PDA

View Full Version : 1spot vs. daisy chain out of tuning pedal

kylekorby
09-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Ok so some guy at guitar center told me (i know, i know, a terrible way to begin a conversation) that using a one spot to power my pedals would be better than running a chain (such as the one made by Roland http://www.buyanalogman.com/Boss_PCS_20A_Daisy_Chain_Cable_p/boss-pcs-20.htm) out of my tuning pedal? Supposedly the tuner method would not have nearly as much power for my small arsenal of pedals, and would therefore be far inferior to a one spot which would be pricier. Any thoughts on this?

jnepo1
09-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the power out of tuners such as the Boss TU's and the Polytune are simply just a jack to emulate a daisy chain? If anyone actually knows, please chime in.
My argument in bringing this up is, you still need a power source like a wallwart or PP2+, etc. to get power to the tuner. No matter what power source you use, it still requires a transformer of sort. The tuner alone based on a 9V and minimal mA consumption could not power another pedal w/o the additional power from a PSU. So primarily, if you use a 1Spot to power your tuner, the tuner is just another pedal in the daisy chain. Or if using a power outlet off of a PP2+ or similar PSU, you could use the tuner as a daisy chain off of the tuner.

candletears7
09-05-2010, 06:44 AM
you need to google the draw of your pedals combines. If your pedals need more juice than what your tuner can put out, then things won't be real good. Work it out. If your pedals' out can supply enough juice, you'll be fine. Check the specs.
Let me guess, the Guitar Centre guy was waving a 1spot under your nose? (cough...upsell, cough...)

jzero
09-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Also, if you have more than one Line6 pedal, expect horrendous buzz from daisy-chaining power with a one-spot.

kylekorby
09-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Let me guess, the Guitar Centre guy was waving a 1spot under your nose? (cough...upsell, cough...)

Ya he was totally trying to make a sale

vbf
09-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I have had pretty good luck running other Boss pedals daisy chained from a TU-2. Other pedal manufacturer's pedals, however, may not like it. I freely daisy chain Boss pedals together but run separate 9V feeds for others or run em' all off a single OneSpot.

Using a OneSpot as the source for power, save for some weirdness with my BBE Sonic Stomp, I have not had any problems daisy chaining Boss and non-Boss pedals together. And I'd like to take this opportunity to brag on OneSpot. Their customer service is fantastic.

JeffOlson
09-05-2010, 09:38 AM
I've done it both ways: run a daisy chain off a Boss tuner using a Boss wall wart to power the tuner, and just run everything off a OneSpot (or Godlyke). I have not had any problems either way. However, I stopped using a tuner pedal, so I now use a OneSpot (or Godlyke) if I have several small pedals I want to keep chained together for a time. (I change my pedals out quite frequently and often just use battery power.)

Moe45673
09-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Generally, people power their Boss TU-2 with a Boss PSA adaptor (9VDC at 200mA). This is fine for using it to power other pedals as long as the total draw of all the pedals is less than 200mA. Throw in a Boss DD-7 or DD-20 and you're already going over that total.

The 1spot and Godlyke adaptors, last I checked, have 1700mA. They're not necessarily better (ie if you're running 5 dirt pedals, you won't have an issue) but if you're running more, better to be safe than sorry. The rep at GC was most likely correct in this instance but it's up to you to figure out if you need it.

Btw, I have used a godlyke for the last 5 years and it's great.

kylekorby
09-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm actually going to be using a Korg Pitchblack tuner, and the power adapter I have is a Harman Pro Group (digitech) 300mA. I think it should be sufficient for my tiny pedal arsenal (digidelay, cool cat transparent overdrive, and rat2)

forgivenick
09-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Its funny cause a guy @ gc told me the opposite, that it'd be better to power my korg pb with the 1spot, then run the daisy out the korg to the others. The ma draw from all the other pedals was way more than the 200ma max that come out the korg and it made all my pedals noisy, esp the dd20. Running all direct from the 1200ma output 1spot made it all better.

kylekorby
09-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Trial and error time then!