PDA

View Full Version : That little spring in a Strat trem arm hole

RichieD
06-13-2010, 09:04 PM
I understand the concept of the spring which is in the block of a Strat trem. I do find that the arm stays more snug in the hole with it than without it.

My question is, why doesn't Fender make a way for it to stay in? Any suggestions about how to make it stay in there (I was thinking maybe a drop of super glue)? Any reason it should not be secured in there?

RnB
06-13-2010, 10:06 PM
I like to use the Spring. It's a good thing. If you go without it, you run he risk of bottoming the arm out in the block & eventually you might wind up stripping the block out. Especially of it's made of Zinc! The steel blocks will also strip if you swonk on the bar a lot or over-tighten it. Callaham makes some great blocks & arms. They do wonders for your sound too...no springs needed w/ them.

With regards to the little spring: I wrap a piece of masking tape around it, so it doesn't fall out of the block when the arm's removed. One wrap usually works. If your trem arm still wobbles, you can try wrapping white Teflon Plumbing tape around the the thread a few times & that should tighten it up some. Getting the tape out is usually a minor issue that follows when you go to remove the arm...

RRfireblade
06-13-2010, 10:11 PM
My question is, why doesn't Fender make a way for it to stay in? Any suggestions about how to make it stay in there (I was thinking maybe a drop of super glue)? Any reason it should not be secured in there?

Un-curl the last coil of the spring just a tiny bit and when it gets pushed all the way down , it'll stay right there.

9fingers
06-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Bend a slight kink in the spring & reinsert it, or put a tiny dab of thick lithium grease on the end that goes in first & that'll stick it in there.

5E3
06-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Un-curl the last coil of the spring just a tiny bit and when it gets pushed all the way down , it'll stay right there.
Excellent idea. Thanks for this :aok

blanche
06-14-2010, 05:48 PM
I always thought those springs were useless pieces of junk...

tjmicsak
06-14-2010, 09:05 PM
How about using surgical tubing like as is done on pickups in place of the springs?