PDA

View Full Version : dumbleize my Fender Concert

fndrfreek5o
08-19-2010, 12:40 PM
i have one of those 80's fender concert's and i am wanting to have it modded to sound more like a dumble, especially the drive channel. Does anyone know anyone that can do this for fairly cheap or have the schematics of what need to be done to it. I would also like to turn input one into a JET input and add the bright deep and rock jazz switches thanks!

Joe Perry
08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
(Andy) Fuchs Amps has a great mod program. You just ship them the chassis and they put new boards and guts in there using the existing chassis and transformers.

dankayaker
08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
The cheap way is to get Zendrive. I love my Concert.

amc
08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
The cheap way is to get Zendrive. I love my Concert.

+1 on the zendrive

doc
08-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Search for the Fender Concert mods megathread I started several years ago for lots of pertinent info. I now personally think its preferable to just do a few mods to "tune up" the sound of the Concert rather than try to turn it into something else. If you want as close as possible to a Dumble with that amp, I agree that you should just send it to Andy Fuchs, but I think it makes more sense to just sell it and buy a Fuchs, Ceriatone, etc. Dumbley amp. The Concert is more natural to morph into an early Mesa Boogie clone than a Dumble, partly due to its being a steel chassis rather than aluminum. With a few simple mods a Concert is a great amp without forcing it to become something else.

dsmc80
08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
i have one of those 80's fender concert's and i am wanting to have it modded to sound more like a dumble, especially the drive channel. Does anyone know anyone that can do this for fairly cheap or have the schematics of what need to be done to it. I would also like to turn input one into a JET input and add the bright deep and rock jazz switches thanks!

A JET input? I bet that flies! ;)

I think you mean FET.

fndrfreek5o
08-19-2010, 01:12 PM
yeah that was a weird typo on the Jet input i did mean fet...i don't really want a zendrive cause i am looking for more of the way dumbles react than just the tone of the dumble, like the feel of it and the eg options and the string seperation. i also really like the sparkle, for lack of a better word, that dumbles that i have heard have as opposed to the almost muddiness mine has. i was hoping to just change out some of the capacitors and resistors than having to literally change everything

madstrat
08-19-2010, 01:44 PM
jfet

junction field effect transistor

or boba fett:bonk

digital jams
08-19-2010, 01:50 PM
All the knock-offs seem to use Vox speaker cloth on the fronts of the headshell, this may be something to further look into.

Fuchsaudio
08-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Well, then the "knockoffs" like to live dangerously: Vox sent a cease and desist letter to pretty much anyone using that cloth on a non-Vox product, citing a trademark infringement. Besides that, it's 4 or 5 times the cost of practically any other grill cloth out there. Compare standard Fender style at $ 25.00 per yard, to Vox at $ 90.00 on the MOjo website. While you can do it yourself, a manufacturer takes a substantial risk doing it on a product.

jay42
08-19-2010, 06:14 PM
i have one of those 80's fender concert's and i am wanting to have it modded to sound more like a dumble, especially the drive channel. Does anyone know anyone that can do this for fairly cheap or have the schematics of what need to be done to it. I would also like to turn input one into a JET input and add the bright deep and rock jazz switches thanks!Piece by piece:

I put my schematics up at The Amp Garage. Mine is what is might be called a 'high plate non-hrm with Fender reverb'. Fairly cheaply ? -- only a relative would do this for you. It's a lot of work due to the pig's-fest inside.

Results are dumble-like. You can't do better because the topology (lead-dress) is very important to the whole dumble thing. You're stuck with what you have. A couple of weeks ago, I was playing with a guy who had a Boogie MkV with a G-Force. I wasn't unhappy with my tone...tones.

JFet input: If you stick an AMZ Mosfet boost in front (available from Toneslut or BYOC as 1/3 of the TriBoost), you're 98% there, plus you can turn it on and off. David Lindley has to change inputs.

The switches could only be implemented sanely with pull switches.

If Andy still does modded amps, that's going to be as cheap as is reasonably possible to get all the features you want. He guts everything but the iron. The iron: I replaced the OT with an Allen unit for an improved clean channel cranked to 10. Played clean, it was fine, but cranked, there was some dissonance which shouldn't have been. The original iron should have been better.

jellewelagen
08-19-2010, 09:23 PM
+1!

Andy Fuchs is the way to go, IMHO.

Jelle

Deaj
08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Another nod for the Fuchs mod - outstanding amps!!

vbjamin
08-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Another nod for the Fuchs mod - outstanding amps!!
Try a 12au7 in V1, it rally made my drive smoother with later onset off unpleasant grain

Fuchsaudio
08-23-2010, 06:13 PM
And yes, we now do offer an FET input (done a little differently than others).