PDA

View Full Version : Eminence Legend M12's...in a Peavey 212 MC?

epluribus
07-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Picked up a used Peavey 2x12 cab (212 MC) and pulled the "stock" speaks out to make room for a pair of Greenbacks. So far so good, Greenbacks very happy in their new home. But...

The speakers that came out have Eminence codes on 'em, and the model number is 5500-1208/M12PA. Anybody happen to know what these are and maybe even have an opinion on them? Incidentally, they look just like M12's, magnet weight and all.

Some background: Peavey 212 MC's came loaded with Celestions. Obviously this one's not stock. 1208 probably indicates 12" 8 ohm...makes sense. The 5500 might refer to a 55hz model, which would suit the speaker more to bass or small PA-type use, hence the "PA" suffix on the M12PA.

S'pose I shoulda played 'em before yankin' 'em, but the cab needed re-wired badly since the jacks were seriously corroded, so I figured I'd load the Greenbacks in to begin with.

Tank of a cab, btw, good ol' Peavey! Very nice plywood throughout with a partition between speakers ala Mesa, appears to be 3/4" ply no less, excellent construction. The cab alone was worth the price, but I'm intrigued by these speakers as well.

--Ray

epluribus
07-17-2010, 08:26 PM
One bump for good luck. :)

:bumpbump

VanR
07-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Mine came with Scorpions. I just have 1 Vintage 30 in there now. Oh and I took a jigsaw and cut the partition between speakers out. Made a BIG difference in the sound of the cabinet when I had 2 speakers in it. That partition is a tone sucker I say. Doesn't let the 2 speakers interact like a good 2-12 should. I hated this cabinet until I cut the partition out. Is this what yours looks like? Peavey logo long gone too.

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab185/VanRiales/IM000606Cab.jpg

epluribus
07-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Yup, that's the critter...'preciate it. (Mine has the logo. :)) Wondered about the partition too...the Greenbacks sound great, but it sounds like two 1x12's. Mesa cabs built this way sound like that to me too, and I've never quite acquired the taste for them either. Anyhoo, I'm giving the config time to grow on me...sure does interesting things to traditional Greenback sound.

Scorpions...does Peavey make their own speakers or just farm them out and have them re-badged I wonder? Still amazed to have found Emi's in there.

--Ray

VanR
07-18-2010, 02:05 AM
I've been looking for another one of these for years. They never turn up. If you ever want to sell that cab PM me. Well mine is a 212 MS not a MC. S for Scorpions C for Celestion.

epluribus
07-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Fosse-natin'...so the initials actually mean something eh? By all means, I'll keep you posted if I decide to sell it. OTOH, not being especially attached to it, we can always talk trade as well. For sure, PM me if you like. Incidentally, I don't blame you...I can see where having two of these would be a very cool thing.

--Ray

Jef Bardsley
07-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Scorpions...does Peavey make their own speakers or just farm them out and have them re-badged I wonder? Still amazed to have found Emi's in there.
Peavey makes a ton of speakers, but mostly high end stuff. Guitar players don't tend to see it, but they're serious competition for companies like JBL in arena sound systems. 1/4 of the NFL stadiums use Peavey. So does the Sydney Opera House. They farm out things like the Blue Marvel series (Eminence). AFAIK, Scorpions and Black Widows they make themselves.