PDA

View Full Version : 15,18, 20 watt amps?

Trey Pate
07-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I am thinking about selling my fender 2x12 deville and getting a different amp. I figure that i can probably get between $500-600 for the amp and i would like to replace it with what i sold it for. Im looking for a 1x12, 15-20 watt combo amp. I need something that I can use at church and sounds good with praise and worship type stuff. It can be new or used, but i pretty much have to stay in that price range. any suggestions? im open to just about anything.

jdolll
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
If your into a little bit of work the is a trinity tc15 in the emporium with no cab for like 425. You could get a cab and a speaker and have yourself a killer amp for 700 or so. Otherwise if your looking for no more than 600 or so, the new ac15c1's are getting some decent buzz around here, they are 599 new I believe.

Mudder
07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Peavey Bravo. I think 15w, el84, around $325 or so frequently. Very solid little amp.

terrapin
07-14-2010, 09:00 PM
GOOD amps under 30-watts are the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trey Pate
07-14-2010, 09:19 PM
im kinda liking the ac15c1... but still open to opinions.
GOOD amps under 30-watts are the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

any suggestions?

dspellman
07-14-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm not, honestly, sure that there's a benefit to that size amplifier. Since I rarely get to really overdrive a POWER tube, I think it would have to be something more like 5 watts before I'd be willing to punch it that hard (and it's relatively cheap to replace a single EL84). If I'm going to have the size of the usual 20-watt amp (the Egnater Rebel 20, for example, with a 1x12 cab), I'm probably going to just take my Carvin 2x12 Belair (50W EL84-based) combo. Acres of clean headroom, yada yada.

If you're committed to that size amp and that power rating, you should look at the Carvin Vintage 16. Outstanding little combo amp, will run at both 16 W and at 5 W, has a 12" speaker in a small box. And it's in your price range.

Austinrocks
07-14-2010, 09:31 PM
had a 4x10 deville, understand getting a different amp, looked at getting a small amp, had a marshall studio 15, 18 watts, 6v6s, stupidly sold, it was marginal in the garage band, used a 40 watt fender with it.

very happy with my hot rod deluxe, it came with a Vintage 30 speaker, 60 watt power handling, got the omega mod which fixes the drive channel, mine is a nice marshall drive, something I been looking for, marshall and fender in one amp. The omega mod is $250 and Jim turns the amp around is a week. So I was not without my amp for long.

I do run JJs 6v6s, they have a 500 volt plate voltage, so can replace the 6L6 in the hot rods. deluxe is 425 and deville is 485, of the top of my head. This is the only difference in the deluxe and deville, the plate voltage to get the higher power, the deluxe is so much easier to live with, running input 2 lowers the volume so the stupid volume controls do not kill,

got side tracked the JJs 6v6s get me 20 watts, the numbers 18, 20, 22 watts for the 6v6 amps really don't mean a thing.

personally having had an 18 watt amp that limited me for along time, it sounded great just was not loud enough when playing, my hot rod deluxe is running 20 watts with the 6v6s, I can easily go to 40 watts by putting the 6L6s that came the amp.

The omega mod fixes the frustrations of the the hot rods, I had the stock deville, so I know the frustrations, useless drive channel is now marshall like and I love it.

http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

if you search there are several omega threads, Guitar T dave has one after a year, he got his done after mine, both very happy with these amps.

the nice thing about the mod is that it does not have to be done when you get the amp, for me I had pedals that I used with the deville, so lost nothing but the pain of the deville, my mesa V-twin was retired when I got the omega mod, my tube screamer and choruses still use those.

terrapin
07-14-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm not, honestly, sure that there's a benefit to that size amplifier. Since I rarely get to really overdrive a POWER tube, I think it would have to be something more like 5 watts before I'd be willing to punch it that hard (and it's relatively cheap to replace a single EL84). If I'm going to have the size of the usual 20-watt amp (the Egnater Rebel 20, for example, with a 1x12 cab), I'm probably going to just take my Carvin 2x12 Belair (50W EL84-based) combo. Acres of clean headroom, yada yada.

If you're committed to that size amp and that power rating, you should look at the Carvin Vintage 16. Outstanding little combo amp, will run at both 16 W and at 5 W, has a 12" speaker in a small box. And it's in your price range.

I think your points are good................BUT a 12-watt Princeton Reverb (IMO) can do it all with the right balance of amp/guitar balance. "ACRES" of clean headroom and easily "punched" into SWEET bluesy overdrive.

I just scored a PRRI and even stock it offers all I just said with my single-coil guitars. And very affordable... IMO the BEST Fender Reissue amp on the market! Fender nailed this one unless someone is a "Point-to-Point" purest...........

mgarrison99
07-14-2010, 09:40 PM
for EL84 tones, i would suggest the Carvin Nomad or 16.for 6v6 tones, i would suggest the Fender Super Champ XD (even though it's a 10" combo). upgrade the tubes and speaker to an Eminence Rajin Cajun and you're good to go.

eccmac
07-14-2010, 09:42 PM
I have two amps that I have used in church and both worked great. the first is a 70's Fender Vibrochamp(6w) and the second is an Egnater Tweaker(15w). Granted our church is really hot and has a ton of natural harmonics. Thats how I get away with the Vibrochamp. The Tweaker is new and has almost to many options. I'm still figuring it out. It is quite loud and a ton of head room. I did put a set of J J tubes in mine.

Deadduck
07-14-2010, 10:37 PM
im kinda liking the ac15c1... but still open to opinions.

That would be hard to beat, IMO.

Trey Pate
07-14-2010, 10:54 PM
That would be hard to beat, IMO.

do you have one or have you played one?

TRS1
07-14-2010, 11:17 PM
If I were in the market at that price range I would check out the vox AC15 mentioned above or you can pick up a nice Fender DRRI or vibrolux custom for 6-700 used here on TGP or craigslist If those don't strike your fancy check out a Princeton reverb with a Timmy pedal for the overdrive and you've got a fantastic sounding rig for just a few more sheckles then you sold the current one for. Good Luck!

TRS1
07-14-2010, 11:22 PM
...Also forgot to mention Fender has the special edition blues jr. With an upgraded Jensen or a vintage 30 in it and those sound pretty darn good for the money. Brand new they go for around 500. I would actually choose that over the vox

Wombat
07-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Find a used Winfield Cyclone... its an AC15 clone with a nice warm EF86 preamp. Takes pedals like a champ and has a master. Its like a Dr. Z Stangray on a budget

Trey Pate
07-14-2010, 11:39 PM
i have thought about a blues junior a lot but i kinda just want something different. and i was trying to stay with a combo. i just dont see getting a head and cabinet and staying in my price range.

michael.e
07-15-2010, 12:14 AM
I am thinking about selling my fender 2x12 deville and getting a different amp. I figure that i can probably get between $500-600 for the amp and i would like to replace it with what i sold it for. Im looking for a 1x12, 15-20 watt combo amp. I need something that I can use at church and sounds good with praise and worship type stuff. It can be new or used, but i pretty much have to stay in that price range. any suggestions? im open to just about anything.

Sell it, save some money, get an Ax-FX and play some Edge stuff. You are done and everybody is happy.

Trey Pate
07-15-2010, 12:22 AM
the winfield sounds good but i was kinda looking for a combo and i dont think i could get the head and the cab in my price range.