PDA

View Full Version : Guitars with narrow necks? (for players with short fingers)

guitarlix
06-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Are there are any guitars with narrow necks (and string spacing) that aren't thin? I like relatively full feeling necks that aren't too wide.

The closest I've come are on certain EBMM guitars which are comfortable. However, I wouldn't mind going even narrower.

Any such guitars on the market? (short of a custom solution)

Tone_Terrific
06-26-2010, 07:55 PM
I think the Hello Kitty Squier might fit your request.

mad dog
06-26-2010, 07:55 PM
One of my favorite guitars is somewhat like that. The Yamaha SGV800. A rather radical looking surf guitar. A friend of mine calls it "the hockey stick" because damn if the headstock doesn't look like that. Anyway, it's 1 5/8 at the nut, widend out in such a way that it's not quite as wide as you'd expect up near the body. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. Meanwhile the neck is not thin. Deep enough to feel substantial. I like how this guitar feels and plays.
MD

treeofpain
06-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Some of the late 60's Gibsons have a chubby profile with a narrow nut. Not sure what you are looking for or your budget...

Mudder
06-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Rickenbacker 620 is a bit like that. Narrow across but not thin from board to back.

Maxer
06-26-2010, 09:08 PM
If you can find them, the late 70s - early 80s Guild S series had a narrow nut width. Just fantastic guitars.

Otherwise, if you're an LP fan, try a Rondo Agile with the slim taper neck option.

JB Eckl
06-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Gibson L6-S! Skinniest neck ever. Very funky, cool guitars.

Boris Bubbanov
06-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Are there are any guitars with narrow necks (and string spacing) that aren't thin? I like relatively full feeling necks that aren't too wide.

The closest I've come are on certain EBMM guitars which are comfortable. However, I wouldn't mind going even narrower.

Any such guitars on the market? (short of a custom solution)

I dunno how much you'd like to spend.

Rather than the Hello Kitty I would suggest the old Squier Affinity Teles made in Indonesia also. Narrow 40.5 mm at the nut I think. WAY WAY too small for me and my fingers are small for my hand size.

G + L USA makes some special sized necks and this, combined with a real genuine 1 + 5/8ths nut width (not the 1.650 that so many "vintage" guitars like AV52s and No-Casters have) should create some opportunities.

Study study study the MIJ/CIJ Fender guitar models. Certain models of those have really petite neck sizes to cater to the Japanese market cross section - find out exactly which ones they are - certain reissue models I think.

Bonnie Raitt signature Fender Stratocaster.

Twangzilla
06-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Some 70s strats have a very narrow nut width. Most of them are pretty slim but I have one that is a pretty fat custom neck. I can't imagine a much better solution than a EB for a modern guitar, they are thin nut width and still very rounded out.

metalman
06-26-2010, 11:56 PM
I know that PRS makes different nut widths but I'm not sure how narrow they go. Might want to check out their website.

arthur rotfeld
06-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Some 70s strats have a very narrow nut width. Most of them are pretty slim but I have one that is a pretty fat custom neck. I can't imagine a much better solution than a EB for a modern guitar, they are thin nut width and still very rounded out.

Yes....70s Fender can fit the bill.

My early 70s Tele Deluxe has a 1 5/8 nut width and a decent profile, not thin, but not too chunky either.

In short, I think 1 5/8 nut is the spec you are looking for.

Twangzilla
06-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Yes....70s Fender can fit the bill.

My early 70s Tele Deluxe has a 1 5/8 nut width and a decent profile, not thin, but not too chunky either.

In short, I think 1 5/8 nut is the spec you are looking for.

I have had some 70's fenders that were even slightly smaller than 1 5/8. Part of it might be wear but I think some of them came out even smaller from the factory.

Metalrulez
06-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Daisey Rock or what ever the guitars aimed at girls are? I have never played one my self but imagine they would have smaller necks.

buddastrat
06-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Many of the old Fenders and some reissue types have a narrow 1.625" nut width, but the string spacing is not narrow, some of the old Fenders were even more narrow at the nut, as Twang said. I've played a lot of import/beginner strat types that had specs like you want, Squier and knock offs that are small.

You could put a bridge with narrow spacing on one of those old Fenders or.. You could build up a nice strat suited to your specs from a parts company. I played some Ibanez that fit too, but I ain't familar with their models.

arthur rotfeld
06-27-2010, 08:44 AM
I have had some 70's fenders that were even slightly smaller than 1 5/8. Part of it might be wear but I think some of them came out even smaller from the factory.

I have a student who has a Fender with one almost a 1/16 smaller than that. I was busting his chops about how he was choking out an adjacent string in a chord, I said, "let me check that out." I don't like the blame students when an instrument is, at least partially, at fault.

My '74 has narrow string spacing, in addition to the narrow nut.

HoboMan
06-27-2010, 09:17 AM
I have a Hamer Artist that has a narrow nut width but a fat neck profile. It is currently my #1 guitar. The neck feels GREAT in my hand.

Average Joe
06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Tried a Tokai MIJ semi yesterday - very narrow at the nut but surprisingly deep neck. That thing was absolutely amazing and I'm trying to justify my 8th guitar :D

blanche
06-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Fender "A" width necks were 1 1/2" at the nut. Someone with small hands would probably be comfortable with an "A" width Mustang, which would have the added benefit of a shorter scale length.

Giraffecaster
06-27-2010, 10:34 AM
tenor guitar?

Tone_Terrific
06-27-2010, 10:55 AM
You know, short fingers, with wide tips, are going to be a problem that will not be solved by a narrow nut.
I would much rather have the room between the strings and make the extra stretch, when playing near the nut. The freedom from having to precisely scrunch one's finger together is worth it, imo.

KRaZeE
06-27-2010, 04:14 PM
A +1 for the 70s/early 90s Guild S series. I have small hands and I love my S-100s.

Soapbarstrat
06-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Mid to late 80's Squire MIJ Contemporary models, especially the rear-rout bodies/ black headstock, 24.75" scale length, more narrow width than normal all the way down. Bugged the hell out of me that I couldn't put the neck on another Fender body without a huge gap on both sides of the neck pocket. Pretty sure I have the nut width written down somewhere. Even narrow for a Fender and way more narrow than most any other 24.75" scale neck.
And the thickness from fretboard surface to the back seemed pretty normal.

Zero
06-27-2010, 06:16 PM
My 1980 Strat is like the 70's ones with a slightly less than 1-5/8" nut. I had a '77 Flying V like that too.

Hard2Hear
06-27-2010, 06:47 PM
70s Gibsons, especially SGs. You won't find a skinnier neck. I have small hands myself and those are my favorites.

Lo Blues
06-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Music Man. I think it's the Axis series. I think it's what you're looking for. I don't particularly care for them but I know a few guy's who love em. They're hands aren't that small come to think of it but I just remember the necks feeling small without being too thin or changing the scale.

Robzebr
06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm looking at the PRS Starla because it has a 24 1/2" neck... I tried a Rickenbacker 360 (24 5/8") at a guitar show and it fit my hand really well... first time I tried a 24 5/8" neck... The Starla is even a little shorter so I'm looking to try one of those.... the fret spacing will be closer but it has the PRS "wide fat" neck ...

http://www.prsguitars.com/starla/specs.html

Help!I'maRock!
06-27-2010, 08:00 PM
sigh.

i have small hands. they have never gotten in the way of me playing any guitar i want to. learn some stretching exercises. that'll help you far more than any thin neck, short scale guitar will.

Scafeets
06-27-2010, 09:10 PM
My everyday gig guitar is an EBMM. A similar feel would be the Korean Parkers, which are a great deal for 500-600 clams.

grapeshot
06-27-2010, 09:35 PM
The Starla has a "wide-fat" neck profile, so I don't think that will work for you. I have an EBMM Albert Lee HH that has a neck you would love. I also recommend trying out a PRS Johnny Hiland. You can also spec your own neck out on an Anderson (and other builders, Suhr, Grosh, etc).

grungebob
06-28-2010, 03:37 AM
I haven't read the entire thread so appologies if somebody ahs already mentioned them but Daisy Rock guitars have narrow fretboards. Yes they are MIK but nice soundly built guitars with tonepros and grover hardware plus great playability.

andrekp
06-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Squire Affinity Tele. Narrow neck and pretty decent out of the box. Still somewhere south of $200.

You might consider whether narrowness is the solution to your problem though. You might find, even with small hands, that you cramp up more. Maybe changing your grip, or getting a thicker neck would be better? Maybe do a concerted search for different neck contours at your local music stores. I have smaller hands, but I find a chunkier, rather than narrow, neck more comfy.

John C
06-28-2010, 09:16 AM
You might also try to turn up a Bonnie Raitt signature Strat - they had a 1 9/16" nut width since they were based on her old '67 Strat.

I have that issue; I currently have both an EBMM Silhouette Special and an Grosh Retro Classic Standard. Pretty much every EBMM 6-string model has a 1.625" wide nut exept the Petrucci models; of course the neck shape varies from the Albert Lee being the fattest (and it's about the same as my Grosh which has a .830" depth at the 1st fret) and the Morse being the thinnest in depth. The Luke has a mild V shape.

The Grosh has a more full neck - it kind of "rounds in" to the fingerboard so it is acuatlly a bit wider below the fingerboard than it is a the fingerboard. Not sure if it's going to work as well as the EBMM neck, but the Grosh sure has a sweet Stratty sound.

brentrocks
06-28-2010, 02:39 PM
EBMM AXIS....or Albert Lee

calpa94
06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I sold a ernie ball silouette special because I couldn't handle the narrow nut width. As others have reccommended I'd look at music man.

stucker
06-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I'll 2nd the Don Grosh suggestion. I've always liked deeper necks but narrow across the fingerboard. His medium roundback with 1 5/8 nut width is very comfortable for me.

Some G&L's are very similar. I had some Fenders from the late 60's to early 70's that also had this profile.

DGW
07-16-2010, 12:59 AM
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/DGW1/DGWWEBPHOTOS001.jpgI think you should look into a short scale guitar,,why ride a bike thats to big for you..:YinYang

Tobacco78
07-16-2010, 06:36 AM
70s Gibsons, especially SGs. You won't find a skinnier neck. I have small hands myself and those are my favorites.

Concur whole heartedly!

My early 70's SG Custom has a very slim neck. But it also feels like a very fast neck (at least to me) and cords well even at the first fret.

I also have a 90's Epi LPjr that is fairly narrow across the fret board but it has more thickness around the neck. Much more so than my SG.

acwild
07-16-2010, 07:12 AM
I haven't read the entire thread so appologies if somebody ahs already mentioned them but Daisy Rock guitars have narrow fretboards. Yes they are MIK but nice soundly built guitars with tonepros and grover hardware plus great playability.

I bought one for my daughter and will admit that I find myself playing it every once in a while, even though it's pink sparkle. :hide2 The neck is thin and has a great unfinished feel.

andrekp
07-16-2010, 07:32 AM
The Squire Affinity TEle ($180) has a fairly narrow neck with otherwise decent beefyness. The neck is about a beefy front-to-back as regular Teles, but the neck is narrower across the nut.

It's a nice guitar as well. Put a few upgrades in and it is as good as any. I put some SD '54's in and it sounds as beautiful clean as any guitar ever could.

The problem is that as you narrow the nut, you also have to have thin, not just short, fingers to play, otherwise it all just gets sloppy.

robertkoa
07-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Fender Bonnie Raitt Strat is very narrow.

Some of the Yamaha Pacificas have quite narrow necks with a radius of about 14" for easy bending. The midpriced Pacificas used to have Duncan Pickups- not sure now but even the $200. ones can be surprisingly good.

A lot of guitars FEEL smaller even though they may not be narrower.

Try the Music Man Silhouettes.

The Suhr Pro Series have the Easy Slim C neck profile and are real easy to play.

I have small hands with a short pinky and changed my fretting hand so the thumb "floats" right behind the neck and clamps over for frequent bending/vibrato- it's in the same spot -just not clamped over( until I bend) and it's "widened" my fret hand reach- so I don't need the skinny necks any more.( this is WAY easier than it sounds).

Keep in mind that many guitars are narrower at the nut but then the same string width at the bridge .

You just have to play them to see what's best for you .

AstroStrat89
07-16-2010, 09:25 AM
+1 on the Squire Affinity Tele. I have very short fingers, and it's probably the most comfortable playing guitar I have. Since it appears to me that the string spacing is standard the thing you sacrifice is that there is not much room on the low and high E strings.

dspellman
07-16-2010, 09:34 AM

About the most amount of difference you're going to find is an eighth of an inch. You might be better off to simply have the nut cut so that it cheats the strings narrower and perhaps to one side.

I'm a bit mystified about your technique if you're willing to deal with a chunky neck depth but worried about the distance between E strings... Are you guys *palming* the neck rather than simply putting your thumb on the back for a bit of support? And is this why there are so many people fussing over the back of the neck being sticky? I think I have perhaps a quarter of an inch diameter contact patch with the back of the neck when I play, unless I need a thumb to wrap around and mute (or fret) some notes... as a result, my preference in necks is wide, thin and flat.

Nothing wrong with a different technique -- I was just curious what it was.

JRC4558Dude
07-16-2010, 11:03 AM
sigh.

i have small hands. they have never gotten in the way of me playing any guitar i want to. learn some stretching exercises. that'll help you far more than any thin neck, short scale guitar will.

Same here. I have ludricrously small girlie-man hands. I just deal with it.

TonyV
07-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Thin necks I owned that were compatible with my sausage fingers
69 Gibson ES-330
Hamer from the Chicago factory from around early-mid 90s
USA made Reverends
Godin Freeway

edited to add Tom Anderson Tele

I have a 1993 Strat Plus and a Heritage 535 that are narrow enough for my short fingers but I don't think the brands are that consistent so you would have to try them first.

custom53
07-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Early Hamer Specials ('80, '81, '82)
EBMM EVH guitars... The Axis are on the smallish side but wider than the EVH...

Mariemiller02
07-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

bluesjuke
07-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Narrow string spacing may turn into a dislike whether your fingers are short and fat or long and slender.