PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU do about latenight doorbell ring & run?

sausagefingers
08-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Over the last few months, we've had kids (I assume) ringing the bell and running off. It started in May, usually around 9:00 or 9:30. Early on I would jump up, open the door and run out, and never really saw anyone. One time I gave the loud 'come on out and show how tough you are, you pu***'. Which in hindsight, probably incited them to see what they could get away with.

Gradually, it got later and later. We stopped responding, just staying in bed. Last night it was twice at 11:30, then midnight. This morning there was graffiti on the porch and driveway (chalk, washed off with the hose) that said the F-word, and a couple great penis drawings. They also threw Domino's hotwing sauce all over the garage door.

Now what? I let the HOA know, and sent pics of the graffiti. Wife's out of town tonight...so I'm tempted to hide out and grab 'em tonight. What do you think? :Devil

LHanson
08-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Call the cops.

agradywills
08-07-2010, 09:54 AM
latenate? I'll google it.

eberg15101
08-07-2010, 09:57 AM
you could rig your doorbell to give them a little shock or put ink on their fingers or something.. have fun with them.. they are dumb kids.. scare the hell out of them, mess with them, do whatever.. plus your wife's out of town which means you won't get in trouble for tormenting some teenagers :D

Jerry Shaw
08-07-2010, 09:58 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Looker-Motion-Detection-Nightvision-Recording/dp/B00268TKLE

...or similar

edit: Doorbell ringing is a childish prank...I may have done it once or twice myself:) The other stuff is vandalism, that's a whole 'nother ballgame. Stop it now before it escalates. I would definatly (how in hell do you spell that? I'm tired of trying) get the police involved.

recto-robbie
08-07-2010, 09:58 AM
hide across the street, neighbors house or parked car or something.
Then pounce when they least suspect it. Have cell phone on you just in case.

Oh and if they are smart at all, they wont be back tonight.

Darkburst
08-07-2010, 09:59 AM
When kids do that they want you to open the door all pissed off. While you're yelling they're in the bushes somewhere laughing at you. It only encourages them. The best thing to do is ignore them so they don't get the satisfaction of pissing you off.

If you can't control yourself and want revenge, consider hiding out on your property with the garden hose ready to go. Pelting them with eggs could be fun too. Of course this could simply further escalate the hijinks.

Polynitro
08-07-2010, 10:01 AM
you made yourself a target by reacting the way you did initially. We used to do this to people and we knew certain houses were better than others. One guy used to chase us all the way down the street-it was awesome.

Nielsnielsniels
08-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Get one of these Hannibal masks :

http://www.partydomain.co.uk/images/P/19601.jpg

Dress up in this :

http://lasp.colorado.edu/images/engineering/tech_cap/clean-room-suit.jpg

Bottle of fake blood :

http://www.spirithalloween.com/images/spirit/products/processed/00576488.zoom.a.jpg

Apply above to suit. Find a large kitchen knife, apply blood to knife. Hide in the bushes and crawl to them while making a faint moaning noise and some random psychopath lines. That should scare them off. Or they'll just stand there and laugh.

coldfingaz
08-07-2010, 10:05 AM
You must have some idea who it is, right? It's got to be teens in the neighborhood. They'll be back in school before too long, but if it continues I'd call the cops & have them try to catch them in the act. As other former prankster delinquents like myself have already attested to, your reaction only fuels the fire.

Polynitro
08-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Get one of these Hannibal masks :

http://www.partydomain.co.uk/images/P/19601.jpg

Dress up in this :

http://lasp.colorado.edu/images/engineering/tech_cap/clean-room-suit.jpg

Bottle of fake blood :

http://www.spirithalloween.com/images/spirit/products/processed/00576488.zoom.a.jpg

Apply above to suit. Find a large kitchen knife, apply blood to knife. Hide in the bushes and crawl to them while making a faint moaning noise and some random psychopath lines. That should scare them off. Or they'll just stand there and laugh.

that would be great if a cop just happened by and saw a grown ass man chasing kids around like that! Youd have alot of 'splainin to do.

When we were little we used to get the icecream man to stop and then wed just run away. One time he chased us and caught us, he didnt do anythng but yell but he was visably shaken he was so upset, he kept saying , "why? Why? do you do this" "I dunno, cuz we're bored."

RRfireblade
08-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Set up a camera , you can pick up a security camera as a completely package now. IR , see at night , from anywhere like a Sams Club or whatever and not expensive.

Then you have proof and faces to take to the cops , you might even know who they are then it can get real interesting.

dmacintyre
08-07-2010, 10:14 AM
That happened to us back in MD. Late Saturday nights we were getting the same treatment but it was like they were kicking the door in. It was very scary until we found out it was kids.

One night I waited with the lights off and watched from the window and opened the door just as the little ****ers were about to do it again. I got a good look at one of them and shouted that now I knew what he looked like I'd be coming for him. Then, figuring it was local kids, I wrote an email 2 minutes later to the entire neighborhood association describing them and noting that I would treat future incidents like attempted home invasion, i.e. first call the police and use whatever legal means I had available in my gun cabinet to defend my family whilst waiting for the police to arrive. Never happened again.

Ed Reed
08-07-2010, 10:15 AM
*movie, Dennis the Menace* tape a thumb tack on the doorbell button upside down.

scottlr
08-07-2010, 10:19 AM
*movie, Dennis the Menace* tape a thumb tack on the doorbell button upside down.

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Rattles
08-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Just shoot 'em and ask questions later!

j/k of course!

newking70
08-07-2010, 10:25 AM
hook a car battery up to a doorbell ringer...

Matt Jones
08-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I would install a camera and motion detected security light. A lot of the consumer security cameras are not very good at capturing images in low light.

Check with your neighbors to see if they're getting the same treatment. An occasional doorbell ditch is just a prank but continuing to do it and then the graffiti thing is wrong. The police should document the graffiti.

FeloniousBishop
08-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Don't engage them; remove batteries form doorbell ringer after 9 pm; set up cameras attached to computer, action triggered record.

puckhead
08-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Just shoot 'em and ask questions later!

j/k of course!

just like crows. If you leave one of 'em dead in the yard, the rest won't come around :boxer

circusinthesky
08-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Yep. Night vision camera. Maybe put another one somewhere other than the porch area too. And, most important, press charges to the fullest extent of the law. Make the parents pay through the nose.

TwoTubMan
08-07-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.chrisabraham.com/claymore-thumb.jpg

Glowing Tubes
08-07-2010, 11:01 AM
If you wouldnt have shown much of a response, or even not open the door (provided you can look out through the peep hole and notice nobody is there), they would get bored and move on. The more you react, the more of a target you become...
just sayin...

rhinocaster
08-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Here's what I did.

I disconnected my doorbell. I hate doorbells. A knock on the door doesn't startle me or send my dog off on a wild barking spree like a big DING DONG does.

The only people that ever used the door bell we're people trying to sell something or kids playing ding dong door ditch in the middle of the night.

No bell=no problems. :)

Blix
08-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Scaring the crap out of them in some way would be the way to do it, don't let them have all the fun! :)

A claymore is slightly overkill :D

Jetrow
08-07-2010, 11:07 AM
First you simply set the camera to record the front of the house so you can identify the kids doing this. It's important so make sure you get a good recording of them in the act. Then during the day you find them, coming home from school, or going to is a good time to spot them. Be cool and follow them home. Leave plenty of space between your car and don't make it obvious. Once you know where they live, put printed pictures of their houses around the door bell. Should it happen again, head on over to their house to have a frank talk with the parent about where the kids are and what they are up to. Feel free to show them the video. If they are cooperative, that should be the end of it. If they are combative, the parents are then on notice about their kids behaviour and can likely be held accountable for the actions of their children.

dk123123dk
08-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Superglue on the doorbell?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOCK-trick-fake-DOOR-BELL-gag-joke-novelty-pranks-toy-/220649415831

Doug's Tubes
08-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Camera, hard drive recorder, you tube!

Cornbread
08-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Put a note on the door that says

"Welcome back, you are being video taped right now. This video will be given to Detective Miller first thing in the morning. Sleep tight. "

or

I would just open the door and let my dogs go after them. Ever been chased by a dog? I doubt they'd ever come back.

mike walker
08-07-2010, 11:16 AM
have the ringer set on 'Freebird' and do air guitar in the window.

darkstar11
08-07-2010, 11:25 AM
have the ringer set on 'Freebird' and do air guitar in the window.

Yep... Or have your Marshall Stack turned on and volume set to 11.

When they ring the bell .. unleash a power chord. Then Watch them wet themselves...

gainiac
08-07-2010, 11:26 AM
"

or

I would just open the door and let my dogs go after them. Ever been chased by a dog? I doubt they'd ever come back.

LMAO!

That'll do it.

Motion activated exterior lights work well too. Ring and run is not a big deal but the graffiti/vandalism is uncalled for...

darkstar11
08-07-2010, 11:28 AM
LMAO!

That'll do it.

Motion activated exterior lights work well too. Ring and run is not a big deal but the graffiti/vandalism is uncalled for...

Ya seriously.. I would rig some flood lights on motion sensor. They are very cheap and easy to setup.

pickaguitar
08-07-2010, 11:40 AM
disconnect your doorbell for a few days....no ring no fun I bet

Big White Tele
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Sit on the porch with a shotgun. Actually, I like the security camera idea. Ive been thinking of getting a setup for myself.

mike walker
08-07-2010, 11:55 AM
have the ringer set to Psycho violin and run at them from the side of the house dressed as an old lady with your wig falling off a little and the porch light swinging, putting you in shadow and light by turns.

coreybox
08-07-2010, 12:22 PM
so I'm tempted to hide out and grab 'em tonight. What do you think? :Devil

I'd do this... but I wouldn't grab 'em!! Get a camera and take some pictures.... Then send some to the HOA and police.

fatcontroller
08-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I know it would end poorly, but an air rifle to the ass from the bushes on the other side of the street is fun to think about. Or paint ball gun.

russiancrowe
08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I send my flying monkeys after them.

puckhead
08-07-2010, 12:48 PM
btw, was I the only kid who called this "knocky knocky nine-door"
or maybe it was "nicky nick nine-door"

jmontgomery
08-07-2010, 01:52 PM
I like the paintball gun idea. You might as well have some fun with them.
You would probably get your house painted tho.

johann
08-07-2010, 02:19 PM
AAAHHH the old-times...I did that...a lot of times hehehe

until I got caught, it was a large man, very serious, with a Leonard Cohen kinda voice.

He took me from my shirt, and dragged me homa to my parents, on the way he was telling me he was going to ask my parents if he can spank me very hard, and that I was going to have to wash his car, and do his house windows, so he wouldn't call the cops...I was 10, so that was very scary (LOL)

He took me home, grabbing me from my shirt, my dad opened the door, the guy explained it all...we had been knocking his door for about 2 weeks..daily (LOL)

He knew who we were...about 5 kids.

My dad sent me to my room, telling me to get ready to wash this guy's car next morning.

Well...it happens that the guy knew who we were, and had talked to my parents days before. So they put this farse...in fact, they were drinking some beers that night, while i was crying in my bed, and peeing in my pijamas. (I found that later, my dad told me some years later)

You can check who they are, and get to they parents.

BTW, that was the last time I made that kind of jokes

Darkburst
08-07-2010, 02:36 PM
btw, was I the only kid who called this "knocky knocky nine-door"
or maybe it was "nicky nick nine-door"

We called it "ding-dong ditch".

coldfingaz
08-07-2010, 03:01 PM
We called it "ding-dong ditch".

"Ring 'n' Run"

SL_22
08-07-2010, 03:38 PM
If you find out who they are and are able to notify their parents, they'll likely only tell Little Johnny not to do it again. Why are their parents even allowing them out that late?
I like the upside down thumb tack suggestion and lighting their butts up with an air rifle. The graffitti and wing sauce is over the line. That's your property they're vandalizing. It will get worse if they aren't taught a lesson.

zekmoe
08-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Ring and run is just annoying kids. Defacing your property, chalk or not, is something else. Call the cops about that as they'll likely do nothing about the occasional ring and run.

banjoze
08-07-2010, 03:57 PM
camcorder
send the video to then parents first.
if it doesn't stop, then cops.

Tom CT
08-07-2010, 03:59 PM
You guys can't be serious about firing a weapon at them, are you? Both paintballs and BBs can easily blind someone if a shot goes astray. I suspect that you would not fair well in a court of law.

sausagefingers
08-07-2010, 04:00 PM
You guys can't be serious about firing a weapon at them, are you? Both paintballs and BBs can easily blind someone is a shot goes astray. I suspect that you would not fair well in court - and rightly so.

Agreed. I am not considering that.

Meriphew
08-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Pitbull on a long leash on the doorstep?

fatcontroller
08-07-2010, 04:53 PM
You guys can't be serious about firing a weapon at them, are you? Both paintballs and BBs can easily blind someone if a shot goes astray. I suspect that you would not fair well in a court of law.

Please note the qualifiers in my post:

"I know it would end poorly, but an air rifle to the ass from the bushes on the other side of the street is fun to think about. Or paint ball gun."

Besides, it goes without saying that if you aim for an ass and hit an eye, you have no business with a bb gun anyway.:bonk

And actually, laying a hand on a minor is considered assault here, whether provoked or not. Guy who worked for me was chasing a kid who had broken into his car down the street when stopped by the police. They asked what was going on, were told, and then asked the kid if my employee had touched him. Because the answer was "no", my employee didn't get booked. The cop made it clear that he would have been in deep sneakers had he laid a finger on the kid.

But for the sake of argument, you're the kid who has been vandalizing someone's property and you get an ass-stinger from a bb gun while in the act, do you run to mommy/daddy/the po-po to bitch and moan, or do you suck it up with the tacit understanding that you got what was coming?

aeonlux
08-07-2010, 04:54 PM
I once lived in a three-flat in the garden apartment, and one day, four young ruffians came into the entry foyer where the mailboxes and access to the stairs were.

They had with them two dozen eggs and a cup of dog feces, which they proceeded to break and smear all over the foyer.

I exited out the back door of the three-flat, ran to the front, and surprised the living piss out of them. I then let them know that I would do nothing to them other than hold the front door closed so they could not escape, during which time I would call the police, or if they wished, I would call their parents for them.

They told me to call the cops, so I did. They were taken away in the squad, after a hearty thanks from the officer.

The kids came back the next day with their parents and cleaning supplies in tow, and under direction, made that foyer sparkling clean.

Later that week, I did see one of the kids in the neighborhood, and his face was severely black and blue. Having been beaten as a child, I half-regretted having made that call.

Later that summer the same group of four burned down a 3-car garage that had a furnished atticspace. Fortunately, the person who lived in the apartment above was not home at the time.

Miscreants turned to arsonists. :hide2

I don't know what happened to them, but I know one of the families moved away.

cheers,
Ian

It's Time!
08-07-2010, 04:56 PM
You should put a bag of dog $h!t on their door step and light it on fire ;)

GA20T
08-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Take a trip down to your local SPCA.
Bring home dead German Shepard (already disposed of).
After dark, hang dead animal in doorway with a sign that reads: YOU.
Get naked. Slop red lipstick on. Put on some coke-bottle glasses. Lie in wait in bushes until punks appear.
Start giggling and snorting to yourself like a maniac and give the trigger of your favourite cordless drill, reciprocating saw, syringe a few squeezes, or even a few shakes of your favourite gas can whilst holding a match in the other hand.
See what unfolds.

Or you could rent a really good bear costume and strap on a huge dil*o and watch them run when they find you quietly standing behind them in the dark.

circusinthesky
08-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Take a trip down to your local SPCA.
Bring home dead German Shepard (already disposed of).
After dark, hang dead animal in doorway with a sign that reads: YOU.
Get naked. Slop red lipstick on. Put on some coke-bottle glasses. Lie in wait in bushes until punks appear.
Start giggling and snorting to yourself like a maniac and give the trigger of your favourite cordless drill or reciprocating saw/syringe a few squeezes.

Is this advice related to the topic at hand, or is this just your idea of a nice Saturday? :crazyguy

Meriphew
08-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Or you could rent a really good bear costume and strap on a huge dil*o and watch them run when they find you quietly standing behind them in the dark.

Ha! Classic!

Sandy
08-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Over the last few months, we've had kids (I assume) ringing the bell and running off. It started in May, usually around 9:00 or 9:30. Early on I would jump up, open the door and run out, and never really saw anyone. One time I gave the loud 'come on out and show how tough you are, you pu***'. Which in hindsight, probably incited them to see what they could get away with.

Gradually, it got later and later. We stopped responding, just staying in bed. Last night it was twice at 11:30, then midnight. This morning there was graffiti on the porch and driveway (chalk, washed off with the hose) that said the F-word, and a couple great penis drawings. They also threw Domino's hotwing sauce all over the garage door.

Now what? I let the HOA know, and sent pics of the graffiti. Wife's out of town tonight...so I'm tempted to hide out and grab 'em tonight. What do you think? :Devil

IIRC you're here in SPK, right? This happened to me all the time when I lived in Shipleys Choice. It's just kids, and most likely middle schoolers. By the time they are in high school they're too busy drinking and getting high to do this kinda stuff. I'm across from the high school and haven't had any problems, but I've heard about a rash of break-ins again all around the "Park".

sausagefingers
08-07-2010, 06:18 PM
IIRC you're here in SPK, right? This happened to me all the time when I lived in Shipleys Choice. It's just kids, and most likely middle schoolers. By the time they are in high school they're too busy drinking and getting high to do this kinda stuff. I'm across from the high school and haven't had any problems, but I've heard about a rash of break-ins again all around the "Park".

Hey Sandy, good memory--I grew up in SP but I'm a bit further West now.

You're right, about the kids tho. I just want to nip it in the bud....

tinman475
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
A battery charger and some creative wiring and you will have your culprit.. ;)

TheGuildedAge
08-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I feel your frustration. I'm a grown man, a father, I should be beyond this. But tonight while riding my bike up a hill in our development, a couple of kids, no more than 11 years old were taunting me. I wanted so badly to go back and just beat the hell out of both of them.

Sandy
08-07-2010, 06:45 PM
It can get alot worse than just ringing door bells. These two fellas, one of whom I know both he and his parents, are facing some potentially significant charges for throwing really large rocks at people while out joy-riding. These are two kids from great families, but are real knuckle-heads. I have mixed feelings as to whether they should be charged as adults, but again its that sense of entitlement that elite athletes are granted, especially in the lacrosse world.

From our local paper in Annapolis:

A defense attorney representing one of two high school lacrosse players charged with pelting at least five pedestrians with rocks from a moving car charged yesterday that State's Attorney Frank Weathersbee's decision to take the case before a county grand jury was "politically motivated."

Peter O'Neill said he saw no other reason for Weathersbee - a 22- year incumbent in the midst of his sixth bid for re-election - to reverse course and seek adult felony charges against Wade Korvin, 17, of Odenton, and Wesley Stryker, 17, of Millersville.

He noted that a veteran prosecutor in Weathersbee's office reviewed the case last month and agreed the best course of action was to drop the felony charges and transfer the cases to juvenile court.

He also pointed out that the office's spokeswoman repeatedly defended that decision to The Capital over the past four weeks, saying prosecutors did not believe they could prove the teens intended to cause "serious bodily injury" to the victims.

"It certainly has all the appearances of a politically motivated decision," said O'Neill, who is Korvin's attorney.

Korvin and Stryker were indicted Friday on five counts of first- degree assault and several related charges. They were charged via criminal summons, meaning they were not immediately arrested.

Weathersbee yesterday disputed any suggestion that his decision - which increased the maximum possible punishment for each of the teens from about four years in a juvenile detention facility to 25 years in a state prison - was based on anything but the facts of the case.

He argued that "new information" about the size of the rocks involved in the June 17 attacks in Severna Park and Millersville warranted the felony charges.

"When new information comes to light, my office must move forward accordingly. This decision was and is based on the facts alone in this case," Weathersbee said in a statement.

"It would have been politically motivated not to take this case to the grand jury and keep it out of another media cycle," said Kristin Fleckenstein, a spokeswoman for the State's Attorney Office.

RichSZ
08-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Shoot them or if you are against guns then I highly recommend this:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_hfLZozBVpM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_hfLZozBVpM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

You could probably slice through at least two of 'em in one swing...

bluesjuke
08-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Don't stomp on the burning paper bag- there's a surprise in it.

VCuomo
08-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Set up a camera , you can pick up a security camera as a completely package now. IR , see at night , from anywhere like a Sams Club or whatever and not expensive.

Then you have proof and faces to take to the cops , you might even know who they are then it can get real interesting.:agree

big jilm
08-07-2010, 08:03 PM
The bear costume with the huge strap on idea made me laugh so hard I nearly sh!t my pants!

banjoze
08-11-2010, 03:46 AM
so, what did you do?

sausagefingers
08-11-2010, 04:17 AM
I bought a motion detector light. They have not been back.

DamianP
08-11-2010, 04:33 AM
One of those big water pistol things, full of piss.

Machete.

Invite them in for pop and sodomy.

Suicide.

The Golden Boy
08-11-2010, 05:43 AM
http://www.chrisabraham.com/claymore-thumb.jpg

Exactly my recommendation.

amigo30
08-11-2010, 06:01 AM
Don't you guys read The Gear Page? The perfect answer was posted a couple of days ago on another thread.

Booby-Trap up some ketchup balloons.

Gitarman
08-11-2010, 06:57 AM
First, let me say that pelting them with a BB/ paintball gun is probably a BAD idea. However, many many moons ago, I was out with some high school friends creating mischief (TP-ing other friends houses :D) when someone lit one of us up with a BB/ pellet gun & we certainly RAN LIKE HELL.

The best part? Imagine a 6+ foot tall kid wearing a day-glo orange afro wig & carrying a basketball running at you at top speed screaming that someone had just shot him! :rotflmao

Recently, I had a neighbor come by at around 10:30PM and tell me that she saw some kids up around my porch while their friends waited at the curb. I found out the next day that they had stolen some of those cheap solar-powered garden lights (worth about a whopping $2 each). I just went ahead and bought a set of wired lights and moved the solar ones to the back yard :dunno

P.S. If I were the OP, I'd probably try to find out who the kids were (video camera, meybe?) and then bring up their behavior to the attention of their parents/ authorities.