PDA

View Full Version : BEST live shows/Concert memories...

oxtone
05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Well,

Since we have a Worst live shows thread, just thought I'd start a new thread about the BEST live shows we all have seen! So, here goes:

Best concerts I saw (back in the 70's, in the Mpls. area):

Grand Funk - very first concert! Awesome energy from Mark and the boys.
Lynyrd Skynyrd (3x) - saw their first tour; had more of a country sound then.
The Who - Pete's tone was GREAT with Hiwatt stacks!
CSN & Y - fantastic acoustic set with indredible vocal harmonies. Then they rocked in the 2nd set!
Wishbone Ash - one of my all-time favorite shows! The melodic guitars were very memorable!
Marshall Tucker Band - saw the original line up, and Toy Caldwell was superb!
Jethro Tull - Martin Barre's guitar playing was great, with Ian raising the leg to play Flute.
Johnny Winter And - 2nd concert I ever saw. Johnny just ripped, and Rick Derringer rocked! Johnny had a wall of Fender amps.
Outlaws - Green Grass & High Tides, forever! R.I.P. Hughie and Billy....
Deep Purple - early 70's, Met Sports Center, Blooomington, MN. LOUD, with Ritchie's wall of Marshall stacks.
Frank Zappa - incredible musicianship from Frank and the band. He threw rubber chickens out in the audience.
Climax Blues Band (5x) - they always opened major tours, and Pete Haycock's tone was cool with the Veleno!
Doobie Bros. - incredible vocal harmonies and guitar playing.

In recent years:

Eric Johnson
U2
Joe Satriani
Hellecasters
Peter Frampton
Johnny A.
Andy Timmons
Robben Ford
Larry Carlton
Vital Information
Steve Morse Band
Gov't Mule
Dixie Dregs
Allman Bros.
Derek Trucks Band
Scott Henderson
Jazz is Dead
The Jazz Ministry
Hamilton Loomis
Phil Keaggy
Giant
Dogs of Peace
Lincoln Brewster
The 77's

Nick67
05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Two moments that stand out. Both at The Chance theater in Poughkeepsie,NY. 1983 I believe, Stevie Ray Vaughn just "broke" and as a young teenager I went alone to the gig.I parked it up against the stage directly in front of SRV since I got there early. No more than 2 feet from Stevie, watching him play. He kept looking down and smiling and nodding at the chunky,dorky teenager in front of him. He knew I was awestruck and appeared to really appreciate what he was doing. The other moment was in 1997 when Motorhead played,and a bunch of 30 somethings were sining along to "Iron Fist". He gave a nod to us. We were just thrilled.

nls21
05-26-2010, 03:17 PM
+1 on Derek Trucks Band --- (not enough people know about his band)

(i might get hated on for this) but i got dragged to a Coldplay show and i thought it was really good. they know how to put on a show. And everyone in the audience got a free live cd.... Hate on them all you want.... but you cant agrue thats not pretty cool.

(never thought id be mentioning DTB and coldplay in the same post (haha)

LavaMan
05-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Rush 1978, 1992 and 2007
Black Sabbath/BOC 1981
SRV 1985, (front row) 1987
U2 2010

JSeth
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Here's a few of 'em... priviledged to "come of age" in Southern California, in the 60's and early 70's...

- the Swing Auditorium (San Bernardino, CA)

Elton John (trio) opening for Leon Russell (approx. 40 people on stage, including Delaney and Bonnie, Rita Coolidge, George Harrison, Dave Mason...!)

Blodwyn Pig > Procol Harum (the "Home" tour, when Robin Trower realized he could actually PLAY the guitar!)> Leon Russell

-the Olympic Auditorium, LA, CA (Bill Graham decided to do some shows at the home of Pro Wrestling and Freddy Blase, Gorgeous George, etc...)

A Group Called Smith > Eric Mercury > Quicksilver Messenger Service (the original line-up w/ Dino Valente and Nicky Hopkins added!) > Ten Years After... I remember, after Quicksilver's set, turning to my buddy and saying "we may as well leave now; no way can the next act be as good"... I had not heard TYA at that point...

-The Hollywood Paladium

The Dead (acoustic) > New Riders of the Purple Sage > the Grateful Dead... EPIC show, 5 hours or something like that... amazing!

Boz Scaggs > the Steve Miller Band (circa 1971)

-the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, CA

Jethro Tull (before all the hype and hoopla surrounding "Aqualung") - Ian Anderson absolutely gave everything he had, a total maniac on stage and a brilliant performance...

The Allman Brothers @ the Whiskey A Go Go - with Barry and Duane (and Thom Doucette on flute and harmonica) - all the bro's on a stage that must have measured 8' x 12'! Last set of the evening, the only poeple in the place were me and my 2 friends, and the bartender and cocktail waitress... and they played like we were at Watkin's Glen in front of 50,000 fans!!!

Led Zeppelin OPENING for Lee Michaels at Cal Irvine, for $4... first US Tour, they absolutely BLEW everyone's mind!

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young at the Greek Theatre in LA - Joni Mitchell opening. They were there for a week, this was the week after Woodstock... we paid the first night, then snuck in every night after that... was not even close to sold out!

-Anaheim Stadium, CA...

The Blues Image > John Sebastian > Leon Russell > THE WHO!!!!! This was "the Tommy Tour"... I am so glad I got to see these boys while Keith was still alive... undeniably one of the best Rock and Roll bands EVER!

Little Feat @ the Topanga Corral, the kick-off for the "Waiting for Columbus" Tour... 3 or 4 hundred folks jammed into a 180 capacity cinderblock bar... WHAT A HOOT!

There were a lot of others, but these were pretty cherry!

RL in Fla
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
No contest - Early 70's - The Band , at the Civic Auditorium (symphony-class venue). Like you had headphones on .

3-way tie for 2nd -
twin bill - Dixie Dregs/Sea Level , same venue
Emmylou and the Hot Band , ........ " "
Original ABB at the Grand Opera House in Macon (more , but this was best)

George Thoroughlygood @ Florida Theater
Joe Bonamassa - Freebird Live (bar)
Kathy Mattea opening for George Strait and Haggard ('88)
Poco @ Atlanta Pop Festival

too many R&B/Soul revues to list from '64-68 .

skhan007
05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Ronnie James Dio- Merriweather Post Pavillion 1986 Sacred Heart tour...For $15, I saw Dio slay a dragon live on stage with a magic sword

8Painting
05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
The Wood Brothers @ Martyr's in Chicago. Was sitting at a table so close, I was resting my arm on stage. Great atmosphere, great friends, great music.

Close second is Cat Power @ The Vic. Chan was finally sober and the mood/music in the room was amazing.

Third - Black Crowes Halloween 2005 @ the Riv.

lawrencelcl
05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Weezer in Hiroshima in 2002. Small venue packed with Japanese people all totally into it, and they killed it. Japanese fans are the best- dead silence in between songs so that you can pay attention to what Rivers was saying, and they all jumped up and down at the same time to the music, which shook the floors.

nmiller
05-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I saw Levon Helm a couple of years back in NYC. For those who haven't seen him recently, he's gaunt, grey and looks a lot older than he is. A delightful surprise, then, when the horns blasted out the opening riff to "Ophelia" and Levon proceeded to play and sing a funkier, more energetic show than any white dude should be able to, regardless of age. I'm pretty sure his vocal chords are made of Arkansas soil.

Another great moment (at the same theater, actually) was when Paul Simon returned for an encore and, completely by surprise, introduced a guest star: "Ladies and gentlemen, my old friend Art Garfunkel."

Roadeye
05-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Jimi Hendrix - The Bushnell Auditorium, Hartford, CT - 1968. Bought a row of 7 seats for $21!!! Saw The Cream a few months later at The Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford, CT. Those are the top 2 for me. Stacks and racks of Marshall amps! Both were supreme power trios.

Marc Roy
05-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Haven't seen too many concerts, but these will always stand out for me:

King's X - Saw them in a club in 2004. There were maybe 200 people in the place. It literally changed my life. Fantastic musicians, kick-ass harmonies and nice guys to boot. They've been a favourite of mine since their first album, so I was stoked to see them live. It was loud as hell too. They stuck around afterwards for autographs to shoot the breeze with whoever wanted to talk. I asked Ty Tabor about his gear. Turns out he's as big of a gear head as everyone else.

Travis Tritt - Saw them at the Corel Centre in Ottawa in 2001. He Put on a hell of a show (2 1/2 hours+ with no opener). Played his hits and a bunch of covers, and he even did a short accoustic set. Always loved the guy's voice. He can definitely play some guitar too (as can his sideman. Wendell Cox).

PVH5150
05-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Manchester NH, Verizon Wireless Arena, 11/15/09.
There is nobody around today that has better musicianship & stage presence.

pickaguitar
05-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Best sounding concert I've ever been to....Pantera
Sound was huge and right as could be

Best X trip of my life was at a Page/Plant concert which was a killer show

roadfilm
05-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Best rock show I've ever seen was The Who in 1975. Best overall show I've seen was Jack Dejohnette's Special Edition in 1980. Besides Jack the band had Arthur Blythe on Alto sax, David Murray on Tenor sax and bass clarinet and Peter Warren on bass. There are many others but those two always come to mind first.

greggorypeccary
05-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Lots of great ones, but the most memorable:

Grateful Dead 3-22-90 Great late era show all around (Scarlet > Fire is on the So Many Roads box) but out of The Other One they broke it down and Brent started playing some beautiful chords on the piano and started singing Hey Jude (only time ever, not including twice in 69 w/Pigpen). Listening to Jerry & Brent playing that still gives me goosebumps.

Springsteen 9-14-2003 - Hadn't seen him since 84, a couple weeks earlier I saw my mom for the last time before she died a few weeks later, and Bruce's music was so life affirming that I knew things would be OK.

Another Springsteen - Flying up to Buffalo last November to see the last show on the tour. Almost 4 hours of the greatest rock & roll I've ever heard.

Joni Mitchell in 98 - never thought I'd see her, just being in the room with her aura was...too much...

But I've seen a lot of great shows over the past 25+years - U2, Phish, Santana, Los Lobos, various festivals, some jazz and blues greats (BB King in a club back in 84!) Dylan (also a worst...). Going to shows is what I do...

buddaman71
05-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Honestly, the best shows I've ever seen in my life were:

Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood in 1990 - Pure, hedonistic FUN ROCK

Keith Urban - x2 - both times amazing energy, playing, singing, guitar tone(!) and performance. Connects with the audience, even in arenas/stadiums like no one I've ever seen.

Clint Strong jamming with Victor Wooten at NAMM LA around 97 or so in one of the side hallways. Only a few peeps standing around. They were jamming just for fun.

It was beyond unbelievable to watch those two guys instinctively musically communicate.

Eric Johnson at one of the very first G3 shows in Dallas maybe 96 or so. Tone was EPIC!

skillet
05-26-2010, 04:57 PM
The first concert I got to go to alone (well, had a 'date' of sorts, hottie who was the daughter of some friends of my parents, we grew up together; later had another 'first' with her, but that's a whole different story, heh; ahem) was Robert Plant on one of his solo tours, late-80s. You have to understand, I was a HUGE Zeppelin fan growing up, so this was a big deal for me and as close as I'd ever get to seeing Zeppelin live. Anyway, great concert; we were on the lower level (just above the floor) and pushed our way down to the rail, we were literally level with 'stage left' -- could have hopped the rail, tip-toed across some cabinets and been on the stage. At one point, Plant is singing a Zep tune and while everyone around me is rocking out and dancing, not really paying attention, he strolls over to our side of the stage (our section was the rowdiest and he showed us a lot of attention that night), he looks me right in the eyes from about 30-feet away and sings almost the entire song staring at me as I'm slack-jawed and holding onto the railing as if it will somehow save my 15-year old life. heh. So, yeah, I've never been able to top being serenaded by Robert Plant. heh.

Second best was the first time I ever saw Tool, my 'other' favorite band. Had to take a roadtrip with a good friend to get to this show, we got to gabbing and missed an important exit and had to backtrack about 30-45 minutes to get back on course, heh. This caused us to be late, and with GA tickets we got stuck at the back of the room of this small auditorium. This place had a 2nd level, overhanging balcony, it was really low to the floor (could jump up and touch the 'ceiling' easily). It was incredibly loud, perhaps the loudest thing I've ever heard -- and the most interesting part was that the bass/soundwave was so concussive that being under that overhang, it literally smashed you in the chest -- I kid you not, at one point in the concert, we were leaning forwards a bit and getting pushed backwards, as if it was impossible to fall face first as the bass would knock you back upright before you got too far over, heh. This was in late-1994, just before Tool hit it big (like most, we got turned on to them in college when the video for 'Sober' debuted in 1993). This was back when Tool still did stuff like body paint themselves and Maynard (singer) would interact with the audience a lot. I've seen them over a dozen times since then (and have tickets to see 2 of their upcoming summer shows), and as amazing as their Lateralus tour was with the visuals, etc, that stripped down show in that POS auditorium was by far the greatest show I've seen them put on.

Chris Scott
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Here's a few of 'em... priviledged to "come of age" in Southern California, in the 60's and early 70's...

- the Swing Auditorium (San Bernardino, CA)

Elton John (trio) opening for Leon Russell (approx. 40 people on stage, including Delaney and Bonnie, Rita Coolidge, George Harrison, Dave Mason...!)

Blodwyn Pig > Procol Harum (the "Home" tour, when Robin Trower realized he could actually PLAY the guitar!)> Leon Russell

-the Olympic Auditorium, LA, CA (Bill Graham decided to do some shows at the home of Pro Wrestling and Freddy Blase, Gorgeous George, etc...)

A Group Called Smith > Eric Mercury > Quicksilver Messenger Service (the original line-up w/ Dino Valente and Nicky Hopkins added!) > Ten Years After... I remember, after Quicksilver's set, turning to my buddy and saying "we may as well leave now; no way can the next act be as good"... I had not heard TYA at that point...

-The Hollywood Paladium

The Dead (acoustic) > New Riders of the Purple Sage > the Grateful Dead... EPIC show, 5 hours or something like that... amazing!

Boz Scaggs > the Steve Miller Band (circa 1971)

-the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, CA

Jethro Tull (before all the hype and hoopla surrounding "Aqualung") - Ian Anderson absolutely gave everything he had, a total maniac on stage and a brilliant performance...

The Allman Brothers @ the Whiskey A Go Go - with Barry and Duane (and Thom Doucette on flute and harmonica) - all the bro's on a stage that must have measured 8' x 12'! Last set of the evening, the only poeple in the place were me and my 2 friends, and the bartender and cocktail waitress... and they played like we were at Watkin's Glen in front of 50,000 fans!!!

Led Zeppelin OPENING for Lee Michaels at Cal Irvine, for $4... first US Tour, they absolutely BLEW everyone's mind!

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young at the Greek Theatre in LA - Joni Mitchell opening. They were there for a week, this was the week after Woodstock... we paid the first night, then snuck in every night after that... was not even close to sold out!

-Anaheim Stadium, CA...

The Blues Image > John Sebastian > Leon Russell > THE WHO!!!!! This was "the Tommy Tour"... I am so glad I got to see these boys while Keith was still alive... undeniably one of the best Rock and Roll bands EVER!

Little Feat @ the Topanga Corral, the kick-off for the "Waiting for Columbus" Tour... 3 or 4 hundred folks jammed into a 180 capacity cinderblock bar... WHAT A HOOT!

There were a lot of others, but these were pretty cherry!

Was there for the Allmans at the Whiskey - you nailed the description pretty good, as we were wondering how they were gonna fit all that stuff on the stage on the drive in that night.

Same for the Feat at the good ol' Corral...what memories.

We must have crossed paths a few times - ever make it down to the Golden Bear in HB?

Chris Scott
05-26-2010, 05:40 PM
...and come to think of it -

Dominoes at the Santa Monica Civic. Delaney got up and wouldn't leave, and Eric was visibly pissed, and he played DB into the wall.

Buddy Guy at The Golden Bear, at least 4 times, must have been '71 or '72.

Mystic Nights of the Oingo Boingo, Whiskey, '77. Totally re-arranged my brain re. the concept of a live band.

Taj Mahal, at my high school, '69. Hey - we had Buffalo Springfield, Iron Butterfly and Spirit as well!

...and the Feat countless times at Alley Rehearsal, just working out material while I sat up in the loft and enjoyed argueably the finest band I ever did hear...

frmorales52
05-26-2010, 05:50 PM
The Who

Oh yeah! I almost forgot the opening act. Some new band called:

Led Zepplin

It was awsome. I was stoned and the concert was "Liberated". So many kids showed up the fences came down.

Strat335
05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Trapeze in '76
Eric Johnson '78 or '79
Roy Buchanan
Rory Gallagher....late 70s
Merle Haggard ...late 70s early 80s and mid 90s
Robin Trower, the Long Misty Days tour and then the IN CITY DREAMS tour
Yes...late 70s
Outlaws...late 70s
B W Stevenson
Willis Alan Ramsey
Towns van Zant
Shake Russell.........the last 4 many times
Last and most favorite maybe...
Glenn Hughes at a private party where he sang for over 2 1/2 hours, sending Coast to Coast out to me.

oxtone
05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Bump! Any more good concert experiences? There's got to be more! :JAM

Dave Klausner
05-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Lots of great ones over the years. One standout for me was John Zorn's concert of Ennio Morricone pieces at the Brooklyn Opera House (billed as "Once Upon a Time in the East Village"). 24 musicians, that were a veritable who's who of the downtown NY scene, and the sound (by Martin Bisi) was so good that if you wondered who was playing a part, all you had to do was close your eyes and you could basically point to the person on stage. One of the highlights of the show was a piece for just the guitarists, who were Bill Frisell, Fred Frith, Robert Quine, and Jody Harris.

Austinrocks
05-27-2010, 04:41 PM
posted before but easy cut and paste,

santana chicago in july 74,

Speaking of Carlos Santana, I have to tell the story of my first Santana Concert. It was in June of 1974, Carlos and John McLaughlin had done the Love, Devotion and Surrender album, and Carlos had converted to John's beliefs. This was an open seating concert and I was going to Navy Corps school which is the Medical guys for the Navy and Marines. The concert was right below the Hospital in a football stadium, the concert was Carlos Santana and the original Chicago, Terry Kath was their guitar player then. I had seen Chicago and had the second album worked up completely I have the sketch score and I had an organ with horn synthesisers so I could do that as well as the guitar parts.
Anyway I wanted to see Santana and my girlfriend wanted to see Chicago, so it was a date. The place opened at 11 and the concert started at noon. We were sitting 10 feet in front of the stage, a little to the left. Carlos comes out dressed in white with a Lau of white flowers around his neck and ask the crowd for a moment of silence and if we gave him that he would play as long as we wanted him to, and he played for 6 hours that day.
So Carlos starts playing and it is Jam, with players come on and off stage, there were few recognizable songs, Black Magic woman sung by Buddy Miles, the drummer/singer for Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies and Buddy sang a couple songs from the Band of Gypsies album. He also played drums and guitar. And people would come on stage and leave, Carlos did a percussion jam with his percussion group.
Anyway about 3 hours into the concert there is girl with dark curly hair in a halter top and cut offs and tennis shoes and socks, who decided she only needed wear her tennis shoes and socks and nothing else and she is dancing. She was about 5 feet to my right, I tried not to look but my girl friend pointed her out, so I HAD TO LOOK. SO I DID and the girl looked really nice in her tennis shoes and socks, my girl friend kept commenting that she could never do that. Anyway my girl friend and I are watching the girl dance. All of a sudden the music stops. I looked up and everybody in the stadium was wathing the girl in the tennis shoes and socks.
Carlos and the band left the stage, so we are all chanting Carlos Carlos, and one of the band members came out said that if we wanted Carlos to come out the girl should put on her cloths. So the guy sitting next to me wraps the girl in a blanket and she puts on her clothes and Carlos played for another three hours, and Carlos said that it was time for chicago to come and play for us.
So Chicago sets up and starts playing, as soon as they start the girl is on the stage, she climbed up the front of the stage wearing her tennis shoes and socks, and a smile. two guys security guys come out and grab the girl and are taking her off stage wrapped in a blanket. James Pankow the horn player stops them and tells them to let her dance. So they let her dance, and she danced the whole Chicago concert.
The band had a lot of fun with her, the horn player would play and come and play with them the trombone player ticklling her a s s with the slide the sax play was really having fun, and she was playing air instruments, air flute, air drums air bass, air guitar. She would get tired and sit down on stage, the guy next to me had brought her cloths up and she would put them for a minute or two and lose them. She was all over Robert Lamm when he was playing color my world and she would lead us all in clapping when the songs were over.
The only one on stage that did not get into her was Terry Kath the guitar player, he would go into a solo and she would play air gutiar with him and he would turn around and look at the speakers. He would be singing and she would come up to sing with him and he would push her away. I suspect his old lady was back stage.
Anyway chicago played for about 3 hours and left the stage and the naked girl led us in a chant for an encore, the band played 12 encores, the last one was an hour long jam on 25 or 6 to 4, they said they had already played past midnight which was not allowed and left with the girl.

DGDGBD
05-27-2010, 04:48 PM
SRV/Jeff Beck show at MSG in 1989 (i think). Stevie sounded great, but JB was on another planet!

DGDGBD
05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Summer of 1984 or 85, saw several Stevie Ray Vaughan shows in small venues, up close to the stage. This was right before Couldn't stand the weather was released. I remember being in the front row, center seeing him play the Hamiltone for the first time. Unfortunately, I think I lost a good chunk of my hearing that summer!

Roadeye
05-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Saw SRV at a soundcheck in 88 or 89, he had a little baseball cap on and looked like a kid. Can't remember exactly the year, but he was clean by then (not me) and he literally was playing his ass off for me and like 3 of the road crew. And himself and the band.

It was some of the best guitar playing I ever saw, they did Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Little Wing and one more Hendrix tune (can't remember but I will when I'm not trying).

Oh, and the show that followed was simply AMAZING!

JB Eckl
05-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Easy one! Page and Plant, with the Vancouver Symphony and full Egyptian ensemble, 1995. I almost thought Scotty was gonna beam me up in the middle of that one.

freedom's door
05-27-2010, 05:28 PM
1- Hilary Hahn recital at Town Hall last years with Valentina Lisitsa accompanying her. It doesn't get any better (for me) than hearing Hilary perform in person.

2- Jeff Beck at BB King's club, Sept 11, 2002. Stood 15 feet away from the man, and had my brain rearranged.

3- King's-X, December 2008. I'd seen them before, and they were alway great, but this show was amazing.

4- Went to an evening of Indian classical music in 2006 featuring Zakir Hussain. Niladri Kumar played some of the best sitar i've ever heard.

5- Got to see Ustad Vilayat Khan years ago. I just knew i was in the presence of greatness that doesn't come around very often.

DGDGBD
05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
they did Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Little Wing and one more Hendrix tune (can't remember but I will when I'm not trying).probably Come on (Let the Good Times Roll):hiP

Bobby D
05-27-2010, 05:31 PM
the mid 70s. i was 12-13 years old, and my best friend's older brother was a DJ on the big FM Rock station in Charlotte NC (WROQ 95Q back in the day)

he got us into some amazing shows, and i even got to meet Alex Lifeson from Rush :phones

lang.murphy
05-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Alice Tull Hall, Lincoln Center, Thanksgiving 1968, Madison Sq. Garden, summer 1969.

Cream: Island Gardens, Hempstead, LI, 1968, MSG... hmm, not sure when... late, late tour.

Derek and the Dominos: Stony Brook U. '70?

Pink Floyd: Anderson Theatre, NYC, 1968. Stony Brook U. uh... '70?

Procol Harum: Anderson Theatre, NYC, '67 or '68

Zappa: Mothers and "solo" shows. Too numerous to list. One that stands out is a Fillmore East show in which two drummers pounded away. Billy Mundi (only time I ever saw him with the Mothers) and Ansley Dunbar (first time I ever saw him play with Zappa... I was, like, "Ansley DUNBAR!?! What the hell is a blues drummer doing playing with the MoI?" I found out soon enough... :P)

The Tubes: again, too many shows to list

Springsteen: Academy of Music, NYC. Only Springsteen show I ever saw... right after "Born in the USA" Very, very, good.

The Clash: Bonds, NYC. early 80's

Sex Pistols: San Diego Street Scene 2003. I loved the Pistols back in the day. They friggin' rawked the house at SS... and I was cold, stone, sober. Not always true when I was younger...

Dead Boys: CBGB's... at least a half dozen shows. Other than Zappa, this is the only band I've ever seen where the audience took like 20 seconds after the end of a song to respond... total, absolute silence. Then an explosion of applause. Stunned. Stunning rock and roll.

Police: CBGB's. Saw their very first gig in the States at Ceebs. Less than 100 peeps in the house. Two months later, before they headed back across the pond, they played again, and I was there, and the heavy FM rotation of "Roxanne" had Ceeb's packed to the rafters.

Mott the Hoople/Aerosmith: some skating rink in CT. Early 70's, I think. Love Ian Hunter.

Rolling Stones: three times at MSG. On the Exile tour, I ended up about twenty rows back from stage left. Better living and hearing through chemistry and a bottle of Jack.

Bowie and the Spiders from Mars: Carnegie Hall (Ziggy tour) and Radio City (2x - Aladdin Sane tour). Great three piece rock and roll. Mick Ronson; yeah, baby!

And... many more... Blood, Sweat and Tears (orig band w/ Al Kooper), Electric Flag, Clear Light, Moby Grape, Soft Machine, Seatrain (!) (All at Cafe Au Go Go in NYC)

And more... but I'm done for now...

bdegrande
05-27-2010, 07:18 PM
In roughly the order I saw them

Rolling Stones
Velvet Underground
Blues Project
Grateful Dead
Allman Brothers
Larry Coryell
Little Feat
Bruce Springsteen
Television
Ramones
Talking Heads
Feelies
Richard Thompson
Sonic Youth
Sleater-Kinney
Rilo Kiley
Ollabelle
Red Moily

wareagle
05-27-2010, 07:21 PM
just about every show but the clapton one.

Boston was fantastic 07 tour i think or maybe '08
Skynyrd 3x the recent tours
Billy Squier i have friends that know him and although hes not as popular as he was he kicks ASS definatly recommend seeing.

Judas Priest was great
CSN was ok very chill but they were good
phish was great
styx was good
reo was great
feetwood mac..

most acts are good..

doublee
05-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Whoa LangMurphy that is quite a list!

Me, The Band in a medium sized bar in Saugerties NY ( 1980's, Manuel was still there) and also very memorable was George Jones when he was still great (early 1990's) in a beautiful theater just over the river in NJ.

various Dead shows but...they are hazy to recall....

CharAznable
05-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Paul McCartney last year. I was almost crying the whole time.

Scott Henderson at a tiny club in San Jose, Costa Rica about 10 years ago. I was sitting at his feet. Felt like a personal show.

Muse, last March. Most insanely high energy, theatrical show. Minds thoroughly blown.

First King Crimson show I saw, in Philly for the Construkction Of Light tour. Being 10
feet from Robert Fripp was unreal.

Yes, a few years ago, with Wakeman and Jon Anderson. I've seen a lot of old prog bands play like it's an oldies revival. But Jon Anderson gives it all, every time, all the time. That's why Yes can't exist without him. He's the soul.

Van Der Graaf Generator last year. Their first ever US tour.

defcrew
05-27-2010, 09:30 PM
I saw DAvid Johansen in th elate 70s at the agora Ballroom in ATL and he had a killin' band and just put on a great show. I don't even know who the guitar players were but I still remember they looked real "New York." Santana at the Fox Theater in the mid-70s. I had always liked him but this show was mesmerizing. I'm such a Stones fan it is hard to be objective but I've always enjoyed their shows. I greatly regret I never saw them on the Exile Tour which was clearly them at the height of their powers. Saw some really great acts in a little place called Old Town Music Hall in B'ham, aL--Willie Dixon, John Lee Hooker, SRV. Place didn't hold much more than 300 people or so I would think. Actually opened for SRV. at sound check he saw where th echairs were set relative to the stage and said, "Them folks are gonna get their heads cut off."

dohootowl
05-27-2010, 09:50 PM
SRV in '90-The Final Show--Alpine Valley, Wisconsin
Julia Fordham '04 and '05--Gypsy Tea Room, Dallas
Eric Johnson '85--Hard Rock Cafe, Dallas
King's X '95--Deep Ellum Live, Dallas

So many more, but those are off the top of my head.

SL_22
05-27-2010, 10:14 PM
I've enjoyed every concert I've been to. Saw most of the popular hair metal bands in the mid/late 80's.
My favorite shows were:
Bon Jovi/Skid Row in Biloxi, MS '89. Front row in front of Sambora. Huge stage & light show. Both bands performed with so much energy & sounded phenominal.
Aerosmith/White Lion in Biloxi, MS '88. Front row center. Both bands were great. But Vito Bratta stole the show. He made everything look so effortless. Saw them the week before front/cnt in Jackson, MS. Good show as well. Biloxi crowd was just more into it.
David Lee Roth/Cinderella in Jackson ,MS '86. One of the most fun shows to ever hit arenas. A young virtually unknown guitar slinger made EVH look like an amatuer.

Roadeye
05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
SRV in '90-The Final Show--Alpine Valley, Wisconsin.

Man - you musta had chills the next day when you heard the news - what was THAT like?

thetower07
05-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Let me say that as a young guy (21) I'm super jealous of a lot of you. Zeppelin, Hendrix, SRV, jeez.....

I am surprised nobody has mentioned ACDC yet. I saw them twice on their most recent Black Ice tour and Angus was out of his mind the whole show. I can't imagine how good they were back in the day.

Saw Uncle Ted play his 6,000 show at DTE Theater in Detroit, pretty memorable show, and scored some backstage passes.

Also have to put John Mayer in there. Saw him on his most recent Battle Studies tour and was blown away by his guitar playing. Don't judge him till you see the dude live.

Got the Black Crowes coming up in August so we'll see how that ranks on my list!

mrmjp
05-28-2010, 01:41 AM
I saw the invention of fire. Amazing, simply amazing.

TwoTubMan
05-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Circa '73, Houston Music Hall. The Strawbs opening for Blue Oyster Cult. Pre-Reaper, back when BOC fans were pretty damned hardcore. Believe it or not, The Strawbs actually won the crowd over, and even got called back for an encore. They were, quite frankly, awesome.

BOC kicked off with the usual "Stairway To The Stars". And, they lit the place on fire. VERY extended solos by Buck, which would continue throughout the night. He was just in a mood.

Not a word between songs, as a matter of fact, there was no "between songs". As I've said before, BOC in that era was just a relentless "sonic assault".

The highlight of the evening was "(Then Came) The Last Days Of May". The solo went on for a good ten minutes, and not a single wasted note, just Buck staring into the ceiling, a white SG, an Echoplex, and a Marshall. I'd trade a kidney for a recording of that solo.

It ended with "Born To Be Wild", with Buck and Eric scraping the white and black SG's string's together, and Buck yanking all 6 strings off of his guitar, one by one. And then we left, totally satisfied, and totally drained.

Austinrocks
05-28-2010, 02:51 AM
too many to list but here are a few

Trapezze and mountain 77 or so in Arlington as I recall, front row center, folks were throwing joints at the end of mountains set, Leslie West picked them up off stage, put one behind his ear and thanked the audience, Trapezze played and folks were throwing joints at the band, hit most of the band members as remember, they were pissed.

Santana and chicago in San Diego 74, the naked girl during Chicagos 6 hour set, described in a separate post.

Genesis, 75 and 76, lambs lies down on broadway, San Diego and LA shows, a couple of indian twins were genesis freaks, pretty obnoxious as I recall, they had tickets but no ride, I had the car and became a gensis freak as well, unfortuantely it was the last concert with peter gabriel, saw genesis after that several times with phil collins as the frontman, the last one with the then there was three, one show I wish I had never seen.

Jeff Beck and Jann Akerman, 76 or so in Dallas front row seats Beck was so amazing

Al Di Meola and Renaissance 77 in Dallas front row seats, I was probably the only fan of both bands. Thought of posting this in the worst concert experience, Al Di Meola was first, the cover girl came out and sat during his set, and gave him a rose and a kiss, she was from Dallas. The end of Als set he says he wants to meet his audience, we were front row a little to the right, Al steps of the three foot stage and shakes my hand, my friend took a couple of full in the face flash shot of Al. The crowd is moving forward trying to shake hands with Al, he is stuck between me and the stage, I am trying not to crush my hero as the crowd is moving forward. Renassaince was great, Anne Haslam and I had a running conversation as I was asking for songs, she was so amazing that night.

Lynard Skynard, one of our favorite bands, had pretty much everything worked up, really broke my heart when they had the plane crash.

dohootowl
05-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Man - you musta had chills the next day when you heard the news - what was THAT like?

One of the most surreal days of my life. Regrettably, I had to leave to beat the crowd just before the encore of the whole crew--Clapton, Stevie, Jimmie, Robert and Buddy. I had to drive back to Davenport, Iowa, a three-hour drive, where I had to be at work by 8:00am. Dense fog had rolled in and it took me a while to drive out of it.

Sometime that morning, a colleague came in and announced that "Eric Clapton's helicopter crashed". A little later, came the real story over the radio. A girl I was dating at the time called me from Dallas sobbing and asked me if I had heard the news. I said, "you're not going to believe this...I was THERE." I was in a daze the rest of the day. Collected all the newspaper articles and put them away with my ticket voucher (good for a $10 lawn seat). Still have them filed away.

seantk
05-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I have been to a lot of shows over the years, but some of the best ones were

Dio in 1984 on the Last in Line tour (with Whitesnake opening, who were promoting the Slide It In album)

AC/DC in 1985 at the Oakland Colosseum (Fly on the Wall tour)

Iron Maiden in 1985 at The Cow Palace in San Francisco (Live After Death Tour)

Allman Brothers, Foreigner, Little Feat, Night Ranger in 1991 at the Shoreline Amphitheater

Joe Satriani in 1992 (the Extremist tour)

Rush in 1994

SamsDaddy
05-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I too am jealous of the older guys getting to see such great shows. At 33 years old, I sadly missed out on most of the greats. I'll see if I can remember some of mine...

Big Head Todd and the Monsters - Paramount Theater - my first show ever

Van Halen (with Gary Cherone) - I think that was 1996, figured it was my only chance to see them in any form. I was very disappointed. However, Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band opened for them and they were stellar.

Tim McGraw + Kenny Chesney - my wife is a big Tim McGraw fan

Tim McGraw + Big and Rich - B&R put on a pretty good show as the opener

Allman Bros at Red Rocks

Gov't Mule at Red Rocks

Umphrey's McGee at Red Rocks

Joe Bonamassa, Winter Park Blues Festival

Joe Bonamassa, Ogden Theater

Mile High Music Festival - the first year was a pretty good treat. Got to see John Mayer, Dave Matthews, Rodrigo y Gabriela, etc.

Umphrey's McGee at the Fillmore, front row great show

Gov't Mule at the Fillmore, with North Mississippi Allstars opening, front row for this one, another fantastic show. I love the Fillmore.

oxtone
05-28-2010, 06:19 PM
I'd have to say the best live concert I've seen in recent years was U2 at Target Center in Mpls. It was the most intense concert I have seen
in many, many years. It had an emotional quality that was 2nd to none. The Edge's guitar playing and tone's were something to behold.

Another highlight was seeing Gov't Mule in St. Paul, MN, on a very cold, Winter night a few years ago. Warren Haynes is certainly one of the best guitarist's for classic rock sounds. Man, he was stellar that night! Have also really liked his work with the Allman Brothers, who I saw twice the last few years.

I'd also say the concerts I've seen in recent years by Eric Johnson
have been a huge enjoyment, plus meeting Eric before a show at the MN Zoo Amphitheater was very pleasant. He was very nice and approachable.

Another memorable show was Scott Henderson at the Cabooze Bar in Mpls. A rare appearance by the Californian! His playing was jaw-dropping great, with fantastic TONE.

defcrew
05-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I saw the invention of fire. Amazing, simply amazing.
Yeah, all these kids now with their boutique gear--matches, lighters--are clueless. All you need is fingers, brain and a piece of flint.

sahhas
05-28-2010, 07:28 PM
saw u2 in '88-on joshua tree concert-
saw billy idol in '87 w/ steve stevens-he was amazing, that whole concert just rocked....
saw bruce springsteen in '94 on his solo tour....the band was AMAZING.

all great concerts....that've seen...

Axemeister
05-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Way too many to remember..but the early concert experiences by future music icons still stand out

In 1968 I saw Jimi at the Hollywood Bowl. My 15 year old mind was blown. I saw him two other times, but this first show at the bowl was overwhelming to my young eyes and ears.

In 1969 I saw Led Zeppelin in Pasadena play at an old warehouse called the Rose Palace and was about ten feet from the stage. I remember Plant getting up on the speaker tower and Jimmy playing the guitar with his violin bow.. This was before they became icons, so I had no idea what I was in for, until I saw the show.

I also remember seeing the Jeff Beck Group at the Santa Monica Civic. He had the rooster haired skinny dude singing...Rod Stewart. I think this was 1970.

chervokas
05-28-2010, 11:18 PM
The Clash: Bonds, NYC. early 80's

Yeah, those were great shows. I saw three of them. The Clash played for like a week and a half after the NYC FD shut down the shows because the venue had been oversold they hung around town and played for everyone who had purchased a ticket. The also had one NY band and one brit band opening every night and the NY bands were all early hip hop groups. I was there opening night. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, at the height of their powers, opened, and disgracefully were booed off the stage, frankly, by drunken racists. (Though I saw the Clash a total of 6 times and few if any opening acts survived their sets unscathed). I also was there for the last all ages matinee of the run--we all wound up on stage with the band. I remember singing "London's Burning" into Mick Jones' mike.

Seen a million great shows and great artists, god all those nights I spent at the Village Vanguard. Other memorable ones:

Sly Stone briefly out of retirement in the fairly tiny Lone Star Roadhouse in the mid 1980s. He came strutting down the stairs from the balcony to the vamp of Thank You Falletin Me Be Mice Elf to open the show like Dr. Funkenstein from the Mothership.

The Smiths on their first US tour at the Beacon.

Ornette Coleman at Town Hall in NY in a two set show with both Prime Time and the original Quartet. Also, years later, Ornette & Prime Time at Avery Fisher w/ the NY Phil playing Skies of America.

The first Sun Ra show I ever saw at Jazzmania Society in NY prolly 1981. Blew my mind. I was a poor college student and I hid in the bathroom while they cleared the house between sets so I could stay for the second set w/o paying.

John Lee Hooker in the 1970s also at the Lone Star. I literally sat at his feet.

A triple bill of BB King, Bobby Bland and Muddy Waters that was just mondo blues in the late 70s or early 80s.

The Dead at Red Rocks in the mid 1980s--I was attending a conference they had helped sponsor in Bolder on the 25th Anniversary of the publication of On The Road staying at a dorm at the university. William Burroughs was staying down the hall and spent almost all of every day in there writing. You could hear him typing for hours. Set and setting.

Sergio Chilibache conducting some German radio orchestra at Carnegie Hall where he just raised some impossible spirits in the room. A legend in his time.

Of course Springsteen in 78 on the Darkness tour at MSG. I remember it was a Friday night and we went to see the opening run of Animal House in the afternoon and Springsteen at night. That was fun.

My favorite though might have been The Staple Singers and Ray Charles on a double bill at pre-renovation Carnegie Hall in 1978. Mavis singing a capella and unmiked in that room is a sound I'll never forget.

The Van Morrison Astral Weeks show was pretty special too a coupla years ago.

Also Brian Wilson on the Smile tour at Carnegie Hall. Great sound and it was a cathartic night--a man reclaiming a lost masterpiece and a excorcising some dark chapter in his life. Amazing music too. I dragged my daughter along, she was in middle school at the time and didn't want to go. Thought it would be corny. Later she thanked me. She also later insisted on going to the Astral Weeks show.

Fred McMurray
05-29-2010, 03:59 AM
Rush '82 and '94 - MSG
Joni Mitchell, Bethel NY aug '99
Motorhead and Mercyful Fate '84 - The Capitol Theater
The Black Crowes @ Horde in '95, Furthur in '97 (Forest Hills Tennis Stadium), and 10/30/96 at the Beacon Theater w/the Mule opening, and about 30 more shows too
Also gotta mention Jimmy Page with the Crowes at Roseland
Pat Metheny Group @ Princeton Univ, '82 and the State Theater NB in '89 (the first time Pat played there, of many more to come)
Gov't Mule @ Irving Plaza w/Doyle Bramhall opening - this was around 99/00 I think...
also at the Fillmore in '06, and outdoors at the Stone Pony in '02 - I've heard that was a memorable gig for the band as well!
Ozzy & Motley Crue '83
David Crosby + band, Tower Theater in Philly, April '89 - recorded for King Biscuit. I was in the 2nd row, so my yelling is on that live album. He hadn't been outta prison very long at that stage, touring for Oh Yes I Can with Mike Finnegan and a killer band!
Guns'n'Roses Oct '87 at L'amour, their first week in NYC after the release of Appetite
Peter Frampton @ The Ritz in NYC, '92, Waterloo NJ in '96 or thereabouts, and Marin Civic Center '08 was a mindbender
Slayer touring for Reign in Blood, Capitol Theater, Passaic
Michael Hedges up close and personal at NGSW 1986 in CT
Husker Du '88 or '89 (can't remember) in NB
Janes Addiction on the Nothing's Shocking tour '88 I do believe
RHCP just after Frusciante joined in 88...Mother's Milk wasn't even released yet
Bert Jansch in Long Valley, NJ...'96-ish?
Bruuuuce...many gigs, but the rehearsals in Asbury Park for The Rising tour were supa-cool...
Oregon in Mill Valley, CA '08, and many times at the Bottom Line in NYC before it closed.

Jeez, that just rolled outta my brain...there's lots more. And what a twisted lot it is!

MBT74
05-29-2010, 05:16 AM
In no order.

The Cure - London 2000.
The Frames - in a small venue in Brisbane packed with Irish people and a handful of Aussies.
Mercury Rev.
The National - Boxer tour. Awesome. Simply awesome.
Sigur Ros - It was one of those gigs where the final note was played and I thought "Please don't come out for another song. You can't top that!"
Any gig by The Shins or The Go-Betweens.

alberob
05-29-2010, 05:49 AM
At Woodstock, Hendix,the Band, Joe Cocker,Santana,Ritchie Havens,Country Joe etc. Jeff Beck with Rod Stewart at Filmore East with Albert King opening.The Allman Brothers the night they recorded Live at the Filmore.Led Zepplin on their first tour[they opened for Iron Butterfly]:D. Hendrix at Singer Bowl,the Chambers Brothers and Janis with Big Brother opening for him.The Doors at the Action House in Island Park N.Y.and many more I don't recall at the moment.As George Carlin said "Anyone that remembrs the 60's and the 70's probably wasn't there.":JAM

agradywills
05-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Three Dog Night at Jubilee Jam '89 or '90 (?). They absolutely brought the house down. Killer guitar and vocals that were out of this world.
The Beatdaddys w/ Tommy Stillwell when they were playing in Jackson, MS around the early 90's.
Metallica's 'And Justice for all' tour in '90 (?).

xrcdan
05-29-2010, 08:16 AM
this one was pretty good-academy of music ny(around 1975)
opening act-yes
followed by- king crimson
headline-procul harem

whoofnagle
05-29-2010, 08:25 AM
The Warlocks - Hampton 1989
Jane's Addiction - 1990?
Gov't Mule - Orpheum - New Orleans 10/31/02
Phish - Red Rocks - 6/9&10/95

jefesq
05-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Newport Jazz Festival July 1969

Sly and the Family Stone (http://www.classicbands.com/sly.html), Jethro Tull (http://www.jethrotull.com/), Jeff Beck (http://www.ainian.com/), Ten Years After (http://www.alvinlee.com/), Johnny Winters (http://www.delafont.com/music_acts/johnny-winter.htm), Blood Sweat & Tears (http://www.rdrop.com/users/rickert/bst.html), John Mayall (http://www.johnmayall.com/), Frank Zappa (http://www.zappa.com/splash.html) & the Mothers of Invention, and Led Zeppelin (http://www.led-zeppelin.com/).