of employees over the years.

You must have worked with some real lowlife excuses for humans. Real bottom-of-the-barrel scumbags.

Tampered food is an extremely rare exception - no employee with an ounce of conscience would ever consider it. "Waiting" is a hilarious movie, but it's not real life. Don't buy into the message. Tom

edgarallanpoe
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
I have close to 30 years in the restaurant business, starting at a now-defunct chain that was enormously popular through the '70s and '80s, and the last 18 years at a privately-owned local eatery. We've been open (and busy) for 24 years, a remarkable feat for any restaurant.

I have never ever met an employee in the front or back of the house that have tampered with a customer's food or drink. Ever. We bitch and moan and curse, but that's the extent of the negativity. And I've worked with many hundreds of employees over the years.You were obviously upper management in the restaurant. Not a chance that gets done in front of you. I was a cook. I never did it because...

a. It never mattered to me.
b. Just not my nature

but have seen it done on a number of occasions in several locations. I once watched the owner of a pizza place I was working at get cussed up and down by a customer on the phone. He remained calm the entire time as this dude laid insult after insult on the owner. I then watched the owner take the sub bun he was going to use to make his steak sub and wipe the seat of the toilet with the bun.

It happens, you can believe it or not.

Does it take an *extreme* asshole to get someone to do it? Of course. Are there any shortages of extreme assholes? Unfortunately not.

ACfixer
05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I have close to 30 years in the restaurant business, starting at a now-defunct chain that was enormously popular through the '70s and '80s...

Huh. :huh I thought the Soup Nazi was in the 90's.

dmacintyre
05-26-2010, 02:03 PM
I just did this very thing with the relo guys yesterday. It was 80 degrees and humid, they took care of my stuff, accommodated some last minute additions, had to deal with a huge gun safe and gym equipment and wouldn't let me do a thing no matter how small. Plus the wife's company was paying for the relo. $20 per guy with the instruction to go directly to the pub and spend it on beer :beer

Tom CT
05-26-2010, 02:47 PM
You were obviously upper management in the restaurant. Not a chance that gets done in front of you. I was a cook. I never did it because...

a. It never mattered to me.
b. Just not my nature

Waiter, bartender, line cook - management came years later. There's a minuscule number of service employees that don't fall into two your categories. They're the mental-defectives I referred to, and they're the overwhelming exception to the rule.

MudPies
05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
I dunno, I worked food service on the line about 10 years in 4 places. I've seen that BS happen at 3 places.

Joe Dirt
05-26-2010, 02:53 PM
They own the company, they set the price. no you do not tip. if they wanted $20 more they should have told you the price was $20 higher.

same goes with any organization that thinks tipping is an "unspoken rule" if you want more money for your goods and/or services then charge me for it. otherwise STFU. You set me price, not me.

madstrat
05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
the IRS doesnt think it's an unspoken rule,

drgonzoguitar
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM

I can almost promise you some has spit in your food.

Yes Mudpies, tip the movers if they do a good job.

Joe Dirt
05-26-2010, 03:08 PM
the IRS doesnt think it's an unspoken rule,

The IRS also wants Drug Dealers and Whores to report their illegal income. They just want any money they can get their hands on. point not taken.

lfio710
05-26-2010, 04:07 PM
How did you find them? We're moving in a few weeks, and thus far the three quotes we've gotten (from larger companies) have been $1500-$2000!

PS: I'd tip them.

I hired two moving guys to help load and unload the truck. Licensed, bonded, insured, you know, all that stuff. Twenty per hour per person plus thirty bucks to travel back and forth.

Do I gotta float them a tip too?

Thinsocks
05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
That's partly why I went with these guys. They own the company themselves so no higher up guy to pay off (except for .gov)

Yeah, but you said $20 a hour for two guys. So, does that mean they end up getting $10 each a hour? Looks like they made the same amount as my guys who don't own the company. Even more reason to tip!

MudPies
05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
How did you find them? We're moving in a few weeks, and thus far the three quotes we've gotten (from larger companies) have been $1500-$2000!

PS: I'd tip them.

They were one of a dozen suggested people when I reserved a UHaul truck. They are only producing 2 strong people and 10 utility pieces (dolly, flat cart, transit pads, etc).

MudPies
05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah, but you said $20 a hour for two guys. So, does that mean they end up getting $10 each a hour? Looks like they made the same amount as my guys who don't own the company. Even more reason to tip!

Sorry. $20 per hour per person plus $40 (corrected from first post) one time fee for traveling between houses a couple times. The two hours I have them for will only cost $120.

DamianP
05-26-2010, 04:48 PM

I don`t think that KFC really counts.

jimfog
05-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Bingo.

Flyin' Brian
05-26-2010, 06:14 PM

That's your choice, but if you go back to the same restaurant repeatedly and don't tip, I'd bet that your food is being seasoned quite creatively.

Fuzzles
05-26-2010, 06:20 PM
I would tip them, offer food and beverages but I like to not be an asshat. A cold can of coke and some snickers bars while loading could make them be a little nicer with your stuff.

CyberFerret
05-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Tipping is not really a done thing over here, but last year we had hired a private moving company with two guys to help us move to our new house. It was a Saturday too, and hot, and they did a really good job. The lugged a lot of heavy gear up a flight of stairs in the new house, and didn't damage anything.

From memory their quote was $400 for the day's work, but I added another $100 on top for the guys.

PS: Found out later that day that one of them just got out of prison! :) Not a single problem though. They were both rough looking, but really nice & polite and hard working...

snarkle
05-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Last time I moved it was with a small company, and they really worked hard. (As did I.) I own A LOT of books and records...it was a big job.

I tipped them $100 (a nice crisp $50 for each of the two guys) and a case of cold ones...which they opened right away and shared.

They seemed surprised, and definitely pleased. It was well worth it.

amigo30
05-26-2010, 06:39 PM
How do people feel about themselves when they go through life as a complete jerk? Are they even aware? It must be odd. Too bad..they only have one life.

drgonzoguitar
05-26-2010, 07:31 PM
When I moved from St. Paul to New Brighton, it took 4 guys 3 hours to load and 1 hour to unload. They busted their asses and nothing was broken. I bought them drinks and tipped them $50 each. Worth every penny.

MudPies
05-26-2010, 07:41 PM
(ps, we should really get a Twin Cities jam going sometime)

John Coloccia
05-26-2010, 07:43 PM
I usually give my guys $100 each if they do a good job. To me, good job is defined as working as hard as I am and taking as much care as I am. To date, only 2 moves where so underwhelming that I gave them nothing, and one pair in particular I came milliseconds away from firing entirely. On a whole, though, I've been lucky and have gotten great service, and they've earned every penny.

edgarallanpoe
05-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Waiter, bartender, line cook - management came years later. There's a minuscule number of service employees that don't fall into two your categories. They're the mental-defectives I referred to, and they're the overwhelming exception to the rule.

So far you are the only person who has disagreed with me about this. It is obvious you know everything that goes on in every food location so I will leave you to your opinion and respectfully say that you live in la la land if you don't think this happens.

Tom CT
05-26-2010, 10:44 PM
So far you are the only person who has disagreed with me about this. It is obvious you know everything that goes on in every food location so I will leave you to your opinion and respectfully say that you live in la la land if you don't think this happens.

My point is that instances of restaurant employees tampering with patrons' food are extremely rare. It's talked up and exaggerated to the point that it's almost reached urban myth status. People start to believe it's a common occurrence. It's not. If you send your steak back to the kitchen for a few more minutes on the grill, it won't be sabotaged. If you complain that your soft drink is flat, the server won't spit in it. The "tainted food" meme has some people fearful of dining out at all, and that's a shame. It defies logic and common sense.

drgonzoguitar
05-26-2010, 10:57 PM
(ps, we should really get a Twin Cities jam going sometime)

No kiddin'!

StompBoxBlues
05-27-2010, 01:49 AM
When they do it right, hell yeah.

Those guys work hard, for little pay.

Fuzzles
05-27-2010, 02:20 AM
My point is that instances of restaurant employees tampering with patrons' food are extremely rare. It's talked up and exaggerated to the point that it's almost reached urban myth status. People start to believe it's a common occurrence. It's not. If you send your steak back to the kitchen for a few more minutes on the grill, it won't be sabotaged. If you complain that your soft drink is flat, the server won't spit in it. The "tainted food" meme has some people fearful of dining out at all, and that's a shame. It defies logic and common sense.

Playboy had an article with Chuck Palahniuk where he talked about researching this kind of thing for Fight Club and another book he is working on regarding subversive behavior. He said the Chef at a major hotel could count several occassions where Margaret Thatcher ate his spooge... I don't support it and I would never do it if I worked food service but I have talked to plenty of people who have said it happens. Sometimes you can screw the waitress but the waitress can always screw you.

crosse79
05-27-2010, 02:33 AM
I don't tip based on industry practice - I tip based on service. If it's good, I'll know how to show my appreciation $$$.

edgarallanpoe
05-27-2010, 05:39 AM
If you send your steak back to the kitchen for a few more minutes on the grill, it won't be sabotaged. If you complain that your soft drink is flat, the server won't spit in it. The "tainted food" meme has some people fearful of dining out at all, and that's a shame. It defies logic and common sense.

In those instances, of course. But those are not the "extreme assholes" I am talking about. It also defies logic and common sense to think that a person will insult staff and be an obnoxious idiot without consequences.

8mileshigh
05-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Yes, $20.00 each...

Tom CT
05-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Playboy had an article with Chuck Palahniuk where he talked about researching this kind of thing for Fight Club and another book he is working on regarding subversive behavior. He said the Chef at a major hotel could count several occassions where Margaret Thatcher ate his spooge.

I wouldn't take 4th-hand information too seriously, especially since the alleged "chef" had his identity concealed. Also, this has nothing to do with restaurant employee's revenge - it's an instance of a sociopath's sick behavior. Makes for a great story, but I'm not buying it.