PDA

View Full Version : Bugera V5 owners here? opinions? swaps/mods?

KmCyPreSs
06-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I've been on the hunt for a lightweight little tube amp for an apartment player on a smaller sized budget that can go for bluesy clean-semi dirty and I think the Bugera V5 may be it. Possibly on the dark side tone-wise but definately better than the other <5 watt tube combos under $250 that I tried. I think I'll probably swap the speaker to a Weber 8" if I went for one. Just want to see if there are any owners out there and what they think? Also, made any changes to these little guys?

mrkbrks
06-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Try a Blackheart Lil Giant. Think you'll love it. Great with pedals.

KmCyPreSs
06-03-2010, 09:06 PM
looks like a killer little guy but for my wants/needs it just doesn't apply. i'm moving into a 1room dorm in seattle in the fall. I have a 15watt matchless lightning similar size-wise to the blackheart but i want a really inexpensive combo with under a 12"speaker. (very small/light/inexpensive/clarity). i know it sounds radical to say, but for that size/weight + $350 i might as well just use my matchless.

_Brandon
06-03-2010, 10:09 PM
lightweight little tube amp for an apartment player on a smaller sized budget that can go for bluesy clean-semi dirty
Well, that about describes it. Very responsive to playing dynamics. Sounds great at low volume. But I bet you can make the neighbors hear you if you want to, even on the 0.1 watt setting. I've kept mine stock.

Davo17
06-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I've been on the hunt for a lightweight little tube amp for an apartment player on a smaller sized budget that can go for bluesy clean-semi dirty and I think the Bugera V5 may be it. Possibly on the dark side tone-wise but definately better than the other <5 watt tube combos under $250 that I tried. I think I'll probably swap the speaker to a Weber 8" if I went for one. Just want to see if there are any owners out there and what they think? Also, made any changes to these little guys?
I was in your shoes last december when I picked mine up. I LOVE it, and in my apt on .1 watts, there are some great tones to be had. Much better than pedals, though it takes the well. I use a boost if anything.

Heres my experience....

-The stock speaker is excellent, it is made for this amp (seriously) and you can tell. I assumed a $130 amp would need a speaker upgrade. The Weber Sig 8 alnico I put in just didnt to it for me. Seemed harsh, brittle, and thin. It does move the tone a bit towards the fender champ-but this things marshall/voxy tone is too good to pass by. I do have a very lightly used sig 8 if your interested. Perhaps because the cab is nice and big for an 8 inch speaker its more effiecient-but this amp does not hurt on the bottom end. With an EQ you can pull off princton-like tones.

-Tubes make a HUGE difference-this amp only uses 2, so you can REALLY hear the difference. Pull the stock ones and put em in the back as spares you will not regret losing. I ended up scoring an old GE longplate 12ax7. Immediatly the overall tone and gain improved. The old sylvanias sound great too. Before I had read up on tubes, I sprung for a New Mullard long plate-it sounded thin and had lots of buzz.

For powertubes, I tried a rubytube, but then I read up on Saratov tubes here, and I LOVE them. They are old Soviet tubes, and can be had cheap. I got 8 shipped from the Ukraine for 20 bucks. Much more bottom, clearer top end, and smoother mids. It sounds louder, but that may be the enhanced basss and treble-just what this amp needs. One cool thing about the V5 is its single ended and uses just one power tube-so you dont need to worry about matched tubes, etc. And with the Saratovs you dont feel bad about burning through tubes, though they are actually milspec.

-The reverb is NOT bad, could be much worse actually. It takes boosts, and OD's quite well, its made to be slammed. Opening up the tone knob will get you quite a bit more output. I have not used it with an extention speaker yet, and though the line out is usable, it is a bit harsh. For recording I still use a speaker sim. I only wish it had a loop, but hey, its a 5 watter. I did pull the tube cage but rattle was not an issue.

lang.murphy
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I was in your shoes last december when I picked mine up. I LOVE it, and in my apt on .1 watts, there are some great tones to be had. Much better than pedals, though it takes the well. I use a boost if anything.

Heres my experience....

Nice post. I tried one at the local GC and was fairly impressed. I thought it sounded WAY better than the Vox ACTV4, and I'm a huge Vox fan.

Davo17
06-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Nice post. I tried one at the local GC and was fairly impressed. I thought it sounded WAY better than the Vox ACTV4, and I'm a huge Vox fan.
I did the same, and it killed the Vox, the little gretch, and the champ reissue. As time goes on-its more and more clear how great this little amp is. Im stoked about this amp, and its a $150 piece.

KmCyPreSs
06-08-2010, 12:36 PM
I did the same, and it killed the Vox, the little gretch, and the champ reissue. As time goes on-its more and more clear how great this little amp is. Im stoked about this amp, and its a $150 piece.

picking one up on thursday. got it for $99.

KmCyPreSs
06-08-2010, 12:37 PM

picking one up on thursday. for $99 I had to. Interesting that you said not to switch out the speaker...I was planning on it but I'll def give it a while before I jump into that to test the waters on the stock speaker. Where'd you buy the Saratov tubes?

Davo17
06-08-2010, 12:47 PM
picking one up on thursday. for $99 I had to. Interesting that you said not to switch out the speaker...I was planning on it but I'll def give it a while before I jump into that to test the waters on the stock speaker. Where'd you buy the Saratov tubes?
Ill pm you. Im seriously considering getting another to run in stereo.

Davo17
06-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Let us know how you like it.

xStonr
06-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I got one when they first came out and it sounded terrible. Very very thin sounding. After a tube change and speaker change, running it through a cab I decided it was too much trouble to get a decent sound out of it. On paper it seems great. 5 watts, attenuator, reverb, PT w/4,8, and 16 ohm taps. For me it just didn't cut it.

Davo17
06-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I got one when they first came out and it sounded terrible. Very very thin sounding. After a tube change and speaker change, running it through a cab I decided it was too much trouble to get a decent sound out of it. On paper it seems great. 5 watts, attenuator, reverb, PT w/4,8, and 16 ohm taps. For me it just didn't cut it.
Funny you say that, I got the Weber Alnico based on your experiences-but I thought it made the amp sound thin, buzzy, and harsh. The stock speaker on the other hand was awesome-I assumed an "upgrade" would be in order, but as of now Im happy with what I got.

Clearly tone is subjective.

Alton
06-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Anyone try this Bugera 5w with a harp? I've been picking the harp back up and have been thinking that the 5w would be a good amp for that.

KmCyPreSs
06-10-2010, 07:40 PM
just got mine today and got 20 mins on it. still all stock but i dig what i'm hearing so far. I like that it retains clarity...too many of the small combos are about getting crunch at low volumes. while I like a good breakup, I wasn't looking for too much. This thing can get intense but the clean sound is there. My only complaint thus far is that i wish the tone knob had a little bit more of an impact. it is a dark sounding amp...even with a tele. Still plan on doing a few modifications. wondering if i can install a bright switch or some kind of mod to make it more interactive. more to follow by sunday once i've sat down with it more.

Maruuk
06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Who's got em for $99?

KmCyPreSs
06-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Who's got em for $99?

oh. a guy on craigslist did :D

Davo17
06-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Anyone try this Bugera 5w with a harp? I've been picking the harp back up and have been thinking that the 5w would be a good amp for that.

I cant help but think the same. Its worth a shot.

Davo17
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
just got mine today and got 20 mins on it. still all stock but i dig what i'm hearing so far. I like that it retains clarity...too many of the small combos are about getting crunch at low volumes. while I like a good breakup, I wasn't looking for too much. This thing can get intense but the clean sound is there. My only complaint thus far is that i wish the tone knob had a little bit more of an impact. it is a dark sounding amp...even with a tele. Still plan on doing a few modifications. wondering if i can install a bright switch or some kind of mod to make it more interactive. more to follow by sunday once i've sat down with it more.

Are you playing it at .1 watt? If so try it at a higher setting with the gain down. Also, a real 12ax7 is both warmer and has more top end, with better clarity. I usually leave the tone dimed at .1 watts.

Alton
06-14-2010, 07:24 PM
I cant help but think the same. Its worth a shot.

Me too. Right now I'm practicing with an Epiphone BC 30. It's got great tone but only at higher volumes and I know it's too doggone heavy to be lugging around.

When opportunity presents itself I think I'll nab the Bug 5w.

Davo17
06-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Me too. Right now I'm practicing with an Epiphone BC 30. It's got great tone but only at higher volumes and I know it's too doggone heavy to be lugging around.

When opportunity presents itself I think I'll nab the Bug 5w.

Let us know how it turns out. You can really work the tubes on these suckers.

Davo17
06-18-2010, 07:35 PM
So I been cranking my V5 over the past couple days, all the way up with no attenator while im housesitting. Its a spicy meatball for sure. There was a bit of high end sizzle-which I generally dont like but it has been much reduced just over 2-3 hours cranked. I plan to swap the stock speaker with the Weber Alnico Sig 8 just to compare cranked tones.

Too bad I cant crank this sucker at my apt, its WAY too loud for that.

The cranked tone of V5 with a high output bucker reminds me of the rhythm tones on this song-which is a great place to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVfjXA_QY0

Also, it sounds huge with a tube screamer. I love this amp.

Davo17
06-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Ive been house sitting all week and I brought my V5 along to crank, which I cant do at my apt.

Man it sounds even better. The speaker smoothed out quite a bit after several hours cranked. I love this thing!

bluesking55
06-24-2010, 01:28 PM
I just got 1, didnt wanna buy used,good to know about the speaker. gonna replace the tubes tonite, love it so far

VicAjax
06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
this little thing looks great to me... i'm a bit worried about its dark tone, though. i'll be playing a Tele and a Ric through it, both pretty bright guitars.

anyone think i'd be better off picking up a little VibroChamp XD?

bluesking55
06-29-2010, 03:57 PM
this little thing looks great to me... i'm a bit worried about its dark tone, though. i'll be playing a Tele and a Ric through it, both pretty bright guitars.

Ive have/had both, vibochamp is ok, doesnt take pedals well thru the digital side of the amp, toooo compressed

Love the V-5, concept is great, fun lil champy amp
change the tubes, have fun

VicAjax
06-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Ive have/had both, vibochamp is ok, doesnt take pedals well thru the digital side of the amp, toooo compressed

Love the V-5, concept is great, fun lil champy amp
change the tubes, have fun

see that's what i'm looking for; something champy but a tad more versatile. reverb and gain and switchable wattage is perfect.

but i don't want to have to dime the tone to get any high end... would rolling some new tubes in be enough to fix that?

Davo17
06-30-2010, 08:36 PM

Its not that dark at high volume. Attenuated it does get a little dark, but so do most amps. The tube compression kinda makes up for that, IMO.

At high volumes, this thing LOVES single coils. Your guitars will sound awesome through the V5. I have an 04' AMSE 50th anniversary strat, with the 54 pups in it. They are very bright pups and they sing through the Bugera. BTW-scoop the mids, and boost the bass and treble a bit with an EQ pedal and this thing will do princeton cleans as well.

Ive only played the vibrochamp in the store, and I gotta say it sounded like boo boo. Very digital to me. The Bugeras reverb sounds great.

Davo17
07-06-2010, 07:00 PM
You try those Saratovs yet?

KmCyPreSs
07-07-2010, 12:04 AM
no i almost went for one but at the moment i switched out the stock ones for something else (cant remember the name). Working pretty well with my tele...i really like the 1 watt attenuation. still maybe a tad on the dark side (i have the tone knob almost dimed on the bridge pickup with my tele) but not too bad.

Starrman
07-07-2010, 01:49 AM
I have one on order. I have been using a friends V5 in the interim. It is great for a 5 watt amp. To me it is just a little dark, which my friend likes. However, I like it better than the other choices which inlude the modern Fender Champ, Vox AC4, Valve Jr, etc.

Love how it smooths out as it warms up. When I get mine, I will definitely look into new tubes (though it won't be right away as I am on a tight budget).

Absolutely love this little amp.:bow

Davo17
07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I have one on order. I have been using a friends V5 in the interim. It is great for a 5 watt amp. To me it is just a little dark, which my friend likes. However, I like it better than the other choices which inlude the modern Fender Champ, Vox AC4, Valve Jr, etc.

Love how it smooths out as it warms up. When I get mine, I will definitely look into new tubes (though it won't be right away as I am on a tight budget).

Absolutely love this little amp.:bow
Yeah they rock. I wonder how it would sound with a treble booster?

Ryan
08-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I'll bump this thread. I love my V5. I used it at church last weekend, and it sounded huge. Took delay, drive, boost, mod, everything on my board very well. I was running it at 5w, tone on 7, gain 5, volume 9, reverb 2. Sounded great in my ears, as well as in the house. I have a Weber Sig 8S on the way, I'm hoping that I can get a little more usable range out of the tone control with that slightly brighter speaker. I haven't swapped the tubes yet, but I'm going to put some JJ's in there. Great little amp, especially if you are miking it!

Maruuk
08-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Tip: I got one in a sealed box that once home sounded awful and had a bad headphone setup to boot (the reverb had this super-noisy tail on it and there were crackles on transients). Recommend you play the actual one you plan to buy at the store before you buy it, and check the headphone sound as well. If I got a random one that was a lemon, you might too. From the preponderance of joy over this thing, I have to assume what I got was unusual, but possible. Play it first, save some gas and trouble.

Davo17
08-03-2010, 02:05 PM
I'll bump this thread. I love my V5. I used it at church last weekend, and it sounded huge. Took delay, drive, boost, mod, everything on my board very well. I was running it at 5w, tone on 7, gain 5, volume 9, reverb 2. Sounded great in my ears, as well as in the house. I have a Weber Sig 8S on the way, I'm hoping that I can get a little more usable range out of the tone control with that slightly brighter speaker. I haven't swapped the tubes yet, but I'm going to put some JJ's in there. Great little amp, especially if you are miking it!
Are you going with the Ceramic or Alinico? I found the non-ribbed alnico to be very bright. I never cranked it though.

Davo17
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Tip: I got one in a sealed box that once home sounded awful and had a bad headphone setup to boot (the reverb had this super-noisy tail on it and there were crackles on transients). Recommend you play the actual one you plan to buy at the store before you buy it, and check the headphone sound as well. If I got a random one that was a lemon, you might too. From the preponderance of joy over this thing, I have to assume what I got was unusual, but possible. Play it first, save some gas and trouble.

The speaker sim doesnt sound the greatest, id rather have a line out then that simulator.

Now into the internal speaker or especially a good extention speaker this thing sounds HUGE. I love that raw vintage tone. MUCH better than pedals.

Maruuk
08-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Mine sounded hugely bad and boxy, so I look forward to hearing a good one.

Ryan
08-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Are you going with the Ceramic or Alinico? I found the non-ribbed alnico to be very bright. I never cranked it though.

I'm going with the Alnico 8S, the ribbed cone. My thinking is that since the amp is really dark already, this brighter speaker will liven things up. I'd be curious to run it through both speakers and see what happens. Not sure how that'd work, since it's a 4ohm out. Would it be 4 ohms if I wired it up like so, but with only the two speakers?:

http://www.bcae1.com/images/gifs/spk4sp4.gif

Maruuk
08-03-2010, 04:05 PM
It's not nearly as dark as the VJ. That is seriously dark.

Davo17
08-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Mine sounded hugely bad and boxy, so I look forward to hearing a good one.
Really? I thought it does a great job of not sounding like a little 5 watt combo. The nice big cab helps.

Davo17
08-06-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm going with the Alnico 8S, the ribbed cone. My thinking is that since the amp is really dark already, this brighter speaker will liven things up. I'd be curious to run it through both speakers and see what happens. Not sure how that'd work, since it's a 4ohm out. Would it be 4 ohms if I wired it up like so, but with only the two speakers?:

http://www.bcae1.com/images/gifs/spk4sp4.gif
Im not sure actually. That reminds me, I plan to put the weber into crappy little fender closed back bass amp cab. I think it may add some bottom. I wonder how running both the extention AND the internal speaker would sound.

Davo17
08-06-2010, 10:42 AM
It's not nearly as dark as the VJ. That is seriously dark.
For cleans Ive been using the 1 watt setting, with volume maxed and gain around 3. Sounds GREAT with my very bright strat (ash/maple, 54 pups)-the thing just slams this amp in the best way possible.:love:

Dave LaP
08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
It kills at the 5 watt setting with gain and volumes pretty much maxed.

Any lower volume/gain settings are nice to OK but the dimed 5 watt sound is coooool!

Ryan
08-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Just installed the Weber Sig8-S alnico, and swapped in some JJ tubes. It was good before, now it's great. The tone control is more usable, it doesn't have to be dimed to get clarity. Drive right now has a little fizz, but that will dissipate as the speaker breaks in. I'm going to look into a Mercury Magnetics OT and see what that does. I have this crazy idea to get another one and build an enclosure to make a 4x8 stereo combo..

Davo17
08-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Just installed the Weber Sig8-S alnico, and swapped in some JJ tubes. It was good before, now it's great. The tone control is more usable, it doesn't have to be dimed to get clarity. Drive right now has a little fizz, but that will dissipate as the speaker breaks in. I'm going to look into a Mercury Magnetics OT and see what that does. I have this crazy idea to get another one and build an enclosure to make a 4x8 stereo combo..
That IS crazy, but Ill bet it will sound crazy cool!

I purchased an OCD yesterday and holy crap, its MADE for this amp.

Ryan
08-10-2010, 01:28 PM
As cheap as these things are, it's hard to not mess around with them.

Davo17
08-10-2010, 01:36 PM
As cheap as these things are, it's hard to not mess around with them.
Id love an effects loop, since there reverb I bet it wouldnt be too hard to make one.

Ryan
08-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I e-mailed Mercury Magnetics about an OT upgrade and this is what they said:

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for contacting me at Mercury Magnetics.

We offer two different upgrade OT’s for that Bugera V5 amp.

The SE-9K is perfect for use with the single EL84/6BQ5/6V6 type tube. This OT has a single 4 ohm secondary tap.

We also offer the SE-9K-M. This OT is the same as the OT listed above but it has 4-8-16 ohm secondary taps.

Both OT’s are considerably larger than the stock OT and really open up the tonality of the amp.

Best Regards,

Paul

The 4 ohm one is $150 and the 4-8-16 is $170. That's a quick way to double the value of the amp! ;)

Toogy
08-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Can anyone give me an idea of how big this amp is? It looks tiny on their webpage!

And is it loud enough to hang with a drummer for the occasional jam?

Ryan
08-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Can anyone give me an idea of how big this amp is? It looks tiny on their webpage!

And is it loud enough to hang with a drummer for the occasional jam?

Here's a pic of it in my living room:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs233.snc4/38982_842279108847_9602726_45222058_3583159_n.jpg

Does that give you an idea? I'd think that it could hang with a light drummer in a small room, but don't expect much in the way of clean headroom at that point.

Davo17
08-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I e-mailed Mercury Magnetics about an OT upgrade and this is what they said:

The 4 ohm one is $150 and the 4-8-16 is $170. That's a quick way to double the value of the amp! ;)
Very interesting, whos gonna be the first to do it? Id be interested in clips.

i got an OCD the other day and I remember thinking that the amp I bought it for costs less then the pedal. Of course I bet through a vintage 30 the bugeras mids will rock,

Davo17
08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Here's a pic of it in my living room:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs233.snc4/38982_842279108847_9602726_45222058_3583159_n.jpg

Does that give you an idea? I'd think that it could hang with a light drummer in a small room, but don't expect much in the way of clean headroom at that point.

Keeping the amp elevated like that helps too. I love how this amp is loud enough to rock and not enough to hurt the ears.:love: I use this pedal called the Snarling Dogs veri-tone.

monkmiles
09-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Question to the V5 owners out there...

I'm considering one for practicing at home at very low volume. Low enough that my daughter can sleep/nap and I can still play. I have a Fender SCXD, but even at its lowest volume, it's too loud. So I'm wondering between the 1/10th watt setting of the V5 and its headphone output, that it might work well for this?

Also, how is the headphone jack? Does overdriven/distorted tones come through nicely using it?

Otherwise, I might go for a Micro Cube or DA5, but an all tube option like the V5 might be nicer.

Toneseeker361
09-10-2010, 07:11 PM

I'm considering one for practicing at home at very low volume. Low enough that my daughter can sleep/nap and I can still play. I have a Fender SCXD, but even at its lowest volume, it's too loud. So I'm wondering between the 1/10th watt setting of the V5 and its headphone output, that it might work well for this?

Also, how is the headphone jack? Does overdriven/distorted tones come through nicely using it?

Otherwise, I might go for a Micro Cube or DA5, but an all tube option like the V5 might be nicer.
I have a scxd also, and i bought a passive L-pad (attenuator) from partsexpress.com for 12.50.
if you want it quiet, but still want that tube overdrive sound, this helped me. I goes from off, and I can dial any volume I want, all the way up to wide open.
it is installed between the speaker out and the speaker, after the tubes.
it absorbs the exess amplified signal and turns it into heat. the sound is not affected, thats what it is designed to do. works like a charm.

I still found an exuse to buy the V5. SWEEEET. the headphone jack sounds kind....eeehh..kinda thin. don't expect to be blown away.
for me it is satisfactory.
The stock speaker sounds way coool, dark and rich.
But the rest of the features are worth the price.
I bought mine used at GC "used gear" for 89.99.
it just needed new tubes.
Better than the Champ 600 I had.

Davo17
09-11-2010, 07:16 PM

This thing gets whisper quiet at .1 watt, with the gain and volume rolled down a bit. However, you can still crank the gain, and keep the master down.

My "midnight" setup is a tube screamer, into a comp, into the Bugera. With an EQ to boost the bass and treble, cleans will sound good at low levels too. Sounds great. Reverb adds some depth at low levels too.:love:

The headphone jack sounds just ok, but its works and you can record direct or through a speaker sim. My Tech-21 Tri-AC does this well.

Davo17
09-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I have a scxd also, and i bought a passive L-pad (attenuator) from partsexpress.com for 12.50.
if you want it quiet, but still want that tube overdrive sound, this helped me. I goes from off, and I can dial any volume I want, all the way up to wide open.
it is installed between the speaker out and the speaker, after the tubes.
it absorbs the exess amplified signal and turns it into heat. the sound is not affected, thats what it is designed to do. works like a charm.

I still found an exuse to buy the V5. SWEEEET. the headphone jack sounds kind....eeehh..kinda thin. don't expect to be blown away.
for me it is satisfactory.
The stock speaker sounds way coool, dark and rich.
But the rest of the features are worth the price.
I bought mine used at GC "used gear" for 89.99.
it just needed new tubes.
Better than the Champ 600 I had.
Nice to know that others admire the stock amps speakers too! They are made for this amp and it shows.

Toneseeker361
09-11-2010, 10:17 PM
mine sounds great witha boss ge7 eq. i love it! so much i got the v22! holy crap! I did install jj pre amp tubes and kept the bugera power tubes.
cant stop playing.

monkmiles
09-12-2010, 07:01 AM
This thing gets whisper quiet at .1 watt, with the gain and volume rolled down a bit. However, you can still crank the gain, and keep the master down.

My "midnight" setup is a tube screamer, into a comp, into the Bugera. With an EQ to boost the bass and treble, cleans will sound good at low levels too. Sounds great. Reverb adds some depth at low levels too.:love:

Very cool. That would work for me.

The headphone jack sounds just ok, but its works and you can record direct or through a speaker sim.

So the headphone output doesn't already have speaker simulation?

Davo17
09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
So the headphone output doesn't already have speaker simulation?
The headphone out has "some" speaker simulation. I guess you could tolerate it with phones or for direct recording...but its harsh. Thats the one odd thing about the feature, id have preferred a direct out to the speaker "sim" included. However, run into a recorder it sounds ok though its better through a real sim, IMO.

mono
09-13-2010, 09:21 AM
thanks!

Davo17
09-13-2010, 12:42 PM
hey, can i get a link to that saratov website???

http://rover.ebay.com/ar/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?mpt=[CacheBuster]&adtype=1&size=1x1&type=4&campid=5335828753&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%2F%3F_from%3DR40%2 6_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D6P14P%26_saca t%3DSee-All-Categorieshttp://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=6P14P&_sacat=See-All-Categories (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=5335828753&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%2F%3F_from%3DR40%2 6_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D6P14P%26_saca t%3DSee-All-Categories)

Antihero
02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I know im bumping up an old post, but i stumbled across this and wanted to mention that i love my v5. I kept the stock tubes so far, but i replaced the speaker with a Jensen Mod 8/20 and it seriously opened up the amp. Now it just seems louder and bigger sounding all around, well worth the 24 bucks i paid for the speaker and much better the the weber alnico.

Davo17
02-06-2011, 08:49 PM
I know im bumping up an old post, but i stumbled across this and wanted to mention that i love my v5. I kept the stock tubes so far, but i replaced the speaker with a Jensen Mod 8/20 and it seriously opened up the amp. Now it just seems louder and bigger sounding all around, well worth the 24 bucks i paid for the speaker and much better the the weber alnico.

Awesome, I swapped the Weber sig 8 back in this Christmas and gave it another shot-still didnt like it, so the stock speaker went back in.

New tubes really help as well.

wanito
03-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi just purchased the bugera today.

Of course (following the natual progression of a tweaker) then came apon this site and your reation the amp was exactly mine (needs a brite switch).

I am using a tele and at this point could just pull off the tone knob at 10. Played the amp full up and yes it does sound briter but worried not enogh when I switch to my strat.

Rather than an EQ pedal I am wondering about your thoughts on speakers did you feel the other you tried cheapened the amp even thought it britened it? also what was your final choice of tubes it sounds like we have the same ears.

And can anyone decribe what the jensen speaker adds as far as the tone?

Antihero
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Of course (following the natual progression of a tweaker) then came apon this site and your reation the amp was exactly mine (needs a brite switch).

I am using a tele and at this point could just pull off the tone knob at 10. Played the amp full up and yes it does sound briter but worried not enogh when I switch to my strat.

Rather than an EQ pedal I am wondering about your thoughts on speakers did you feel the other you tried cheapened the amp even thought it britened it? also what was your final choice of tubes it sounds like we have the same ears.

The Jensen adds power,lowend,clarity and punch compared to the stock speaker. The Weber Alnico sig 8 was way brighter and weaker sounding.

wanito
03-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Would you say the jensen does nothing to help the treble?

That pretty much is my only issue with the amp and wondering why webber speakers are mentioned alot for a replacment speaker, I guess because it is brite.

I am currently working on a installing a brite cap mod on the amp.

Antihero
03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Would you say the jensen does nothing to help the treble?

That pretty much is my only issue with the amp and wondering why webber speakers are mentioned alot for a replacment speaker, I guess because it is brite.

I am currently working on a installing a brite cap mod on the amp.

Not really. Personally i found the amp to be on the bright side anyway. I will say that i dont set the tone any higher than with the stock speaker.

wanito
03-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks Antihero.

Looks like I will be returning the jensen mod after it gets here.

I was hoping to get intouch with davo because he and I seemed to agree on the lack of bright on our amps. He seemed to dislike the webber speakers even though it was described as brite so I trying to find something that will work. I am hearing the curve on a jensen cs is the brightest.

I ran this through a 12inch old 8ohm yamaha speaker yesterday the amp souned perfect! It was awsome all the treble I needed. The amp is seriously being restricted by the 8inch speaker.

Thanks for your help.

Davo17
03-25-2011, 11:13 AM

I personally found the stock speaker to have better definition and more clarity. The alnico Sig 8 was thin sounding, and a bit harsh. I had the non-ribbed one, which is supposed to have a lower volume breakup. I did not break the speaker in, though I dont think it would drastically change the tone. In the end, it did cheapen the tone, it made the amp sound like an little transistor radio. One thing that impressed me about the V5 was that it sounded bigger then it was. A trick for extra brightness, run it at 5 watts, gain up, but master down. Im sure youve noticed you get a much higher signal with the tone maxed as well.

Im really interested in the Ceramic Weber, but I have enough expenses at the moment, as I just picked up a Baja tele.

I highly recommend the saratov power tubes. They are dirt cheap and wiped the floor with the stock tube and the Ruby Tubes I tried. The Saratovs are not microphonic, and add a fair amount of bass, treble, and clarity. I put one in my Marshall Class 5 and it sounded huge in that too.

The real tone change is in the preamp tube, however. I ended up using some old vintage preamp tubes, all of which were fairly cheap and sounded huge compared to the harsh stock pre. I cant recommend the Mullard long plate, as its very noisy. Im still mad i paid 20 bucks for that, I could have bought another speaker for close to that. The Grove tube chinese 12ax7s sound just so-so. I have a stock "marshall tube doctor" tube from my Marshall that I plan try.

The Bugera tubes will soon go bad, so I recommend you get some new tubes in asap, and save those crappy tubes as backups in the back of the amp-you wont feel bad if you lose them somehow.

Let us know what you go with and how you like the mods!

Antihero
03-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks Antihero.

Looks like I will be returning the jensen mod after it gets here.

I was hoping to get intouch with davo because he and I seemed to agree on the lack of bright on our amps. He seemed to dislike the webber speakers even though it was described as brite so I trying to find something that will work. I am hearing the curve on a jensen cs is the brightest.

I ran this through a 12inch old 8ohm yamaha speaker yesterday the amp souned perfect! It was awsome all the treble I needed. The amp is seriously being restricted by the 8inch speaker.

Thanks for your help.

If you like ive still got the alnico weber laying about that i can give you a good price on, or even if you'd like to trade for the Jensen as a lot of times you cant return speakers.

8 inch speakers are a serious compromise though, most 12's will sound better.

wanito
03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the replys I was away this weekend.

Just got finished playing the amp stock, very sweet amp as is, but unbelivable through a 12 inch!

I talked with the guys at tube depot and mentioned I needed more high end and they recommended the tung sol for the AX position. That will be my first mod, then the Jensen then the bright cap.

I will post if any improvements.

Very good tip on the master and gain mixing it did help! This amp has alot of that early recorded zep stuff. They say page recorded it all with a very small practice amp.

Thanks

wanito
03-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Update: I added the Jensen MOD today and it is worth it, clearer more musical, big improvement over the stock. Hope it gets better as it breaks in.

I think if the Tung-Sol tube brightens it up a tad I'm done. :dude

Antihero
03-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Update: I added the Jensen MOD today and it is worth it, clearer more musical, big improvement over the stock. Hope it gets better as it breaks in.

I think if the Tung-Sol tube brightens it up a tad I'm done. :dude

Glad it worked out for you, personally i was shocked at how much of a difference it made. Ive also still got the stock tubes in it and like the sound, but ill probably try something else to see what it does.

If you want to try out the weber or whatever my offer still stands too.

wanito
03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the offer but I think I am good to go I just wanmt to put some hours into the Jensen to break it in.

Yes it helps to get the sound closer to the 12inch I was amazed at how the small speaker ruins the amp.

The Tung sol should be here today.

poseido
03-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Hey Wanito, whats your Jensen Mod specifically? Which tubes and which speaker did you drop in?

Would also appreciate maybe a link where you get the specific items as It gets overwhelming tracking these things... I know people would say GOOGLE but would appreciate your help...

Antihero
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Hey Wanito, whats your Jensen Mod specifically? Which tubes and which speaker did you drop in?

Would also appreciate maybe a link where you get the specific items as It gets overwhelming tracking these things... I know people would say GOOGLE but would appreciate your help...

Its probably the Mod 8-20 as i believe its the only 8 inch Mod Jensen makes.

poseido
03-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks! Will search and read up on that...

wanito
03-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Right now the only thing I have done is switched out the stock speaker with a "New Jensen Mod 8 Speaker for Fender Champs" from ebay.

Next changed the AX tube to a tung-sol tube.

Things are shaping up I am very happy and have enough treble when I use a tele or single coil strat, but its still so-so when I move to my strat with a humbucker, so I will be doing a brite cap mod if the cap ever gets here.

poseido
03-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Cool! Let me know how it goes. I just got this amp and when played with a guitar with low output humbuckers, its kinda too dark.

Davo17
03-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Cool! Let me know how it goes. I just got this amp and when played with a guitar with low output humbuckers, its kinda too dark.

Thats true. Its better suited to singlecoils, IMO.

wanito
04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
I did the Bugera V5 Bright Cap Mod (google for instructions)

This helped alot more so in the 1 to .01 modes that were almost unuseble now they sound so much better.

I can now play the strat with a humbucker in those two modes and in the 5watt I am turning the tone back to 6.

Thats it. I bought the amp for $125 added $50 bucks and now have an amp I can bring to practice! I was with my drummer last night and only used the .01 at a volume of 3 with his electronic kit and it still felt loud.

If I could say anything here if you are thinking of these updates I would have at least wished I bought a 10inch after hearing the 12inch difference, but it would have also been alot more work in making the sound hole bigger.

poseido
04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Where did you order yours? Does it rattle at 5w when played louder?

Also was wondering if these mods fixed the rattle?

I am really torn because I love the sound but it just rattles when played louder.

Davo17
04-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I never had rattle, but I removed the tube cage and put in decent pups.

No rattle.

poseido
04-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Is it fairly new? Maybe my issues are because I got it used?

Antihero
04-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I also dont have a rattle, have you check that everything that has a screw in it is tight? Maybe take off the tube cage?

poseido
04-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah and all is tight. Havent tried the cage yet though. I got it used for cheap but if spending extra 50 on a new one is worth it, i could still exchange. Was just afraid if its a common issue or a random one.

Antihero
04-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I got mine new, but ive played it dimed with a very dark/bassy LP for many hours, and still no rattle.

Maybe an exchange is warranted.

poseido
04-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks for your input. Hope my local shop has a new one I can test.

Antihero
04-01-2011, 10:36 PM
If not, MF has them and a good return policy.

wanito
04-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Everything I've read about rattles refer's to either the cage and making sure the tubes are well seated and don't vibrate.

My cage is off, no rattles.

poseido
04-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Okay so just returned it. We tested it by kind of sticking the eraser part of the pencil to isolate the rattle. Tubes are fine. Cage is fine. As we touch the top part of the speakers, the rattle dissappears. They dont have a new one is stock so... I am "thinking" over this now.

Antihero
04-03-2011, 02:26 AM
Okay so just returned it. We tested it by kind of sticking the eraser part of the pencil to isolate the rattle. Tubes are fine. Cage is fine. As we touch the top part of the speakers, the rattle dissappears. They dont have a new one is stock so... I am "thinking" over this now.

Did you try tightening down the speaker?

poseido
04-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah we did. Tightened it. Loosened a bit. Still there. So I am now thinking of ordering a new one fingers crossed or a different one (Although I cant find any at this price point)

Antihero
04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
GC used site sometimes has some deals.

wanito
04-04-2011, 03:07 PM
On my jensen MOD replacement speaker I had a slight rattle, I traced to the speaker and it was the connectors (wire connectors on speaker itself) I soldered it so it could not move in any way then resoldered wire from amp rattle gone.

wanito
04-04-2011, 04:16 PM
These v5's have went up in price ($149 to $196) has anyone heard of any improvements with the 2011 versions?

Davo17
04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
These v5's have went up in price ($149 to $196) has anyone heard of any improvements with the 2011 versions?

I have not. Id imagine they would announce updates to the entire line when they do-including the V22.

BTW-this is still a GREAT little amp.

poseido
04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Oh I sure hope improvements were done if any was wrong as I am about to order it blind. The rattle btw from my experience shook and vibrated the chassis so I wonder what a tube rattle sounds like.

wanito
04-05-2011, 08:11 AM
I agree great little amp!

Try gently pushing the tubes from side to side. Then leave it close against any side touching the black rubber gromet surrounding the tube hole.

Recheck every screw (including handle) and make sure speaker wire w/1/4 inch plug is not against anything! It needs to float.

ckalinec
05-03-2011, 01:30 AM
I didn't want to make a whole new thread so I'm bumping up this ancient one.

I'm looking to swap the tubes out in mine to get some more headroom, Mine is breaking up too early. Any suggestions?

Davo17
05-03-2011, 01:38 AM
I didn't want to make a whole new thread so I'm bumping up this ancient one.

I'm looking to swap the tubes out in mine to get some more headroom, Mine is breaking up too early. Any suggestions?

Saratovs.

dietmarsimon
08-08-2011, 07:54 AM
I've had this frustrating rattling on my Bugera Vintage 5 right from the first moment. It was not a constant problem, it seems much more a problem of specific frequencies, that cause kind of vibrations to the chassis.
So I disassembled the entire chassis and checked EVERY screw carefully, then I glued a thin wool felt to every part of the amp chassis which is in contact to the case.
Well, the rattle was still there, so I decided to change the tubes to Gold Lions from TAD, other's had been following. Not too expensive, so it was worth trying it. First of all there has been a sound improvement, but the rattle was still ........... there !
Then I came up with the glorious idea, to disconnect the interior speaker (that I really like) and plugged in my old Marshall JCM 800 Lead as a cabinet.
The rattle has been gone, but I did not like the sound that much. I has been loosing it's directness a little bit. So I decided to accept that little Rattle'n Roller as he is.
3 months later another gear freak told me to try to get vintage NOS tubes, if not too expensive.
I ordered a 12 AX7WA Jan Reytheon American Made and a Brimar EL 84 British Made and had a great sunset. The sound improved remarkably and the rattling disappeared completely. Don't ask me why these tubes are so much better than all the various more or less expensive new types I had been trying out, and why all the new tubes had not been able to eliminate the rattling.
But this is my very own experience, and I'm really happy that I've had all the patience not to smash that little Bugera bastard. It's my favourite amp today together with a PRX - 902 Amp Emulator.

martinb28
08-16-2011, 01:15 PM
I have a V5 and I love it. Great tones for a $150 5w practice amp. I do think it has too much bass and I am required to crank up the tone knob to get the tone I want. I replaced the preamp tube with a JJ but haven't touched the power tube yet. What are these Saratovs everyone keeps talking about? I checked ebay and saw a bunch, but have no idea which one to get. It seems they call their tubes different names than we do.

I am just looking to clean up the low end, brighten the sound a tad, and overall improve tone and response. I thought about putting in a new speaker but would rather just play through a 12". Any thoughts on building a new box for it and using a 12"? What about replacing the transformer? Or some of the internal parts? At $150 they had to cheap out on lots of the parts. I'd love to change them up and make this my go to amp. I cant get my Hot Rod Deville to sound good without pissing off the whole neighborhood.

Davo17
08-16-2011, 11:16 PM
What are these Saratovs everyone keeps talking about? I checked ebay and saw a bunch, but have no idea which one to get. It seems they call their tubes different names than we do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TESTED-PAIR-6P14P-EV-6P14P-EL84-NOS-Tube-/250873309124?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a6936e7c4#ht_3882wt_1082

davidlday
08-20-2011, 12:49 PM
I've had mine for about a year now. Did not care for it when I first got it due to lack of top end. I'll pull it out occasionally when I see something new, and today finally got the amp to where I want it.

I did the 'bright cap' mod about a year ago - got a little top end, but not much.

Next I replaced the tubes with Mullards - that helped a bit, but still no bright top end like one would expect in something like a Blues Jr.

Next I replaced the speaker with an Eminence Lady Luck and that helped the top end A LOT. But still not where I wanted it. Some say that using a 16 ohm speaker on a 4 ohm out will result in a reduction in loudness - but I can't tell a differnece there.

Then finally today, I put a 220 pf ceramic cap across R14 which if you look closely is the resistor coming off of the 12AX7 cathode pin. IMO there should have been a cap there to begin with to make sure the top end was passing through - and that did the trick!!!

Finally - after a year of messing with this amp - it sounds the way I want it.

DDay

DonTN
09-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Then finally today, I put a 220 pf ceramic cap across R14 which if you look closely is the resistor coming off of the 12AX7 cathode pin. IMO there should have been a cap there to begin with to make sure the top end was passing through - and that did the trick!!!

Finally - after a year of messing with this amp - it sounds the way I want it.

DDay

I just did this one mod for adding the 220pf capacitor to piggy back the R14 resistor and went from liking my Bugera V5 to loving it. Definitely seems to take pedals a lot better now too. Again have had this amp for over a year and have always liked it but now it is a lot better IMHO. Oh and a person might consider adding this capacitor mod in series with an external mounted mini toggle switch to change the TOP END brightness from on/off. :)

Thanks for the TIP

Oh and this is the way I think the Bugera V5 should look and think I will modify mine to resemble this one that a fella on another forum has altered for a V5 head:

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/showthread.php?tid=8179
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BckJSQvOo44/TeHJVHJN0gI/AAAAAAAAEtw/HZ92FcGY9a4/s640/bughead1.png

davidc2478
09-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Hey guys what's up. I've had my Bugey since last Christmas. I love it! I think the quality is great! My problem is like everyone else...the sound is on the "dark" side. I put in a Jenson C8r and some JJ tubes which opened it up a little. So far so good, but I still use a Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ pedal with 200hz rolled off about -5db and 400hz rolled off around -12db.

It sounds good this way but would like to do the Cap mod over R14. Did you guys use a silver mica cap or just a regular disc-type? Also, what voltage? I saw some cheap caps labeled220pf 500Volts. Is this ok?

I use a Fender American Strat into a Morley Bad Horsie Wah, then EQ, then a modded Boss SD1 (Moddest Mike) and into a MXR Carbon Copy to the amp.

BTW - The Bugera v5 head mod looks AMAZING!! I want!

davidc2478
09-07-2011, 10:36 PM
OK here's an update...

I swapped out the JJ 12ax7 tube and popped in a old Groove Tubes 12at7 tube. So far the lower at7 has really reduced the "boomy-ness" of the amp! It sounds alot cleaner because of the lower gain of the 12at7, but when cranked up the distortion sounds tighter and smoother. I noticed the 12ax7 has a slight grittier almost fuzz sound. But that could just be my ears. :)
Also, I don't have to be so dramatic with the EQ settings. Sweet!!

I'm really digging this so far and will probably pick up a JJ 12at7.
Just some food for thought.

kinnupe
10-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Hello everybody!
Since it looks like there's no schematic for Bugera V5 available on the net, I decided to draw it. I have it on my computer in PDF format, but I don't know how to paste it into this forum.
Anyway, it looks that R14 (47kOhm) is a grid stopper resistor (not a cathode resistor) for 12AX7 and goes to socket pin 7. There IS cathode capacitors at both cathodes of 12AX7, 2,2uF (C9 and C13) parallel with cathode resistors R13 (pin 3) and R20 (pin 8), both 1,5 kOhm.
It's more common way to put bright capacitor over gainpot's (VR1) wiper and pin which is connected to R24 (gain pot's two center pins ).
Regards, Pekka

Ps. my V5 has orange power light instead of blue. Theres no other changes for 2011 model.

Edit:
Another place to put bright capacitor is volume pots VR3 wiper. I put 220 pF capacitor between two center pins of VR3 (wiper and positive end of potentiometer). It helped with high frequencies lot and now sound is more brighter. I put the switch with serial to capacitor so I can switch the mod off if I want (haven't try mod at high volume yet, that's why the switch).

frayo
10-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Hello everybody!
Since it looks like there's no schematic for Bugera V5 available on the net, I decided to draw it. I have it on my computer in PDF format, but I don't know how to paste it into this forum.
Anyway, it looks that R14 (47kOhm) is a grid stopper resistor (not a cathode resistor) for 12AX7 and goes to socket pin 7. There IS cathode capacitors at both cathodes of 12AX7, 2,2uF (C9 and C13) parallel with cathode resistors R13 (pin 3) and R20 (pin 8), both 1,5 kOhm.
It's more common way to put bright capacitor over gainpots (VR1) wiper and pin which is connected to R24 (470kOhm).
Regards, Pekka

Ps. my V5 has orange power light instead of blue. Theres no other changes for 2011 model.

I can help you with that. I can host the file for everyone here. Just send me the file via email pasagpa[at]yahoo.com and I will post the link when I've uploaded it.

On the other hand...is there a way an FX Loop mod can be added to the V5? I'm also in the market for low-watt amps and I'm liking what I hear (8 pages) so far! I really need an FX Loop but prefer preamp tone (and price) of the V5 over the others.

kinnupe
10-29-2011, 02:17 PM
I can help you with that. I can host the file for everyone here. Just send me the file via email pasagpa[at]yahoo.com and I will post the link when I've uploaded it.

On the other hand...is there a way an FX Loop mod can be added to the V5? I'm also in the market for low-watt amps and I'm liking what I hear (8 pages) so far! I really need an FX Loop but prefer preamp tone (and price) of the V5 over the others.

Yes, it is possible to make fx-loop mod (active or passive), but it may be difficult to maintain the amp's original sound whether effect loop is in use or not if serial loop is used. With parallel loops original (dry) and loop (wet) sounds are mixed together so there is always original sound present (loop sound is "clued" top of the original sound). This is of course more complicated but possible.
I'l mail the schematic of the amp to you.

frayo
10-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Here it is guys:
Bugera V5 Schematic (http://frayo.startlogic.com/stuff/Bugera%20v5%20schematic.pdf) by kinnupe

He noted that he will not take responsibility in any unfortunate event resulting from any error in the drawing. Use at your own risk!

Yes, it is possible to make fx-loop mod (active or passive), but it may be difficult to maintain the amp's original sound whether effect loop is in use or not if serial loop is used. With parallel loops original (dry) and loop (wet) sounds are mixed together so there is always original sound present (loop sound is "clued" top of the original sound). This is of course more complicated but possible.
I'l mail the schematic of the amp to you.

Thanks for this info. TBH, I don't have the experience nor the know how to do this. So I guess it's just wishful thinking as there aren't any techs around in my area who can deal with tube amp circuitry. I mainly want to use this with my MFX with the tone and attenuation capabilities as the main reason for choosing this amp.

Progbusters
10-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I have a Tung Sol 12AX7 and JJ El84. I have rubber rings dampener thingys on each of them. No more cage. Everything else stock. Sounds great.

kinnupe
10-30-2011, 05:05 AM

For a fx loop mod take a look about these links. I think you could use similar arrangement at bugera since the basic schematics are near similar. No need much components. http://www.guitarnuts.com/amps/vc508/modified_vc508_schematic.pdf

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1519445-Supercharging-a-V8

paltomare
10-31-2011, 12:44 PM
"220 pf ceramic cap across R14"

Anyone have a pic of this mod?

frayo
10-31-2011, 06:04 PM
For a fx loop mod take a look about these links. I think you could use similar arrangement at bugera since the basic schematics are near similar. No need much components. http://www.guitarnuts.com/amps/vc508/modified_vc508_schematic.pdf

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1519445-Supercharging-a-V8

Very useful info. Thanks!

kinnupe
11-03-2011, 02:17 PM

Yes, there is atleast one improvement: The powerlight is now orange :omg

wanito
11-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Update:

After the changes I listed that i did previously I felt the amp was still was blanketed with no treble tone.

I put in a new OT transformer for $24 bucks and changed R15 to a 1watt to make it larger so I could attach a 150 capacitior to it.

Its a different amp! I can now use any guitar with out EQ pedals Yeah!

I have two V5's now. The other was stock and I just did the OT and R15 bright mod and it too sounds as good as the other. In hind sight I really did not need speakers or tubes. Oh well!

Mod at your own risk! Very high voltages!

Best of luck!

;)

yanko_mr
11-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi well i want to do the caps mode, but i am not sure how to youu just put a 220pf cap parallel to r14?

tikabear
11-22-2011, 10:41 AM
I got a V5 yesterday off Craigslist for 100 bucks. I'm impressed with it yet I feel it's too dark, like just about everyone else who has posted here, and I'll be doing as many of the "bright cap mods" as I can this evening. I'm reading posts and making a list of parts to get at Radio Shack on the way home. I'd be most appreciative of any last minute advice. Can't find much in the way of pics or diagrams of these mods like a couple of others amps I've worked on so I'll start by taking some pics before and after mod pics as I go.

I'll be hoping for a "brighter" outcome:rotflmaoas I really don't want to buy a new speaker. I am open to swapping tubes and I did try some different ones I had laying around. The GT12at7 had a great brightening effect but had too much clean headroom. I left a GT12ax7a in place of the stock preamp tube as it was a slight improvement. The tone was "creamier" with the switch. A Sovtek 12ax7wc was waaaay too much. I may try one of the ANOS RCA preamp tubes from my FDRRI just for kicks. Also, I'd like to try a 5751 or a "lower gain" 12ax7 if such a thing exists. We'll see what effect the electonic mods have first though.

tikabear
11-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I soldered the cap to the lugs of the R14 resistor and it brightened the amp up a good deal. Easy mod. I put the 12at7 back in. It's great for clean and will grind after the amp warms up some. I may go ahead and spring for the Jensen Mod 8 and some tubes. Still thinking about it.

paltomare
11-23-2011, 09:07 PM
I soldered the cap to the lugs of the R14 resistor and it brightened the amp up a good deal. Easy mod. I put the 12at7 back in. It's great for clean and will grind after the amp warms up some. I may go ahead and spring for the Jensen Mod 8 and some tubes. Still thinking about it.
I don't suppose you took a pic of this mod, did you? I'd like to brighten up mine but have no clue which resistor is R14.

tikabear
11-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Sorry. No pics. However, it is really easy. Unhook the speaker and remove 3 screws on the back of the chassis that attach it to the top panel. Slowly back out the 4 screws on top and the chassis will drop free. I removed the tubes before taking out the chassis. The R14 resistor is to the immediate right of the PCB mounted preamp tube socket. It's marked "R14" so you can't miss it.

Before messing with anything in there, I used an alligator clip to discharge any power that might be lurking inside. I attached one end to the chassis for ground. You can't just attach the other end of the alligator clip to pin 1 like in other amps due to the design of these sockets. Therefore, I stripped both ends of another piece of wire and attached one end to the clip and inserted the other end into the pin 1 socket. It's labeled "1" on the socket. I waited a few minutes while my iron warmed up but left this apparatus in place while I worked.

I bent the legs of the cap first and then wrapped them around the exposed metal legs of the resistor. I secured these bends with needle nose pliers and soldered them in place. Done. I reinstalled everything and noted a brighter sound. It took all of about 45 minutes for everything.

I had intended on doing the bright cap mods that involve soldering a cap across the middle two pins of V1 and V3. However, as others have noted, there's not a lot of room in there, especially in these areas. These "pots" are small and mounted directly to the circuit board. For me to do a good job on these mods, it looked as if I would have to remove the circuit board. I didn't want to go that far; yet.

I think I may spring for a Jensen C8R speaker. I know others have used the Jensen Mod 8 but I'm liking what I've read about the results with the C8R. I'm still running a 12at7 also. This makes it brighter but reduces the available gain. It's a tradeoff I can live with for now. Finally, I will likely add a JJEL84. If I don't get the results I want after this, I will likely remove the board and solder caps to the pots. Hope this helps!

paltomare
11-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Sorry. No pics. However, it is really easy. Unhook the speaker and remove 3 screws on the back of the chassis that attach it to the top panel. Slowly back out the 4 screws on top and the chassis will drop free. I removed the tubes before taking out the chassis. The R14 resistor is to the immediate right of the PCB mounted preamp tube socket. It's marked "R14" so you can't miss it.

Before messing with anything in there, I used an alligator clip to discharge any power that might be lurking inside. I attached one end to the chassis for ground. You can't just attach the other end of the alligator clip to pin 1 like in other amps due to the design of these sockets. Therefore, I stripped both ends of another piece of wire and attached one end to the clip and inserted the other end into the pin 1 socket. It's labeled "1" on the socket. I waited a few minutes while my iron warmed up but left this apparatus in place while I worked.

I bent the legs of the cap first and then wrapped them around the exposed metal legs of the resistor. I secured these bends with needle nose pliers and soldered them in place. Done. I reinstalled everything and noted a brighter sound. It took all of about 45 minutes for everything.

I had intended on doing the bright cap mods that involve soldering a cap across the middle two pins of V1 and V3. However, as others have noted, there's not a lot of room in there, especially in these areas. These "pots" are small and mounted directly to the circuit board. For me to do a good job on these mods, it looked as if I would have to remove the circuit board. I didn't want to go that far; yet.

I think I may spring for a Jensen C8R speaker. I know others have used the Jensen Mod 8 but I'm liking what I've read about the results with the C8R. I'm still running a 12at7 also. This makes it brighter but reduces the available gain. It's a tradeoff I can live with for now. Finally, I will likely add a JJEL84. If I don't get the results I want after this, I will likely remove the board and solder caps to the pots. Hope this helps!

Wow, thanks for step by step directions, this is perfect. I'll give it shot.

My V5 is stock except for the speaker. When I compared the V5 to my '57 Champ, the Champ sounded much fuller even with the original 6" speaker so I swapped the stock V5 speaker for a Weber 8A125T/4ohm/20watt and it now sounds much fuller. It's still a bit dark for me so hopefully this simple mod helps. Thanks again.

tikabear
11-25-2011, 09:33 PM
How bizarre. I was just about to post tonight's adventure. Glad you liked my post so if you are planning on trying that mod this weekend, do yourself a favor and proceed with the V1 and V3 mods while you have it apart. I was about to purchase the Jensen C8R today when my wife reminded my of cyber Monday and the chance of an online discount so I decided to wait. Being a never-satisfied tinkerer and because I just HAD to know, I pulled the chassis again to do these mods.

I was right about removing the circuit board. Much easier that way. Don't forget to discharge any power like previously described. One thing I may not have mentioned is that I flipped the power switch to "on" while discharging the caps. Don't know whether this matters but I'm still here and breathing.

Once you get the chassis out of the cabinet, pull the 4 knobs. They slide right off. Remove the plastic nut for the input jack and the 4 nuts and washers for the "pots" taking care not to scratch the front of the chassis. The blue LED is just a plastic lens cover. The LED itself is mounted to the circuit board behind the lens. The blue lens is attached by a larger nut from the rear and the lens may not HAVE to be removed because it's not actually attached to the LED. I removed mine because I didn't realize it at the time. IF you do remove it, be careful because it can easily scratch or break.

The circuit board is held to the chassis by 5 screws which are obvious. Facing the front of the chassis and looking down onto the board, 2 screws are on the back corners. There is another on the left and another on the right below these but they are not in the corners. The fifth is a silver screw in the center labeled "chassis ground." Take note of "pots" V1 (gain) and V3 (volume). They are soldered directly to the board and you will be able to see why unscrewing the board to solder the caps from the back or bottom makes sense. The cap is soldered between the two middle lugs of each pot (going from everything I've read). The board sits up from the chassis so there is plenty of clearance for the small caps underneath.

The board should now be loose so gently push it back so the "pots" clear their holes. I did not see a need to unplug the transformer because there is enough play in the wire to just turn the board over and lean it against the back of the chassis. The solder points for each pot are obvious because they are right on the board's edge. Look at the first pot on the left which is just to the right of the input jack. There are 4 solder points and the cap is soldered to the 2 points in the center. I used a 220K on both pots and trimmed the legs pretty short. Solder another cap to the same two points of the 3rd pot (volume). Unlike the resistor on top, there is nowhere to "wrap" the legs of the cap. It has to be held in place with pliers or fingers while soldering. There still isn't much room so be careful not to get any solder where you don't want it. After the caps are in place and are well soldered, reassemble everything in the reverse order. It took me about an hour.

I removed the 12at7 and installed an EI 12ax7 that is a gainy "hot" tube. I am very, very pleased with the results. Much brighter but not too much, at least for me, yet I don't think my DRRI is bright and a lot of other people do. I can roll the tone on the V5 back to 4 or so before it get's too dark. I had it around 6 or 7 as I jammed for about 45 minutes and tried other 12ax7's. The EI and the original Bugera sounded best. The others were GT labeled Sovteks. The EI is in now. I still haven't tried the ANOS RCA's that are in my FDRRI. I will also probably try the JJ that's in V4 of the Fender as well. I am still going to buy a JJ EL84 power tube for sure but after tonight, I don't think I'm in the speaker market any longer. Good luck!

acemccool
12-13-2011, 12:49 AM
First post here .
I cannot seem to find anywhere as to what the little Bugera V5 amps speaker is- is it an alnico or ceramic.
I got this little amp when it was first released. It is a very dark/bassy amp on the 1watt and 0.1 watt setting even with the tone turned right up.
On 5 watts it is pretty good especially with a Big Muff (with tone wicker) in front of it.
So all in all I love it, but what type of speaker is it?

I was thinking of changing out the speaker but I don't want to replace like for like!
Thanks for listening and maybe someone can help?

Davo17
12-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Its ceramic. But its also an excellent speaker for the amp. I tried a Weber Sig 8 alnico in mine and it was quite harsh. I found that cutting some bass ahead of the amp made it brighter without adding harsh top end, still with excellent clarity. I still like to use it with brighter guitars though. Try a tube screamer in front as a boost and see if thats an improvement.

Great amp btw, Ive had mine 2 years, with a fair amount of use and no problems.

tikabear
12-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I did replace the speaker in my amp after initially deciding against it. The Guitar Center %15 off online coupon with free shipping for cyber Monday was the convincer. I went with the Jensen C8R. I have it's 12" brother in my DRRI and actually like it. The low end is tighter with crisp high end. The stock speaker was nice with the mods but the Jensen was worth the $30 investment. I only paid $100 for the amp anyway. I can keep my tone knob around 6 to 7 and I even find it too bright dimed.

I tried an RCA 12ax7 tube. Much more smooth than stock or any other 12ax7 I've tried. I was using an EI ecc83 that is quite a "gainy" tube. The RCA wasn't as harsh. Much more color to the notes if that makes any sense. I liked the Sovtek least - too muddy. The JJ was better than the Sovtek but not as good as the EI. A Sovtek 12at7 was nice as a brightness enhancer but available gain suffered. I would like to try a 5751 and a Tung Sol reissue at some point. I did try a JJ EL84 and several Sovteks. Not much of a change in tone to my ears from the stock Bugera EL84. Hope I don't break the board and/or the tube sockets with all the experimentation.

In summary - DO the mods on a stock amp, experiment with tubes, change the speaker if you still aren't happy after the mods.

go49ners
02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Now that this thread is a monster - what are your top recommendations for upgrading tubes in these? I've had mine since Christmas, and I really love it. Just wondering which tubes will bring out the best tone - I primarily play blues, rock, and jazz on a Strat if that helps. Thanks!

FYI - I know nothing about replacement tubes so the more info you have for me the better.. thanks!

Pippers
02-17-2012, 11:55 AM
I swapped in an Electro-Hamonix 12AX7EH and I think the amp sounds amazing now. I also had a JJ 12AX7 gold pinned and it sounded worse than the original tube to me. Very muffled sound. The EH just removes that entirely for me. I don't think I'll try anything else. Kept the EL84 stock.

go49ners
02-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I swapped in an Electro-Hamonix 12AX7EH and I think the amp sounds amazing now. I also had a JJ 12AX7 gold pinned and it sounded worse than the original tube to me. Very muffled sound. The EH just removes that entirely for me. I don't think I'll try anything else. Kept the EL84 stock.

can you send me a link to exactly what you use? There seems to be a "Gold" Version and a normal version. Thanks

Pippers
02-17-2012, 02:50 PM
I pulled it out of my Vox Tonelab ST.

It doesn't have the gold pins.

It looks exactly like this: http://thetubestore.com/ehx12ax7.html

Mine was dated 06.

It is also fatter than the one I pulled out by a tiny bit, but that just made it fit into the rubber O ring slot much more snug. Not loose like the tube that I pulled out of there. Bonus.

Davo17
02-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Yup got the Bugera V5. Did the tube swap and Speaker swap (Weber). Sounds pretty good! Yes indeed.

Cool, what type of weber did you go with?

midnightblues
02-18-2012, 03:28 PM
I know this is an old thread, but could someone tell me the voltage of the 220pf capacitors used in the bright mods above? Thanks

tikabear
02-18-2012, 07:51 PM
I know this is an old thread, but could someone tell me the voltage of the 220pf capacitors used in the bright mods above? Thanks

I wish I could remember what the voltages were on those caps. I can tell you that they are the same ones that I use on guitar pots to bleed off treble and you are essentially doing the same thing with these mods. Two months after doing the mods, mine hasn't blown up or caught fire yet.:omg I realize that's not very reassuring.

I am totally happy with mine. I did buy a NOS RCA 12ax7 for the preamp and it was worth it. I play through my DRRI more but I have the Bugera in my bedroom so I can play for a few minutes in the am and pm if the mood strikes me.

Eddu
02-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi guys, I had very good results on getting rid of the muddiness of my V5, just replacing the tubes.

I end up with a Electro Harmonix 12Ax7 and a Mullard EL84. The difference was incredible, now the amp sound much more bright and sharp.

Before that, I've tried a Tung-sol on the pre-amp, witch I really liked, but it was a bit grainier and darker than the EH. On the power section, I've tried the JJ EL844, an under-powered version of the EL84, that delivers saturation at lower volumes. But again the amp got too dark.

Hope it helps!

ddeand
02-20-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm looking at one of these as a possibility for a practice amp, but I can't stand 8" speakers. Just about every small amp I have owned (Vibro Champ, Champ, Epi, etc) I have swapped in a 10" speaker. I can't really find any info on the cabinet size of the V5 to see if installing a 10" speaker is possible. I hope so! (I do have the experience, knowhow, and tools for shoehorning larger speakers into smaller cabinets.)

Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions for the V5 cabinet?

Thanks,
Dean

Pippers
02-21-2012, 08:52 AM
I don't think it is possible. The 8" takes up the entire space in there. Someone did convert theirs to a head because it has a 4Ohm out on the back. Or you could just leave it as is and use the jack to an external cab.

I have to say that it doesn't sound very boxy for an 8" compared to other amps like the Champ, Vox, that I've tried. The v5 comes a little muffled/muddy sounding, but a simple tube swapped cleaned that up nice.

I think some new Celestion 8" speakers were also announced at NAMM this past month, so those might also be an option.

Davo17
02-21-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm looking at one of these as a possibility for a practice amp, but I can't stand 8" speakers. Just about every small amp I have owned (Vibro Champ, Champ, Epi, etc) I have swapped in a 10" speaker. I can't really find any info on the cabinet size of the V5 to see if installing a 10" speaker is possible. I hope so! (I do have the experience, knowhow, and tools for shoehorning larger speakers into smaller cabinets.)

Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions for the V5 cabinet?

Thanks,
Dean

Dimensions can be found here...
http://www.bugera-amps.com/PDF/Downloads/V5_WebBrochure.pdf

I why do you dislike smaller speakers, is it due to lack of bottom end?
This amp has plenty on tap, and it handles that bottom quite well. Id say it has more then my Class 5, which has a 10 in it.
Most people who have tried speaker mods end up going back to stock. I just checked and it looks like there is room for a 10 in there, if you are handy with making up a new baffle or enlarging the existing one.

glenn from Oz
05-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi Bugeraites ... just joining to let people know that the 150uf cap mod on the Gain AND Volume pots will clean up the sound and brighten the bejeezus out of these little guys, and gives a bit more headroom to boot! I was about to give up on the muddiness, especially on the attenuated settings, but doing these mods brought the thing to life, single coil-wise. I replaced the 12AX7 for a Groovetube, and kept the stock EL84, and now it's great sounding, clean little unit with the original 8" speaker, which also takes pedals without suffering too much tone-suck. Drives my Blackheart 12" Celestion box excellently as well.Good little harp amp too; don't give up on these guys, but get a good soldering iron, a magnifier light, a pair of needle-nosed pliers and a little patience and you're away. Hope this helps.

paltomare
05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Hi Bugeraites ... just joining to let people know that the 150uf cap mod on the Gain AND Volume pots will clean up the sound and brighten the bejeezus out of these little guys, and gives a bit more headroom to boot! I was about to give up on the muddiness, especially on the attenuated settings, but doing these mods brought the thing to life, single coil-wise. I replaced the 12AX7 for a Groovetube, and kept the stock EL84, and now it's great sounding, clean little unit with the original 8" speaker, which also takes pedals without suffering too much tone-suck. Drives my Blackheart 12" Celestion box excellently as well.Good little harp amp too; don't give up on these guys, but get a good soldering iron, a magnifier light, a pair of needle-nosed pliers and a little patience and you're away. Hope this helps.

Hi there,
Do you have a pic of this mod? Is it the same as the R14 mod?
Or the V1/V3 mod mentioned elsewhere in this thread?

I'd like to brighten up my amp but a bit confused as to which way to go.

I would not want to sacrifice the amp's low end for brightness, is it possible to have both? Thanks.

glenn from Oz
05-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Hi mate ..yes this is the V1 (gain) and V3 (volume) mod. and it is possible to keep your lower end tone by dialling back the tone to around 4; having said that using an EQ like the danelectro fish 'n' chips, which also has a gain control slider, or even playing around with your pickup heights can give you the tone variation you're looking for. I'm a single coil guy, but have an '84 Epi les paul with Smooth gibson replacement pickups and it sounds great, gets the full cream of the neck pickup with all the bottom end from what is quite a good stock speaker. Again, it'll fill out driven through a 12" cabinet. Send me an email and I can take a couple of pictures for you. Cheers Glenn

edgelite
08-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm ready to do the bright cap mods but I'm not sure how to discharge the caps.
When someone mentioned an alligator clip to ground and then a wire in Pin 1 on the socket are they referring to the connector labelled X8 on the board? There is a label P2 on that connector I'm assuming that stands for Pin2 and the other is Pin 1. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and can handle the mod I just don't want to get zapped. Thanks
What procedure should I follow to make sure the caps are fully discharged?

sdcruiser
10-28-2012, 09:48 AM
I put my bright cap across r15 using a toggle on-off-on, that way I have two caps, 220 pf and a much larger 0.01 uf. This works really great. I also tried the r14 with this mod and I honestly didn't hear any difference at all. I'm thinking this one should go across r24 instead. Any know if this is right?

I also built a custom pine cabinet using two Jensen c10r speakers.

Dumdeediddle
10-28-2012, 10:14 AM
I had a Bugera V5. Did the speaker and tube thing. Just sold it. Was nice ,but.....Have you ever thought of a Vox Pathfindedr 15r ? Very cheap and very nice. Got one in trade and its great for a sittin' in a corner little amp. When you don't wanna turn everything else on.

bluesjunior
12-29-2012, 02:46 PM
I have had mine for almost a year. I use it for just playing at home and it does that just fine. I haven't felt the need to do any of the mods mentioned but did change the original EL84 valve for a Gold Lion and the 12AX7 for an old Telefunken I had acquired. I sold my old 70's Carlsbro Twin 60 head to fund the Bugera V5 but kept the 4ohm closed back 2X12"Celestion speaker cab I used with it. The built in speaker sounds ok to my ear but the 2X12 gives it a whole other and bigger voice. It sounds great either using my EC Strat or my ES335. I just love the way I can get that real overdriven sound without shaking the pictures off the walls. Maybe it is just my sense of humour but I have found that their is a "satanic" sweetspot at the 666 setting ie 6 Vol, 6 Gain, 6 Tone. Though to be fair I have also come across an article about the 666 setting for Fenders as well.:D

rqthrottle
02-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Sorry for the thread resurrection... I just wanted to show mine. Converted to a head. Tungsol and JJ tubes on it...

Conversion was done re-using all materials, save for the tolex and the speaker frame. Total cost of the conversion was about $20 and a heck of a lot more work than I anticipated.

http://imageshack.com/a/img163/6530/e89e.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img837/5171/hcf3.jpg

Davo17
02-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Wow that looks great!