PDA

View Full Version : DOD 250 Overdrive Vs MXR Distortion+

fishlog
07-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Are these guys pretty much the same? Tone wise that is?

Bluedano1
07-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Are these guys pretty much the same? Tone wise that is?

I have owned a few MXR D+'s before, never the DOD 250, but from what I have read here on TGP the two pedals are a similar circuit design- the MXR offering more of that square wave grind distortion and you need to advance the Drive/Gain knob of the pedal quite bit a to equal unity gain of your amp (in other words you can't do high Level, low Drive from the pedal as it wont be loud enough). The DOD I believe is capable of a cleaner, higher output without as much distortion if you want that, but of course will grind too at higher Drive levels...seems like both are old school favorites

I hope I am not mis-informing here, I'm sure others that know both pedals will chime in!

fishlog
08-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Anyone else?

I have the D+ and really like it, but as mentioned above its all or nothing in the distortion area at a gig level. I also have to turn my guitars tone way down, but in turn I kind of get the "Women" tone by doing that, which on a strat is not always easy.

I have the DOD on order and I think it might be more of what I am looking for as far as a bit less grind and more useful on a number of general classic rock songs.

Bluedano1
08-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I think having both would let you cover a lot of classic rock stuff-

I'm not really a hard rock style player, not that I don't like to rock hard, I guess I'm just more tied to late '60's and early '70 stuff, or blues & old country (and I have OD for that covered...), but I'd like to get the Whrlwind Goldbox (D+) just to have a kind of fusion-y distortion with sustain tone for "jammy jazz" stuff. It sounds like if I were into playing mid/ late '70's harder rocking stuff with really strong power chords (not really a lot of apparent hard distortion), hell even Skynyrd, where you just want "balls" on any guitar tone you have, the DOD 250 would be a lot of fun....

fishlog
08-01-2010, 06:54 PM
BlueDano, I am begining to think your stalking me... or maybe I'm stalking you LOL I see we have been posting to the same threads a lot lately.

Seems you have the same interest in pedals. Let me know how that Goldbox is when you get it. The D+ is a great pedal for me, as I had said, but I think could be a bit better, maybe the Goldbox is the answer???

Bluedano1
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
BlueDano, I am begining to think your stalking me... or maybe I'm stalking you LOL I see we have been posting to the same threads a lot lately.

Seems you have the same interest in pedals. Let me know how that Goldbox is when you get it. The D+ is a great pedal for me, as I had said, but I think could be a bit better, maybe the Goldbox is the answer???

I need to take a break from all OD's for a while, and cleanse with the acoustic!

I just seem to want to try every affordable, good sounding OD/distortion that may fit the styles of old fart music I play- gets obssesive (stangely, I really don't lust for an OCD!). Thankfully I don't hoard, I do seem to sell/trade off the ones that I end up not liking...

Would like to get the Goldbox up the road, but gotta watch the money- if I do more gigging then I can get one. Joe

fishlog
08-05-2010, 07:10 AM
The 250 is an instant hit, exactly what I was looking for! 70's-80's vintage hard over drive-distortion. Not as fizzy as the D+, more umph than an OD. Perfect! Oh and it was 44 bucks!

Bluedano1
08-05-2010, 07:13 AM
The 250 is an instant hit, exactly what I was looking for! 70's-80's vintage hard over drive-distortion. Not as fizzy as the D+, more umph than an OD. Perfect! Oh and it was 44 bucks!

I like your description! Are these still in production (I know the DOD did a reissue a while back) or did you buy used?

***just realized that you and I are the only 2 on this thread!

Telepatio
08-05-2010, 07:40 AM
I just got Gearmanndude's Timebomb Boost which is a clone of an old grey box DOD 250 and it is pretty righteous. I'm using it just to put a little drive in the tone from my Strat and Super Reverb. It add's some definition to the hi-end too which is nice. A very clear and open way to get some overdrive. Also works great just as a clean boost but I dial the gain up to about 9 o'clock.

s360guitarist
08-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Yep, you have to have the MXR D+ volume up pretty high to get unity gain...

Mine just might be for sale in the emporium...maybe that is...

Steve Mavronis
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
What does GMD sell his for and how does it look inside? I'm thinking about building a few more of my own 250 clone (1979-1980 gray spec) for $75 does that sound fair for a custom build like this with my own PCB layout and design? I can only afford to order sets of parts to make around 2 or so at a time:
http://home.comcast.net/~snmavronis/neoclassic741done.jpg
I also do these in black satin powder coat finish with the same etched aluminum panel artwork of mine on top. My PCB is reverse engineered from studying how the gray 250 parts on the board connect to each other in particular order in their circuit trace routing from input to output. They are built solid with board mounted pots and sound great using the gray 250 part values with more midrange and less noise than my DOD YJM308 Overdrive has.
http://home.comcast.net/~snmavronis/neoclassic741finished.jpg

Bluedano1
08-05-2010, 09:03 AM
I just got Gearmanndude's Timebomb Boost which is a clone of an old grey box DOD 250 and it is pretty righteous. I'm using it just to put a little drive in the tone from my Strat and Super Reverb. It add's some definition to the hi-end too which is nice. A very clear and open way to get some overdrive. Also works great just as a clean boost but I dial the gain up to about 9 o'clock.

Funny how I (probably a lot of us ) have OD's that fit the same description as above (as well as Fender amps) but yet they all have their own tone and their own distortion/OD finger print. I have owned MXR D+'s before but never tried the DOD 250 (or its clones...) and it sounds like something I'd like to try some day

How much is GMD's clone? (I could go online, but I'm lazy!)

Bluedano1
08-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Any chance of someone doing a demo (audio or video) sometime of either the real deal DOD 250 or one of these cool clones thru a cleanish Fender amp (or just the clean channel of any amp) just to get a general take on its sound? try various volume/Gain levels.... that Neo-Classic is just beautiful!

Steve Mavronis
08-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Any chance of someone doing a demo (audio or video) sometime of either the real deal DOD 250 or one of these cool clones thru a cleanish Fender amp (or just the clean channel of any amp) just to get a general take on its sound? try various volume/Gain levels.... that Neo-Classic is just beautiful!

Thanks! Here is the aluminum box (the first one I built) being play tested for the first time on a Fender amp. The audio quality not that great due to my digital camera only a few feet from the loud amp but its little mic held up pretty well:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CSvmKHfDew&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CSvmKHfDew&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The actual amp details and guitar used are on my Youtube page.

Here is an audio clip (Track 7) of it being used on the new Dio tribute album I posted about in this TGP thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=756373

fishlog
08-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I got mine NOS I think, but it was brand new still sealed in a bag for $44 bucks including shipping. What a steal. I am so done paying $100's of dollars for pedals that just don't sound THAT much better.

There are some great clips of Gearmandude doing demo's of all the various DOD 250 incarnations. I listened to them quiet a bit, the gray 250 does seem to kick some but, clones are close, and I could not find a clip of the Yellow RI 250.

I was really looking for a clip to as I also play Fender/Fender and all the clips seem to use Marshalls or Gibson's.

By the way that clone looks really cool

Bluedano1
08-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks! Here is the aluminum box (the first one I built) being play tested for the first time on a Fender amp. The audio quality not that great due to my digital camera only a few feet from the loud amp but its little mic held up pretty well:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CSvmKHfDew&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CSvmKHfDew&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The actual amp details and guitar used are on my Youtube page.

Here is an audio clip (Track 7) of it being used on the new Dio tribute album I posted about in this TGP thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=756373

thanks, will give a listen....Joe

s360guitarist
09-04-2010, 04:04 PM
FYI - The DOD YJM 250 re-issue thingy is going for 30 bucks now at zzounds.

Steve Mavronis
09-04-2010, 04:40 PM
FYI - The DOD YJM 250 re-issue thingy is going for 30 bucks now at zzounds.

Go grab one and you can mod it to gray 250 specs rather easily.