PDA

View Full Version : Egnater Tweaker for.....

Audioholic
07-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Can the Egnater Tweaker convincingly do modern hard rock and possibly metal?

any sound samples to back it up?

theroan
07-26-2010, 10:07 AM
I tried one and I would say no. Anything beyond U2 levels of gain is out of it's league. The Transatlantic might get closer if you're looking for a lunchbox amp.

Audioholic
07-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Mesa has no efx loop, needed for me. I wonder how a pedal like the riot would work to making the tweaker more hard rock friendly?

Lance
07-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Not by itself, but it takes metal pedals quite well. Here's the Hot British into mine...

Wu8JV7u4dW0

theroan
07-26-2010, 11:57 AM
The riot would get you there for sure.

germs
07-26-2010, 12:53 PM
not on it's own, but backing off the gain to make it a channel switcher (using a pedal) would limit the functionality in a band setting. that is, it would be too quiet.

modern hard rock? depends on the tones you're after...

modern metal? not a chance. Tweaker ain't built for that.

you're probably looking at Rebel series to get those tones (or close).

Lance
07-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Modern metal? If I just hit the mid scoop on the Hot British, and turn up the low end, it'll get there, for sure. No, definitely not on it's own.

Marshall Man
07-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Lance - nice tone and some great playing!

Lance
07-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Lance - nice tone and some great playing!

Thanks! They sure do make some awesome pedals these days. Coming soon will be some Ethos vids. I need to do a hefty death metal one, while it's all set-up. then a country, of course a blues one. I'll see if I can squeaze a convincing Politician tone out of a Tweaker. ;)

SgtThump
07-26-2010, 07:37 PM
I tried one and I would say no. Anything beyond U2 levels of gain is out of it's league. The Transatlantic might get closer if you're looking for a lunchbox amp.

I started to say that was crazy, but to be honest, I guess I don't know what "U2 levels of gain" is. LOL

I spent quite a while with a Tweaker combo yesterday and I loved it! I don't play metal, but it had alot more gain on tap than I expected. I use EVH levels of gain and it was easily there at around 1:00 o'clock on the preamp gain dial. It went up from there too, I believe.

It's not voiced for metal, though.

EdMan57
07-27-2010, 01:00 AM
The Blackstar HT20?

aW4HlT-ZOPo&feature=related

Tx5OsDnzFoY

:dunno

Ed

Sikor
07-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Mesa has no efx loop, needed for me. I wonder how a pedal like the riot would work to making the tweaker more hard rock friendly?
Check out the Engl Gig Master 15 head :aok

theroan
07-27-2010, 07:28 AM
The EMMA pisdo would give a lot of nice gain in a pedal too.

Sikor
07-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Pretty fresh high-gain demo of the Gig Master 15 head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blliOjcsyBo

Lance
07-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Hmm, I can't watch this while at work, but am quite intrigued. Does it sound twice as good? I do like the two channel, foot switchable thing with boost! But, if I am going to spend that much, I'd rather save more and get a Dr. Z head. Or, save still more and get a Red Plate.

Audioholic
07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
The blackstar HT-20 was on my short look list, as well as the Jet City new 50 Watt Head. Had an HT-5 and loved it.

checking out the Engl Demo.

I really dug the tweaker while I briefly played it, great for mild drive. Upon hearing the online demos, the gain characteristic definitely will not be ideal for hard rock type of stuff.

Sikor
07-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Hmm, I can't watch this while at work, but am quite intrigued. Does it sound twice as good? I do like the two channel, foot switchable thing with boost!
Twice as good as what? Gig Master won me over with it's built in power soak. At 1W You can get poweramp tubes saturation tones at reasonable, home levels.

But, if I am going to spend that much, I'd rather save more and get a Dr. Z head. Or, save still more and get a Red Plate.
Over here, the cheapest Maz 18 Jr head costs 3x more than Gig Master, has only 1 channel and no power brake, so it's really apples and oranges.

SgtThump
07-28-2010, 01:26 AM
...I really dug the tweaker while I briefly played it, great for mild drive. Upon hearing the online demos, the gain characteristic definitely will not be ideal for hard rock type of stuff.

I play hard rock stuff and I think the Tweaker is great for that. I don't own one, but I spent a good while with one the other day and I loved it. I think it can get alot dirtier than "mild drive." I had some killer high gain tones on the Brit setting with the gain knob at 2:00 o'clock or so.

speaknspell
07-29-2010, 12:01 AM
love that gigmaster..no wrong notes.sweet. The guy in the cave with the tweeker.......good tone but ya drownin out the karoke track....blend!
Ht 5 rules!