PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Taylor T5?

JohnM
06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm looking for something different - to add to a group playing acoustic stuff...I am mostly playing mandolin but I want some different textures than the other 2 (standard) acoustics in the group. Just wondered if anyone has gigged much with the T5 and if it's a solid performer...any weird quirks or anything? I know it is a weird animal...and I'm sorta looking for weird - I want that electric playability and the multi-sound options so it looks like the ticket. My main acoustic is a '49 J45 so I already have the straight acoustic thing. T5 Opinions? Likes? Dislikes?

DavidE
06-03-2010, 01:06 PM
It's a solid performer, but doesn't sound anything like a real acoustic or a piezo acoustic to me. I love the way mine looks and plays, but haven't gotten used to the sound at all. To the point where I'm seriously considering adding a bridge piezo and losing one of the strap pins for a second jack. I've heard of others doing this as well.

edward
06-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I played with it for maybe a solid hour at a great shop (who was really relaxed and supportive of whatever amps I wanted to try with it). Great guitar, and a decent "hybrid," but definitely an electric at heart than can cop acoustic-like tone. Do not expect it to sound like a real acoustic, but it can get acoustic-y. :)

The electric tone is solid, versatile, and musical through a good amp ...yeah, tubes is where it's at. Good grind that is single-coil in flavor, but chime and clarity is also there; definitely more "stratty" than "lester."

The key in getting more realistic acoustic tone is an a/b box that diverts the signal to a good acoustic amp: now you have markedly better acoustic tone.

Plays great ...no excuses need be made. They are loaded with elixir electric strings, which I do not care for ...you personal choice would likely imrpove things. And I have read of quite a few others who have put on acoustic strings which biases the guitar more toward the acoustic side of things.

Overall, I like the guitar, but not enough to merit my buying one. Fact is, I love my electrics and acoustics too well to have a 'tweener. But if you have to cover both tones and can only bring one, it's a good choice, IMHO.

Edward

JohnM
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
It's a solid performer, but doesn't sound anything like a real acoustic or a piezo acoustic to me. I love the way mine looks and plays, but haven't gotten used to the sound at all. To the point where I'm seriously considering adding a bridge piezo and losing one of the strap pins for a second jack. I've heard of others doing this as well.

Hmmmm....interesting - I thought it had a piezo bridge...evidently it's just a 'body sensor' pickup. I'm guessing it doesn't sound like an iBeam sort of thing (which I think sounds pretty decent) The fact that it's not a 'real' acoustic no doubt plays into that.

good info

JSeth
06-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I've had my T-5 for a few years now... I love that guitar! Feels really good, hanging on my shoulders, very light (4.5#'s?)... plays beautifully, up and down the fretboard.

As has been stated, I am not a fan of the "acoustic" sound of the guitar, either. But the electronics are superb and very sensitive, able to dial in a bunch of different tones... I prefer mine through a solid-state amp as opposed to my Deluxe Reverb; the tone is so pure that, similar to my ES-175, it just sounds better to me through a clean amp...

One thing to watch for - before buying, be sure that the neck p'up covers the high E and B strings enough for you... when I first got mine, I had to have a different neck swapped in because the neck p'up IS NOT ADJUSTABLE?!?!?! My first one de-emphasized the higher strings - fine for strumming but not acceptable for single note/lead playing, IMHO. I have no idea why they put a pick-up in the neck that can not be adjusted for personal tastes...

...but it sure is a fun guitar to play!

Good luck!

ps. mine is a maple top standard - I think the spruce tops are a bit more "acoustic-y". It has a nice "voice", unplugged - but not real loud, of course; very balanced, tonally though...

JohnM
06-03-2010, 01:30 PM
The key in getting more realistic acoustic tone is an a/b box that diverts the signal to a good acoustic amp: now you have markedly better acoustic tone.

That will definitely be the case - for the acoustic side it will go through the usual acoustic signal path. (is that an oxymoron?)
It's got to sound better than a Parker fly, right?? lol

JohnM
06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I thought it was a little 'playing dirty' of Taylor to add such a strong close-mic signal to the clip on this demo:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/GUITARS/ELECTRIC/Models/soundcheck/default.aspx

(makes it sound more 'acousticky') But hey, they gotta sell it.

kralltime
06-03-2010, 01:50 PM
I echo the "plays fantastic, sounds like crap" comments. Have you looked at Anderson's Crowdster?

localmotion411
06-03-2010, 02:26 PM
I echo the "plays fantastic, sounds like crap" comments. Have you looked at Anderson's Crowdster?

+1 -- I had a gorgeous koa T5 that I couldn't wait to get rid of.

JohnM
06-03-2010, 02:29 PM

Yes - quite a price jump though.

The sound thing is what I need to figure out. I'm only a purist when it comes to straight acoustic guitars...as far as plugging them in, I'm of the mentality that I'll do WHATEVER it takes to make them sound good...no qualms here about absolutely raping the signal path if needed. Sounds like that may not help in this case! :(

buddaman71
06-03-2010, 03:54 PM
No one loves Taylors more than me, but I've personally never been able to pull a usable tone from any T5 series guitar.
Gorgeous, impeccably constructed, sounds to me like a $50 Masonite Sears guitar from the 50's. With none of the charming tonal funkiness...
It's a guitar I've always WANTED to love but just can't.

FWIW: My friend gets one of the best, fattest live acoustic-electric tones I've ever hear with his inexpensive Godin A6 into a Baggs Paracoustic DI.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godina6ultrap.htm

JohnM
06-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Since I'm not really looking for an authentic acoustic tone, I'm not too worried if it doesn't do that, but phrases like 'never been able to pull a usable tone' scare me a little...
If it was nice and responsive across the spectrum, thick & punchy in the single note area, I'd be down with it, but thin, weak, no usable tones....hmmmm I'm seeing a pattern here!

JSeth
06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
John - I wouldn't throw away the T-5 idea without checking it out, thoroughly, first... I find ALL KINDS of "useable" tones on mine... not high-gain rock sounds, though... 5 position switch... I love #2, a very 'board p'up Tele tone that can be fattened or thinned w/ the tone controls... #3, kind of a bridge Tele sound, #4 is a sweet "Gretsch" rhythm sound, and #5 is very close to a rhythm 'bucker tone like I'd get from my 345 Gibson.
The tone and volume controls are active and VERY sensitive; a little goes a long way!
Very quiet, as well - interesting that I had to flip my ground switch the opposite way for the T-5.
They aren't re-selling for a very good price - perfect if you want to pick one up, used. I know a fellow around here who got a "cherry" T-5 Custom for $1300 recently; not bad for a $3500 list instrument!
Again, I like mine through a solid state "clean" amp as opposed to my SF Deluxe tube amp...

just sayin', is all...

Pietro
06-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I tried to like the T5, really. It's made very well, it has some good sounds, though I couldn't find any that really suited me, but on a guitar that does electric AND acoustic sounds, the inability to split the sounds so you can do true "two-voice" guitar made it a non-issue. I couldn't use it. I ended up with this Anderson Crowdster Plus 2 (at first it had only one pickup, in March the second was added).

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z209/Pietro_gtr/Crowdster_plus_2_with_Dr_Z.jpg

I've had it four years, it's my number one with a bullet, and it blows away the T5 imho. REAL bronze strings means REAL acoustic guitar sound (my favorite I've ever had including real great acoustic guitars!). The pickups are designed to pickup off bronze strings, and they give you REAL electric sound. No shredding here, though, you need to use acoustic strings to make it work right.

There is one in the emporium right now for a real reasonable price from a good reliable source (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=727204).

Also, +1 on Godin, they make FANTASTIC hybrid guitars. I've owned three, only sold the last one because I play this Crowdster so much that I never picked it up.

If you want an electric that can also do good acoustic sounds, check out the Godin Montreal. (http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmontrealp.htm)

googoobaby
06-03-2010, 06:45 PM
For what it's worth, I had the same experience with the T5. Felt great, sounded awful, and the former is good enough that I really tried to make it work. I ended up with a Godin LGXT, which is nowhere near as light as a T5, but has so many great sounds in it from acoustic-ish to full electric. Plus they're so cheap used too.

croth
06-04-2010, 02:29 AM
I played with it for maybe a solid hour at a great shop (who was really relaxed and supportive of whatever amps I wanted to try with it). Great guitar, and a decent "hybrid," but definitely an electric at heart than can cop acoustic-like tone. Do not expect it to sound like a real acoustic, but it can get acoustic-y. :)

The electric tone is solid, versatile, and musical through a good amp ...yeah, tubes is where it's at. Good grind that is single-coil in flavor, but chime and clarity is also there; definitely more "stratty" than "lester."

Plays great ...no excuses need be made. They are loaded with elixir electric strings, which I do not care for ...you personal choice would likely imrpove things. And I have read of quite a few others who have put on acoustic strings which biases the guitar more toward the acoustic side of things.

Overall, I like the guitar, but not enough to merit my buying one. Fact is, I love my electrics and acoustics too well to have a 'tweener. But if you have to cover both tones and can only bring one, it's a good choice, IMHO.

Edward

I own a T5. It is designed to accept both electric strings which it is supplied with, or acoustic strings. The guitar is decidely more acoustic sounding with acoustic strings and there is almost no reason not to go that way, especially if you're looking for an acoustic sound. The T5 has a surprisingly loud non-plugged-in acoustic voice and I think its tone rivals any of the Martins I have. I should tell you that I own about 15 guitars, 4 of them acoustics, including 2 vintage Martins and a TJ Thompson Schoenberg. While the Schoenberg is hard to beat, the T5 stands up very well in its own right to any of them.

I don't care for the 1st (piezo body pickup) position on my guitar, finding that it sort of pings. I almost exclusively use the 2nd position, though I forgot what that is now (I believe it's the under-fretboard humbucker). My T5 is a somewhat older version and the pickup config may have been changed.

I should qualify that I have not used this guitar in a band setting or in any outside playing occasion so my judgement of it is based on in-home playing only.

It is a great playing instrument with perfect action and intonation, near-perfect construction, and a warm acoustic tone unplugged. It is hard to see how you can go wrong owning this guitar.

JohnM
06-04-2010, 07:19 AM
The T5 has a surprisingly loud non-plugged-in acoustic voice and I think its tone rivals any of the Martins I have.

That is a strong statement...so strong in fact my first thought is...:huh

You wanna sell it? ;)

NeuroLogic
06-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I have a T5 as well as several acoustics including Martins, Larrivees & Taylors. I would never comment that the T5 comes anywhere near these guitars acoustically. It is considerably closer amplified but, there are definite differences. I strongly recommend that you personally play and experience this. I would also listen to others playing them to get an audience perspective. This is the only real way to decide if a T5 is right for you.

The comment regarding splitting the acoustic and electric signals to matching amplification is right on. However, I do like the mono signal which adds some electric guitar characteristics to the acoustic sound for something different.

musicofanatic5
06-05-2010, 01:36 PM
"...Martins, Larrivees & Taylors. I would never comment that the T5 comes anywhere near these guitars acoustically."

"The T5 has a surprisingly loud non-plugged-in acoustic voice and I think its tone rivals any of the Martins I have. I should tell you that I own about 15 guitars, 4 of them acoustics, including 2 vintage Martins and a TJ Thompson Schoenberg. While the Schoenberg is hard to beat, the T5 stands up very well in its own right to any of them."

Which one of these guys would you buy a used car from?

JohnM
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
finally got my hands on one of these T5's - interesting...very well made, etc... the neck and action are electric-like in playability. Super light too. The thing that bugged me tone-wise was something in the midrange - especially up around the middle of the neck - there's a rubbery phased sort of thing going on that I couldn't get rid of. The one I played had electric (nickel) strings on it so that likely had something to do with it but man, it was a nasty honky thing going on.

I'm guessing with some heavier (this one had 10's and reeeaaally low action) bronze string it has to sound better. It really did play nice and you could tell there was a cool sound in there, but it just seems like the electronics aren't quite pulling it out. This was a koa-top model as well - maybe the spruce top sounds better?

All in all I'm not sold yet but it's so 'almost'.

T.Wesley
06-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Since I'm not really looking for an authentic acoustic tone, I'm not too worried if it doesn't do that, but phrases like 'never been able to pull a usable tone' scare me a little...
Don't let it. Somebody that says that doesn't want to like the guitar.

I've been gigging my T5 for about 9 months, maybe a bit longer. I use it with an acoustic duo, run through my pedalboard, and with a Motown-ish cover band, where I run it through a Line 6 DuoTone.

It's not an acoustic guitar, so it's never going to sound like a Martin or (regular) Taylor, whether it's plugged in or not. Period.

Approach the T5 for what it is - an instrument that covers a lot of different ground; somebody mentioned the word "hybrid", and I think that's pretty accurate.

I've found that - in the full band context - it sounds acoustic "enough". Will the geeked-out gear-hound guitarists in the audience think so? DO YOU CARE? Somebody who's there to hear the music & have a good time won't care how acoustic it sounds, as long as it sounds close enough - and the T5 definitely sounds close enough.

In my duo, I run it through a chorus pedal, delay, and even a distortion pedal for solos. It works just fine when it's DI'd into the PA.

Do I use my T5 to record acoustic guitar parts? Nope. I use a regular acoustic, miked up, to do that stuff. I wouldn't use any other thin bodied acoustic guitar for recording acoustic guitar parts, either.

Anyway - I say slay the naysayers, get a T5, and enjoy it for what it is - a very versatile instrument.

--chiba

leofenderbender
06-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Great neck! Easy to play...

However, a crappy sounding acoustic guitar - must be plugged into a board; even worse electric tone - it isn't really an electric guitar at all. Great neck though.

OOG
06-06-2010, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=JohnM;8430593]I'm looking for something different - to add to a group playing acoustic stuff...I am mostly playing mandolin but I want some different textures than the other 2 (standard) acoustics in the group"

how about a tricone?

googoobaby
06-06-2010, 01:25 AM
Or better yet, octave mandolin?

SLG
06-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Count me as another person that really TRIED to like the Taylor T5. Great workmanship and materials. Perhaps one of the best playing guitars I've ever used.

I think Taylor really missed the mark when it comes to the electronics and pickup system. The guitar sounded OK if you were looking for unique tones, but was a huge disappointment when I tried to get traditional electric and acoustic tones. I sold my T5, and to this day miss the wonderful playability of the guitar.

Within the past year, I tried a friend's T5 that was modified. He removed all the factory electronics and pickups. He had the rear pickup hole routed larger to accept a standard Tele pickup. He installed a Don Mare Stingray pickup wound with three tapped coil levels. He installed a Fishman undersaddle piezo pickup system. (This is similar to the layout use for the Anderson Crowdster model guitar, a CONVENTIONAL sized magnetic pickup with an undersaddle piezo pickup.)

The Tele pickup and Fishman piezo are wired to a stereo jack. His guitar cord splits into Y with the Tele pickup running to a tube amp, and his Fishman piezo pickup running into a small mixer/powered FRFR speaker. The guitar is now able to obtain some outstanding electric and acoustic tones. It's probably one of the most versatile guitars I've ever played. IMO this is the guitar that Taylor should have made.

I have a difficult time spending $1500~$2000 on a guitar, just to trash all the electronics and rebuild it, but I'm am seriously considering purchasing another Taylor T5 and making the necessary modifications.

NeuroLogic
06-06-2010, 10:08 AM
SLG, why not just buy an Anderson Crowdster at around the same price as moding a T5?

SLG
06-06-2010, 12:43 PM
SLG, why not just buy an Anderson Crowdster at around the same price as moding a T5?

There is a difference in playability between the Crowdster and the T5. Not better or worse, just different. The feel of the T5 really struck a chord with me. I've only seen a couple of used Crowdsters under the $2K price level. I have seen used T5's as low as $1100. The cost to mod the T5 would run around $300-$400 so you would still be around $400-$500 less than a used Crowdster. It comes down to a question of personal preference.

I own a custom built & designed guitar that was more than a decade ahead of the Taylor T5 and Anderson Crowdster. It was built by the Guitar Factory in Orlando, Florida. Check out their website.
http://www.guitarfactory.us/
Their guitar designs were far ahead of most builders in the electric/acoustic genre. The guitar I own used to belong to some kid that plays slide. He uses an Gibson SG now; go figure.

Pietro
06-06-2010, 03:30 PM
There is a difference in playability between the Crowdster and the T5. Not better or worse, just different. The feel of the T5 really struck a chord with me.

And if you're not looking for more of an ACOUSTIC guitar that can also do electric sounds, the Crowdster will NOT make you happy.

The T5 plays and feels like an electric because it is.

The Crowdster plays and feels like an acoustic, because it is.

Big difference!

JohnM
06-06-2010, 05:18 PM
The T5 plays and feels like an electric because it is.

The Crowdster plays and feels like an acoustic, because it is.

Big difference!

Curious - what makes that true? They both seem pretty similar to me as far as thin-body-acoustic construction goes...neither are particularly 'acoustic' in the true sense. So what makes the Crowdster more 'acoustic' ? (if it's the pickup, the irony is just too much...)

Pietro
06-06-2010, 05:50 PM
JohnM, the T5 works well with electric strings, it's designed for them.

The Crowdster will NOT work with electric strings. It's designed for acoustic strings, and the electric pickups will not work right with an un-wound G string.

NeuroLogic
06-07-2010, 09:00 AM
To clarify, I was referring to the Crowdster ++. This guitar has pretty much a full set of electric pickups. Do you still feel that a moded T5 is better in this regard? Perhaps because of the string options? However, the Crowdster electric pickups are supposed to be designed to work with acoustic strings. Is this an overstatement?

It also seems like it would be a better idea to mod a two surface pickup T5. That discontinued model accomplished essentially nothing over the interior mounted neck pickup. Perhaps a better neck surface pickup would produce results.

NeuroLogic
06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
What A B box do you guys recommend for the T5? Taylor's Universal or what?

JohnM
06-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm gonna try some bronze strings w/a plain G and see how it fares. I'm sure the mag pickups won't be completely happy but if the sensor pkup thing works ok it might do the trick.

SLG
06-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Before I'd go through the time and expense of modding a T5, I would spend some additional time experimenting with different amplificaion options. I now own a Axe-FX Ultra that I did not own at the time I had the first T5. The Axe-FX has a plethora of signal processing and EQ options that may work well with a stock T5.

Pietro
06-07-2010, 03:39 PM
To clarify, I was referring to the Crowdster ++. This guitar has pretty much a full set of electric pickups. Do you still feel that a moded T5 is better in this regard? Perhaps because of the string options? However, the Crowdster electric pickups are supposed to be designed to work with acoustic strings. Is this an overstatement?

It also seems like it would be a better idea to mod a two surface pickup T5. That discontinued model accomplished essentially nothing over the interior mounted neck pickup. Perhaps a better neck surface pickup would produce results.

Mine is a Plus Plus. (Actually, it's called a Plus 2.) And here's the deal. Even though I can't do fancy lead stuff with it (I just can't bend a wound G acoustic string that far), it is both my BEST sounding electric (kinda gretsch-ish at times--I am going to try and post some high-quality clips sometime soon, and I will try and update this space) and the BEST sounding acoustic I've ever plugged in.

I've sold one guitar and may sell two more eventually because of this guitar. But it is NOT an electric in feel... at all... You CAN NOT use electric strings on it and have it work right. If you understand that, you're in great shape. If you want to play rock and roll lead guitar all night, it's the wrong guitar. Don't get me wrong, it plays great. It better for this kinda money. (I bought mine new and then had the +2 upgrade done this year.)

What A B box do you guys recommend for the T5? Taylor's Universal or what?

Taylor makes the one to use. It works well, I tried it. I could ALMOST have done what I wanted with this.

In fact, let me be clear. Owning the Crowdster Plus 2 and having a buddy with the T5 and getting a chance to play it a lot. They are BOTH great guitars. The T5 is AMAZING! It's just not for me, because of the 2-voice-at-once thing I do. Also, the Anderson, being a truly boutique guitar, is simply a very different animal than any kind of mass-produced instrument. But the T5 is fantastic, anyways. I have a recently-updated article about two-voice guitar here. (http://pietrosquared.wordpress.com/two-voice-stereo-guitar-a-primer/)

NeuroLogic
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Pietro,

Can you also engineer a good jazz sound, ie L5, ES175, ES335, PRS Hollowbody, etc. from the Crowdster?

Pietro
06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Pietro,

Can you also engineer a good jazz sound, ie L5, ES175, ES335, PRS Hollowbody, etc. from the Crowdster?

imho, not really. But you'd have to hear it, I think it could work for jazz nicely. Just not that exact sound. I think those guitars have a unique sound that requires arched tops and backs and a lot of air and f-holes.

JohnM
06-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Pietro - I notice you are using that AG stomp - I have one and have been using it for acoustic/electric stuff for years...it really is a cool little box (the mic modeling thing really helps most pickups) I'm not a huge piezo pickup fan - the response and tone just doesn't do it for me, but the AG knocks out a lot of the bad aspects of the piezo.

That being said, I spent a little time messing with the T5 and a few preamps... a para-acoustic d.i., the AG, pedals, etc,... it seems the T5 is a sort of 'guitar without a country' so to speak...it was made to use with electric strings, with which the 'acoustic' sound really sounds weird (the midrange is, well, odd) and when you use bronze strings the electric pickups don't sound as good, so it's sort of stuck between uses. I really want to like it - it plays very well and is light as a feather, but I really can't get the midrange or the transient attack to sound right in any of the sounds - it's like the whole guitar is out of phase (I did try reversing phase...no luck..) So back to the drawing board.

Pietro
06-08-2010, 08:11 AM
I agree JohnM, on both your assessment of the T5 (which I still think is a great gtr, btw... I think I mentioned that) an the AG Stomp. TOTALLY tames the quack. That said, It has 9 mike models and I only ever use one. I actually think the others are very weak.

I've even recorded with it in lieu of using a mike on a real acoustic on an occasion or two and it worked okay!

BTW, I've heard an xotic EP boost on the T5 and it made a BIG difference!

Deadduck
06-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I had a T5 a couple of years back that I really wanted to like, but alas, I didn't. I'm a church worship leader and often go from acoustic to electric between songs, so I really liked having one guitar that could do both types of tones.

However, the acoustic tone wasn't that great with electric strings. I wound up using DR Zebra acoustic strings, and they were a pretty good compromise.

And it didn't have the same output as a traditional electric guitar, so it wouldn't push a tube amp like a normal electric. It didn't sound good at all through my electric rig at the time, a traditional pedalboard through a DRRI.

I wound up playing mine through an A/B/Y switch, with A running into a Baggs PADI and into the PA, and B going into a POD XT Live into the PA. I could get decent sounds, but not great. The sounds suffered from some of the same problems that the Taylor acoustics with the ES system did, honky midrange that coudn't be EQ'ed out.

While I liked the playability and feel of the guitar, I just missed the more organic sound of a Strat or Tele through a good amp, and the thump of my J-45, so I sold it.

JohnM
06-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I've even recorded with it in lieu of using a mike on a real acoustic on an occasion or two and it worked okay!

Ever used it on a nylon string? It really works wonders on those.

croth
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
"...Martins, Larrivees & Taylors. I would never comment that the T5 comes anywhere near these guitars acoustically."

"The T5 has a surprisingly loud non-plugged-in acoustic voice and I think its tone rivals any of the Martins I have. I should tell you that I own about 15 guitars, 4 of them acoustics, including 2 vintage Martins and a TJ Thompson Schoenberg. While the Schoenberg is hard to beat, the T5 stands up very well in its own right to any of them."

Which one of these guys would you buy a used car from?

Wow Musicofanatic. I came across this post 2 years later and thought the innuendo was completely unnecessary and lowbrow, no matter which one of us it was aimed at. In my own case, besides that you took the quote entirely out of context of the rest of my post, you failed to consider my comments about using acoustic, bronze-wound strings on the guitar which, by the way, came shipped with electric strings.

Without asking the other guy which strings he was using to compare the T5 to his Larrivees, Martins, etc., you jumped to a rather unbalanced conclusion based on your own biased presumptions.

As far as determining who one might buy a used car from, I think you may have pointed the finger at yourself as the one NOT to.

Pietro
06-12-2012, 12:23 PM
croth, you win the "dig up an old thread" award for June 2012.

crowhue
06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
I have to be honest: I owned a Taylor T5 Standard guitar a few years back. I wanted it for dual acoustic / electric playing in a 2 piece I was performing in at the time. I found that it did neither particularly well. At best it was a decent practice acoustic that didnt make too much noise acoustically. It sold on for 850.

s2y
06-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Always amazes me how many people hate the T5. Sounds killer through my Carr.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/spade2you/DSC00836.jpg

Timcito
06-12-2012, 05:32 PM
You could also look into the Godin Multiac Spectrum. I have one of these and it's a superb, well-made instrument that has an acoustic bridge pickup, an electric lipstick pickup, and a 13-pin synthesizer socket. You can mix all these three sounds together (and separately through 3 different amps) if you're so inclined. Worth a look if you're going in the T-5 direction. A lot cheaper, too.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/timolin1/Godin.jpg

Pietro
06-12-2012, 05:43 PM
You could also look into the Godin Multiac Spectrum. I have one of these and it's a superb, well-made instrument that has an acoustic bridge pickup, an electric lipstick pickup, and a 13-pin synthesizer socket. You can mix all these three sounds together (and separately through 3 different amps) if you're so inclined. Worth a look if you're going in the T-5 direction. A lot cheaper, too.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/timolin1/Godin.jpg

Godin makes AMAZINGLY cool multi-voice stuff! I've had three of them and friends have had others, and they are all stellar.

croth
06-13-2012, 10:29 AM
croth, you win the "dig up an old thread" award for June 2012.

Yeah, pretty neat, eh? I really had nothing else to do that day. I need to get a life... :rotflmao