PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Earl content here.

DEMENTED
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Holy Schnikes! What amp is Ronnie using here? The video quality is horrible but you can still hear how stellar his tone is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a3-_gbg7Ho

gstan
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
99.9% probability of Blackface Super Reverb

mad dog
08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
He used to use two BFSRs together. Not sure about now.

MD

Trowerfan
08-10-2010, 11:58 AM
You can see what looks like it might be his amp at 5 min, 6:07 and the very end. Looks to be shorter then a Super, it's hard to tell though. Maybe a Twin? I know Ronnie loves SR's though, he called a strat and SR "a match made in heaven". He has the best sounding strat tones I've ever heard (and amazing talent to go with it). Notice how he picks near the bridge. Love that sound!

Trowerfan
08-10-2010, 11:59 AM
He used to use two BFSRs together. Not sure about now.

MD

That's what he was using when I saw him.

buddyboy
08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
15-17 years ago I saw him at a place called "Chicago Blues" in NYC. Got there at 4:00 and his rig was set up on the 1' stage. It was a BF Twin with 2 D-120's. Walked right up to the amp and took a look in the back. Bright switch was on too.

bluesmain
08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Killer player! No problem hearing Ronnie Earl in any mix fo sho ;)

cuttyshark
08-10-2010, 09:48 PM
looks like a twin.

Goofball
08-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Ronnie Earl just drips tone from his fingers!

Years ago, an old friend of mine turned me on to Ronnie and man, am I glad he did. One of my favorite guitar players!

John Barber
08-10-2010, 11:21 PM
A good friend and mentor Robbie Laws who has played with Ronnie several times, said he's been using a BFTR for a long time now, and he's one of the really great guitar player that have not gotten their rightfull spot in the music business, or well deserved kudos. This Cat can play Jazz or Blues with so much soul.
He's, as far as I know the only guy that SRV didn't want to go up against in a guitar slinging shoot out in Texas.

soldersucker
08-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Love Ronnie to death! That video is a Twin but his favourite amp for the last long while is a Super reverb.A youtuber that filmed some shows sent me his settings-Super Man!
Thought you might like to see Ronnies Super Reverb settings the other night:

Main amp:
Treble 8
Mid 6.5
Bass 4
Reverb 5

Backup amp used second half of show:
Treble 9.5
Mid 10
Bass 5.5
Reverb 8

daddyo
08-11-2010, 08:14 AM
I much prefer Ronnie's tone and playing to some other players that get more "press" here.:dude

Dumb Bell
08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I much prefer Ronnie's tone and playing to some other players that get more "press" here.:dude
Couldn't agree more. I supplied some amps to a bluesfest here years ago, Ronnie used a blackface twin and super together. I think he adjusts everything strictly by ear, is not a distorto junkie like so many guys. What a sound he got that night. He was using what looked like a 50's refin maple neck strat. Loud and pure.

barbarossa
08-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Oh, man...

A young Ronnie Earl on fire, cigarette smoking, pre-rehab, pre-spiritual. No hint of Coltranesque Santanaism yet. :rotflmao

I used to love him back then. I miss that period in music...

frank62
08-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Great player and great tone. I just watched an instruction video of his and it is full of him making very annoying smaking noises with his mouth. WTF?

jimfog
08-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Great player and great tone. I just watched an instruction video of his and it is full of him making very annoying smaking noises with his mouth. WTF?

He was sick as a dog when he made that video, with a serious fever. You can see how pale he is, as well.

It's still super-inspiring with some lessons that lots of players could stand to learn.

Jeff Michael
08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Ronnie Earl is my favorite guitarist in the world. I had the sheer good dumb luck to catch him live at Godfrey Daniels in Bethlehem PA in about '88. Changed my life. I made it a point to never miss him thereafter.

At GD's he always had a BFTR.

JAM

Ryguy
08-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Ronnie Earl is my favorite guitarist in the world. I had the sheer good dumb luck to catch him live at Godfrey Daniels in Bethlehem PA in about '88. Changed my life. I made it a point to never miss him thereafter.

At GD's he always had a BFTR.

JAM

No doubt, I got to see most of the great blues guitarists that were alive and gigging in the late 80's/early 90's, including all the kings, Albert Collins, SRV many times, but I don't remember ever being quite so blown away buy anything guitar related as seeing Ronnie Earl do a slow blues, whisper to a SCREAM, epic solo at a blues fest in Mass., probably '89. The whole show was killer, (Danny Gatton played earlier), but the way he ripped through that tune, the amazing dynamics and simple yet astounding tonal variations he got with his guitar, just had a tremendous impact on me. I never bonded as much with his later forays into quasi-organ jazz, but playing straight ahead blues when he was at the top of his game....he was a bad mofo.

frank62
08-12-2010, 11:14 PM
He was sick as a dog when he made that video, with a serious fever. You can see how pale he is, as well.

It's still super-inspiring with some lessons that lots of players could stand to learn.
Man, I bought the video because I think he is great and wanted to learn something. Thanks for clearing that up.

sanhozay
08-12-2010, 11:20 PM
An inspiring musician, to say the very least.

Tom Gross
08-13-2010, 06:29 AM

He had the flu the day they taped that, was running a bad fever.

<edit: didn't see the above post>

Troy T. Blues
08-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Ronnie Earl has always been of my favorites. I've only saw him live once in a small club and I was right up close to the stage. He was playing a Red 60's Strat through the Super Reverb which was behind him, off to the side and tilted back. Killer chops, more soul than anything and tone to the bone! I was loving every minute of it! :)

gtTelejoe
08-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Holy Schnikes! What amp is Ronnie using here? The video quality is horrible but you can still hear how stellar his tone is.

Good grief! What a great player! First time seeing and hearing. Not my kind of music but his playing kept me till the end. Thanx for posting it.

ReddRanger
08-13-2010, 08:52 AM

He had the flu the day they taped that, was running a bad fever.

<edit: didn't see the above post>
I had never heard that he was sick, but did suspect it from watching the video.

Now that it's confirmed for me, I have even MORE respect for the guy. I couldn't play that well ever on my very best day. Ronnie's video is full of super cool stuff.

gstan
08-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Good grief! What a great player! First time seeing and hearing. Not my kind of music but his playing kept me till the end. Thanx for posting it.
Well, if it's not your kind of music now, then, you sir, are worse than Hitler! Harumph!

He always gets that tone and has that touch that makes me think my pedals are an abomination. I hear all the other great players and think this or that was great or amazing, but when I listen to RE it's different. There's purity in the tone and phrasing. If I could make a wish and be able to have the skill and heart to play like anyone, to duplicate what any other player has done, to have their chops in my hands, it would be Ronnie Earl.

Goofball
08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Ronnie Earl = soul

Everybody is just pretending.:D

Redrum
08-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Ronnie Earl has been so influential to me. He's magic. Never heard anyone play, and arrange music the way RE does.

A bass player friend of mine and I hacked together a few ER covers we love to play in our unique, mutated way. "Ice Cream Man", "Welcome Home", "Bonnie's Theme" and "Time to Remember" never fail to bring smiles to our faces and they have such a cool swing feel to them.

When I feel the need to reboot my guitar-playing brain (and attitude), I just listen to Ronnie Earl CD's. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

monstermike
08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Two things:

1. That's just the way he sounds. Ronnie, myself, and another friend were walking around Cambridge a few years ago and stopped in a little music shop. We were all checking out some kind of cheap old archtop acoustic. It sounded pretty good when my friend Barrie played it, alright when I played it, and then Ronnie picked it up and played the classic T-Bone Walker descending 9th chord intro. Suddenly, the sound of that guitar filled the entire room, and there was depth and richness to it that hadn't been there before. If you can do THAT, then a cleanish Super or Twin with a nice Strat will ALWAYS sound like that.

2. His amps are set kind of loud. There are a lot of dynamics, but when he digs in, those amps are loud. Again, it's his touch and dynamics that keep it musical and sweet sounding. I've heard other people sit in on his gear - myself included, really - and his amp settings can be kind of harsh and obnoxious in other people's hands.

He might be my favorite guitar player.

Jeff Michael
08-13-2010, 11:27 AM

You know what I like about that video? How when Darrell comes in Ronnie kicks his strat up into the classic T-Bone position. I'd think that would be harder to do with a strat than with a big thick old archtop!

JAM

Jeff Michael
08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
No doubt, I got to see most of the great blues guitarists that were alive and gigging in the late 80's/early 90's, including all the kings, Albert Collins, SRV many times, but I don't remember ever being quite so blown away buy anything guitar related as seeing Ronnie Earl do a slow blues, whisper to a SCREAM, epic solo at a blues fest in Mass., probably '89. The whole show was killer, (Danny Gatton played earlier), but the way he ripped through that tune, the amazing dynamics and simple yet astounding tonal variations he got with his guitar, just had a tremendous impact on me. I never bonded as much with his later forays into quasi-organ jazz, but playing straight ahead blues when he was at the top of his game....he was a bad mofo.

I remember that too. At Godfrey's (small little "listening room" that is is) he'd walk through the crowd with his volume rolled so far off that you were pretty much just hearing the man and the guitar: pick, strings, plank, and soul.

Like I said: life-changing.

JAM

peanutavalon
08-17-2010, 06:17 PM

I agree. He's a not so well known blues great. I grew up listening to him with my dad. All great memories. Love Ronnie Earl!

JefeMaximo
08-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Good to see you here, Monster Mike.

Ronnie's new album is now out. Please check it out and support Ronnie and the blues.

sanhozay
08-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Beyond Ronnie's great hands; What makes him stand out isn't really his tone, because honestly, sometimes he's too loud, but rather his musical ideas that come so quickly. His mind just follows a muse and the feel of the music and ALWAYS plays something fantastic. He plays T-Bone sometimes note for note but then out of nowhere comes a new idea, then another one, then another one, then another one! If you meet him he speaks with clarity, original thought, great humor and incredible passion - exactly the way he plays. I know musicians work on their chops and listen to records for inspirations but to meet a person like Ronnie leaves a profound impact on how one views their musical vocabulary and {gulp} themselves.

On that note, I think he's the like the Cy Young pitcher that moves to the outfield and wins the triple crown. But also can adjust to shortstop or pinch run to get into scoring position. Purchase & listen to Jimmy Rogers with Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters LIVE! for the complete explanation.

Gas-man
08-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Killer tone and playing!

But keep in mind a guy like Ronnie can play at volumes most of us would be fired from the gig for.

A Super cranked to the point of getting Ronnie's tone is excruiatingly loud. Say nothing of a Twin.

Dudes forget this.

JefeMaximo
08-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Killer tone and playing!

But keep in mind a guy like Ronnie can play at volumes most of us would be fired from the gig for.

A Super cranked to the point of getting Ronnie's tone is excruiatingly loud. Say nothing of a Twin.

Dudes forget this.

Yes and no. I agree that you typically need to crank a Super to get the best tone. At the same time, however, I've seen Ronnie twice this year. The second show was a small venue and I was right up front near his amps. Loud? Sure, but no more so than what I typically hear in local clubs. I'm not sure how he does this.

Tomo was at that same show and might have comments.

Tomo
09-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Love Ronnie to death! That video is a Twin but his favourite amp for the last long while is a Super reverb.A youtuber that filmed some shows sent me his settings-Super Man!
Thought you might like to see Ronnies Super Reverb settings the other night:

Main amp:
Treble 8
Mid 6.5
Bass 4
Reverb 5

Backup amp used second half of show:
Treble 9.5
Mid 10
Bass 5.5
Reverb 8

Just saw Ronnie last night. He loves his Twin... too loud so he set up another Super Reverb with Eminence, biased cooler so keep it clean. Sounded great!

Tomo

Tomo
09-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Two things:

1. That's just the way he sounds. Ronnie, myself, and another friend were walking around Cambridge a few years ago and stopped in a little music shop. We were all checking out some kind of cheap old archtop acoustic. It sounded pretty good when my friend Barrie played it, alright when I played it, and then Ronnie picked it up and played the classic T-Bone Walker descending 9th chord intro. Suddenly, the sound of that guitar filled the entire room, and there was depth and richness to it that hadn't been there before. If you can do THAT, then a cleanish Super or Twin with a nice Strat will ALWAYS sound like that.

2. His amps are set kind of loud. There are a lot of dynamics, but when he digs in, those amps are loud. Again, it's his touch and dynamics that keep it musical and sweet sounding. I've heard other people sit in on his gear - myself included, really - and his amp settings can be kind of harsh and obnoxious in other people's hands.

He might be my favorite guitar player.

Great point Mike. If you give him any strat with single coil, set tube amp, brighter side. There is room to give dynamics. Most people set an amp too narrow or too warm, less dynamics. Did you go last night at Regent? Next gig is at Chans...

Tomo

JIMIFAN59
09-12-2010, 08:03 AM
I was at the Regent last night, great show-great tone. We try to get to all of his shows. Terrific performer and really pulls notes and phrases from his soul.

Very inspiring.....but makes you want to put away your guitar for few days after you see him!!

:hide2

Tomo
09-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Yes and no. I agree that you typically need to crank a Super to get the best tone. At the same time, however, I've seen Ronnie twice this year. The second show was a small venue and I was right up front near his amps. Loud? Sure, but no more so than what I typically hear in local clubs. I'm not sure how he does this.

Tomo was at that same show and might have comments.

What is your question? Not only amp or volume. How many guitar players can bring Ronnie's mental level, conviction on notes, tone, everything. How much can you belive on ONE NOTE to make music.. I can't find words to say this. Most people don't spend about one note or one bend note etc.

Tomo

hoochiecoochie
09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Tone Quest Report conducted an interview with Ronnie several years ago and Ronnie did provide the settings for his Super R. Very nice interview. Try a Google search for it. He also stated that he was not going to be using his old Strats anymore on the road since he found out how much they were worth. He did like the Relic series (of that time period, if memory serves me right) and was going to be using them for future gigs. He also stated that he used Supers and Twins in conjunction at times. Hey Fender, how about a Ronnie Earl model??? I am first in line for one.

FenderAmpFan
09-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Killer tone and playing!

Dudes forget this.

I disagree. A super is not excrutiatingly loud, nothing like a Twin. I saw Ronnie years ago in NYC when Mannys Car Wash was still opened. Small stage, small place and he was using a Twin and Super together. It was amazing.

hidesert
09-21-2010, 10:54 PM
This thread takes me back to the late 80's/early 90's in Southwest Michigan. While waiting to hear Ronnie Earl for the first time at a small club in Kalamazoo I ran into a local blues guitarist that I really liked and respected. Junior Valentine asked me if I knew Ronnie's sound and if I had ever seen him before, to which I replied that I did not.
"First note you're gonna get a boner" , Junior says. He was (virtually) right. What incredible dynamics, concentration, and intensity Ronnie put into each note he played!

I do remember he was using a Twin loaded with SROs.

BradKinder
09-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Great thread! I've been on another RE kick for months now....playing his records over and over. His playing & tone is so honest and pure... hits you right in the bones. Love the new album too.

Eltee120
11-21-2010, 07:45 PM
I took several photos on 11/20/10 of Ronnie's amps and settings. I have no clue how to post the pix here but I'll post the settings if anyone is interested.

DEMENTED
11-21-2010, 08:09 PM
I took several photos on 11/20/10 of Ronnie's amps and settings. I have no clue how to post the pix here but I'll post the settings if anyone is interested.

yes please!

FenderAmpFan
11-22-2010, 10:54 AM
I would love to see the pics. Thats a good question. How do you post your own pics here? Anyone?

DEMENTED
11-22-2010, 11:00 AM
I would love to see the pics. Thats a good question. How do you post your own pics here? Anyone?

Usa a hosting site like photobucket.com it's free and easy.

Eltee120
11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n541/Eltee120/Ronnie003.jpg

Eltee120
11-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Obviously I figured out how to post pix.http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n541/Eltee120/Ronnie004.jpg

Eltee120
11-22-2010, 07:32 PM
I also would like feedback on the photos. I couldn't get up on stage so this was the best I could do. Are they useful? Also does anyone know the particulars on Ronnie's gold Stratocaster. He played that one for most of the concert. BTW-not to sound like a gushing fan but he played at least a third of the show five feet from me. He didn't stay on the stage much and his wife was just to my right. I think he favored our side because of that. Also if you live in the Mass area he shows up from time to time at the Bull Run in Shirley. Also sits in most times with the onstage performer...last three months with Duke Robillard and Sue Foley!!!!!!

argylespots
11-22-2010, 07:49 PM
i wold like to take a ride over to northhampton, ma to see him this weekend

Eltee120
11-22-2010, 08:33 PM
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n541/Eltee120/Ronnie019.jpg

jcs
11-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Saw Ronnie with Roomful in the 80s playing a 60s Strat and BF Super Reverb, it was not too loud.

I played trumpet on a recording with Ed Shaughnessy (Tonight show) on drums in the early 70s in an auditorium, he was LOUD okay!!

Roomful were not that loud nor was Ronnie nor are Super Reverbs in general imo except in very live smaller rooms.

Ronnie has always been an exceptional player..

luv2playm
11-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Beyond Ronnie's great hands; What makes him stand out isn't really his tone, because honestly, sometimes he's too loud, but rather his musical ideas that come so quickly. His mind just follows a muse and the feel of the music and ALWAYS plays something fantastic. He plays T-Bone sometimes note for note but then out of nowhere comes a new idea, then another one, then another one, then another one! If you meet him he speaks with clarity, original thought, great humor and incredible passion - exactly the way he plays. I know musicians work on their chops and listen to records for inspirations but to meet a person like Ronnie leaves a profound impact on how one views their musical vocabulary and {gulp} themselves.

On that note, I think he's the like the Cy Young pitcher that moves to the outfield and wins the triple crown. But also can adjust to shortstop or pinch run to get into scoring position. Purchase & listen to Jimmy Rogers with Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters LIVE! for the complete explanation.

This is a very good and accurate description of Ronnie's playing, I think. Great player.

dougk
11-23-2010, 08:53 AM
side note: I love that little thing he does right around 4:35. Always loved Ronnie Earl, the Live in Europe album totally changed my guitar playing when I was around 16.