PDA

View Full Version : Care for Unfinished Maple Neck & Fretboard

HoboMan
08-19-2010, 06:00 PM
I have a Peavey HP Special that has an unfinished Maple Neck & Fretboard.

I ordered some Dunlop 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil to clean & treat the neck.
It came in today. I read the label and it says "Not for use on Maple Fretboards".

Just wondering what other people are using.

tone?
08-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Too easy

get birchwood caseys gunstock oil and put some of that on it then use birchwood Casey wax on it and you will freak at the results
the site shows you how to do it

if you want to clean the neck and board the use murphys oil soap before

Cheers!

HoboMan
08-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Too easy

get birchwood caseys gunstock oil and put some of that on it then use birchwood Casey wax on it and you will freak at the results
the site shows you how to do it

if you want to clean the neck and board the use murphys oil soap before

Cheers!

Do I also put it on the fretboard?
Should I remove the neck and tuners before I do it?

I did some research on it and Casey's gunstock oil seems to be very popular.

I spoke to a local Luthier on the phone and he recommended the same thing. Said he could do it for $20.
Sounds like a good deal or should I just do it myself?

Thanks

B Money
08-21-2010, 07:43 AM
for $20, have him do it

HoboMan
09-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Got my neck back today and put the guitar back together.

LOVE the feel of it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

bluesjuke
09-11-2010, 05:56 AM
I think this is the first time I've read about the wax.

Glad you like it!

HoboMan
09-11-2010, 07:29 AM
I think this is the first time I've read about the wax.

Glad you like it!

I liked the unfinished maple but it was getting dirty very fast.
The gunstock oil/wax is what Ernie Ball MusicMan uses on their guitar necks.

I played a used Axis and loved the feel.

As good as my neck feels now, the Luthier told me that it will feel even better the more I play it.

dspellman
09-11-2010, 09:13 AM
It's not an unfinished neck. Peavey HP necks are FINISHED in an oil finish. Carvin uses a tung-oil finish, others use bore oil, etc. These are all essentially wiping varnishes that, like plain old linseed oil, polymerize when they "dry." This is essentially the same thing used on gunstocks, etc.

The problem with oil finishes is that they stain easily (because they don't seal the ends of the grain) and they allow moisture into the wood in liquid form (rather than just as vapor).

The proper care for them is to wax them. Normally the wax used is good old Johnson's Paste Wax -- unadulterated carnauba wax in a tin. It does not build up, it does not give you a "waxy feel" or any of that. It maintains the finish, helps seal the grain and turns back moisture. I suggest NOT using silicon-based waxes or furniture polishes, but that's up to you. I'd also suggest not using lemon oil, etc.

Fusionshred
09-11-2010, 09:22 AM
AMAZING! I logged on today to ask this VERY SAME question! I have a gunstock oil finished neck and fingerboard (one piece maple) and after two days of playing, it's already getting dirty (probably some of the black I get on my fingers from the strings is rubbing off on the fretboard...

It just occured to me that maybe using coated strings like Elixers would reduce this since I don't get that black stuff all over my fingers like I do with a new set of strings (especially D'Addarios!)

I was going to ask how to clean, and then best keep clean, this type of neck. I've seen a lot of Music Man EVHs that have really dark necks.

I'm pretty sure my neck has the gunstock oil finish already. Should I clean with Murphy's iol soap and then coat with an application of pure carnauba such as mentioned above?

bluesjuke
09-11-2010, 09:25 AM
It's not an unfinished neck. Peavey HP necks are FINISHED in an oil finish. Carvin uses a tung-oil finish, others use bore oil, etc. These are all essentially wiping varnishes that, like plain old linseed oil, polymerize when they "dry." This is essentially the same thing used on gunstocks, etc.

The problem with oil finishes is that they stain easily (because they don't seal the ends of the grain) and they allow moisture into the wood in liquid form (rather than just as vapor).

The proper care for them is to wax them. Normally the wax used is good old Johnson's Paste Wax -- unadulterated carnauba wax in a tin. It does not build up, it does not give you a "waxy feel" or any of that. It maintains the finish, helps seal the grain and turns back moisture. I suggest NOT using silicon-based waxes or furniture polishes, but that's up to you. I'd also suggest not using lemon oil, etc.

I once redid an Explorer in a stain and afterward ended up just waxing it with Johnson's Paste Wax.
Sealed it wel didn't hurt the resonance, and you could not feel it at all when I buffed it by hand.

I was surprised how well that by itself worked so well.

dspellman
09-11-2010, 10:13 AM
I once redid an Explorer in a stain and afterward ended up just waxing it with Johnson's Paste Wax.
Sealed it wel didn't hurt the resonance, and you could not feel it at all when I buffed it by hand.

I was surprised how well that by it self worked so well.

Before Gibson began putting out its own guitar care products in tiny bottles, it recommended naptha for cleaning, mineral oil for the fretboards (on a very occasional basis) and carnauba wax for the finish and hardware.

HoboMan
09-11-2010, 02:02 PM
AMAZING! I logged on today to ask this VERY SAME question! I have a gunstock oil finished neck and fingerboard (one piece maple) and after two days of playing, it's already getting dirty (probably some of the black I get on my fingers from the strings is rubbing off on the fretboard...

It just occured to me that maybe using coated strings like Elixers would reduce this since I don't get that black stuff all over my fingers like I do with a new set of strings (especially D'Addarios!)

I was going to ask how to clean, and then best keep clean, this type of neck. I've seen a lot of Music Man EVHs that have really dark necks.

I'm pretty sure my neck has the gunstock oil finish already. Should I clean with Murphy's iol soap and then coat with an application of pure carnauba such as mentioned above?

Murphy's oil soap seems to be the recommended cleaner:

Q_he76aLykU

HoboMan
09-11-2010, 02:05 PM

I was not aware of the oil finish on my HP Special neck.
I could see there was some finish on the back of the headstock but the neck & fretboard seemed very unfinished.
The Luthier thought that someone may have sanded the neck because of the obvious finish on the headstock.

So far I'm really liking the gunstock oil finish. Seems like it will be easier to clean also.

Fusionshred
09-11-2010, 03:09 PM
That video was great! Thanks!

Drkorey
09-15-2010, 07:46 PM
marked for later search when i need to do this

shane88
09-15-2010, 08:58 PM
i've got 2 pv wolfgangs that are ~10 yr old and they've never been treated with anything - as far as i can see enough grease comes off ur hands to keep 'em 'lubed' - when i change strings i wipe them down with a damp cloth but there are grey fingerstains on the fb which i like the look of

stormin1155
09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
I've used plain old wood sealer with good results. It doesn't discolor the wood and it leaves the wood very natural feeling.

StealthHunter
09-15-2010, 11:56 PM
I use this on my tung-oiled neck

http://www.paint-store.net/store/images/T/min78600.jpg

billywade
09-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Just for clarification. I watched the video. The guy said no to oil on the fretboard. How do you guys feel about this? Oil/Finish on the fretboard OK? Also, am I hearing that you prefer straight carnuba to the Birchwood Casey wax as a top coat?

SgtThump
09-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Why do they say not to use lemon oil on maple fretboards? Anybody know?

I've had several guitars with unfinished maple necks/fretboards and I've always used lemon oil on the back of the necks. I'd apply it with a real fine steel wool (0000?), let it sit for a second, then wipe it off. It's amazing how smooth the back of the neck feels after that.

But I never did try it on a maple fretboard (only rosewood). I wonder why they say not to do that?

HoboMan
09-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Why do they say not to use lemon oil on maple fretboards? Anybody know?

I've had several guitars with unfinished maple necks/fretboards and I've always used lemon oil on the back of the necks. I'd apply it with a real fine steel wool (0000?), let it sit for a second, then wipe it off. It's amazing how smooth the back of the neck feels after that.

But I never did try it on a maple fretboard (only rosewood). I wonder why they say not to do that?

I asked the Luthier that did my neck about that. He said that Lemon oil is bad for the older Fender maple necks that had the gloss finish on them.

I asked him how I should care for my neck now that it is finished with the gunstock oil. He said to apply Birchwood Casey's wax once or twice a year as needed.

According to Peavey they recommend lemon oil on their maple necks.