PDA

View Full Version : Best Marshall in a Box Pedal

aceycunes
09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Hi All!

I am new to the forum and just wanted to share that I experimented with some pedals to gig with and to get that heavy Marshall JCM 800-like sound that we all know and love. I've been gassing at the gearmanndude and Pro Guitar Shop demos on YouTube for a while now. My goal was to find "the one" pedal that I could put on my pedal board to settle down with and find my "tone companion" for the rest of my cover band gigging career, so to speak.

I tried them in my home and at low volume they all sounded great. Once volume gets up over certain level it seems like "everything" changes so I rented some space at the local studio so I could crank up to gig level.

I used a Dean Cadillac with DiMarzio humbuckers and a Fender style 6L6 clean tube amp.

These are the pedals I tested:
__________________________________________________ ____________

* LovePedal Purple Plexi
* Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion
* Devi Ever BIT fuzz
* Joe Satriani Vox Satchurator
* 80's ProCo Rat
* Pete Cornish P-2 Fuzz
* LovePedal ProValve Version 1
* HomeBrew Electronics Big D Distortion

I was hoping the winner would be the LovePedal Purple Plexi or the Mad Professor Might Red Distortion since they are smaller and take up less real estate.

Anyway the winner was the Love Pedal ProValve. I found it to be the warmest, heavy gain, amp-like sound without a lot of adjusting. It's found a place on my pedalboard. If anyone is curious about the pedals let me know and it's great to be on the forum!

Acey Cunes

Polynitro
09-02-2010, 08:15 PM
cool!

Are any of those BSIABII circuit? I have a CMATMODS Brownie which was specifically made for Fender amps. Sounds great!

wck
09-03-2010, 01:50 AM
The cornish, rat and BIT fuzz arent really marshalls in a box but thats not important..

Have u tried to DLS btw? Might not be the best in the standalone OD/Dist list but it stacks damn well.

Anw, mind giving us your top 5 from that list? im curious to know ;)

Agreed
09-03-2010, 02:33 AM
No offense intended, man, but that isn't really a list of Marshall-in-a-Box pedals to begin with, let alone a comprehensive one. I dig it if you had a bunch of pedals around and thought to see which of them had the most Marshall-like tone you could get behind, but half or more of those are not at all intended to be Marshall-in-a-Box pedals, and you didn't include many rightfully well-regarded pedals that are aimed specifically at the kind of sounds you're after.

At the end of the day what matters is that you found a pedal that you like, which accomplishes the goal you're after... But I don't know if that comparison is really all that relevant to the topic? Or what to take home from it, from an outside perspective. Heck, none of the pedals on that list are really anything like each-other at all. A Devi Ever BIT? That's aimed at turning your guitar's sound into an Atari/NES chiptunes synthesizer kind of sound. The Satchurator is a recreation of the Japanese DS-1, made in Japan, with a neat additional feature to increase the voltage at the clipping stage so you can have rhythm & lead tones on tap, but it's not Marshall-in-a-Box territory at all (remember, he gigs it with either his signature or with Marshalls, just like he used his old DS-1 pedals into a Marshall amp). The Cornish Fuzz, the ProCo RAT... those aren't MIABs, they're dirt boxes to hit an amp with to make the amp do nice things.

I'm being a downer here, and maybe it's inappropriate since I've got a pretty sizable Marshall-in-a-Box pedal collection and I'm adding more to it. I've reviewed several MIAB pedals for publication over at the web site in my signature. We did a roundup of some good and available MIABs last year. On that list of pedals, probably the only one which I would really consider missing from our MIAB roundup is the Purple Plexi. Maybe the Mighty Red, too. I don't own either and couldn't get my hands on them for the round-up, but I think they're fair game for that sound. The rest - even the one you settled on in the end - seem like they don't fit the basic criteria all that well. I see that it's a well-regarded pedal, the price is competitive with some of the other good Marshall-in-a-Box pedals I have reviewed, used, and/or own. That's great :) You found your sound.

So I am glad for you that you've reached the end of your tone search, that's something that's awesome on a personal level and it's a really good feeling when you just "click" with a pedal in a cool way. I don't know, though, if the list of pedals you put together is a representation of things that could reasonably be asked to make a Marshall noise. Am I alone in thinking this? I hope this doesn't come off as especially negative, I am happy that Mr. Cunes got what he wanted ultimately, but it just doesn't seem at all like a cross-section of MIABs out there. Whole lotta good pedals missing from the list, and some picks that don't make sense at all for getting that sound.

wck
09-03-2010, 03:10 AM
agreed: thats what i meant with my post..although i dont have experience with practically all the pedals the fuzzes there definitely dont do marshall.

andy888
09-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Try the Zvex box of rock or the Xotic BB preamp

Dangy1978
09-03-2010, 06:49 AM
I like the King of the Britians pedal with the boost for a nice MIAB, Box of Rock is good too, i also like the DMB Lexi peal. I have had all three of these and liked them all, and ended up with the Lexi.

linjor
09-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Zvex Distortron (which is essentially just the drive side of the BOR)

aceycunes
09-03-2010, 12:34 PM
cool!

Are any of those BSIABII circuit? I have a CMATMODS Brownie which was specifically made for Fender amps. Sounds great!

Hi Polynitro,

I'm not sure about the circuitry. Just buying pedals off of ebay and trying them out! Thank you!

Acey

aceycunes
09-03-2010, 01:20 PM
The cornish, rat and BIT fuzz arent really marshalls in a box but thats not important..

Have u tried to DLS btw? Might not be the best in the standalone OD/Dist list but it stacks damn well.

Anw, mind giving us your top 5 from that list? im curious to know ;)

Hi WCK,

I agree that the P-2 Cornish, Rat and BIT are not of the Marshall nature. I just wanted to get them all together in a room and get them to a loud gig level.

I have never heard of DLS effects. I'll have to check them out.

Below is the answer your question on the top 5 pedals for what I am trying to do:

Please bear in mind that I’ve spent the last 7 years as a simple guitarist in a weekend cover rock band. In my test I was using an 80's Dean Cadillac with stock Dimarzios and a "Fender style amplifier," specifically a Blankenship Fatboy Supreme with 6L6's and 1x15 inch speaker.

Another technical thing that I was keeping in mind while evaluating the pedals on was to do heavy rhythm work with the pedal and then hit a modded BOSS eq [GE sniper] after the pedal for volume boost for lead work.

Here is how they ranked:

#1. LovePedal ProValve Version 1 – Purchased on Ebay for $290 [they’ve come down quite a bit] - I was hoping this wouldn’t win because it’s a little large of a pedal and form the 2 gain knobs are kind of unnecessary for my pedal board set up. Regardless, due to the warmth and simplicity at high volume, it will be “wired” onto my board. I really liked that I didn't have to roll my guitars tone knob back to get the sound I wanted, too.

#2. Homebrew Electronics Big D Distortion – Purchased at a boutique guitar store for $200 - This was my main "heavy Marshall style" sound on my pedal board. It's a larger pedal and I was only using it with the diode selector all the way to the right. I was hoping to replace this with the Purple Plexi since it’s a smaller pedal. The Homebrew Big D at high volume level was fairly easy to control. It lost a few points for “warmness” [I feel like I’m wine tasting when I say “warmness” – It’s the only word that comes to mind!] next to the Provalve.

#3. Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion - purchased on eBay for $271. - I saw gearmandude demo this pedal and I wanted to try it. I felt like it did more of a high gain overdrive and lacked the “saturation” I wanted.

*4. LovePedal Purple Plexi - Purchased new for $200 - I liked the distortion and saturation at low volume levels, however when I turned it up in the studio, I had to roll the "intensity" way back to cut that "ice pick" in the ear sound and roll my tone knob back. I was tweaking knobs for a while to make it work, yet when I hit the LovePedal ProValve [these pedals are both made by the same guy, too] me ears just went “ahhh” and I was like, “I won’t have to worry about this at a gig…”

Below is just commentary since these aren’t Marshalls in Boxes.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
*Devi Ever BIT fuzz - bought on eBay for $70 -Yeah just a fuzz and I wanted to see what it did at high volumes
* Joe Satriani Vox Satchurator - EBay for $100 - Fun to play at low volumes, didn't have the warmth I was looking for at high volume levels.
* 80's ProCo Rat - purchased on EBay for $300 - I had heard that 80's models had the best amp-like sound so I tried one on my board for years. I thought I got that compressed 80's sound, though.
* Pete Cornish P-2 Fuzz - Purchased on EBay $750 6 years ago - The power and sustain of this pedal is unbelievable. I would use this at gigs during our low volume set and play the lead to "every Rose has it's Thorn." When we'd turn up on later sets I just had a hard time controlling the gain levels at the gigs. I would hit it and my amp would feed back, or there’d be so much gain it was just unwieldy for me. I found it a challenge to use for heavy rhythm work too. Plus it takes up a lot of real estate on small pedal board on a small stage. I plan on trying to learn how to use this and saving this for another rig in the future.

Thank you!

Acey

aceycunes
09-03-2010, 01:27 PM
No offense intended, man, but that isn't really a list of Marshall-in-a-Box pedals to begin with, let alone a comprehensive one. I dig it if you had a bunch of pedals around and thought to see which of them had the most Marshall-like tone you could get behind, but half or more of those are not at all intended to be Marshall-in-a-Box pedals, and you didn't include many rightfully well-regarded pedals that are aimed specifically at the kind of sounds you're after.

At the end of the day what matters is that you found a pedal that you like, which accomplishes the goal you're after... But I don't know if that comparison is really all that relevant to the topic? Or what to take home from it, from an outside perspective. Heck, none of the pedals on that list are really anything like each-other at all. A Devi Ever BIT? That's aimed at turning your guitar's sound into an Atari/NES chiptunes synthesizer kind of sound. The Satchurator is a recreation of the Japanese DS-1, made in Japan, with a neat additional feature to increase the voltage at the clipping stage so you can have rhythm & lead tones on tap, but it's not Marshall-in-a-Box territory at all (remember, he gigs it with either his signature or with Marshalls, just like he used his old DS-1 pedals into a Marshall amp). The Cornish Fuzz, the ProCo RAT... those aren't MIABs, they're dirt boxes to hit an amp with to make the amp do nice things.

I'm being a downer here, and maybe it's inappropriate since I've got a pretty sizable Marshall-in-a-Box pedal collection and I'm adding more to it. I've reviewed several MIAB pedals for publication over at the web site in my signature. We did a roundup of some good and available MIABs last year. On that list of pedals, probably the only one which I would really consider missing from our MIAB roundup is the Purple Plexi. Maybe the Mighty Red, too. I don't own either and couldn't get my hands on them for the round-up, but I think they're fair game for that sound. The rest - even the one you settled on in the end - seem like they don't fit the basic criteria all that well. I see that it's a well-regarded pedal, the price is competitive with some of the other good Marshall-in-a-Box pedals I have reviewed, used, and/or own. That's great :) You found your sound.

So I am glad for you that you've reached the end of your tone search, that's something that's awesome on a personal level and it's a really good feeling when you just "click" with a pedal in a cool way. I don't know, though, if the list of pedals you put together is a representation of things that could reasonably be asked to make a Marshall noise. Am I alone in thinking this? I hope this doesn't come off as especially negative, I am happy that Mr. Cunes got what he wanted ultimately, but it just doesn't seem at all like a cross-section of MIABs out there. Whole lotta good pedals missing from the list, and some picks that don't make sense at all for getting that sound.

Agreed,

Wow, thank you for your insight. I appreciate your experience on this topic and yes. I did just kinda grab a "basket 'o pedals" and was evaluating them for that gig-worthy "highly sturated classic-rock-ish" type of sound which I describe as "Marshall" in laymans terms... LOL!

I really wanted the winner to be the Purple Plexi, yet I was having trouble tweaking to get my sound. Could be a bunch of vairables with my guitar pickups and amp etc.

I didn't think your post was negative at all!

Which pedal won your MIAB pedal shootout?

Thank you,

Acey

aceycunes
09-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I like the King of the Britians pedal with the boost for a nice MIAB, Box of Rock is good too, i also like the DMB Lexi peal. I have had all three of these and liked them all, and ended up with the Lexi.

I have that KoTB pedal with the boost switch. I will keep it on my pedalboard, too. I did not include it in my evaluation as I've believed it to be good for the "less saturated" gain and use it for Rolling Stones/Tom Petty/John Cougar Mellencamp type rock tone. The pedal I was looking for was for the " saturated higher gain" sound ala Journey/Boston/Van Halen.

Any comments on that? Am I missing the point of the KoTB pedal?

wck
09-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I have never heard of DLS effects. I'll have to check them out.

sorry 4 the typo. its the catalinbread DLS, not DLS effects.

Anw, thanks for the detail rundown of the top 5 pedals, your setup and their uses. If u want something that can do heavy rhythm and lead maybe u can try the skreddy SD deluxe, great pedal..not a marshall sounding one tho

btw, good buy on the cornish..probably can flip it off for a big profit now haha :D

Agreed
09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Agreed,

Wow, thank you for your insight. I appreciate your experience on this topic and yes. I did just kinda grab a "basket 'o pedals" and was evaluating them for that gig-worthy "highly sturated classic-rock-ish" type of sound which I describe as "Marshall" in laymans terms... LOL!

I really wanted the winner to be the Purple Plexi, yet I was having trouble tweaking to get my sound. Could be a bunch of vairables with my guitar pickups and amp etc.

I didn't think your post was negative at all!

Which pedal won your MIAB pedal shootout?

Thank you,

Acey

Thank you for taking my post in the spirit it was intended, I could see how it might upset you if you weren't a little bit generous with me :)

It ended up being sort of a stalemate, or at least an impasse - different pedals are better at different things, so if you want a high-gain, modern shred kind of Marshall tone I can point you toward the Wampler Super Plextortion or maybe the Radial Tonebone Hot British, whereas if you want a really thick, classic kind of sound that can get hairy cranked check out the Wampler Plextortion. For a sound that's great for early '80s hard rock sounds and has a lot of definition without getting fuzzy or fizzy check out the ProTone Jason Becker Distortion. I was going to review the Barber Direct Drive as a MIAB, but ended up reviewing it on its own merits instead. It can get some great, amp-character distortion and it's highly responsive but it doesn't sound like a Marshall or a Mesa or whatever to me. Love the pedal, just didn't fit the "Marshall in a Box Roundup" even though before I got it in I thought it might from folks' descriptions of it. In the round-up, I reviewed half of them and my editor reviewed the other half, and I think in the end we differed in what we thought the best ones were, as you'd expect any two people to, right?

Sort of like the question "what's the best amp?" I can't tell you that for you :) I can describe what different pedals or amps do, talk about pros and cons of each, give you their price information. I try to provide clips for all of my reviews, though at the time of the MIAB Roundup I was in a tough spot trying to record the later reviews especially since my wife and I had all our stuff packed before moving out here, and I was using headphones and her laptop to record :bonk I ended up re-recording some clips, but not all of them, as a result.

In the end, hopefully I've given you some useful information to make an informed purchase, taking into account your own preferences. I've got my ears and no one else's, my budget and no one else's, my basic preferences and priorities when it comes to sound - and I understand that others have their own, it's as it should be, we'd have boring music if we all liked exactly the same sounds. Reviewing is a tricky enterprise because of all that, but I feel like I have to keep it in mind or else I don't serve the readers at all.

I just had some trouble with the nature of "Best Marshall in a Box Pedal" thread title followed by a lot of pedals that weren't MIABs by design or usage. Anyway - the salient thing here is that you got something that works for you. That's the goal. :beer

Ramblin390
09-03-2010, 03:12 PM
how about the crunch box mi audio

Ben C.
09-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Himmelstrutz... Fetto. (http://www.himmelstrutz.com/index.htm)

The ultimate for me, ended that whole search 3 years ago.

Davo17
09-03-2010, 05:24 PM
The OCD on HP mode.

Grizz_Lee
09-03-2010, 05:32 PM
The first thing that enters my mind when thinking Marshall in a box is either the jhs angry Charlie or the rothwell hellbender. Can find videos of both on you tube, I think they're the best when it comes to that sound. I think the jhs may be a little more versatile though.

vorokha
09-04-2010, 04:42 AM
How do you like here, this pedal?

O0DGsTyvBFg

philrob1
09-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Cornish G-2 is more Marshall in a Box than any of Pete's other products

fieldsroyal
09-04-2010, 04:49 AM
Best JTM45 - Working Man's Blue - level at 12 - gain at 11 - NAILS the clean but dirty Malcom Young tones - kick in Red Snapper for instant Angus!

wizard333
09-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Barber Direct Drive is THE Marshall in a box pedal. Even more versatile with the mod board. Played Marshalls for 30 years, heard all kinds of pedals that TRY to do it, DD is the only pedal that DOES do it.

wck
09-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Himmelstrutz... Fetto. (http://www.himmelstrutz.com/index.htm)

The ultimate for me, ended that whole search 3 years ago.

haha, i agree on that..prefer the Nord 70 to the Nord tho. Still saving up heh.

cbell2112
09-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Here is a list I found on another post:

Marshall
AMT British Sound
BJF Dyna Red
Carl Martin Plexitone
Catalinbread DLS
CMATMODS Brownie
Ed Guidry's BSIAB II
Electro Harmonix English Muff'n
Emma ReezaFratzitz
Fulltone OCD
GeekMacDaddy British Ball Breaker
Greer Amplification Sucker Punch
HAO Rust Driver
Himmelstrutz Fetto*
Indyguitarist Plexi-Drive
Indyguitarist Plextortion
Jetter Gain Stage Black
Jetter Gain Stage Blue
Jetter Gain Stage Purple
Kaden Brown Creeper
Line 6 Crunchtone
Lovekraft Mojodrive
Lovepedal COT 50
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 100
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
M.A.D. Cold Gin
Marshall Bluesbreaker
Mark I
Marshall Guvnor
Menatone Foxy Brown
Menatone King of the Britains*
Menatone Working Man’s Blue
MI Audio Crunch Box
OLC Eighteen (RunoffGroove)*
OLC Thor (RunoffGroove)*
OLC Thunderchief (RunoffGroove)*
Snarling Dogs Black Dog
Tech21 SansAmp British
Toadworks Death Rattle
Toadworks Mr. Ed
Tonebone Hot British
V-Stack Classic
Xactone Atomic Overdrive
Zvex Box of Rock*

Kind of depends on the amp you are using. I just purchased a Maz Jr and some of the pedals I didn't care for on my DRRI sound awesome on that.

bjjp2
09-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Wampler stuff is great too.

Garik Alengos
09-04-2010, 09:31 AM

:agree.... it's one of the best.

Ben C.
09-04-2010, 09:37 AM
haha, i agree on that..prefer the Nord 70 to the Nord tho. Still saving up heh.
And I prefer my Fetto Deluxe ;) ... but the basic sound is there and Joakim just has the right ears for it!

Garik Alengos
09-04-2010, 09:39 AM
How do you like here, this pedal?

O0DGsTyvBFg

It sounds good, but to my ears it's a little bit harsh sounding distortion. ;)

wck
09-04-2010, 09:41 AM
yup, all the fettos have that basic marshall sound but they do their own thing. Really good stuff by Joakim.

Its awesome what he squeezes onto that small pedal haha

89strat
09-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I'll 2nd the Barber Direct Drive.

Another suggestion is the Marshall Guv'nor. I mean, it's a marshall, isn't?

Grizz_Lee
09-04-2010, 02:56 PM
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DntepQvucDfY&v=ntepQvucDfY&gl=US

Check this. Rothwell hellbender vs Marshall plexi. There's a follow up video too!

AlvasMusic
09-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I work at music store (Alvas Music) & I get to hear a ton of FX pedals. The SWELL G-Valve is a cross between a late 1970s JMP & an early 1980s JCM800. This pedal should give you what your looking for. This is a video of another SWELL pedal but it should give you an idea of what they can do. http://www.youtube.com/gearmanndude#p/u/6/n9k2zjk6dME

Dangy1978
09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
no your not missing the point of the KOTB pedal. I guess that more of a plexish breakup pedal. If you want the saturation then look at some of the Wampler pedals or maybe even a Box of Metal?

fuzzface71
09-04-2010, 10:54 PM
My favorites are:

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/TONEBONE+CLASSIC.JPG

http://www.hsronline.biz/HSR%20gear%20photos/Pedal%20Effects/Marshall%20The%20Guv%27nor.jpg

Apeman
09-05-2010, 03:46 AM

+1 :aok Really dig the Pinnacle, and the Plexidrive is high on the list for future purchases.

I also like the Zvex Box of Rock, and the Zvex Distortron which has the same OD circuit but adds a high gain toggle and a very useful 3-way low end toggle (some people dislike the fat lows on the BoR). It drops the boost circuit though.

Agreed
09-05-2010, 04:21 AM
On the topic of Wamplers - I have a Plexidrive incoming, and a Plextortion and Super Plextortion in my collection. The Super Plextortion is hooked up right now. Really authentic sound, just thick and awesome.

A lot of which "MIAB" works for you has to do with your amp and how you set it. If you've got a darker amp, then a brighter-voiced pedal might be a better choice, and vice-versa. The Super Plextortion stays within the tonal range of the JCMs, getting into JCM2000 DSL territory when really cranked up. A treble booster up front gives it some lovin' punch if you lack treble; some people have asked about that lately, and personally I think it's just part of the characteristic Marshall driven tone. My ears aren't Tag's ears, Marshalls do not sound "fizzy" to me at all. Still, with a darker setup you can still get a more forward treble by cranking up the Highs and rolling back the Mid and Bass a bit. Use the tone controls, they're powerful.

The Plextortion is a little darker voiced, a little more old-school... Like a hot plexi kind of sound, but pre-JCM800. The big difference is between the low frequencies and the very high frequencies. The Plextortion can get some higher treble going on, and while the Super Plextortion doesn't have a lot of low bass but has a bit of a mid-bass emphasis to emphasize the guitar's fundamentals, the Plextortion is a little bit lower frequency voiced. Combined with the high treble capability, it's a distinct and interesting sound.

I can't wait to get the Plexidrive in and try it out, though lately it has been pointed out to me that I'm still not getting the full picture because as it happens the Pinnacle is another Marshall-in-a-Box kind of pedal. So I'll end up having to try that one out, too, to have a proper idea of where they all sit in relation to each other...

I recently got a MOSFET boost pedal in made by an HCFX member. It is not identical to the ZVex SHO, but it's pretty damned similar, so if you're familiar with the SHO and what it does then you'll understand what I mean when i say that hitting the Super Plextortion with the MOSFET booster has a really cool sound. A lot of higher gain pedals, especially, at 9V seem to be already tapped out at the rails, and can respond to very high boost levels by exhibiting some weird behavior... Almost like sag, but not in a pleasant way. The Super Plextortion just eats it up, though, and really lifts off. Experiment with boosting Wamplers, they tend to be able to take it. The Triple Recstortion sounds great on its own, too, but it can take a boost with class and sounds awesome in a different way.

Apeman
09-05-2010, 05:36 AM
The Pinnacle is known as a great EVH-in-a-box pedal. What many people don't know is that you can also get a great low gain tone out of it, and that it cleans up really well using the guitar's volume control.

The EQ section is a bit tricky but also very versatile. The Contour knob kind of controls the amount of midrange but also affects bass and treble to some extent. Rolled-off it will give you a sound that boosts mids, and full-on it will give you a scooped-mid sound. The Tone knob is like a treble control with a twist, seemingly changing the treble frequency focus rather than just boosting or cutting a set frequency.

It also has a 2-way toggle (or footswitch, if you get the wider version) to set the gain level, and another one to set the voicing. For darker amps, the "modern" voicing is great while bright amps work better with the "vintage" voicing.

Texsunburst59
09-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Here's a Marshall Blues Breaker II pedal in front of a Sewell Texaverb 25 6L6 amp. Basically it's a hotrodded Deluxe Reverb.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=633883&songID=6366151

'66 Fender Bassman head 6L6 with a Marshall BBII in front:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=633883&songID=5996190

'73 Fender Vibro Champ 6V6 with Marshall BBII in front. The BBII handled all the rhythm and lead tones on this clip.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=633883&songID=4866873

never-enough
09-05-2010, 11:26 AM
How is this thread three pages long, and no mention of the keeler push?

DR Washington
09-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Rockett Pedals Animal gets my vote.

porterburst
09-05-2010, 02:31 PM
My favorite pedal for 60's-70's classic Marshall tones is the Lovetone Brown Source.

It's such a misunderstood pedal because it doesn't kick out the typical overdrive most are use to in a pedal. It's meant to really work with your amps natural drive, and making it more classic Marshall sounding.

wingobingo
09-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Guv'nor - set it right and even a Silverface will sound like a plexi

freaksho
09-13-2010, 02:03 PM
*4. LovePedal Purple Plexi - Purchased new for $200 - I liked the distortion and saturation at low volume levels, however when I turned it up in the studio, I had to roll the "intensity" way back to cut that "ice pick" in the ear sound . . .

sounds to me like it NAILS the 800 sound. :D

guitkrazy
09-13-2010, 02:06 PM

The Super Plextortion is really the closest thing i have in my arsenal that sounds like my JCM800 cranked. It is a MIB (Marshall In A Box)

LouRossi
09-13-2010, 02:42 PM
My favorites are:
http://www.hsronline.biz/HSR%20gear%20photos/Pedal%20Effects/Marshall%20The%20Guv%27nor.jpg

I love this box;)

philrob1
09-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Pete Cornish G-2 is another

cajone5
09-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Best I've found so far is the BJFe DRD but it really shines when pushed with a clean boost or light OD

BluesHarp
09-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Best I've found so far is the BJFe DRD but it really shines when pushed with a clean boost or light OD

This or the DLS are very good indeed. Ive tried many.

To the OP: What did you learn from doing a search here on "marshall"? If you did search you would have found all this info, very current too.

mike361
09-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Wampler pinnacle. Hot Plexi but can do so much more. The contour knob is the key. Best MIAB that I have tried. I have the pinnacle reissue that gives you more drive on a footswitch but is very much like the pinnacle2 with a little less compression.

Hoth
09-14-2010, 09:02 AM

+1000 DRD is a desert island pedal if you like Marshall sounds

FXMonkey
09-14-2010, 11:52 AM
how about the crunch box mi audio

+1 on the crunch box (tough to beat especially for the price)

Charlie_Pace
09-14-2010, 12:17 PM

---

Interesting response, but if you already have a "sizable Marshall-in-a-Box pedal collection" (which I'm assuming is 150+ per pedal) why not just buy a Marshall and A/B that sucker to your clean choice amp?

Agreed
09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Good question! The answer is because I like pedals way too much, it's not as much a musical thing as a consumption problem. I don't mind acknowledging that. You definitely don't need a box full of pedals to make pretty songs. But I try to put it to good use by reviewing. If I'm going to have an unruly pedal habit, I might as well try and let it be helpful to somebody.

I already have the amp for me (THD Univalve, represent), and I primarily record digitally these days with amp modeling software. So when I want a new toy and can afford to spend a little bit of money, I tend to look in the pedal direction. MIABs were kind of a phase for me a year and a half ago, but it ended up being helpful when the site that I write for did a MIAB roundup. I was pretty much ready to go.

Thames
09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Carl Martin Plexitone... will cover anything from Superlead to JCM800 high gain.

Charlie_Pace
09-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Good question! The answer is because I like pedals way too much, it's not as much a musical thing as a consumption problem. I don't mind acknowledging that. You definitely don't need a box full of pedals to make pretty songs. But I try to put it to good use by reviewing. If I'm going to have an unruly pedal habit, I might as well try and let it be helpful to somebody.

I already have the amp for me (THD Univalve, represent), and I primarily record digitally these days with amp modeling software. So when I want a new toy and can afford to spend a little bit of money, I tend to look in the pedal direction. MIABs were kind of a phase for me a year and a half ago, but it ended up being helpful when the site that I write for did a MIAB roundup. I was pretty much ready to go.

Gotcha!

Hey man, I feel the same way sometimes.

Agreed
09-14-2010, 04:26 PM
The good news is that in terms of net worth, as far as I can tell my pedal collection has held on way better than stocks or housing since around 2007. :rotflmao

Plus, have you ever tried powering a house? It's a total pain, you have to contact the city. I can run these babies off of a 1-spot no problem.

sbsaint
09-14-2010, 04:42 PM
DOD YJM 308 if you can find one. Best dirt box Ive ever played. Sounds even better when plugged into a Marshall...

Zero G
09-14-2010, 04:51 PM
The Wampler Plextortion I had REALLY sounded like a Marshall Plexi. None of the clips I've heard have truly represented just how amp-like the pedal was in person.

BluesHarp
09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Did you have any luck searching some of the very extensive threads on this subject by using the search function?

Agreed
09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Did you have any luck searching some of the very extensive threads on this subject by using the search function?

I think you've confused me for the original poster.

BluesHarp
09-14-2010, 05:10 PM
True dat.

retro
09-14-2010, 05:42 PM
yup, all the fettos have that basic marshall sound but they do their own thing. Really good stuff by Joakim.

Its awesome what he squeezes onto that small pedal haha

For some odd reason he took down what I thought were the best Fetto audio clips...wish I had saved them...

nacho_grande
09-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Marshall Vintage The Guv'nor

Agreed
09-20-2010, 07:50 PM
I recorded a couple clips this morning for a gent in another thread inquiring about JTM45-in-a-Box.

Wampler Plexidrive
This clip is just the Plexidrive on its own. First I show the clean sound, then I get into the clip, starting on a setting I use as my preferred sound for the pedal but then tweaking the controls quite a bit as I go along to try to show some of its range. I didn’t cover the full range of the gain or tone knobs, but I did mess around with them quite a bit and I did click the switch on and off (affects the bass, but it also alters the sound overall as you’d expect). If you prefer a darker JTM sound, you can definitely get it; I guess I tend a little towards more forward upper midrange and treble. Still, I hope that the adjustments I make to it do show that it has range, because it definitely does and it’d be a bad demo if you came away thinking it was only capable of bright. I end it with a little bit of wanky silly lead with the gain set lower, because I think it has a nice responsiveness even with the gain down and I wanted to show that it can liven up when you dig into the strings a bit. If it couldn’t do that, wouldn’t rightly be called a JTM45-in-a-box style pedal!
http://tindeck.com/image/srgf/stats.png (http://tindeck.com/listen/srgf)

And here’s a clip of it boosted by the Paul Cochrane Tim. My Tim has toggles and I run it asymmetrical, but for this clip I set it to the “pushed-in” setting for its symmetrical clipping since not every Tim has toggles to get the asymmetrical option. This clip is kind of boring I guess, I just play something a time or two with the Plexidrive on its own, then I play something similar to it with the Tim on set for a slight gain boost, then I kick on the Boost footswitch (with the controls set aggressively, for a Tim) so it really kicks in. This clip has a bit where I kind of crib Link Wray’s “Rumble” and you can really hear some beating. Sorry, I just changed my string gauge and haven't had a chance to intonate yet. If I had my right angle screwdriver I could fix that with no hassle… but I still need to let the strings get fully stretched and actually decide whether I want to stick with this lighter gauge or go back to my 10-52 usual setup. Anyway, clip:
http://tindeck.com/image/gprh/stats.png (http://tindeck.com/listen/gprh)

tfunster
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I just got the Catalinbread DLS V.2. I'm not a huge pedal guy and I usually flip them shortly after trying them out.

When I first got the pedal, I was very disappointed---it was thin and compressed and just plain bad sounding. Then I tried turning up the volume knob to goose my amp (6G3 clone) and the pedal did a complete 180 and sounds amazing---very natural and very Marshally. It feels like a real amp and really does sound like one--- It would probably fool a lot of people who heard it on a recording.

I HIGHLY recommend the DLS.

Angelfire
03-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi to all, this is my first post here. I found the forum while looking for, well, a good Marshall-like OD/Dst pedal.

I have a SansAmp GT2 which I love, truly great, though it is one noisy cricket this one.

Anyway, I would suggest that anyone (specially the original poster) should really consider it for amp-simulations, and of course, if you want one specific amp, get the Tech21 character series, in this case, for Marshall, the British character series.

Well, but I´m here to ask an opinion myself. If we are looking for Marshall-like OD/Dst pedals, why is the Marshall Guv´nor 2 barely mentioned? I mean, it is made by the one company the others try to copy... unless it´s truly crappy, I think it should get a bit more attention, it may too underrated.

Well, any of you (looking a bit more at you Agreed) who have tried so many MIAB, what do you have to say about the "literal" Marshall in a (small) box?

ES330
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
If you use Humbuckers,
checkout the Freekish Blues M22 Rock Crusher !!!

Zero G
03-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Well, but I´m here to ask an opinion myself. If we are looking for Marshall-like OD/Dst pedals, why is the Marshall Guv´nor 2 barely mentioned? I mean, it is made by the one company the others try to copy... unless it´s truly crappy, I think it should get a bit more attention, it may too underrated.

The Marshall pedals have their fans. Keep in mind that making an amp and making a pedal are two vastly different things. Marshall are much more renowned for their amps.

The most realistic "Marshall in a box" I have played is the Wampler Plextortion, especially if you can crank your amp up. The vids I've seen do not truly represent how the pedal sounds in person. It really nails the Plexi tone IMHO.

Steve73
03-03-2011, 04:34 PM
DLS is the closest I've played to the sound of my '74 Marshall JMP cranked up.

indeedido
03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Rothwell Hellbender. Dig it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntepQvucDfY

iggypop
03-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Axe-fx lead models/jtm45 model/jcm800 model. And you get the Marsha BE/HBE, hot-rodded Marshall tones.
Hmmmmm wait - it´s not a pedal. But it´s a "box". You should get it anyway.

MBT74
03-03-2011, 07:39 PM
For the people who've tried both the Catalinbread DLS and the BJFE DRD, how do the tones compare? Are they both modelling roughly the same Marshall sounds?

Does the DRD clean up nicely or is it only for that well overdriven Marshall sound?

ce24fan
03-03-2011, 09:01 PM
gotta agree with "agreed". the direct drive is a excelllent pedal on it's own merit. i have owned an original and currently own a v1 super sport. not exactly what i would call a MIAB.

i personally like the CMATMODS brownie!

i would like to spend some quality time with:

wampler plexidrive
carl martin plexitone
JHS charlie brown channel drive

BluesHarp
03-03-2011, 09:44 PM
For the people who've tried both the Catalinbread DLS and the BJFE DRD, how do the tones compare? Are they both modelling roughly the same Marshall sounds?

Does the DRD clean up nicely or is it only for that well overdriven Marshall sound?

I had both and kept the dls. But I intended on buying the mad prof mrd ( same but tighter low end ) but havent got arount to it.

The dls is very good.. very amp like and dynamic. The DRD did high gain a bit better and had a great tone but I like the more pronounced mids of the dls and how well things stacked into it.

Coldacre
03-04-2011, 12:08 AM
this baby:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Coldacre/marshall-drive-master.jpg

I've owned all 4 Marshall pedals from 86-94 and this is the one you're talking about. the Guv'nor has the same circuitry, but the controls are on the outside, its colours are gay, and its a little darker in tone. the eq of the DriveMaster is more responsive.

americananalog
03-04-2011, 01:24 AM
I saw a demo of the GeekMacDaddy British Ball Breaker that was quite impressive. It really sounded like a cranked plexi. If anyone on the forum has any experience with this pedal please speak up.
http://www.bassexchange.com/catalog/images/geek_British_ball_breaker.jpg

Agreed
03-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Well, any of you (looking a bit more at you Agreed) who have tried so many MIAB, what do you have to say about the "literal" Marshall in a (small) box?

Appreciate the vote of confidence, man, but check the signature - I'm fairly limited on what I can say about pedals now, especially when it comes to comparing products from the brand I now represent to products from other brands. Please understand. By all means check my post history for past discussion of MIABs, I've got a bit of an obsession with the things (quite sated, now, but then it ought to be, I own most of them, I should think...).

In the most general terms, the original Guv'nor is a well liked pedal for reasons that are pretty obvious if you've played it. I like the second one, not the more recent sort of hot-rod looking MIC "Guv'Nor 2" with the Deep knob (a bit too deep for my liking, but I had a really fat cab at the time; it still sounded pretty good with the deep knob dialed all the way back, though) - I digress - the one I like is the one that was... made in Korea, I think? And there are plenty of pedals that start with a Guv'nor or some elements of the Guv'nor circuit and take it to new places tonally. But of course there wouldn't be builders and companies taking the concept and building onto it if the original concept weren't very good. Marshall deserves a lot of credit for inspiring later stomp box designs with that relatively limited early run of pedals, they did a few tricks for the first time and helped to expand the vocabulary of stomp boxes in a neat way. Good on 'em.

Angelfire
03-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Appreciate the vote of confidence, man, but check the signature - I'm fairly limited on what I can say about pedals now, especially when it comes to comparing products from the brand I now represent to products from other brands. Please understand. By all means check my post history for past discussion of MIABs, I've got a bit of an obsession with the things (quite sated, now, but then it ought to be, I own most of them, I should think...).

Welcome, as you said, I did look at your previous post, and that is another ´why´ I gave you the vote of confidence, rs.

I see you represent other brands, but come on, we are not at the store right now, and neither this is advertising or a commercial, so in here I take what you say ('write', to be more precise) to be honest thoughts, not selling stuff out.

Well, this forum was the first place I ever heard of the Dirty Little Secret (maybe because it´s kept as a secret ... :crazyguy :dude ), after doing some research, every owner of it seem to love it, the Youtube video reviews are awesome, I was blown away by the quality of the sound, this is pro´s gear.. even though every review plays the same Led Zep/ACDC/Texas-Country-Rock riffs. I am truly considering one of these, but I wanted to know how good it actually is for playing anything else, especially a bit heavier (say Metallica?) and solos such as Malmsteen (I love his sound).

What bugs me though is, if this pedal is such a wonder as everyone says, how come is so scarcely known?

Like I said, I have a Sansamp GT2 and I love it, even though it´s quite hard to silence (hmm, come to think of it, kinda like my wife..) even with a NS-2 Noise Gate. I can get awesome sounds with that black box, the GT2 can mimic Marshall and Mesa sounds with great fidelity; so far it´s the best I´ve seen (maybe short of the Character series).

1fastdog
03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
I saw a demo of the GeekMacDaddy British Ball Breaker that was quite impressive. It really sounded like a cranked plexi. If anyone on the forum has any experience with this pedal please speak up.

I have one, although I don't use it as my amp already does the Blues Breaker thing.

It's a very good take on the Marshall BluesBreaker 1 pedal, <which is no longer around>. It also has the added feature of the "presence" control which is worthwhile. Good quality components and build.

Very touch sensitive, superbly amp like. Uncompressed Plexi tone is this pedal's deal. Responds to pick attack and volume knob rolloff just like a Plexi.

If you lived in Florida I'd tell you come by and try it for yourself.

Zero G
03-04-2011, 11:01 AM
What about the Xotic BB Preamp? The BB stands for Blues Breaker.

MesaTone
09-09-2013, 03:49 PM
The best 'JVM Marshall-in-a-pedal' right now is the new TCJ Effects Kollmanation.

The boost side is like no boost I have ever played, and I've got several good ones, including the Luxury Drive in my Gristle King. Just the right amount of hair, without getting too fuzzy or crunchy. Full range (no bass cut) if that's what you're after. The LD is my favorite as an always on boost/buffer, even over the best of the Echoplex pre- clones, but the Kollmanation boost is more flexible. I'm sure he'd sell a bunch of these as a standalone pedal.

The OD side, well, it really isn't OD. I've got some of the better FET pedals, the FET Dream (which is very good, but needs a mid control), a Catalyst (I bought it to do what the Kollmanation boost side does, and it never did), and a Plimsoul, which is in the same 'camp' as the Kollmanation in terms of being 'Marshall flavored', just more of the cranked Plexi rather than a JVM (with my SD-1 in front, I get great ZZ Top and Led Zeppelin. I will always have a Plimsoul. And that fizz people complain about? Put a .001 ceramic cap - has to be ceramic - across the volume pot outside lugs. Just remove the battery door and it's right in front. Kills the buzz and turns it into a completely superior pedal).

What Tim has done with the Kollmanation is stuff a modern Marshall into a pedal. It sounds like an amp, it plays like an amp, and makes all the little noises and harmonics that a cranked amp would make. It works with the volume knob on the guitar, and is an absolute gamechanger. I might guess, not having heard one in person but having listened to all the clips and knowing the history of Bogner, that he's possibly done the same with his Ecstasy pedals, but in my opinion Tim has clearly achieved the Holy Grail of pedal design - stuffing a Marshall in a small metal box using FET's (well, on the distortion side). With both sides on, and boosted with a Boss SD-1, it sounds just like Zakk on his early Ozzy albums, thick and tight.

I'm not a touring player, but for the guy that needs to carry a modern Marshall with him for plugging into any backline amp he finds, or even a great full range (no bass cut) boost this is the real deal. I would say Tim's crossed the line where players don't need amps anymore, just a good poweramp. I've thought about this for awhile, the future being FET pedals that mimic - or exceed - real amps, and a player only needs to plug into a poweramp or good DI box. Personally, I see no need to purchase a Marshall JVM, when this pedal is available and will do the same thing, for a great price.

Right now, Tim seems to be the only one that can build an amp into a box with FET's. He is the only one (and maybe Reinhold) that has made the leap from 'still sounds like a pedal' to 'sounds and plays like an amp'.

Poderoso
09-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Necropost!!!

Sorry I had to..

Jess 1971
09-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Lol shill post.

Chonny
09-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Theres so much shilling on this forum. I refuse to even write small reviews because of it. Sometimes I do I guess but I have to really care.

4styx
09-09-2013, 06:46 PM
I've had a small box version on my board for 5 years and nothing else can touch it(pedal-wise). Very tight,in fact I prefer it to cranking my Metro 50. The controls are very interactive,lots of variations in tone to be had.Everything at 1:00 is a great one.

d3nzi0
09-09-2013, 06:58 PM
In my limited experience the MI Audio Crunchbox through a Hotrod Deluxe sounds very convincing as a Marshall - especially during gigs where I get the opportunity to really crank the amp.

Also the Blackstar HT Dual does the Marshall sound very well - I managed to make it sound like my TSL combo at home and during jams.

Preacherofrock
09-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Modded ds-1 :hide

alguit
09-10-2013, 08:21 AM
I really liked the one demo from the with Kollman playing a modded strat into a Marshall and then a 4x12. The other demo, with him playing a Les Paul into a Twin, didn't do it for me.

Please don't get me wrong-I one and love a Gristle King V3 and also have a Luxury Drive-they are about the best at what they do, for my tastes. However, I'd like to hear a demo of the Kollmanation into an open-backed amp better recorded than the one on the site. That demo recording lacks the presence and beef of the other recording, even taking into account the equipment differences.

Of the pedals I own, my 7-knob Menatone KoTB and the newer Xotic SL are doing it for me with any guitar and amp combo.

QUOTE=MesaTone;16286357]The best 'Vintage Marshall-in-a-pedal' right now is the new TCJ Effects Kollmanation.

The boost side is like no boost I have ever played, and I've got several good ones, including the Luxury Drive in my Gristle King. Just the right amount of hair, without getting too fuzzy or crunchy. The LD was my favorite, even over the best of the Echoplex pre- clones, but the Kollmanation boost is more flexible, especially with the low end adjustments. I'm sure he'd sell a bunch of these as a standalone pedal.

The OD side, well, it really isn't OD. I've got some of the better FET pedals, the FET Dream (which is very good, but needs a mid control), a Catalyst (I bought it to do what the Kollmanation boost side does, and it never did it), and a Plimsoul, which is in the same 'camp' as the Kollmanation in terms of being 'Marshall flavored'. Clearly, Fuller pushes the Plimsoul as a 'Marshall-in-a-box' with more accuracy than a bucket brigade box, and it does a very good job, but at the end of the day, it still sounds like a pedal.

What he's done with the Kollmanation is stuff an old Marshall in a pedal. It sounds like an amp, it plays like an amp, and makes all the little noises and harmonics that a cranked amp would make. It works with the volume knob on the guitar, and is an absolute gamechanger. I might guess, not having heard one in person but having listened to all the clips and knowing the history of Bogner, that he's possibly done the same with his Ecstasy pedals, but in my opinion Tim has clearly achieved the Holy Grail of pedal design - stuffing an old Marshall in a small metal box.

I'm not a touring player, but for the guy that needs to carry an old Marshall with him for plugging into any backline amp he finds, this is the real deal. I would say Tim's crossed the line where players don't need amps anymore, just a good poweramp. I've thought about this for awhile, the future being FET pedals that mimic - or exceed - real amps, and a player only needs to plug into a poweramp or good DI box. Personally, I see no need to purchase an old Marshall, or a new one that 'sounds' like an old Marshall, when this pedal is available and will do the same thing, for one hell of a great price.

Right now, Tim seems to be the only one that can build an amp into a box with FET's. He is the only one (and maybe Reinhold) that has made the leap from 'still sounds like a pedal' to 'sounds and plays like an amp'.[/QUOTE]

theonlychrisj
09-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Don't think about it. Just go order a Mood Swing by Arlon Prince. The best freaking Marshall pedal on the freaking market.

http://www.arloart.com/index.php/products/

alguit
09-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Don't think about it. Just go order a Mood Swing by Arlon Prince. The best freaking Marshall pedal on the freaking market.

http://www.arloart.com/index.php/products/

What makes it so "don't think about it" worthy? I'm asking in all earnestness; I checked out what vids I could find on the Internet, and it sounds pretty good, but nothing knocked me out-I much prefer my Menatone, for instance.

What makes it so "freaking" good, in your opinion? Do you have, perhaps, some more convincing clips you could share with us? Thanks!

Alan

theonlychrisj
09-10-2013, 09:03 AM
What makes it so "don't think about it" worthy? I'm asking in all earnestness; I checked out what vids I could find on the Internet, and it sounds pretty good, but nothing knocked me out-I much prefer my Menatone, for instance.

What makes it so "freaking" good, in your opinion? Do you have, perhaps, some more convincing clips you could share with us? Thanks!

Alan

I wish I had clips to share. It's just a fantastic pedal. The videos don't do it justice at all. I've played a lot of m-style pedals, including the Menatone, and nothing comes close to the lively-ness of the MoodSwing.

I hate to use that terminology, but it's true. The pedal makes your amp a Marshall, no matter what logo is on it. The mids are acute and defined and the lows retain the gain definition (they aren't flabby) better than most m-style pedals.

tguyfr
02-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Have you mentioned the Van Weelden Royal OD ? Seems to be the ultimate Marshall in a box...

handyman11
02-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Keeley DS-1 never seems to get a ton of credit ....but as long at the tone knob is'nt too high , sounds good on every amp I've ever played it through ...

Black Dog
02-17-2014, 12:11 PM
I use my white face reissue rat for this kind of thing. I really dont care if it doesn't match every tiny nuance of the Marshall sound, it has that screaming midrange and that is all I need it to do.

oasis02
02-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm always on the hunt for a something Marshall-y that turns a clean amp into a stack, has some versatility, and does not hiss like a snake.

I thought I had hit the holy grail with a recently-purchased Vintage Gun'nor in excellent condition. I LOVED everything about the tone I was getting but...it was admittedly "boxy" sounding. It just did not have the three-dimensionality that most of today's better pedals had.

I visited a local shop that had this:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x266/oasis02/jube_zps72b7f8ae.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/oasis02/media/jube_zps72b7f8ae.jpg.html)

TC Jauernig's Jubilee. A couple years ago, I tried his 1-800-Gain on a lark and really enjoyed it.

Problem solved. I can dial-in a tone that mirrored what I liked in the Gov'nor, but now there is additional "fullness" to the sound. This pedal also features a boost that can be used seperately, and has already served a purpose.

I have it sitting next to a Pinnacle Deluxe. I seems like a good pairing because it seemingly shifts the tone from 70's to 80's.

Because it's never over, I ordered a Weehbo JCM Drive with the Prez Day sale promo. The JTM/JCM combo should be very interesting...

crambone
02-17-2014, 12:34 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the Xotic SL Drive is the pedal you are looking for.

eclipseall
02-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Amptweaker Tight Rock

Waxhead
02-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Hi All!

I am new to the forum and just wanted to share that I experimented with some pedals to gig with and to get that heavy Marshall JCM 800-like sound that we all know and love. I've been gassing at the gearmanndude and Pro Guitar Shop demos on YouTube for a while now. My goal was to find "the one" pedal that I could put on my pedal board to settle down with and find my "tone companion" for the rest of my cover band gigging career, so to speak.

I tried them in my home and at low volume they all sounded great. Once volume gets up over certain level it seems like "everything" changes so I rented some space at the local studio so I could crank up to gig level.

I used a Dean Cadillac with DiMarzio humbuckers and a Fender style 6L6 clean tube amp.

These are the pedals I tested:

* LovePedal Purple Plexi
* Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion
* Devi Ever BIT fuzz
* Joe Satriani Vox Satchurator
* 80's ProCo Rat
* Pete Cornish P-2 Fuzz
* LovePedal ProValve Version 1
* HomeBrew Electronics Big D Distortion

I was hoping the winner would be the LovePedal Purple Plexi or the Mad Professor Might Red Distortion since they are smaller and take up less real estate.

Anyway the winner was the Love Pedal ProValve. I found it to be the warmest, heavy gain, amp-like sound without a lot of adjusting. It's found a place on my pedalboard. If anyone is curious about the pedals let me know and it's great to be on the forum!

Acey Cunes

Most of the pedals you've listed do not sound like Marshall JCM amps at all or any marshall i've heard.
Most of the pedals other people have listed don't sound like marshall amps either imo :)
Good idea if you go play some JCMs before people make these silly claims.
I did own a JCM800 and have gigged with many other JCMs & other marshalls.
Been testing marshall in a box pedals for yrs now.

Best imo is the new Super Crunchbox - best for JCM & Plexi.
2nd best is still the original Crunchbox :)

nolenuttt
02-17-2014, 07:09 PM
MI Audio Super Crunch Box does it for me-Great Marshall in a small box-:bumpbump

Holzar88
02-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Weehbo JCM Drive/JMP Drive/JVM Drive. Best MIAB pedals I've played. (Or, at least what I think are MIAB pedals).

foodforthegods
02-17-2014, 09:17 PM
I love my rockett animal. So far, the most amp like pedal marshall type of OD.

TomVanDeven
02-17-2014, 09:18 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the Xotic SL Drive is the pedal you are looking for.

+1!

johnh
02-18-2014, 04:21 AM
Love this thread. Thanks to the OP and to Agreed for their very valuable input. I have no idea why the search for Marshall tones in a tiny box captures my imagination like it does, but it has cost me quite a bit! My current favourites are:

OCD - my fav pedal. There are more Mashall sounding boxes, but the OCD is a better all round pedal IMO than most of the others. I end to run the OCD for my main sound and then switch on another MIAB after the OCD for heavier rhythm or solo sounds.

DLS mk3 - incredible pedal. Very un-pedal like tone stack which needs careful attention when setting it up. Cleans up well. Just fantastically realistic Marshall tone.

Wampler Plextortion - I love the pedal. Thicker tones than the DLS. Does a great, low gain , old fashioned Marshall Plexi tone. The best of the bunch for what I'm looking for - which is to run after my OCD as a one touch pedal for heavier, thicker solo tones. Cleans up less well than my other pedals. The 3 band eq is very powerful. Have I mentioned how thick sounding this pedal is?

Rothwell Hellbender - nice pedal. Very similar to the OCD. Not as much output volume as some of the others. Cleans up well. I sold this pedal.

Rockett Animal - I haven't fallen in love with the pedal as a MIAB as others have. I find it a little too soft sounding in the midrange. A bit like a super modified tubescreamer. It is a lovely pedal, and I use it as the most fabulous boost, but not as a stand alone tone generator.

Menatone King of the Britians - awesome pedal. Limited in my set up because it has slightly less bass and more treble than I would like, but it's a really detailed, authentic sound. Like a bright sounding Marshall. I often think this might be the highest quality MIAB of all my pedals, but it just doesn't work quite as well as some of the others in my particular setup.

Emma Reezafratzitz - great, great pedal, but I struggled to get the lower gain tones to do exaclty what I wanted, which was more mids and less JCM800 sounding. If you want a slightly heavier, more modern tone, this one is fantsastic. I replaced the Emma with the Plextortion, and I really like the flexibility the 3 band eq gives.

TC Dark Matter - surprisingly nice MIAB. I liked having separate treble and bass controls. 18 volts improved the pedal. At the end of t he day, i got a bit cork-sniffery about it, and figured that the tone was slightly more mass-produced and less detailed than the other pedals I still own. However, the core tone was definitely very good and I'd be happy gigging with the pedal anywhere. Good clean up too.

tguyfr
02-18-2014, 10:15 AM
http://youtu.be/md0z22SMr_A
Enough marshally ?

ejkennedy
02-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Most of the pedals you've listed do not sound like Marshall JCM amps at all or any marshall i've heard.
Most of the pedals other people have listed don't sound like marshall amps either imo :)
Good idea if you go play some JCMs before people make these silly claims.
I did own a JCM800 and have gigged with many other JCMs & other marshalls.
Been testing marshall in a box pedals for yrs now.

Best imo is the new Super Crunchbox - best for JCM & Plexi.
2nd best is still the original Crunchbox :)

Spot on. What I was thinking while reading this thread.

superslidetail
02-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Here's my experiences with this pedal style and what I've owned:

Bogner Ecstasy Red - This is what I currently own. I think its the best one out of what I tried plus all of its built in options, a little pricy though. Sounds great plenty of gain for me.

Bruce Bennett Music Labs Brown Sound - Not high enough gain for me. JTM45-ish? Essentially an MXR Distortion Plus circuit I believe. Not bad sounding though.

Cmatmods Brownie - Probably the best bang for buck of the ones I've owned. Pretty high gain and 9v or 18v option. Cheap but a little noisy.

JHS Angry Charlie - Plenty of gain but sounded pretty sterile to me, didn't like it too much. A little too expensive for what really is (MI Crunch Box)

Mad Professor 1 - Sounded great, plenty of gain on tap plus the option of reverb but MP snuck an unadvertised gate effect in there that kills this pedals usability for me. Make sure you try before you buy.

Marshall Shredmaster - Sounded great, just the right amount of gain. This was my runner-up, can't go wrong here. Another plus, the prices on these have dropped recently.

Toadworks Mr. Ed - Demos sounded good but yuck, hated it. No more than a medium gain pedal. Maybe mine was broken? Rare but generally really cheap, might be worth it to take a shot on for the price.

Wampler Pinnacle - Sounded good but didn't seem to stand out to me, plenty of gain though. The Marshall and Bogner sounded better imo.

Xotic SL Drive - Another good JTM45 tone. Not enough gain for me but sounded good and its cheap.

Zvex Box Rock - Possibly my first MIAB pedal. Had enough gain when both sides were engaged but did get fizzy IIRC.

tulk1
02-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Did not read every reply. Has the Marshall Shred Master (original black box) been mentioned? It was every bit a Marshall in a Box pedal.

superslidetail
02-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Did not read every reply. Has the Marshall Shred Master (original black box) been mentioned? It was every bit a Marshall in a Box pedal.

I just mentioned it in the post above yours...and yes its sounds great imo.

tulk1
02-18-2014, 11:06 AM
I just mentioned it in the post above yours...and yes its sounds great imo.Ah, there it is. I did even look at your list, just missed it. My bad!! And good call.

Waxhead
02-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Love this thread. Thanks to the OP and to Agreed for their very valuable input. I have no idea why the search for Marshall tones in a tiny box captures my imagination like it does, but it has cost me quite a bit! My current favourites are:

OCD - my fav pedal. There are more Mashall sounding boxes, but the OCD is a better all round pedal IMO than most of the others. I end to run the OCD for my main sound and then switch on another MIAB after the OCD for heavier rhythm or solo sounds.

C'mon John :)
Yes there's more Marshall sounding pedals - like probly 50 or more.
I have an OCD and like it but it is simply does not sound marshall like at all imo.
I wish it did cos it would have a lot more character if it did.
Not on any setting or the 3 different amps i've played it through.
And why people so often list this pedal (along with many others that don't sound like marshall amps) in the MIAB category makes me suspect they've never played or owned a marshall tube amp :)

MesaTone
03-19-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm not an expert on all the different Marshall models/tones, but I can say, without any doubt, the 'Bombastortion' from TCJ Effects, with a slightly dirty boost (I use the TCJ 'Kollmanation' boost channel for this), sounds exactly like Gary Moore's best recorded tones. Thick and rich, with great clarity. Without the slightly dirty boost, I hear a lot of early Alvin Lee/Ten Years After, which came as a complete surprise.

I know Gary Moore used a cranked JTM-45 and a TS, and I can get the same tones (close enough without spending $$$) with the above set up. It absolutely lights up my 2nd channel on my Mesa Mk IV, and I've never found a pedal that sounds good on that channel - nothing. I spend more time with this than the Lead channel. Hmm, time to reconsider the weight factor . . .

The biggest surprise is the Bombastortion at low gain, no boost. It sounds exactly like Johnny A's tone from his 30th Anniv. Marshall, 2nd channel. Exactly!

If any of this is the tone you're looking for, it's all here. Tim builds some fantastic pedals. One of the best.

johnh
03-19-2014, 03:52 PM
C'mon John :)
Yes there's more Marshall sounding pedals - like probly 50 or more.
I have an OCD and like it but it is simply does not sound marshall like at all imo.
I wish it did cos it would have a lot more character if it did.
Not on any setting or the 3 different amps i've played it through.
And why people so often list this pedal (along with many others that don't sound like marshall amps) in the MIAB category makes me suspect they've never played or owned a marshall tube amp :)

Hi Waxhead, I agree that there are more Marshally pedals. My Plextortion, DLS and King of the Britians all sound more like genuine Marshalls than the OCD. But I still think the OCD is a lovely, sweet sounding all-rounder.

Agreed
03-20-2014, 06:33 AM
I have tried a lot of OCDs and it has never sounded even a little Marshall-like to me. But it does sound good. I keep wanting to get one and keep picking other stuff but one day :p

billyguitar
03-20-2014, 08:13 AM
An OCD sounds like a Marshall with a blown screen grid resistor to me!

liberator32
03-20-2014, 08:29 AM
King of the Britains

johnh
03-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Kind of the Britians is indeed an outstanding pedal. Looks even better on the inside. Best clean up I've ever experienced in any pedal.

melodiusthunk
03-25-2014, 08:47 PM
The best I have tried:

7 knob King of the Britains
4 Knob, small box (MKII I think??) Workingman's Blue
JCM Drive

Bogner Blue also sounded great, but didn't care for the way the Boost worked, and almost has too many tonal options (I must be gettin' old).