PDA

View Full Version : add an EF86 to your tube amp

terminal
05-26-2010, 02:32 PM
here is something I did to add an EF86 to a combo amp (some might recognize the amp from a recent emporium post). It worked out great. I didn't gut the amp at all. it was just 5 easy solders and no components were from the amp were removed.

http://www.dougcircuits.com/EF86.html

http://www.dougcircuits.com/images/EF86boxinstalled1.jpg

SatelliteAmps
05-27-2010, 12:54 AM
That looks pretty amusing. You also sell them as premade units?

terminal
05-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Though it is easy to hook up to amp, its not as simple as a stomp box out front. Anyone that wants to try one of these needs to know their way around an amp: read a schematic, find those components in the real circuit, make voltage readings, solder, etc... and though I think it could work with any tube amp, where the signal is plumbed in is a critical aspect that could make or break the project.

I put at the bottom that if someone wants one but doesn't want to build one to contact me for details. I'd be happy to put one together for someone, but if they couldn't do any and all of the above, the project would be a failure for them, and they'd be unhappy with the box (and with me). So, its not as simple as tossing them on eBay.

So anyhow..., Adam, just how many were you planning to order? :-)

ruppert240
05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Though it is easy to hook up to amp, its not as simple as a stomp box out front. Anyone that wants to try one of these needs to know their way around an amp: read a schematic, find those components in the real circuit, make voltage readings, solder, etc... and though I think it could work with any tube amp, where the signal is plumbed in is a critical aspect that could make or break the project.

I put at the bottom that if someone wants one but doesn't want to build one to contact me for details. I'd be happy to put one together for someone, but if they couldn't do any and all of the above, the project would be a failure for them, and they'd be unhappy with the box (and with me). So, its not as simple as tossing them on eBay.

cool idea. got a schematic? haha nevermind, clicked your link!

donnyjaguar
05-27-2010, 10:25 AM
C3 is an inappropriately high value. :)

SatelliteAmps
05-27-2010, 12:50 PM

Wasn't planning on ordering any. More a question of whether this should be in the Manufacturers Emporium since you were offering them for sale.

terminal
05-27-2010, 01:05 PM
ah. no, I posted it in case anyone else wanted to try something like this. It worked for me. maybe another TGPer could benefit from the schematic, the layout, and the notes.

terminal
05-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Wasn't planning on ordering any.

BTW, I was joking. i know an amp builder such as yourself wouldn't have a need for this... nod and a wink I guess..

rouss
05-28-2010, 09:36 AM
can an ef86 be added to a 5f1

SatelliteAmps
05-28-2010, 01:38 PM
BTW, I was joking. i know an amp builder such as yourself wouldn't have a need for this... nod and a wink I guess..

For what it's worth, I think it's a great idea for people who want to try an EF86. Should work in most lower wattage (i.e. lower B+) amplifiers. Won't turn a Fender into a Vox, but will give a bit of an idea about how a pentode front end sounds and responds different than a triode.