PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to get drums onto a JamMan

stratmosphere
09-06-2010, 08:18 PM
To those who own a JamMan loop station (or any other looper that this applies to): part of the pedals official description of the features is this "Load up the JamMan with bass lines, drums, harmonies, and more; create an entire backup band, take it with you, and perform anywhere" But how do you do it?? Anyone that can solve this mystery for me would be a huge help to me as I want to use it to jam over a drum beat but havent figured out how. Thanks everyone!:band

Last
09-06-2010, 08:35 PM
The absolute 'BEST' way would be to have an actual drummer using a Digital Drum Set.

Aside from that I'm fairly certain you can either find or purchase Drum (Kit) beat tracks from around the WWW.

I thought the same thing too, so you're not alone.

I ended up with an RC-2 instead of the Jamman though. Not because it has Drum Kits but because I heard it isn't as bad @ sucking tone out of your original signal.

I dunno though, I had an 'Original Jamman' & got so bad that I actually used it on a whole other amp.

Yes, I'm weird as I'm sure there are ways around it.

Good Luck~!

TheFlash
09-06-2010, 08:36 PM
You have to use the software and hook the jamman up to your computer. I have successfully loaded some self-created drum loops that I made in Ableton Live into my jamman stereo using the software.

tim gueguen
09-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Either you record those instruments into one of the tracks on it one at a time, or you import audio files of some sort from your computer.

stratmosphere
09-06-2010, 08:45 PM
You have to use the software and hook the jamman up to your computer. I have successfully loaded some self-created drum loops that I made in Ableton Live into my jamman stereo using the software.

How do you go about creating drum loops on the computer. I figure since i can import mp3's i could get an mp3 of a drum loop and store that. i just dont know where to find or how to make the loops.

stratmosphere
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
The absolute 'BEST' way would be to have an actual drummer using a Digital Drum Set.

Aside from that I'm fairly certain you can either find or purchase Drum (Kit) beat tracks from around the WWW.

I thought the same thing too, so you're not alone.

I ended up with an RC-2 instead of the Jamman though. Not because it has Drum Kits but because I heard it isn't as bad @ sucking tone out of your original signal.

I dunno though, I had an 'Original Jamman' & got so bad that I actually used it on a whole other amp.

Yes, I'm weird as I'm sure there are ways around it.

Good Luck~!

I heard (through a thread I made :D) that the new JMS doesnt suck tone like the old one did. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=745771

eagle2x
09-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Another option is a Roland sampler with pickup. I saw a very gifted player record his loops live and he used the Roland pickup to get his drums on the loop. Simply beautiful and done on the fly.

TheFlash
09-06-2010, 09:06 PM
How do you go about creating drum loops on the computer. I figure since i can import mp3's i could get an mp3 of a drum loop and store that. i just dont know where to find or how to make the loops.

You should be able to find loads of free drum loops already made online with some searching. If you want to create your own, you'll need some software that allows you to create a loop and then save it as a .wav or .mp3 file. There are free options available for that as well, but any music software generally has a bit of a learning curve.

Another option would be to get a hardware drum machine and just record straight into the jam man. Then you wouldn't need to mess around with the computer at all.

LPJunior
09-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Do your bass lines, drum beats...etc.etc on garageband save it as an mp3 and load it on to the Jamman, or just record it onto it...

JeffOlson
09-06-2010, 09:36 PM
GarageBand?

stratmosphere
09-06-2010, 09:54 PM
My brother has a drum machine that I could borrow, its an Alesis sr18. Would I be able to use this to record to the jamman?

LPJunior
09-06-2010, 09:58 PM
My brother has a drum machine that I could borrow, its an Alesis sr18. Would I be able to use this to record to the jamman?

sure, as long as it has a 1/4 in out jack

also, another way is pluging in an iphone/ipad and using a drum/piano/guitar app.

Wolfboy1
09-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Take out the SD card and load backing tracks on it....that is the absolutely easiest way

Try here:
http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list

here are some specific "jam tracks"
http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list&cat=Jam Tracks

78deluxe
09-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't remember where I got this from, but this is accurate (for the old non-stereo Jamman)

• How do I import loops from another source?
The audio format needs to be uncompressed .wav 44.1 kHz 16 bit mono; the file needs be named LOOP01, LOOP02, LOOP03, ECT. The wav needs to be named LOOP. Record a loop on the JamMan, connect the JamMan to the computer, and double click on the JamMan folder, then double click on the LOOP01 folder or the folder of the loop # you created. At this point you will see the loop WAV file and the XML file right click on the loop wav file click properties, click the summary tab. You need to make sure that the wav file you are trying to place on the JamMan matches these Loop properties.
The XML file is not needed in the loop01 loop02 loop03 ECT folder if you are placing loops created from another source onto the JamMan. The XML file is associated with the rhythm for loops created on the JamMan and is not necessary for loops created from another source

• What must be done when importing loops from a computer to the JamMan Looper?
When downloading .wav files into the Jamman, there is short protocol to follow:
1) .wav files need to be 16 bit, 44.1K sampling rate
2).wav files must be MONO, not stereo files.
3) Create a folder in the JAMMAN drive that shows up when you plug in the USB connection, by right clicking, select NEW>FOLDER, and name the folder LOOP01, LOOP02, etc.
4)Before dragging the .wav file into the created folder, rename the wav file LOOP.wav