PDA

View Full Version : Compressor before or after OD / distortion?

itgoesto11
08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
For those of us with a compressor on your pedalboards- do you prefer the compression before or after od/ distortion?

Thanks!

KevinFinn
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
I see more people with it before, but if I had it in one spot, it would be after - followed by a boost.

When it's before, it interacts a little better with your guitar. The problem for me is that it interacts with much less nuance and variety with your dirt. If you hit the OD/dist already compressed, you tend to get a lot more gain out of the pedals, which receive a more constant output. Sometimes that's cool.

But most often, I'd rather interact fully with my dirt, and run compression afterward to smooth the overall signal and volume, etc. It's better dynamically for me that way.

That said, when I run it after, I still apply a transparent boost after the compression for when I simply need MORE of anything.

THAT said... I have two compressors - one before and one after. ;)

vbf
08-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Conventional wisdom is to place it before, whcih is where mine is. I guess that makes me conventional? A follower? An inside the box thinker? :)

rusty a.
08-31-2010, 06:51 PM
When it's before, it interacts a little better with your guitar...If you hit the OD/dist already compressed, you tend to get a lot more gain out of the pedals, which receive a more constant output. Sometimes that's cool.

took me years to figure that out, but i love my rig set that way...used to think my OD into comp setup was too stuffy and limited...was a definite "aha moment" for me!

Slackerprince
08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
I have it before, on a low setting, and don't fool around with it.
My compressor is the least of my "GASSY, Upgrady" pedals.

S.

eternally found
08-31-2010, 08:01 PM
BEFORE! Sounds way more open.

CaptainAwesome
08-31-2010, 08:13 PM
When I used a Ross-style compressr I liked it after one drive pedal - now I use a Armstrong Squeezer style comp and it seems to like being first in the chain.

Steven
09-01-2010, 04:32 AM
As always - use your ears to find out what you like. I use compressor (MP FGC) in fron tom my Timmy and TS9 (but never use compressor with my fuzz or high gain sounds). A compressor after dirt might enhance the hiss and hum in the signalchain.

Fabiano 777
09-01-2010, 04:56 AM
For years i have used compressors before overdrive and distortion, but now i have a cheap DOD Milk Box comp. (great pedal for a cheap one, by the way) in my pedalboard, and it seems to work better after dirt sounds.
Primarly i use it with the Tube Screamer to add a lil' more punch and on clean sounds.

lux_interior
09-01-2010, 05:02 AM
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=7108493#post7108493

Stratobuc
09-01-2010, 05:09 AM
BEFORE! Sounds way more open.

This is how I run mine.

bsic
09-01-2010, 05:15 AM
I use it after.

Ive spent a lot of money on pedals such as the BJFE Honeybee, which react ultra well to picking dynamics. I want the sustain of a compressor, but not the attack squash.. I want that HBOD getting all the dynamics from my pickups. I run my comp after dirt, then i get the sustain of the compressor and still have the dynamics I love so much about my drive pedals.

Fabiano 777
09-01-2010, 05:23 AM
I want the sustain of a compressor, but not the attack squash

That's the same for me!