PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Kenny Wayne Shepherd ever appear at Crossroads

Steedee
07-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Anyone know why Kenny has never played the Crossroads guitar festival in Chicago? Does he not get invited or what?

rickc007
07-28-2010, 05:06 PM
You know ... didn't even think of him

Big fan of his, but he's kept himself off the radar

Steedee
07-28-2010, 05:14 PM
You know ... didn't even think of him

Big fan of his, but he's kept himself off the radar

Ya, seems like he would fit right in with the usual crowd....

2HBStrat
07-28-2010, 05:18 PM
He plays too loud!

Steedee
07-28-2010, 05:22 PM
He plays too loud!

Really?
I've seen him twice.. I could say he was loud, but not over bearing.
He's not any louder than Johnny Lang.

iamdavea
07-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Resentment?? Maybe a feeling that Kenny was too readily positioned as the "new SRV", and some folks (Clapton?) didn't dig it?? I'm just throwing this out there.

Rotten
07-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Resentment?? Maybe a feeling that Kenny was too readily positioned as the "new SRV", and some folks (Clapton?) didn't dig it?? I'm just throwing this out there.

I don't know if resentment is the right word as far as Clapton is concerned. Perhaps it is respect. Sure, John Mayer pulls a lot of Stevie Ray Wannabes, but he had established himself first with his singing, acoustic playing, and songwriting. KWS was just a bit too blatant for my tastes, even his name sounds crafted after SRV's.

Bloomfield fan
07-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Why was this the first year Warren Haynes played Crossroads and all three shows?

Balok
07-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Last I heard KWS was sober, but prior to that, I suspect some damage was done, as in damaged relationships, and there is a finite number of folks in the biz at the Clapton level.

iamdavea
07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Last I heard KWS was sober, but prior to that, I suspect some damage was done, as in damaged relationships, and there is a finite number of folks in the biz at the Clapton level.

Good post. I remember George Carlin talking about having to work really hard to convince people at "the Johnny Carson level" that his days of abuse were behind him and he could be trusted again to behave like a pro. It took him a lot of time, apparently.

Jim Soloway
07-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Good post. I remember George Carlin talking about having to work really hard to convince people at "the Johnny Carson level" that his days of abuse were behind him and he could be trusted again to behave like a pro. It took him a lot of time, apparently.

I guess there's is definitely something to be said for being a complete nobody in your run-amok days. :) (And lest anyone take offense, that's strictly based on my own reminiscence)

tim gueguen
07-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Maybe he has no interest in participating.

Alister
07-28-2010, 07:55 PM
I guess there's is definitely something to be said for being a complete nobody in your run-amok days. :) (And lest anyone take offense, that's strictly based on my own reminiscence)

You're not a nobody, Jim.
But I am, and there IS a great deal to be said for being one.

stevieboy
07-28-2010, 08:34 PM
There have only been three, with many repeat performers. I/we could come up with a long list of deserving guitarists who haven't played at one.

No real reason to assume he or anyone else would perform at one or that there's some significant reason why they haven't. It's Clapton's deal.

Steedee
07-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Maybe he has no interest in participating.

I was thinking the same thing, but for some reason I sense some resentment with him from the others, or maybe even just Clapton.
I just think it's strange.

loofery
07-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I heard from a friend who heard from a friend that KWS had a falling out with clapton after he consumed ALL of the brie cheese at a reception they both attended

KeithC
07-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Not sure why KWS isn't included but I saw him at a G3 years ago and his playing was a welcomed respite from Satch and Vai. Not that they weren't good. I especially like Satch.

Even though KWS gets knocked around for being positioned as a "new" SRV his tone and not so overdriven or effects laden sound was a nice break at the G3.

Jim Soloway
07-28-2010, 09:53 PM
You're not a nobody, Jim.
But I am, and there IS a great deal to be said for being one.

I was certainly a nobody when I was running amok.

greggorypeccary
07-28-2010, 10:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but for some reason I sense some resentment with him from the others, or maybe even just Clapton.
I just think it's strange.

How do you sense resentment? Do you hang out with these guys?

Steedee
07-29-2010, 07:15 AM
How do you sense resentment? Do you hang out with these guys?

Haha...
I just think Kenny would have played Crossroads by now had he been invited.

markophonic
07-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Here is a video clip of KWS playing at the Wetzel motorcycle rally I attended last weekend. He put on a decent show.

9Dtpc9KhKXM

Bassomatic
07-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I heard from a friend who heard from a friend that KWS had a falling out with clapton after he consumed ALL of the brie cheese at a reception they both attended

This has gotta be a joke, correct?

ScottR
07-29-2010, 09:24 AM
He disappeared off the radar after he got married

Franklin
07-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm guessing becuase he is really "just another guitar player" whem it boils down to it. Not many non-singing guitarists out there who are household names, including KWS.

There are 10s of thousands of great guitarist out there. KWS is just one of them.

Phalanx200bc
07-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Would it kill em' to invite Gary Moore over?

Steedee
07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm guessing becuase he is really "just another guitar player" whem it boils down to it. Not many non-singing guitarists out there who are household names, including KWS.

There are 10s of thousands of great guitarist out there. KWS is just one of them.

If you have your own signature Strat, your not "just another guitar player". And Kenny did sing on his 3rd studio release.
I understand what your getting at, but I think Kenny has seperated himself from the average wanker and could easily be included in conversations with Lang, vaughan, Cray, etc....
He seems like an obviouis pick to be invited to the festival.

ReddRanger
07-29-2010, 10:32 AM
He disappeared off the radar after he got married
Yeah....to Mel Gibson's daughter actually....:hide2

I think it's Clapton's show. He invites you or he doesn't, plain and simple.

Who knows the thought process, but I believe he's said that he generally invites people he wants to see. I don't automatically assume that means he 'doesn't like' people he hasn't invited.

mikelaw
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
He probably hasn't been invited. All musicians on the bill volunteer their time. Maybe he has been invited but doesn't want to play for free? Who knows.

My guess is Clapton hasn't invited him. Clapton makes more decisions about the festival then anyone would guess.

duanesworld
07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Their seems to be a long list of people who haven't played. Only room for so many and ec seems to call on his friends.

telesquire
07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
'Jobs for the boys'..I'm afraid...the same old faces...lots of missing artists cos of that. Its a shame cos it would be a great opportunity to raise the worlds awareness to players like KWS, David Grissom, Robben Ford, Michael Landau, Chris Duarte et al. I love the Crossroads event, but when I think of it in this vein it makes me feel kinda sad.

Derek Q
07-29-2010, 12:06 PM
He probably hasn't been invited.

If Occam's razor could talk, it would say, "This."

ToddK
07-29-2010, 12:12 PM
There are millions of SRV clones out there that play far better than Kenny.

He was lucky to be chosen among all the clones to at least have a few years of
"fame".
Sorry, but he's just not a "great" guitar player. He's a "good" guitarist, who doesnt have his own style. Of course he wouldnt be invited to play with the likes of Ford, Clapton, etc.. It would be a huge insult to the truly great players there.

rickc007
07-29-2010, 12:13 PM
If you have your own signature Strat, your not "just another guitar player". And Kenny did sing on his 3rd studio release.
I understand what your getting at, but I think Kenny has seperated himself from the average wanker and could easily be included in conversations with Lang, vaughan, Cray, etc....
He seems like an obviouis pick to be invited to the festival.

Clapton goes way back with Cray and Vaughn.
Lang has been there from the start.

A lot of Joe Bonamassa fans wondered why he didn't get an invite,
and now he is there.
He is much more on the radar then Kenny, and Clapton did a show with him
at Royal Albert Hall. But even his set was a mix with Robert Randolph

I see Vince Gill there.
You could wonder why Keith Urban or Brad Paisley aren't.

I'd like to see Kenny there too.

Alister
07-29-2010, 12:24 PM
You know an idea (or a gimmick) is worn out when most of the discussion is about who doesn't get "invited."
It's like a bunch of sagging bluebloods playing picnic croquet at The Hamptons:
"Have you noticed the Herndershotts never get invited to our party?"
"Yes, yes, I've noticed this. Sad. Very sad, really."

The same with this stupid phucking "Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame."
All you get are quarrels b/w the Jann Wenner Insiders and the people outside the gate who demand to know why The Monkees or Kiss isn't invited in.

The Crossroads I watched Tuesday night in theater is absolutely the very last I'm going to waste time watching, and I don't care who's in the Who's Who, and who isn't. 90% of it is solo wanking competition anyway.
I love Eric and respect him beyond measure, but this thing has become tired-assed.
The older 'real' blues players like B.B. and Hubert Sumlin (and Johnny Winter, too) are propped up there on stage like holy relic buddhas.
Sad, really.

loudboy
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I've heard that his Dad/manager pretty much killed his career, by not being very professional.

bluesmain
07-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I think Eric promotes his benefit/ fund raising concert with acts that might complement each other with some interesting depth in musical styles and who he likes personally. What a great job that would be, to get on the phone with the "A" list Blues/rock/ fusion artist and invite them to this type of gig. One can only dream of working a gig like that in any capacity.

Madison
07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
I'd like to see KWS at Crossroads...for that matter I'd like to see all new faces. It's pretty much the same crowd on stage every year, time for some new blood.

MRW55
07-29-2010, 02:24 PM
It's Clapton's party. He puts it on, so he has every right to make up his own guest list. Clapton is on record as saying that he invites who he wants to see. Simple, really.

wbm68
07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
I would like to see Philip Sayce at the next Crossroads festival.

aeolian
07-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Why was Jimmy Page in the audience while Jeff invited Eric up on stage at Ronnie Scotts?

It's their show, to put on the way they want. One could always try to promote a show with the line up they want. But that would take some expertise and connections. Or a whole lot of money.

DICKIE C
07-30-2010, 06:53 AM
This has gotta be a joke, correct?

I hope so because I found it hilarious!

DICKIE C
07-30-2010, 07:00 AM
You know an idea (or a gimmick) is worn out when most of the discussion is about who doesn't get "invited."
It's like a bunch of sagging bluebloods playing picnic croquet at The Hamptons:
"Have you noticed the Herndershotts never get invited to our party?"
"Yes, yes, I've noticed this. Sad. Very sad, really."

The same with this stupid phucking "Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame."
All you get are quarrels b/w the Jann Wenner Insiders and the people outside the gate who demand to know why The Monkees or Kiss isn't invited in.

The Crossroads I watched Tuesday night in theater is absolutely the very last I'm going to waste time watching, and I don't care who's in the Who's Who, and who isn't. 90% of it is solo wanking competition anyway.
I love Eric and respect him beyond measure, but this thing has become tired-assed.
The older 'real' blues players like B.B. and Hubert Sumlin (and Johnny Winter, too) are propped up there on stage like holy relic buddhas.
Sad, really.

Jeez, need a pill?
BB , Johnny and Hubert deserve respect and he gives it to them. Nothing wrong with that.

Solo wanking competition? So what if it is? They are great players! I even enjoyed Mayer's 'wanking' on the last one. It was good playing.

Alister
07-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Jeez, need a pill?

Maybe, Whaddaya got for sale?

ROKY
07-30-2010, 11:27 AM
He should get Phillip Sayce on that bill next time .. or Kirk Fletcher .

DICKIE C
07-31-2010, 06:10 AM
Maybe, Whaddaya got for sale?

Nothing I can mention here! :rotflmao

:beer

2HBStrat
07-31-2010, 07:39 AM
When you think of great guitarists who haven't appeared Walter Trout, Tommy Castro, Duke Robillard, Ronnie Earl, and Ronnie Baker Brooks come to mind pretty quickly. Also Coco Montoya, Michael Burks and Buddy Whittington.