PDA

View Full Version : cost of finishing a basement

parns2112
09-17-2010, 11:47 AM
hey y'all,

how much would it cost to finish a full-size basement in a colonial home? long island area, if that matters and affects the cost...i'm curious what the forum users have been in for price-wise

i'm thinking full-size basement, colonial home, to make it mostly into a jam space but also be able to do some light recording (i.e. one instrument at a time, mainly guitar)

thanks!

parns2112
09-17-2010, 11:49 AM
p.s. no bathroom, wet bar needed...just a pure music room

direwolf
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Get some free estimates. Make sure the outer walls are done right so you don't grow mold. I would consider steel studs only, with a proper barrier at the floor contact. GFI breakers in the fuse box. Carpet squares are rated for cement contact and work well. But if you have head room go for a rubber wood system under your feet. Mold resistant dry-wall.

http://basementflooringguide.com/floating-subfloor/

tone4days
09-17-2010, 03:42 PM
ball park? for a contractor to do it? ... figure $30 / sq foot ... give or take depending on 'extras' or luxury upgrades

EricPeterson
09-17-2010, 03:48 PM
I just re-did mine. I did the framing, dry-wall and paint by myself, had the carpet done professionally. I spent around 1700 bucks in all. It is about a 500-600 square foot job. The bathroom was already done. We were able to reuse a lot of materials though, and a couple walls were done already. What really surprised me was the cost of carpet. we went cheap at 1.29/sqft got them to throw in the pad for free and even got them to come down a bit on the labor and were still about 1000 bucks for carpet. And trust me when the installers got there they were not happy to be installing for what we paid.

Route234
09-17-2010, 03:51 PM
If you are paying someone bank on spending between 15-25k unless you can someone who is very cheap. Make sure, if you are hiring someone, to make them get a permit so that the electrical work and plumbing are inspected. I always hear about people doing it cheaper, but guys who do good work are going to want that kind of money. Id also think long and hard about putting a bathroom down there if its possible. Major resale value and convenience.

tdawg
09-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Im looking to do this too, first thing I am getting done this year is to get a good drain system installed as my basement floods. Next year going to get it framed out and perhaps partially finished. Its alot of work, but It adds significantly to houses value and usefullness. What i really want is a soundproof jam room in the basement, but we will see if that fits into the budget. ha

Route234
09-17-2010, 04:11 PM
I was looking at what I paid and I think the 30$ a sq foot was spot on....but I did not have any sound proofing done which is big. My son plays drums down there and it is VERY loud. Especially if he has a bass player too. I should have gotten him a guitar instead....

parns2112
09-17-2010, 11:24 PM
guys -- thanks so much for the advice!

semi-hollowbody
09-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I am by no means a carpenter or a handyman...but I bought a book or two from home depot and learned how to frame walls...its very easy...buying tools might get a tad pricey however...

If it were me and I was finishing a basement for a music room, (after doing a ton of research on music room necessities ) I would frame the walls myself and layout the electrical outlets myself...i might pay an electrician to install a breaker panel JUST for my music room and run wires from it to a few junction boxes...then I would do the rest of the wiring myself...I would pay someone to drywall/mud/sand the room(s)

If its a basement the actual walls might not need soundproofing but you will want to soundproof the ceiling...something between the joists and the drywall

Rhomco
09-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Or Poly?
I had to............:rotflmao
Rob

parns2112
09-18-2010, 11:28 AM
what did you guys do for floors? my girlfriend is thinking pergo/laminiate

Steve73
09-18-2010, 11:45 AM

I went with laminate in my basement. I recommend putting DriCore panels underneath the laminate. They are a little expensive, but really warm up the basement and help eliminate any moisture issues. No regrets with mine.

parns2112
09-24-2010, 03:08 PM
any suggestions on guitar stands that "class up the place?"

direwolf
09-24-2010, 07:02 PM

http://wilsonart.com/

They use this on that show where they re-do basement apartments. I used it on my first floor and it is tough and elegant. There is a special under plastic for concrete. It can't sit in standing water, although I had some spare pieces in my garage submerged all winter and it was unaffected.
good luck.