PDA

View Full Version : Memory Toy or Carbon Copy?

Will Hesch
05-29-2010, 08:57 AM
The title says it all, I'm looking for educated opinions regarding the Electro Harmonix Memory Toy vs. the MXR Carbon Copy, anyone? Thanks, Will

FireBottle
05-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Here's a good thread for you...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=726081&highlight=carbon+copy

Braunzo
05-29-2010, 09:45 AM
I picked the Memory Boy out of the two. The Toy is an outstanding value, but for a few bucks more, the wannbe studio producer said that some of the module/wave controls could come in handy. I've played both the Carbon Copy and the Memory Toy/Boy and I settled with the EHX. Just sounded better to my ears, but the Carbon Copy is still a great pedal. You can't go wrong either way. But if I were you, I'd just go for the EHX stuff and save a few bucks.

Prymaxe Vintage
05-29-2010, 10:08 AM
As a person who sells both and is not supposed to have an opinion.. Mxr carbon copy hands down. EH Mem toys have way to many problems. :JAM

jakethesnake
05-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Carbon Copy. I tested both out when I went to get a new delay pedal. I was not impressed by the toy and glad I went with the CC.

jb1911
05-29-2010, 10:12 AM
The Carbon Copy sounds great, but it's not very reliable. The answer is Malekko 616.

frozze
05-29-2010, 10:32 AM
^ +1
agree with jb1911!

elicious
05-29-2010, 11:58 AM
I hated the 616, but really like my Memory Boy!

CE-2 Man
05-29-2010, 12:35 PM
**** the Malekko, get the MXR.

Jules-RM
05-29-2010, 02:07 PM
How can you hate the 616? It won out over a Skrecho and DMM for me. Must have a bizarro 616 with a beard.

elicious
05-29-2010, 04:04 PM
How can you hate the 616? It won out over a Skrecho and DMM for me. Must have a bizarro 616 with a beard.

well I've had both of those pedals, too, and the 616 couldn't touch either for my tastes...the oscillation was runaway far too quickly and the modulation sounded unnaturally thin, no need for me to elaborate further is there? ;)

3leggeddog
05-29-2010, 04:22 PM
In my experience, the Ibanez AD9 is a pretty damn reliable pedal. Doesn't receive much praise on here, but I would give it a shot if I were you. I preferred it over the MT and the CC. Though one can't go wrong with the 616 either...

christopherJR
05-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Carbon Copy

monty
05-29-2010, 11:07 PM
I really love MXR stuff, but I sent my CC back for the upgraded mod after having and loving it for a year and needed something to tide me over until I got it back so I picked up a MT.
I was really surprised at just how good the MT is, and can say it is staying on my main board.
Having said that, you really need to demo them both, I think they are both sweet but have a dif. sound to them and you need to figure out which one suits your ears better.

HeavyG
05-29-2010, 11:59 PM
I owned both as well. Carbon Copy all the way. I got rid of the toy.

SBLP
05-30-2010, 12:00 AM
The Carbon Copy sounds great, but it's not very reliable. The answer is Malekko 616.
I don't get this? Where is this reliability issue coming from? It seems to have risen out of the blue. Is it because a few people on message boards got some lemons in the last 2 weeks, suddenly the entire model line is unreliable? Or has it been an issue for a while that I'm just unaware of? (honest question). Because I've read a ton of reviews before purchasing mine a year ago, and nowhere did I see anything about it breaking easily. :dunno:

Mine works great. No issues whatsoever, and it sounds phenomenal.

CC kills Memory Toy, IMO, and while the "Boy" has more features, the delay still doesn't sound as warm and gooey. Is the EHX Bucket Brigade, does anyone know?

Something about the CC just speaks to me, and while the 616 is sweet with more accessible features, again, I just like the way the CC decays, plus its warmth.

Of the 150$ and under analog delays, I'd say it goes something like this:

CC
Boy
AD-9
Aqua Puss
Toy

Personal preference, of course.

jb1911
05-30-2010, 06:10 AM
I don't get this? Where is this reliability issue coming from? It seems to have risen out of the blue. Is it because a few people on message boards got some lemons in the last 2 weeks, suddenly the entire model line is unreliable? Or has it been an issue for a while that I'm just unaware of? (honest question). Because I've read a ton of reviews before purchasing mine a year ago, and nowhere did I see anything about it breaking easily. :dunno:

Mine works great. No issues whatsoever, and it sounds phenomenal.

CC kills Memory Toy, IMO, and while the "Boy" has more features, the delay still doesn't sound as warm and gooey. Is the EHX Bucket Brigade, does anyone know?

Something about the CC just speaks to me, and while the 616 is sweet with more accessible features, again, I just like the way the CC decays, plus its warmth.

Of the 150$ and under analog delays, I'd say it goes something like this:

CC
Boy
AD-9
Aqua Puss
Toy

Personal preference, of course.

It's an ongoing issue that you are unaware of. I had two of them die on me. MXR fixed them, but I'd rather have a delay that I don't have to send in after owning it for one day. I'm not the only one.

JCA 25/50
05-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Carbon Copy no reliability issues here just fat, analog goodness and long trails :)

Fuhgawz
05-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Tried both at the store, bought the Memory Toy. It's only half the price and doesn't sound as dark as the CC.

sleejay80
05-30-2010, 10:37 AM
CC.

BryanMatthews
05-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Memory Toy by miles.

((TechnicolorSkyline))
05-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm a huge Electro Harmonix fanboy, but I thought the Memory Toy was a pile. I returned that POS quick! lol

A/B'd it with the CC and it couldn't touch the CC's warm/lush sound. CC also had better oscillation.

Have yet to try the 616. I'd really like to try one out though...

sick1982
05-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Any thoughts on the Red Witch Titan? :D

swal
05-30-2010, 03:48 PM
If you want to know which one is better without telling us your likes or dislikes you are just going to get 100 biased opinions.
CC= Warm and Dark (another persons muddy and toneless)
Toy= Bright and Airy (another persons thin and harsh)
Boy= Lots of options and tap tempo (another persons complicated and hard to use)

They are all great pedals, hit your local music store and try them out.
I personally went with the boy because tap tempo was a must and the cc was way to dark (for my setup that is).

MRscratch
05-30-2010, 04:23 PM
i have both. i need a small portable battery pedal. i bought the toy, sounded great , but no self oscillation.i need that. so i bought the CC superb oscillations nice fat tone, although not as open as the toy, and it doesnt go full delay in the mix. i think it only does 50% wet dry max.
ive read about the issues with it, i hope not to have it happen. i need this pedal for out of country touring.
i will use the toy for slap back, and the CC for long delays and oscillation sounds.

Will Hesch
05-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Wow, I touched on a nerve! I thank all of you for your responses, very educational. I would love to save some money and pick up the Toy but after everything you guys/gals have said and what I've read other places (I know, how dare I go other places!), I'm going after a Carbon Copy and hope mine's the one that doesn't need to be sent back for work. Thanks again, for your (educated) opinions, Will

...oh, and who you callin' a "big dummy"? I resemble that remark!

XmasTree
05-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Hey, I was just kidding Will. ...i hope you know that.
Please don't take that seriously.
If you bought the memory toy, you will save some money.
But a lot of people just don't like it.
...it also depends on how much you are going to use your delay.
sorry about that, I was just having fun because it was an obvious choice.

kleydj13
05-31-2010, 02:55 PM
I went into willie's in mpls last week with these two pedals in mind. I walked out an hour later with the CC. I really liked the CC right away. It was impossible to set up a bad sound.

Long delays with mod - lush and beautiful. Short slapback - nice and jumpy. I also was impressed with its ability to add warmth and fatness to every setting.

The toy was a little more hit and miss. It had some nice medium delay settings, but I had a hard time getting the modulation to work anywhere.

Another big factor as to why I went with the CC was worries about the toy. I have heard a lot of people talk about using CC's for years on end. The toy is $50 cheaper and at least a part of that has to come from lower quality parts which will break down more.

I found the CC to be easier to use, more versatile, and I expect greater reliability.

Will Hesch
05-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Xmas, I know you were kidding, me too! Thanks guys, for the replies. I'm now down to the MXR Carbon Copy and the Aqua Puss but leaning toward the CC. Thanks again, Will

jakethesnake
05-31-2010, 09:55 PM
I was thinking about getting a 2nd Carbon Copy but now I'm kinda interested in the ekko. Only concern now I have is that the directions had a warning to use a regulated power supply. I use a one spot for my board, does anyone else power their ekko with a one spot?

jfusion10
05-31-2010, 10:03 PM
carbon copy. The memory toy sucked IMHO. :)
unnecessary :bonk?

Blues Wail
06-01-2010, 06:27 AM
The CC sounds just right with "MY RIG". SOOOOO, Try first if you can & remember almost every Co. has some glitches that need to be addressed.

guitkrazy
06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
While I have had both- I found the CC too dark and the toy just didn't give me enough- but then again it all depends on the sound you are trying to get. I was looking for a relatively cheap analog delay to give me the Edge's delay sound and ironically I found it with the Memory Boy (a couple of bucks more than the toy but worth it) I will say that they all deliver it is just what you are looking for

drbob1
06-01-2010, 11:41 AM
CC, all the way. EH wins for toy appeal, but the CC is one of THE best delays built today, money no object.